"Ten ton...heavy thing"

Er...Um...Could you repeat the question?

Nov 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/2/95
Can someone explain the begining of Empire to me. That part about "It
sorta hit me like a...ten ton...heavy thing."

Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations

"If most people said what was on their minds, they'd be speechless!"
-A.E. Neuman

Jason Kramer

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
In article <47c9qh$s...@ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>, tar...@ix.netcom.com (Sean Stewart ) says:

>In <Pine.HPP.3.91.95110...@river.it.gvsu.edu>
>"Er...Um...Could you repeat the question?" <stra...@river.it.gvsu.edu>
>writes:
>>
>>Can someone explain the begining of Empire to me. That part about "It
>
>>sorta hit me like a...ten ton...heavy thing."
>>

>This line is immediately followed by the beginning of the song which
>with its agressive sudden start hits the listener over the head (and
>ears) exactly like a "ten ton...heavy thing".

First of all, its a TWO ton heavy thing. Second, they guy is
referring to the drugs he just took.
Jason Kramer
jkr...@mars.superlink.net
http://mars.superlink.net/user/jkramer/index.html
Kramer's Korner- Official Site for King's X Mail List back issues

Michael McCormick and/or Amy Spalding

Nov 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/6/95
In article <47k8tk$h...@nyx10.cs.du.edu>,
bcan...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Macky Stingray) wrote:
>In article <Pine.HPP.3.91.95110...@river.it.gvsu.edu>,

>Er...Um...Could you repeat the question? <stra...@river.it.gvsu.edu> wrote:
>>Can someone explain the begining of Empire to me. That part about "It
>>sorta hit me like a...ten ton...heavy thing."
>
> I think the actual words are something like:
>
> "Sorry... it's just starting to hit me like a... oh... um... 2 ton...
>heavy thing"
>
> As far as what they mean? I have no idea. (But someone probably does.
>Anybody?)
>
> -Ben

I think it was just humour. There is a phrase which used to be cliche but I
guess it isn't anymore since no one here seems to have heard it:

"It hit me like a two ton weight."

So, it's kind of funny when the guy tries to use the phrase, but forgets the
last word and says "heavy thing" instead.

Michael McCormick

_ELAN_

http://www.infonet.net/showcase/elan

David Waldron

Nov 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/6/95
Stewart ) wrote:

> In <Pine.HPP.3.91.95110...@river.it.gvsu.edu>

> "Er...Um...Could you repeat the question?" <stra...@river.it.gvsu.edu>

> writes:
> >
> >Can someone explain the begining of Empire to me. That part about "It
>
> >sorta hit me like a...ten ton...heavy thing."
> >

> This line is immediately followed by the beginning of the song which
> with its agressive sudden start hits the listener over the head (and
> ears) exactly like a "ten ton...heavy thing".

I'm not sure how true this is, but I heard that it is a copy of a message
the Geoff or Mike left on his own answering machine one night...

--
"What is history but a fable agreed upon?" - Napoleon
dwal...@q.continuum.net

JaiPiper

Nov 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/6/95
Interestingly enough,

The date from the answering machine previous to this message was Geoff's &
Susan #1's wedding date in 89.

jai

Joe Arena

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
I think that the "two ton heavy thing" line isn't really before Empire...
but after Another Rainy Night... And it's not an answering machine
message... it's voice mail...

These are very subtle observations.. but with QR, subtelty is important.

LADIEINBLK

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
In article <47f07c$b...@earth.superlink.net>, jkr...@mars.superlink.net
(Jason Kramer) writes:

>First of all, its a TWO ton heavy thing. Second, they guy is
>referring to the drugs he just took.

Is the "drugs" comment a fact, or your interpretation? Please answer, I
would really like to know. I never took it that way.

Thank-you & Peace,

("Fight The Good Fight", Triumph)

David Winfield Bartek

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
zach gemmill (za...@lsil.com) wrote:
: In article s...@ixnews6.ix.netcom.com, tar...@ix.netcom.com (Sean Stewart ) writes:
: >In <Pine.HPP.3.91.95110...@river.it.gvsu.edu>

: >"Er...Um...Could you repeat the question?" <stra...@river.it.gvsu.edu>
: >writes:
: >>
: >>Can someone explain the begining of Empire to me. That part about "It
: >
: >>sorta hit me like a...ten ton...heavy thing."
: >>
: >
: >This line is immediately followed by the beginning of the song which
: >with its agressive sudden start hits the listener over the head (and
: >ears) exactly like a "ten ton...heavy thing".

: Isn't that a dub of Ronald Reagan? Is this in the FAQ? (sorry if
: it is, I haven't read it in a couple of years).

: Since the song is mostly a criticism of the social problems of
: the '80s, and if this is a RR dub, I'd say it's a character attack
: on RR using one of the idiotic things RR he said as an example.
: Given the lyrical content of most QR songs, I doubt they vote
: Republican !>)>

: Zach

The quote has nothing to do with Ronald Reagan (one of the greatest
presidents this country has ever had, by the way IMHO)...

the band has said that the quote was left on Geoff's voicemail by
i believe their road manager when he was really drunk.. they had
been drinking, and i believe they said that he was running round
the halls of this hotel naked.. he called geoff's machine and left
that message.. they thought it was funny and decided to stick it
on Empire... that is what i remember from several interviews during
the empire era

dave
ry...@tamu.edu
http://http.tamu.edu:8000/~dwb4025

Phil Torretto

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95

> The quote has nothing to do with Ronald Reagan (one of the greatest
> presidents this country has ever had, by the way IMHO)...

Let's not start a political debate in the Queensryche newgroup.....

> the band has said that the quote was left on Geoff's voicemail by
> i believe their road manager when he was really drunk.. they had
> been drinking, and i believe they said that he was running round
> the halls of this hotel naked.. he called geoff's machine and left
> that message.. they thought it was funny and decided to stick it
> on Empire... that is what i remember from several interviews during
> the empire era

Yes I think that's right I remember reading something to this effect back
when Empire was first released...

Later
Phil

Paul Ready

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
zach gemmill <za...@lsil.com> wrote:
>Isn't that a dub of Ronald Reagan? Is this in the FAQ? (sorry if
>it is, I haven't read it in a couple of years).

Uhh, doesn't sound like him. Maybe you're thinking of Def
Leppard's "Gods of War" and the "Today we did what we had to do..."
speech?

We've already gone over political leanings. I believe at least
some members of the band said they supported Bush in '92.

>Since the song is mostly a criticism of the social problems of
>the '80s, and if this is a RR dub, I'd say it's a character attack

Uh, it's about drugs and crime, and the focal point in the
middle of the song is about lack of funds for law enforcement.
Getting more funds there, and a "tough on crime" stance is
traditionally a right wing issue. The song is rather pollitically
incorrect, when it comes right down to it: "Black man, trapped again,
holds his chains in his hands. Brother killing brother for the
profit of another..." doesn't sounds too left to me.

>Given the lyrical content of most QR songs, I doubt they vote
>Republican !>)>

Such as? Operation: Mindcrime? Remember, the speaker in most of
that album is Nikki, an insane heroin addict.

"Lead me, the leftist cries, as the right subsides"

There are plenty of examples in their lyrics that attack both sides
of the political struggle. From interviews, I'd say that they are
pretty open minded about things, more so than most people I know,
and more so than you seem to be.

Macky Stingray

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
In article <torretto-0...@fish.llnl.gov>,

Phil Torretto <torr...@sirius.llnl.gov> wrote:
>> the band has said that the quote was left on Geoff's voicemail by
>> i believe their road manager when he was really drunk.. they had
>> been drinking, and i believe they said that he was running round
>> the halls of this hotel naked.. he called geoff's machine and left
>> that message.. they thought it was funny and decided to stick it
>> on Empire... that is what i remember from several interviews during
>> the empire era
>
>Yes I think that's right I remember reading something to this effect back
>when Empire was first released...

Hey, cool! I'll never listen to that segment the same way again. (I thought
it was faked.) Say, is this in the FAQ? Do you think it's worthy of being
put in?

-Ben
--
--Ben Cantrick. Email to cant...@nyx10.cs.du.edu--
>"Some people think of their body as a temple. I like to think of mine as an
amusement park." -Warren's Kei, via Yuri. >"You never know how far a frog
will jump until you punch it." -Hillary Clinton, speaking on my campus.

Jason Kramer

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
In article <47nr81$k...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, ladie...@aol.com (LADIEINBLK) says:

>In article <47f07c$b...@earth.superlink.net>, jkr...@mars.superlink.net
>(Jason Kramer) writes:
>
>>First of all, its a TWO ton heavy thing. Second, they guy is
>>referring to the drugs he just took.
>

>Is the "drugs" comment a fact, or your interpretation? Please answer, I
>would really like to know. I never took it that way.

Its just my interpretation, but I believe its right. Just listen
to the guy's shaky voice.

Doug Roussel

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
Paul Ready (rais...@expert.cc.purdue.edu) wrote:
: zach gemmill <za...@lsil.com> wrote:
: >Since the song is mostly a criticism of the social problems of
: >the '80s, and if this is a RR dub, I'd say it's a character attack

: Uh, it's about drugs and crime, and the focal point in the
: middle of the song is about lack of funds for law enforcement.
: Getting more funds there, and a "tough on crime" stance is
: traditionally a right wing issue.

I would disagree. I think we have seen a complete reversal in the last
5-10 years or so. Most of the supposed "tough on crime" legislation
introduced recently has been championed by the left, at least on the
federal level. The right has been becoming more and more libertarian and
fearful of Big Government solutions to societal problems. Check out where
most of the support for the most recent Crime Bill, proposed anti-terrorist
legislation, gun control, federalization of certain crimes, etc. is coming
from.

: The song is rather pollitically

: incorrect, when it comes right down to it: "Black man, trapped again,
: holds his chains in his hands. Brother killing brother for the
: profit of another..." doesn't sounds too left to me.

How is this politically incorrect? I don't know anyone, left or right, who
won't admit that black-on-black crime and drug use are wreaking havoc in
urban America. You'd have to be pretty darn PC to take offense at the
use of "black man" in this context. The song is quite sympathetic to the
plight of the inner cities, if you ask me.

Doug

Robert E Mandeville

Nov 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/9/95
(Jason Kramer) writes:

>First of all, its a TWO ton heavy thing. Second, they guy is
>referring to the drugs he just took.

Actually, what _is_ it? If I remember correctly (I can't find my
tape), this is is wedged in between "Another Rainy Night" and
"Empire". This could link to "Empire", because of the lack of time
between them (the word "thing" seems to be the cue for "Empire"'s
opening riff). However, the voicemail is in "Another Rainy Night"
("you have _no_ messages...").

The man is apparently coming back to some semblance of reality (which
is why it's starting to hit him), but hasn't quite got his mind
together yet (which is why he pauses and says "heavy thing" instead
of, say, "load of bricks"). This could mean coming off a drug trip.
I don't see him as having just taken drugs, as he'd be leaving normal
reality instead of re-entering it. It could mean that he's reacting
late to a severe shock--too many rainy nights, perhaps?

--rR
--
Rob "ReRob" Mandeville, rem...@world.std.com
Virtual Labs, Inc., Eyrie Publications, Uninc., Computer Sports Systems

Paul Ready

Nov 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/9/95
Doug Roussel <do...@freud.inst.com> wrote:
>Paul Ready (rais...@expert.cc.purdue.edu) wrote:

>: Getting more funds there, and a "tough on crime" stance is
>: traditionally a right wing issue.

>I would disagree. I think we have seen a complete reversal in the last
>5-10 years or so. Most of the supposed "tough on crime" legislation
>introduced recently has been championed by the left, at least on the

Maybe in the last couple of years, but this was '90 and it wasn't really
so then. The left has touted measures such as gun control as one means
for law enforcement, the right considers that stomping on the constitution.
It's a leftist view to make a criminal to be a victem of society, to
oppose 3 strikes laws and the death penalty (Texas nonwithstanding).
Depends on which proposed solution to crime you are talking about,
but remember for whatever reason, fair or not, in '90 the Democratic
party was considered soft on crime.

>: The song is rather pollitically
>: incorrect, when it comes right down to it: "Black man, trapped again,
>: holds his chains in his hands. Brother killing brother for the
>: profit of another..." doesn't sounds too left to me.

>How is this politically incorrect? I don't know anyone, left or right, who
>won't admit that black-on-black crime and drug use are wreaking havoc in
>urban America. You'd have to be pretty darn PC to take offense at the

It's accusing the street dealers and end users of the products as somehow
actually being responsible for their situation. Those words were rather
shocking at the time, the users had become victems of the society. I don't
see much PC anymore, at least not much that's way out of line as it was a
few years ago. If a politician had said something like that he would have
been crucified then by the media, or should I say a white male politician
(as most are). Never mind that the line is on the mark....

At any rate, that's about far enough off topic, sorry about that.

Paul

Doug Roussel

Nov 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/9/95
Paul Ready (rais...@expert.cc.purdue.edu) wrote:
: Maybe in the last couple of years, but this was '90 and it wasn't really

: so then. The left has touted measures such as gun control as one means
: for law enforcement, the right considers that stomping on the constitution.
: It's a leftist view to make a criminal to be a victem of society, to
: oppose 3 strikes laws and the death penalty (Texas nonwithstanding).
: Depends on which proposed solution to crime you are talking about,
: but remember for whatever reason, fair or not, in '90 the Democratic
: party was considered soft on crime.

Yeah, I suppose that is true, the flip-flop wasn't so obvious back in 90,
but even back then Empire didn't impress me as being a pro-rightwing song,
mainly for its advocating of federal remedies to the crime problem. Even
though the Republicans were perceived as the tougher of the two on crime,
their rhetoric was and is very much against throwing federal money at
the problem, opting rather for tougher sentencing and like you said, stomping
on the constitution, giving law enforcement officers more power, etc.
Nowadays, it seems the left is supporting the majority of the constitution-
stomping, with gun control, proposed "hate speech" legislation, and so on.

: >How is this politically incorrect? I don't know anyone, left or right, who

: >won't admit that black-on-black crime and drug use are wreaking havoc in
: >urban America. You'd have to be pretty darn PC to take offense at the

: It's accusing the street dealers and end users of the products as somehow
: actually being responsible for their situation. Those words were rather
: shocking at the time, the users had become victems of the society. I don't

Yeah, this is true. But is the "Empire" being referred to here just the
network of street pushers, users, and gangs, or does it include the big-
time drug operators as well, which the left would point to as the ultimate
cause of the problem?

Doug

Paul Ready

Nov 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/9/95
Doug Roussel <do...@freud.inst.com> wrote:
>Paul Ready (rais...@expert.cc.purdue.edu) wrote:

>: It's accusing the street dealers and end users of the products as somehow
>: actually being responsible for their situation. Those words were rather
>: shocking at the time, the users had become victems of the society. I don't

>Yeah, this is true. But is the "Empire" being referred to here just the
>network of street pushers, users, and gangs, or does it include the big-
>time drug operators as well, which the left would point to as the ultimate
>cause of the problem?

Good point. I had always thought of the Empires that were being built
were the petty local gangs and street pushers. The users really don't
fit in except as "peasants" or "commoners" in this empire, they really
aren't a part of it. And of course the big time operations are there,
and the most important piece, but they're not really involved at the
petty street level with who's actually out there pushing. It also
points to the futility of the little local empires, because no matter
what they may think, they aren't really getting anywhere, except maybe
to the morgue.

Brother killing brother FOR THE PROFIT OF ANOTHER

But that isn't the focus of the song, it still goes back to the
choices an individual makes, as it follows Johnny (Nikki) from
working a job at the cinema to being a dealer.

Jonathan Poet

Nov 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/17/95
In article <47mg8q$n...@usenetz1.news.prodigy.com>,

True ... it is important.

For those people who aren't familiar with the CD, the speech does in fact
sit at the beginning of Empire, not the end of Another Rainy Night.

Personally, I think it's just someone who has taken a pretty strong hit
of something or other. It goes along with the song, but really isn't a
key part, because the message is a first person kind of thing. The rest
of the song is very third person oriented. In fact, the "voice" of the
song almost seems like someone who isn't even American. It's almost
saying, "Hey look at this wacky society in which poor inner city kids are
killing each other over drug empires. And the government does do anything
about it."

--
-----
Jonathan C. Poet Drexel U. st92...@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu

"Step inside everything, everything's all clear. Maybe I could
find some inspiration here." -Catherine Wheel

David B. Goldberger

Nov 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/18/95
In article <47t4k6$p...@prop.wes.army.mil>,

Doug Roussel <do...@freud.inst.com> wrote:
>Paul Ready (rais...@expert.cc.purdue.edu) wrote:
>
>Yeah, this is true. But is the "Empire" being referred to here just the
>network of street pushers, users, and gangs, or does it include the big-
>time drug operators as well, which the left would point to as the ultimate
>cause of the problem?
>

> Doug

Or could the Empire refer to the entire network of government and police
force and criminal element? If the government makes drugs illegal, don't
they generate the niche for the big-time drug operators? Doesn't the
government generate the crime, then fight it with a police that further
ingrains the notion of crime into society?

David

Joseph Marc Baylot

Nov 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/22/95
Isn't the line

"Brother killing brother
for the profit of another gamepoint?"

Just curious.

Peace
-Joe

"Good night and grease for peace."
-Bowzer from Sha-Na-Na

Catherine Andrulis

Nov 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/22/95
jmba...@ocean.st.usm.edu (Joseph Marc Baylot) writes:

>Isn't the line

>"Brother killing brother
>for the profit of another gamepoint?"

Sort of. I always heard:

"Brother killing brother for the profit of another.
Gamepoint: nobody wins."

Cathy

David Waldron

Nov 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/23/95
In article <48u0h6$m...@thorn.cc.usm.edu>, jmba...@ocean.st.usm.edu
(Joseph Marc Baylot) wrote:

> Isn't the line
>
> "Brother killing brother
> for the profit of another gamepoint?"
>

> Just curious.
>
> Peace
> -Joe
>
> "Good night and grease for peace."
> -Bowzer from Sha-Na-Na

I think its more like:

"Brother killing brother
for the profit of another.

Game point, nobody wins."

Jeff Archer

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95
In article <48h4ef$d...@noc2.drexel.edu>,
Jonathan Poet <st92...@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu> wrote:
>In article <47mg8q$n...@usenetz1.news.prodigy.com>,

>For those people who aren't familiar with the CD, the speech does in fact
>sit at the beginning of Empire, not the end of Another Rainy Night.

That could just be an error in where someone separated the tracks. The voice
mail message is much more a part of Another Rainy Night (which is about a guy
waiting for a phone call as much as anything else) than one Empire. I can't
think why it would be useful/appropriate for someone to be apologizing for
something at the beginning of Empire; It's a very unapologetic song :-)

>Personally, I think it's just someone who has taken a pretty strong hit
>of something or other. It goes along with the song, but really isn't a
>key part, because the message is a first person kind of thing. The rest
>of the song is very third person oriented. In fact, the "voice" of the
>song almost seems like someone who isn't even American. It's almost

Naaah, that voice has to be from an American. Un-patriotic, arguably, but
what's more American than that? :-) In fact, it always sounded like a cop
talking through a bullhorn to me.

--
-Jevanyn
I'm on a mission from Mr. Roper! Norman Feld commands me!

robertle...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2019, 9:10:24 PM7/30/19
I have tried like Hell to remember where I first heard this and cannot figure it out. Queensryche do not have the corner on the market for this statement. If anybody knows where this originated, I would gladly accept their input. Robert Leslie