Once upon a time, there was an on-topic MUSIC discussion in RMB and RMBM

RichL

Feb 4, 2011, 3:18:51 PM2/4/11
....initiated by this post:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.beatles.moderated/msg/7ed6afba158fe62b

The subject was the analysis of the opening chord to "A Hard Day's Night"
based on a paper written by Brown:

http://www.mscs.dal.ca/~brown/n-oct04-harddayjib.pdf

(the link has changed since my earlier post). Basically, I demonstrated
that his analysis was false. Gory details contained in the first link
above.

Anyway, I was pleased to receive in my e-mail today a message from someone
(who I don't know) who had read the earlier discussion and who uses
FFT-based software called Transcribe. He gave me a link to an analysis of
the AHDN chord using Transcribe, which may be of interest to some:

https://sites.google.com/site/ahdnchord/home

Note there are several different related pages in the links to the left on
the page.

The bottom line: The analysis using Transcribe (and, importantly, HUMAN
EARS) completely supports my earlier analysis.

The site as a whole constitutes some really interesting reading material!

His conclusion, on the "Why all the fuss?" page: "If these pages can go
some way to redressing the balance away from Dr Brown and stressing the
importance of LISTENING TO SOUNDS while analysing music then the project
will have served its purpose."

Amen.

--

All follow-ups are directed to the newsgroup rec.music.beatles.moderated.
If your follow-up more properly belongs in the unmoderated newsgroup, please