Mariah Carey Newsgroup FAQ, Part 1 of 5 (monthly)

Kade Hansson

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
Archive-name: music/mariah-carey-faq/part1
Posting-Frequency: monthly (final Wednesday)
Last-modified: 1998/08/28
Version: 30

The Mariah Carey Newsgroup Frequently Asked Questions
(for rec.music.artists.mariah-carey)
Issue #030 (27th August 1998)

The maintenance of this FAQ is a non-profit project of Kasoft Typesetting, a
division of Kasoft Software, Australia. The editor and author, Kade "Archer"
Hansson, can be reached by e-mail at kad...@postoffice.utas.edu.au.
Corrections, additions and all forms of feedback are encouraged.

Copyright in this document is retained by the author, and it may not be
adapted or offered for sale or hire, in whole or in part, without prior
arrangement with Kade Hansson.

Extensive hypertext versions of this document (baseline HTML, suitable for
all browsers), are available at

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/6413/MCFAQ-index.html
http://www.newageco.com/mariah-faq/
http://www.ellipsiiis.com/MariahOz/Info/Faq/CareyM/

The hypertext version (from which plain text is generated) includes local
links to full lyrics and cover thumbnails, as well as selected articles and
photographs. It is developed using Stuart Brodie's ArcWeb, designed for Acorn
RISC OS.

New readers should read the general section first, and then to browse through
the music, movie, personal information and miscellaneous sections. People
with a strong interest in Mariah Carey may like to browse the fan section, to
find out about fan clubs and collectables. Regular computer users may also be
interested in the technical section.

At the end of the FAQ I give a selected bibliography. I also list some
articles about Mariah and interviews she has done.

See question G3 for recent developments, including the imminent release of
Mariah's first hits compilation "Ones".

INDEX OF QUESTIONS AND TABLES

General questions

G1. Who is Mariah Carey?
G2. What kind of articles are posted on the newsgroup?
G3. What is Mariah's most recent work?
G4. Where can I find lyrics?
Lyric archives
G5. What are 'timeline' lyrics?
G6. What about pictures and other binaries?
G7. Where else on the Internet can I discuss Mariah?
G8. Where can I find some other Internet resources about Mariah?
Other Worldwide Web pages
G9. What if my question isn't answered here?

Musical questions

M1. How did Mariah become a recording artist?
M2. What songs has Mariah recorded?
M2a. Discography key
Mastering key
Track number notation
Other information
M2b. Discography index
Solo albums and other albums featuring Mariah Carey
Bonus limited edition CDs
Single CDs
M2c. Album discography
Mariah Carey
Mariah Carey (Australian limited edition bonus disc)
Emotions
MTV Unplugged EP
Music Box
Luther Vandross: Songs
Merry Christmas
Daydream
Babyface: The Day
Butterfly
M2d. Single discography
Single B sides
Single remixes before Music Box
Dreamlover single
Hero single
Anytime You Need A Friend singles
Fantasy singles
One Sweet Day single
Joy To The World single
Always Be My Baby singles
Open Arms singles
Forever single
Honey single
Butterfly single
Breakdown single
My All single
Ungrouped single remixes
M2e. Videography index
Video albums
Video singles
Video clips
M2f. Album and single videography
M2g. Clip videography
M2h. Songbook bibliography
M3. What awards has Mariah won?
Grammy Awards
World Music Awards
Billboard Music Awards
American Music Awards
Soul Train Awards
New York City Music Awards
Australian Record Industry Association Awards
UK Smash Hits Awards
Germany's Bravo magazine
Rockefeller Center Awards
Blockbuster Awards
M4. What records and precedents has Mariah set?
M5. Does Mariah do rap?
Guest rap artists
M6. What other songs has Mariah written?
Unrecorded/unreleased Spanish songs from Mariah Carey
Unrecorded/unreleased songs predating Mariah Carey
Songs written for Trey Lorenz
Songs written for Allure
Songs written for 7 Mile
Other songs cowritten by Mariah Carey
M7. What songs were on the famous demo tape?
Original Mariah Carey demo tape
M8. What other songs have been produced by Mariah?
Songs coproduced for 'Allure'
Songs coproduced for '7 Mile'
M9. Where has Mariah performed concerts?
M10. Which songs have Spanish versions?
Spanish recordings

Movie questions

S1. What can you tell me about "Paint Your Wagon"?
S2. Will Mariah do movies?
S3. What's the story with the Honey video?

Personal questions

P1. What is Mariah's family like?
P2. When and where was Mariah born?
P3. How would I pick Mariah in a crowd?
P4. What are Mariah's favourite things?
P5. What was Mariah's first wedding like?
P6. Does Mariah smoke?
P7. Who was Mariah's first husband?

Fan questions

F1. How do I join The Mariah Carey Internet Fan Club?
F2. How do I join Sony's official Mariah fan club?
F3. Where can I write to Mariah Carey?
F4. What are some Mariah collectables?
Recent posters and calendars
Limited release albums
Tour merchandise
Limited release singles
Special album versions
Computer software
Instrumental albums
Known bootlegs
F5. What are some rare Mariah collectables?
Love And Dream
F6. Where can I get Mariah collectables?
Freelance collectable traders on Internet

Technical questions

T1. What does the Merry Christmas CD Extra offer?
T2. What is the #Mariah chat channel all about?
T3. Does Mariah have any DVDs?

Miscellaneous questions

X1. When was the newsgroup founded?
X2. What is MCT?
X3. What is The Gospel According To Vision?
X4. What is all this AIWFCIY and AYNAF and DYTOM stuff?
Index of Mariah Carey songs
X5. What was "Crave"?
X6. What is "Camp Mariah"?

GENERAL QUESTIONS

G1. Who is Mariah Carey?

Mariah Carey is the biggest selling female vocalist of the 1990s. Mariah
Carey is unique in having both a breath-taking five-octave vocal range as
well as an amazing talent for writing and producing highly popular songs.
Since her self-titled debut album was released in 1990, she has sold over 90
million albums.

Mariah Carey is often referred to as simply 'Mariah', though some may prefer
Ms Carey over such blatant familarity. Also, fans usually capitalize the
personal pronoun 'her' when discussing Mariah, viz 'Her'. MC is also a common
abbreviation. Mariah has no middle name, and her first name is supposedly
derived from the song 'They Call The Wind Mariah' from the movie 'Paint Your
Wagon' (see S1).

Mariah Carey has been married once, to Sony Music Entertainment President,
Tommy Mottola, but that relationship ended in divorce in March 1998 after
four years of marriage and nine months of separation. She is presently
single.

G2. What kind of articles are posted on the newsgroup?

The newsgroup rec.music.artists.mariah.carey is about Mariah Carey, and that
includes articles about, or at least closely related to, her life and her
music. News bulletins, announcements, questions, opinions, reviews and
discussions all have a place on the group. It is not dedicated to fans alone,
and anyone who is interested in the discussions taking place is encouraged to
participate.

As a general rule, articles should not be crossposted to or from other music
groups. The point of having the rec.music.* hierachy divided into separate
sections is to allow discussions specific topics to take place without
disturbing those who do not have an interest in them. Music is a very broad
topic, and also one where opinions vary greatly and emotions can run high.
Learn to respect others' opinions, and do not force your opinion on others.

People who post deliberately provoking and generally thoughtless articles
should be generally be ignored. If you do feel a reply is necessary, use e-
mail in the first instance. Public follow-ups to such articles should be
avoided. In any instance, do not crosspost replies to any groups other than
those to which the article is directly and indisputably relevant.

G3. What is Mariah's most recent work?

The last single to be released from the album "Butterfly" was a remix single
for My All and, subtitled "Stay Awhile". This was released to the US in June,
and Europe has now followed. Australia will have a new single containing the
remixes in October.

A video clip for "Whenever You Call" will air in the US shortly. Mariah sings
with Jermaine Dupri on "Sweetheart", which will be released to radio and as a
video clip in the coming month, culminating with (US) single release on 29
September.

The movie "00-Soul" (see S2) is to commence filming in October. Mariah's
performance at the "Diva's Live" concert earlier this year is to be released
on CD in the US on 6 October. A compilation of Mariah's Number One US hits,
entitled "Ones", which as a bonus includes "Sweetheart" and a duet with
Whitney Houston, is to be released (in the US) on 10 November.

Current Album: "Butterfly" (released 15th September 1997)
Current Videos: "Fantasy: Mariah Carey Live At Madison Square Garden"
"Honey" (Australian video single, see M2f(ii))
"My All" (with "Breakdown"; US video single, see M2f(ii))
Previous Tour: "Butterfly" Tour '98
(visited Japan, Taipei, Australia and Hawaii in Jan/Feb '98)
Coming Tours: Possible US tour (appears to have been delayed indefinitely)
Recent Singles: Fantasy (September 1995)
Fantasy- Remixes (October 1995, Australia & UK)
One Sweet Day (November 1995)
Joy To The World (rereleased December 1996, Australia & UK)
Open Arms 1/2 (February 1996, Europe; June 1996, Australia)
Always Be My Baby (March 1996)
Always Be My Baby- Remixes (April 1996, Australia & UK)
Forever (November 1996)
Honey (August 1997)
Butterfly (November 1997, except US)
Breakdown (February 1998, Australia)
My All (May 1998, Australia & US)
My All (Stay Awhile) (June 1998, US; August 1998, Europe)
Recent B-Sides: Slipping Away (from ABMB (US) and Open Arms 2 (Australia))
El Amor Que Sone (from Open Arms 2 (Australia))
Underneath The Stars (from Forever)
Other Releases: "Merry Christmas" (CD Extra interactive disc, 1996)

G4. Can I find lyrics here?

As the FAQ maintainer, I will post new and updated lyrics to the newsgroup as
they become available. I would prefer it if other people did not post their
own copies of Mariah's lyrics here, and request that they ask me to repost
the 'official' versions. The lyrics I post will be cited with a revision
number and date. If you disagree with the lyrics, please feel free to discuss
it with the group and/or bring your disagreement to my attention. Lyrics are
very rarely 100% correct.

The lyric archives are available as links from this page:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/6413/MCFAQ-general.html#g4

[Lyric archives]

ARCHIVE Title Current revision
01. Mariah Carey (album) 1 (08 Apr 1996)
02. Emotions (album) 2 (08 Apr 1996)
03. I'll Be There (song) 2 (08 Apr 1996)
04. Music Box (album) 2 (08 Apr 1996)
05. Dreamlover (remixes) 1 (22 Apr 1996)
06. Do You Think Of Me (song) 2 (08 Apr 1996)
07. Heroe (song) 1 (15 Apr 1996)
08. AYNAF (remixes) 1 (22 Apr 1996)
09. Merry Christmas (album) 1 (22 Apr 1996)
10. Joy To The World (remixes) 2 (08 Apr 1996)
11. Fantasy (remixes) 4 (22 Apr 1996)
12. Daydream (album) 2 (15 Apr 1996)
13. El Amor Que Sone (song) 1 (15 Apr 1996)
14. Always Be My Baby (remixes) 2 (03 Jul 1996)
15. Slipping Away (song) 1 (08 Apr 1996)
16. Endless Love 1 (15 Apr 1996)
17. Honey (remixes) 1 (30 Jul 1997)
18. Butterfly (album) 2 (24 Sep 1997)
19. ETICME (song) 2 (24 Sep 1997)
20. Head Over Heels (song) 0 (01 Apr 1998)
21. Butterfly (remixes) 0 (01 Apr 1998)
22. Breakdown (remixes) 0 (07 Apr 1998)
23. My All (remixes) 0 (23 May 1998)
24. Mi Todo (song) 0 (24 Jun 1998)

G5. What are 'timeline' lyrics?

Special versions of lyrics will sometimes be issued. These lyrics are
labelled with approximate time indexes, and are called 'timeline' lyrics.
Timeline lyrics are produced by the Kasoft* Playtex application, and are
currently unique to the Mariah Carey newsgroup.

Playtex is a video titling application. It facilitates vertical and horzontal
scroll texts, slide shows, and a speedreading display which allows users to
browse through text at 600 words per minute with a high level of
comprehension. Please send e-mail to Kasoft Software at
kad...@postoffice.utas.edu.au for more information about Playtex.

A Java applet called AudioQ will soon be available from the hypertext version
of the FAQ. This will allow the playback of timeline lyrics in real-time.
Experiments are now underway.

The following are available from the FAQ maintainer on request:

TIMELINE- Disc Title (Version) UPC [Country]
Daydream (Australian Version) 481367 2 [61]
Butterfly (Australian Version) 488537 2 [61]
Fantasy (Aust. Original Maxisingle) 662379 2 [61]
Fantasy (Aust. Remixes Maxisingle) 662505 2 [61]
Honey (Australian Original Maxisingle) 664747 2 [61]
Joy To The World (Aust. Maxisingle) 662652 2 [61]

* Kasoft is a registered trademark of Kasoft Software, owned by Kade
Hansson.

G6. What about pictures and other binaries?

This is not a newsgroup designed for binary traffic (such as images), so you
should never post this material. The correct protocol is to post the binary
file to the alt.binaries.* hierachy and then post a message here notifying
the group of its whereabouts.

G7. Where else on the Internet can I discuss Mariah?

There is an established live chat channel called #Mariah on Undernet IRC
which is dedicated to the discussion of Mariah and her music. Look at the IRC
newsgroups (such as alt.irc.undernet) to find out more about Undernet and
IRC, and how you can connect. Some further information is given in question
T2.

Also, there are four mailing lists you can subscribe to:

Description Name of list Posting address
Mariah Carey's fan list Vision vis...@southwind.net
Mariah Carey news list Vision News visio...@southwind.net
Mariah Carey marketplace list Goddess-Mariah -
Mariah Carey fan stories list Mariah Stories -

(The Vision list is a superset of Vision News, in the sense that articles
sent to Vision News appear on Vision, but articles sent to vision do not
appear on Vision News.)

You can subscribe to either of the Vision groups by sending a message to
majo...@southwind.net with a body containing the line:

subscribe <name-of-list>

with a body containing the line:

unsubscribe <name-of-list>

(Replace <name-of-list> with one of the mailing list names given above.)

To join the marketplace mailing list, send a message to
majo...@lists.io.com with a body containing the line:

subscribe goddess-mariah

Whenever you send to an automated 'majordomo' account, you can leave the
subject line blank. Messages posted to the mailing list you subscribe to will
be sent to your e-mailbox.

To join the Mariah Stories mailing list simply e-mail the list manager at
<kad...@postoffice.utas.edu.au>.

G8. Where can I find some other Internet resources about Mariah?

The FTP site at ftp.mariahc.com has Mariah-related files available for
download, as does the /pub/music/artists/c/mariah.carey directory on
ftp.uwp.edu. My recommendation for a starters Worldwide Web page is the
'Vision Of Love' homepage at

http://www2.southwind.net/~ksims/VOL.html

and this contains some links to other Mariah pages on the Web.

[Other Worldwide Web pages]

These pages are selected by the FAQ maintainer because they are reasonably
contemporaneous and represent a broad cross-section of what is available. E-
mail me if you would like me to review your page for inclusion.

ADDRESS (Author)
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/9405/ (K Au-Yeung, Canada)
http://www.mariahcarey.org/ (M Batson/D Leveillee, US)
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/4255/ (L Carvalho, Brazil)
http://www.newageco.com/irc/ (NN Dai, France)
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Venue/9556/index2.html
(N De Guzman, Philippines)
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/2620/ (M Freitas)
http://www.d.umn.edu/~clankow/mariah/mariah.html (C Lankow, US)
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/7867 (H Liu, US)
http://www.whenisawyou.home.ml.org (T McDaid)
http://www.geocities.com/MadisonAvenue/5639/ ("MCJam", Netherlands)
http://www.ellipsiiis.com/MariahOz (D Summers, Australia)
http://www.ramon.co.za/mariah/index.html (R Thomas, South Africa)
http://ace.cnl.com.au/~rjtrev/mariah.htm (S Trevaskis, Australia)

G9. What if my question isn't answered here?

If your question has not been answered by this newsgroup FAQ, please feel
free to ask on the newsgroup. If this fails, feel free to ask me at
kad...@postoffice.utas.edu.au, and I will endeavour to learn the answer for
you.

If you feel any commonly asked question deserves to be listed in this FAQ,
please contact me. It would be nice if you have an answer too, but not
essential.

--
Archer
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/6413

End.

Kade Hansson

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
Archive-name: music/mariah-carey-faq/part2

Posting-Frequency: monthly (final Wednesday)
Last-modified: 1998/08/28
Version: 30

MUSICAL QUESTIONS

M1. How did Mariah come to be a recording artist?

At just two-and-a-half years of age, Mariah first demonstrated her vocal
talent by singing part of the Italian opera "Rigoletto" while her mother was
practising. After Mariah's parents were divorced in 1973, Mariah's mother
began to give her voice lessons, and in 1976 Mariah made her public debut.

During her teenage years, from about age 14, she sang on demo tapes at
various recording studios around Long Island, New York. Mariah began writing
songs with her friend Ben Margulies at about age 16, and in 1986 cut her
first demo with her brother.

After graduating from high school in 1987, and leaving home to persue her
ambitions, Mariah spent some time as a waitress and hat check girl.
Eventually she got the chance to audition as a concert background vocalist
for Brenda K Starr, and that turned out to be the break she needed. While
attending a recording industry party with Starr in 1988, she was introduced
to CBS Music president Tommy Mottola, and the demo cassette she handed him
was her ticket to a recording contract with the label (see M7).

M2. What songs has Mariah recorded?

- - - - - - - - - -

M2a. DISCOGRAPHY KEY

[Mastering key]

AAD Analogue recording, analogue mixing, digital master
DDD Digital recording, mixing and master

Discs which are not labelled will have some tracks DDD (usually LP versions)
and some tracks AAD (usually remixes). The special release remix CDs are
sometimes recorded from vinyl masters, and contain slightly audible periodic
distortions.

[Track number notation]

ALBUMS n (s)
SINGLES n (r+r2)

- n is the number of indexed tracks appearing on the CD
- s is the number of singles released for the CD (not including
distinct versions)
- r is the number of remixes of the title track (not including album
version)
- r2 is the number of remixes of non-title songs

[Other information]

UPC Universal Publishing Code. Vinyl records end in 1, CDs end in 2,
cassettes in 4 (album) or 8 (single). Special versions end in other
numbers (e.g. 5 CD, 6 cassette). Where the UPC contains a letter, it
is an unregistered code. Numbers in brackets are the international
dialling code of the country of origin of the version catalogued.
This does not preclude there being versions published in other
countries under different codes, but only the version catalogued is
described.

- - - - - - - - - -

M2b. DISCOGRAPHY INDEX
(Track numbers, counts and lengths are based on Australian die casts)

(i) [Solo albums (LPs and EPs) and other albums featuring Mariah Carey]

ALBUM Title (Produce) Published Tracks UPC (Master) Length
Mariah Carey (TM) CBS 1990 11 (5) 466815 2(AAD)/4 46:42
Emotions (TM) Columbia 1991 10 (3) 468851 2(DDD)/4 47:02
MTV Unplugged EP Columbia 1992 10 (2) 471869 2(DDD)/4 28:48
Music Box (MC) Columbia 1993 11 (5) 474284 2(DDD)/4 47:27
Luther Vandross: Songs Epic 1994 13 (1) 476656 2(DDD)/4 61:40
Merry Christmas (WA,MC) Columbia 1994 11 (3) 477342 2(DDD)/4 39:37
Daydream (WA,MC) Columbia 1995 12 (5) 481367 2(DDD)/4 46:43
Babyface: The Day Epic 1996 10 (1) 485368 2(DDD)/4 46:21
Butterfly Col Aust 1997 14 (1) 488537 2(DDD)/4 67:36

(ii) [Bonus limited edition CDs]

DISC Title Published Tracks UPC (Master) Length
Mariah Carey- Disc 2 Col Aust 1991 4 SAMP306 (61) 47:55

(iii) [Single CDs]

The following list incorporates the version(s) of each CD which contained the
largest cross section of tracks. See M2d for version details. For an
exhaustive list of singles in all formats, refer to the "Mariah Carey Singles
Discography" document [Ahmed], which is available by asking the authors
nicely at <kas...@icon.co.za>.

SINGLE Title Published Tracks UPC (Country) Length
Vision Of Love Col UK Jul 90 3 (0) 655932 2/8 (44) -
Love Takes Time (ltd) Col UK Oct 90 4 (0) 656364 5/6 (44) -
Someday Col US Feb 91 5 (4) 44K73560 (1) -
Someday (promo) Col US Feb 91 4 (3) CSK73561 (1) -
I Don't Wanna Cry Col US May 91 2 (1) CSK73743 (1) -
TGTBAW (ltd) Col UK May 91 3 (2) 656931 2/8 (44) -
There's Got To Be A Way Col UK May 91 4 (1+1) 656931 5/6 (44) -
Emotions Col US Sep 91 4 (2+1) 44K74037 (1) -
Can't Let Go Col UK Dec 91 3 (1) 657662 2/8 (44) -
Can't Let Go (ltd) Col UK Dec 91 3 (1) 657662 5/6 (44) -
Make It Happen (maxi) Col US Mar 92 6 (4+1) 657941 2/8 (1) -
I'll Be There Col UK Jun 92 4 (0) 658137 5/6 (44) -
If It's Over Col Jap Jul 93 3 (0) SRDS8249 (81) -
Dreamlover Col Aust Aug 93 2 (0) 659532 2/8 (61) -
Dreamlover (maxi) Col US Aug 93 6 (5) 44K77079 (1) 39:51
Dreamlover- Remixes Col Aust Sep 93 4 (3) 659808 2/8 (61) -
Hero Col US Nov 93 4 (1+1) 44K77225 (1) 18:58
Heroe (Hero) Col Spain 93 2 (0) 661337 1 (34) -
Without You Col UK Feb 94 3 (0+1) 659919 2/8 (44) -
Never Forget You Col US Apr 94 5 (3) 44K77418 (1) -
AYNAF Col Aust Jun 94 5 (4) 660387 2/8 (61) 31:39
AYNAF- Remixes Col Aust Aug 94 5 (4) 44K77543 (61) 38:31
Endless Love Col US Sep 94 2 (1) 38K77629 (1) -
AIWFCIY Col UK Dec 94 3 (0) 661070 5 (44) -
Jesus Born On This Day Col US Dec 94 3 (0) CSK6645 (1) -
Fantasy Columbia Sep 95 5 (4) 662379 2/8 29:21
Fantasy- Remixes Col Aust Oct 95 5 (5) 662505 2/8 (61) 32:03
One Sweet Day Col US Nov 95 6 (4+1) 662493 2/8 -
Joy To The World Col Aust Dec 95 5 (3) 662652 2/8 (61) 31:01
Always Be My Baby Columbia Mar 96 5 (4) 662922 2/8 23:14
ABMB- Remixes Col Aust May 96 4 (5) 663240 2/8 29:02
Open Arms- CD #1 Col Aust Jun 96 4 (0) 663140 2/8 (61) 15:04
Open Arms- CD #2 Col Aust Jun 96 4 (0) 663341 2/8 (61) 11:33
Forever Col Aust Oct 96 4 (0) 663440 2/8 (61) 16:34
ETICME Col Aust Dec 96 6 (3+2) 664088 2/8 (61) 29:41
Honey Col Aust Aug 97 5 (4) 664747 2/8 (61) 31:21
Butterfly Col Aust Nov 97 5 (2+1) 665120 2/8 (61) 34:32
Breakdown Col Aust Feb 98 5 (2+2) 665531 2/8 (61) 32:25
The Roof Col UK Mar 98 5 (4) 665521 2/8 (44) -
My All Col Aust May 98 4 (3) 665666 2/8 (61) -

- - - - - - - - - -

M2c. ALBUM DISCOGRAPHY in chronological order
(Track lists and lengths are for Australian die casts)

(i) [Mariah Carey (debut album; studio set #1)]

SONG Title (CHART Date; Pos) Write Produce Arrange+Eng Length
01. Vision of Love (07/90; 1) MC,BM RL+NW MC,BM,CT+PD 03:30
02. There's Got To Be A Way *
(UK 04/91) MC,RW RW,NW BC+DJ 04:54
03. I Don't Wanna Cry (05/91; 1)
MC,NW NW NW+WA 04:49
04. Someday * (02/91; 1) MC,BM RW MC,BM,CT+RW+RT 04:08
05. Vanishing MC,BM MC BM,MC+PD 04:12
06. All In Your Mind MC,BM BM,RW MC,BM,CT+BC 04:46
07. Alone In Love MC,BM RL MC,BM,CT+PD+RL 04:12
08. You Need Me MC,RL RL RL+PD 03:52
09. Sent From Up Above MC,RL RL RL+PD 04:05
10. Prisoner MC,BM RW MC,BM,CT+RW+RT 04:24
11. Love Takes Time (10/90; 1) MC,BM WA WA,MC+DJ+ML 03:50

CO-WRITERS, PRODUCERS and ENGINEERS
Abbrev Name Abbrev Name
BM Ben Margulies RL Rhett Lawrence
NW Narada Michael Walden CT Chris Toland
PD Patrick Dillett RW Ric Wake
BC Bob Cadway DJ Dana Jon Chappelle
WA Walter Afanasieff RT Rich Tancredi
ML Manny LaCarrubba TM Tommy Mottola (EP)

* Additional remixes by Shep Pettibone

(i)a [Mariah Carey (Australian limited edition bonus disc)]

TRACK Title Length
01. Mariah Carey Profile 33:50
02. Interview Responses 06:58
03. Vanishing (Live) 04:30
04. Don't Play That Song (Live) 02:37

(ii) [Emotions (follow-up album; studio set #2)]

SONG Title (CHART Date; Pos) Write/Produce/Arrange+Eng Length
01. Emotions (09/91; 1) MC,C&C+AK+BM 04:08
02. And You Don't Remember MC,WA+DJ+BC+CS+ML+MS+LG 04:27
03. Can't Let Go (12/91; 2) MC,WA+DJ+BC+CS+ML+MS+LG 04:28
04. Make It Happen (03/92; 5) MC,C&C+AK+JM 05:08
05. If It's Over CK,MC+WA+DJ+BC 04:38
06. You're So Cold MC,DC+AK+BM 05:05
07. So Blessed MC,WA+DJ+BC+CS+ML+MS 04:13
08. To Be Around You MC,DC+AK+TX 04:38
09. Till The End Of Time MC,WA+DJ+BC+CS+ML+MS+LG 05:35
10. The Wind RF,MC+DJ+BE+BC+CS+ML+MS 04:42

WRITERS, COWRITERS, PRODUCERS and ARRANGEMENTS
Abbrev Name (Tracks)
CK Carole King (05. If It's Over)
RF Russell Freeman (10. The Wind)
C&C David Cole [DC] (1,4,6,8) and Robert Clivilles (1,4)
WA Walter Afanasieff (2,3,7,9)

ENGINEERS/MIXERS and Executive Producer
Abbrev Name Abbrev Name
DJ Dana Jon Chappelle AK Acar S Key
BM Bruce Miller BC Bruce Calder
CS Craig Silvey ML Manny LaCarrubba
MS MT Silvia LG Lolly Grodner
JM John Mathias TX Tony Maserati
BE Bob Edwards TM Tommy Mottola (EP)

(iii) [MTV Unplugged (third album; special live set)]

SONG Title (CHART Date; Pos) Write Length
01. Emotions Mariah Carey, Cole & Clivilles 03:59
02. If It's Over (Japan 07/92) Carole King, Mariah Carey 03:48
03. Someday Mariah Carey, Ben Margulies 03:57
04. Vision of Love Mariah Carey, Ben Margulies 03:36
05. Make It Happen Mariah Carey, Cole & Clivilles 04:09
06. I'll Be There (06/92; 1) H David, B Gordy,
W Hutch, B West 04:43
07. Can't Let Go Mariah Carey, Walter Afanasieff 04:36

Produced and arranged by Walter Afanasieff and Mariah Carey

(iv) [Music Box (fourth album; studio set #3)]

SONG Title (CHART Date; Pos) Write/Produce/Arrange+Eng Length
01. Dreamlover (08/93; 1) * MC,DH+BR+DJ+JC 03:54
02. Hero (11/93; 1) MC,WA+DG+DJ+JC+JM+ML+KB 04:20
03. Anytime You Need A Friend (06/94; 12)
MC,WA+DJ+JC+JM+KB 04:26
04. Music Box MC,WA+DJ+ML+JC+KB 04:58
05. Now That I Know MC,C&C+AK+FF+DJ+BR+JC 04:19
06. Never Forget You (07.A) MC,KE,DS+JZ+DJ+JC 03:47
07. Without You (02/94; 3) WH,TE+DJ+ML+JC+KM 03:36
08. Just To Hold You Once Again MC,WA+DJ+JC+JM+KB 03:59
09. I've Been Thinking About You
MC,C&C+AK+DJ+FF+JC+MK 04:48
10. All I've Ever Wanted MC,WA+DJ+JC+JM 03:52
11. Everything Fades Away (01.B)
MC,WA 05:28

* Contains a sample of 'Blind Alley' by David Porter. Additional remixes by
David Morales.

WRITERS, COWRITERS, PRODUCERS and ARRANGEMENTS
Abbrev Name (Tracks)
DH Dave Hall (01. Dreamlover)
KE Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds (06. Never Forget You)
WH William Peter Ham (07. Without You)
TE Tom Evans (07. Without You)
WA Walter Afanasieff (2,3,4,8,10,11)
C&C David Cole and Robert Clivilles (5,9)

ENGINEERS/MIXERS
Abbrev Name Abbrev Name
DJ Dana Jon Chappelle BR Bob Ross (1)/Bob Rosa (5)
JC Jim Caruana DG David Gleeson
JM Jen Monnar ML Manny LaCarrubba
KB Kyle Bass AK Acar S Key
FF Frank Filipetti DS Daryl Simmons
JZ Jim Zumpano KM Ken Matcke
MK Mark Krieg

(v) [Luther Vandross: Songs (first guest appearance)]

SONG Title (CHART Date; Pos) Write Arrange Length
03. Endless Love (09/94) * L Ritchie W Afanasieff 04:21

* Duet performed with Mariah Carey

(vi) [Merry Christmas (fifth album; studio set #4)]

SONG Title (CHART Date; Pos) [Write/Arrange] Length
01. Silent Night * 03:42
02. All I Want For Christmas Is You (12/94) (06.B) [MC,WA] 04:01
03. O Holy Night 04:27
04. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
[P.Spector, J.Barry, E.Greenwich] 02:36
05. Miss You Most (At Christmas Time) (02.B) [MC,WA] 04:33
06. Joy To The World *** (Aust 12/95; 33) [H Axton; MC,WA] 04:21
07. Jesus Born On This Day (02.B2) 03:43
08. Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town 03:24
09. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing/ Gloria (In Excelsis Deo) ** 03:01
10. Jesus Oh What A Wonderful Child ** 04:29
11. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (B) [MC,WA] 01:20

Produced and arranged by Walter Afanasieff and Mariah Carey
* Produced and arranged by Mariah Carey and Loris Holland
** Coproduced and arranged by Loris Holland
*** Additional remixes by David Morales

(vii) [Daydream (sixth album; studio set #5)]

SONG Title (CHART Date; Pos) Lyrics Music Length
01. Fantasy * (09/95; 1) MC,TTC MC,DH,TTC,AB,SS 04:04
02. Underneath The Stars (10.B) MC MC,WA 03:33
03. One Sweet Day ** (11/95; 1) MC,B2M MC,WA 04:43
04. Open Arms (Aust 06/96) SP,JC SP,JC,MC,WA 03:30
05. Always Be My Baby *** (04/96; 1)
MC JD,MC,MS 04:21
06. I Am Free (04.B) MC MC,WA 03:09
07. When I Saw You MC MC,WA 04:25
08. Long Ago MC JD,MC,MS 04:34
09. Melt Away MC,KE MC,KE 03:42
10. Forever (Aust 11/96) MC MC,WA 04:01
11. Daydream Interlude (01.B)
(Fantasy Sweet Dub Mix) MC,TTC MC,DM,TTC,AB,SS 03:05
12. Looking In MC,WA 03:36

* Contains a sample of 'Genius Of Love' by Tom Tom Club. Additional remixes
by Sean "Puffy" Coombs and David Morales.
** Duet performed with Boyz II Men.
*** Additional remixes by David Morales and Satoshi Tomiie.

WRITERS, COWRITERS, PRODUCERS and ARRANGEMENTS
Abbrev Name (Tracks)
TTC For Tom Tom Club is Chris Frantz and Tina Weymouth (01. Fantasy)
B2M Boyz II Men is Michael McCary, Nathan Morris, Wanya Morris and
Shawn Stockman (02. One Sweet Day)
SP,JC For Journey is S. Perry and J. Cain (04. Open Arms)
JD Jermaine Dupri (05. Always Be My Baby and 08. Long Ago)
MS Manuel Seal (05. Always Be My Baby and 08. Long Ago)
KE Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds (08. Melt Away)
WA Walter Afanasieff (2,3,4,6,7,10,12)

(viii) [Babyface: The Day (second guest appearance)]

SONG Title Artists Length
1. Every Time I Close My Eyes * K Edmonds, M Carey, Kenny G 04:56

* Written and produced by Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds. Single features Mariah
Carey on background vocals and Kenny G on saxophone. Note that the album
version DOES NOT feature Mariah Carey.

(ix) [Butterfly (new album; studio set #6)]

SONG Title (CHART Date; Pos) Lyrics Music Length
01. Honey * (08/97; 1) MC SC,SJ,MC,SH,BR,RL,LP,MM 05:01
02. Butterfly MC MC,WA 04:36
03. My All ** (05/98; 1) MC MC,WA 03:52
04. The Roof **** MC MC,JO,SB,CR,AJ,KM 05:15
05. Fourth of July MC MC,WA 04:22
06. Breakdown *** MC,BTH MC,SJ 04:45
07. Babydoll MC,ME MC,CR,SJ 05:07
08. Close My Eyes MC MC,WA 04:22
09. Whenever You Call MC MC,WA 04:22
10. Fly Away ** MC,EJ, MC,DM
(Butterfly Reprise) BT 03:49
11. The Beautiful Ones ***** P P 07:00
12. Outside MC MC,WA 04:48
13. Honey (So So Def Radio Mix) MC SC,SJ,MC,SH,BR,RL,LP,MM 03:59
14. Honey (Def Club Mix) MC MC,DM 06:18

* Contains a sample of 'Body Rock' by The Treacherous Three. Additional
remixes by Sean "Puffy" Combs, Jermaine Dupri and David Morales. Remixes
feature The Ummah, Stevie J (K Fareed and S Jordan respectively) and Da
Brat.
** Additional remixes by David Morales and Satoshi Tomiie.
*** Additional remixes by Sean "Puffy" Combs and Stevie Jordan. Remixes
feature Bones Thugs 'n' Harmony.
**** Additional remixes by Mobb Deep, Wayne La Wes and David Morales.
***** Duet performed with Dru Hill.

WRITERS and COWRITERS
Abbrev Name (Tracks)
SC Sean "Puffy" Combs (1,13)
SJ Stevie Jordan (1,7,13)
SH S Hague (1,13)
BR B Robinson (1,13)
RL R Larkins (1,13)
LP L Price (1,13)
MM M McLaren (1,13)
WA Walter Afanasieff (2,3,5,8,9,12)
JO JC Olivier (04. The Roof)
SB S Barnes (04. The Roof)
CR Corey Rooney (4,7)
AJ A Johnson (04. The Roof)
KM K Muchita (04. The Roof)
ME Missy Elliot (07. Babydoll)
BTH For Bone Thugs 'n' Harmony is A Henderson & C Scruggs (08.
Breakdown)
EJ,BT Sir Elton John and Bernie Taupin (10. Fly Away)
DM David Morales (10,14)
P Prince (11. The Beautiful Ones)

- - - - - - - - - -

M2d. SINGLE DISCOGRAPHY in chronological order
(Full track lists and lengths are for Australian die casts, unless otherwise
stated)

(i) [Single B sides]

SINGLE Title (Country) SONG Title
Vision Of Love (UK) Medley (Someday, Prisoner, All In Your Mind)
Dreamlover Do You Think Of Me
Hero Everything Fades Away
Open Arms (Aust) Slipping Away

(ii) [Single remixes before 'Music Box']

SONG Title (Single) REMIX Title (Mixed by/at)

There's Got To Be A Way 7" Mix (Shep Pettibone)
(There's Got To Be A 12" Mix (Shep Pettibone)
Way) Alt Vocal Club Mix

There's Got To Be A Way Alt Vocal Dub Mix
(TGTBAW 12") Sample Dub Mix

Emotions (Emotions) C&C Club Mix (D. Cole and R. Clivilles)
C&C Club No 1 Mix (D. Cole and R. Clivilles)
Emotions (Emotions 12") C&C Dub-Dub Mix (D. Cole and R. Clivilles)

Make It Happen Extended Version
(Make It Happen) Radio Edit
Dub
C&C Classic Mix (D. Cole and R. Clivilles)
Emotions (MIH) Special Motion Edit

Someday (Someday) New 7" Jackswing (Shep Pettibone)
New 7" Straight
New 12" Jackswing (Shep Pettibone)
New 12" House
Pianoapercapella

(iii) [Dreamlover (debut 'Music Box' single)]

SONG Title (REMIX Title) Produce Length
1. Dreamlover (LP Version) M Carey, D Hall, W Afanasieff 03:55
2. Dreamlover (Def Club Mix) David Morales 10:46
3. Dreamlover (Def Instrumental)
David Morales 06:23
4. Dreamlover (USA Love Dub) David Morales 07:12
5. Dreamlover (Eclipse Dub) David Morales 04:54
6. Dreamlover (Def Tribal Mix) David Morales 06:41

(iv) [Hero (second 'Music Box' single)]

SONG Title (REMIX Title) Produce/Arrange (Recorded at) Length
1. Hero (LP Version) W Afanasieff, M Carey 04:19
2. Hero (Live) (Proctor's Theatre) 04:37
3. Everything Fades Away W Afanasieff, M Carey 05:28
4. Dreamlover (Club Joint Mix) Brian Morgan 04:34

(v) [Anytime You Need A Friend (fourth 'Music Box' single)]

(CD #1- original maxisingle)
SONG Title (REMIX Title) Produce Length
1. AYNAF (Soul Convention Remix)
M Carey, MC Rooney, M Morales 04:51
2. AYNAF (Stringapella) M Carey, MC Rooney, M Morales 04:51
3. AYNAF (LP Version) W Afanasieff, M Carey 04:26
4. Music Box W Afanasieff, M Carey 04:58
5. AYNAF (C&C Extended Mix) R Clivilles, D Cole, M Carey 08:18
6. AYNAF (C&C Radio Edit) R Clivilles, D Cole, M Carey 04:15

(CD #2- remixes maxisingle)
SONG Title (REMIX Title) Produce/Arrange Length
1. AYNAF (C&C Club Version) R Clivilles, D Cole, M Carey 10:54
2. AYNAF (Ministry Of Sound Mix)
R Clivilles, D Cole, M Carey 09:46
3. AYNAF (Dave's Empty Pass) R Clivilles, D Cole, M Carey 10:55
4. AYNAF (7" Mix) R Clivilles, D Cole, M Carey 06:56

(vi) [Fantasy (debut 'Daydream' single)]

(CD #1- original maxisingle)
SONG Title (REMIX Title) Produce Length
1. Fantasy (Album Version) Mariah Carey and Dave Hall 04:05
2. Fantasy (Bad Boy Fantasy) Sean "Puffy" Coombs 04:52
3. Fantasy (Bad Boy With ODB) Sean "Puffy" Coombs 04:53
4. Fantasy (Bad Boy Mix) Sean "Puffy" Coombs 04:14
5. Fantasy (Def Club Mix) Mariah Carey and David Morales 11:14

(CD #2- remixes maxisingle)
SONG Title (REMIX Title) Produce Length
1. Fantasy (Radio Mix) Mariah Carey and David Morales 03:45
2. Fantasy (MC Mix) Mariah Carey and David Morales 06:26
3. Fantasy (The Boss Mix) Mariah Carey and David Morales 08:51
4. Fantasy (Sweet Dub Mix) Mariah Carey and David Morales 08:10
5. Fantasy (Bad Boy With ODB)* Sean "Puffy" Coombs 04:51

* This track is mislabelled as "Puffy's Club Mix"

(vii) [One Sweet Day (second 'Daydream' single; duet with Boyz II Men)]

SONG Title (REMIX Title) Produce/Arrange (Recorded at) Length
1. OSD (Album Version) Afanasieff and Carey 04:43
2. OSD (Sweet A Cappella) Afanasieff, Carey and W Morris 04:52
3. OSD (A Cappella) Afanasieff, Carey and W Morris 04:49
4. OSD (Chucky's Remix) Afanasieff, Carey and Thompson 04:51
5. OSD (Live Version) (Madison Square Garden) 05:10
6. Fantasy (Def Drums Mix) Mariah Carey and David Morales -

(viii) [Joy To The World (special Australian 'Merry Christmas' single)]

SONG Title (REMIX Title) Produce/Arrange Length
1. JTTW (LP Version) M Carey, W Afanasieff, H Axton 04:19
2. JTTW (Celebration Mix) David Morales 08:01
3. JTTW (Flava Mix) David Morales 07:05
4. JTTW (Club Mix) David Morales 07:35
5. AIWFCIY M Carey, W Afanasieff 04:01

(ix) [Always Be My Baby (third 'Daydream' single)]

(CD #1- original maxisingle)
SONG Title (REMIX Title) Produce/Arrange (Guest artists) Length
1. ABMB (Mr Dupri No Rap Radio Mix)
JD, MC (Xscape) 03:43
2. ABMB (Mr Dupri Mix) JD, MC (Da Brat, Xscape) 04:42
3. ABMB (Mr Dupri Extended Mix) JD, MC (Da Brat, Xscape) 05:33
4. ABMB (Reggae Soul Mix) Cory Rooney (Lil' Vicious) 04:56
5. ABMB (Album Version) J Dupri, M Seal, M Carey 04:20

(CD #2- remixes maxisingle)
SONG Title (REMIX Title) Produce Length
1. ABMB (Def Classic Radio Version)
David Morales 04:09
2. ABMB (Always Club) David Morales 10:28
3. ABMB (Groove A Pella) David Morales 07:11
4. ABMB (ST Dub) Satoshi Tomiie 07:14

(x) [Open Arms (fourth Australian 'Daydream' single)]

(CD #1)
SONG Title Produce/Arrange (Recorded at) Length
1. Open Arms M Carey, W Afanasieff 03:30
2. I Am Free M Carey, W Afanasieff 03:11
3. Fantasy (Live) (Madison Square Garden) 04:33
4. Vision Of Love (Live) (Madison Square Garden) 03:50

(CD #2)
SONG Title (ENGLISH Title) Produce/Arrange Length
1. Open Arms M Carey, W Afanasieff 03:30
2. Slipping Away M Carey, Dave "Jam" Hall 04:33
3. El Amor Que Sone (Open Arms) M Carey, W Afanasieff 03:30

(xi) [Forever (fifth Australian 'Daydream' single)]

SONG Title Produce/Arrange (Recorded at) Length
1. Forever M Carey, W Afanasieff 04:01
2. Underneath The Stars M Carey, W Afanasieff 03:34
3. Forever (Live) (Tokyo Dome) 04:15
4. Make It Happen (Live) (Madison Square Garden) 04:44

(xii) [Honey (debut Australian 'Butterfly' single)]

SONG Title (REMIX Title) Produce Length
1. Honey (LP Version)* SC, The Ummah, Stevie J, MC 05:01
2. Honey (Bad Boy Remix)* SC, The Ummah, Stevie J, MC 05:31
3. Honey (Classic Mix) Mariah Carey, David Morales 08:05
4. Honey (So So Def Mix)** Jermaine Dupri, Manuel Seal 05:12
5. Honey (Classic Instrumental) Mariah Carey, David Morales 07:32

* Produced by Sean "Puffy" Combs for Bad Boy Entertainment, The Ummah, Stevie
J and Mariah Carey

** Features Da Brat and Jermaine Dupri

(xiii) [Butterfly (second Australian 'Butterfly' single)]

SONG Title (REMIX Title) Produce Length
1. Butterfly Mariah Carey, Walter Afanasieff 04:35
2. Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise) Mariah Carey, David Morales 03:48
3. Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise) (Fly Away Club Mix)
M Carey, D Morales, S Tomiie 09:53
4. Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise) (Def 'B' Fly Mix)
M Carey, D Morales, S Tomiie 08:41
5. Honey (Morales Dub) M Carey, D Morales, S Tomiie 07:35

(xiv) [Breakdown (third Australian 'Butterfly' single)]

SONG Title (REMIX Title) Produce Length
1. Breakdown (Radio Edit) M Carey, Stevie J, S Combs 04:16
2. Breakdown (The Mo' Thugs Remix)
M Carey, Stevie J, S Combs 05:00
3. Breakdown (Album Version) M Carey, Stevie J, S Combs 04:45
4. Honey (Morales Club Dub) M Carey, D Morales, S Tomiie 11:01
5. Honey (Mo' Honey Dub) M Carey, D Morales, S Tomiie 07:23

(xv) [My All (fourth Australian 'Butterfly' single)]

SONG Title (REMIX Title) Produce Length
1. My All (Album Version) M Carey, W Afanasieff 03:52
2. My All (Classic Radio Mix) M Carey, D Morales 04:17
3. My All (Classic Club Mix) M Carey, D Morales 09:12
4. My All (My Club Mix) M Carey, D Morales 07:08

(xvi) [Ungrouped single remixes]

SONG Title (Single) REMIX Title (Mixed by/at)

Dreamlover Bam Jam Soul
(Dreamlover 12") Def Club Mix- Edit

Never Forget You Radio Edit
(Without You) Extended
Instrumental
Dreamlover (WY) Live (Proctor's Theatre, NY)

Anytime You Need A All That & More Mix
Friend (AYNAF 12") Broiqua Tribe Mix

Endless Love (EL) Instrumental
Live (Royal Albert Hall, London)

Joy To The World Crash Dub Crash
(JTTW 12") Celebration Mix- Edit

Fantasy (Fantasy 12") Puffy's Mix (Sean "Puffy" Coombs)
Puffy's Club Mix (Sean "Puffy" Coombs)

Every Time I Close My Radio Edit
Eyes (Every Time I House Of Music Remix Edit
Close My Eyes) Every Time I Feel The Groove Remix

Honey Smooth Version (with intro)
(Honey promo) Smooth Version (without intro)

The Roof (The Roof 12") Radio Edit (Mobb Deep)
Mobb Deep Extended Version (Mobb Deep)
Full Crew Club Mix (Wayne La Wes, 2 versions)
Full Crew Radio Edit (Wayne La Wes, no rap)
Funky Club Mix (David Morales)
After Hours Mix (David Morales)
Bass Man Mix (David Morales)

My All (My All UK) Full Crew Main Mix
Full Crew Radio Mix

My All (My All/Stay So So Def Mix (Jermaine Dupri)
Awhile) So So Def Mix (Jermain Dupri, no rap)

- - - - - - - - - -

Kade Hansson

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
Archive-name: music/mariah-carey-faq/part4

Posting-Frequency: monthly (final Wednesday)
Last-modified: 1998/08/28
Version: 30

MOVIE QUESTIONS

S1. What can you tell me about "Paint Your Wagon"?

This is a musical motion picture released in 1969, first released on video in
1983 by CIC/Arena. It featured the song that Mariah is supposedly named
after, "They Call The Wind Mariah". This was perhaps the most popular song
from the movie, bar "Wand'rin Star" which was sung by Lee Marvin.

The film was directed by Joshua Logan and starred Lee Marvin, Clint Eastwood,
Jean Seberg, Harve Presnell and Ray Walston. It runs for 164 minutes, and is
the "wild west" story of a couple of prospectors who make their way to No
Name City. Rumson (Marvin) meets a travelling Mormon, and buys his wife
(Seberg) at auction for $800. Rumson falls in love with her, but she falls in
love with Pardner (Eastwood).

S2. Will Mariah do movies?

Yes. Mariah has been cast as the step-daughter of the arch-villan in "Double-
0-Soul". The movie is an action comedy starring Chris Tucker. In the movie,
Tucker's character is a bungling secret-agent, suddenly saddled with the age
old task of saving the world after all the top agents are taken out. Filming
will start in October.

For some time now Mariah has also been involved in a project for Disney
studios' Touchstone Pictures. The project does not have a firm title,
although it has the working title "All That Glitters." It is supposedly based
on a concept developed by Mariah about a multi-racial family of the 70's.

Mariah is expected to star and sing in the movie. The story is not meant to
be autobiographical, although it may borrow from some aspects of Mariah's
life and rise to fame.

The screenplay is being written by Cheryl West, music is to be codirected by
Ingo Frenzel, and the production is joint US/German. The Internet Music
Database lists the project as being a musica.

S3. What's the story with the Honey video?

Speculation on a movie role for Mariah began when many fans observed that the
video for Honey is like a mini-movie, and does place Mariah in an acting role
of sorts. This is much apart from her other videos, just as her intention to
move into making movies is unexpected. As recently as two years ago she
laughed in disbelief at the very idea.

Interestingly, the Honey video has more in common with a James Bond story
than simply the broad brush strokes of plot and subtle nuances of extravagant
costumes and tongue-in-cheek acting. The bikini costume which Mariah wears is
almost identical to that worn by Ursula Andress' character, Honey Ryder, in
the first ever James Bond film, "Dr No" (1962).

PERSONAL QUESTIONS

P1. What is Mariah's family like?

Mariah was born of a multicultural parentage, with a European descended
mother (Patricia) and a father (Alfred Roy) of mixed South American and
African-American parentage. Alison and Morgan are Mariah's only siblings, and
are significantly older- by ten years. Both are more inclined to their
father's physical traits, and have a darker skin than Mariah.

Alison is the most outspoken of the two, frequently speaking negatively about
Mariah to the gossip press, and perpetually threatening to write a "tell-all"
biography. Alison has had a difficult life, turning to drug use and
prostitution in leaner times. Mariah dedicated her debut album to her, but
these days the two are bitter enemies, largely due to a custody battle over
Alison's offspring where Mariah took her mother's side.

Morgan suffered from serious symptoms of cerebral palsy and epilepsy in his
youth, but is now married with children. Mariah actively participates in the
lives of her nephews and nieces, and gets along well with Morgan and his
wife.

P2. When and where was Mariah born?

Mariah was the third and final child born to Patricia, an Irish-American
mezzo soprano opera singer, and Alfred Roy Carey, an aeronautical engineer of
mixed Venezuelan and African-American descent. She was born on Friday March
27th 1970 in New York. She was raised on Long Island, New York.

P3. How would I pick Mariah in a crowd?

Mariah used to be most commonly recognizable for her shoulder to elbow length
slightly reddish brown curly hair. But given the number of changes in the
last few years, the trademark look is now a thing of the past.

Mariah's hair was darker and straighter than her natural red/brown during
part of 1994 (see the Fantasy and Daydream covers), and in interviews and
video clips after the release of Daydream, her hair appeared much lighter,
although was once again curly.

Recently Mariah appears to be almost completely blonde, and her hair is once
again straight. In summary, I certainly wouldn't envy anyone who tried to
pick out Mariah in a crowd based on her hair colour. Better to look for her
new trademark- dark sunglasses.

Mariah has brown eyes, stands 175 cm tall (5'9") and weighs approximately 55
kg (120 lbs). She is tall and lean, and has tanned skin, partially natural
due to her parentage. Her dress size was reported by Cosmopolitan magazine in
the US as European 10 (US 6).

P4. What are Mariah's favourite things?

Mariah's favourite colour is pink, though she likes to wear black. Mariah
enjoys having fun outside, especially at the beach or at an amusment park-
but anywhere really. She also likes swimming, water-skiing and horseriding,
but appears to exclude competitive sports from her recreational activities.
For thrills she likes to try rollercoasters.

Mariah likes to spend time with her animals when at home. Her oldest animals,
mentioned in many interviews, are:

Jack a Jack Russell Terrier
Ginger a Yorkshire Terrier
Princess & Duke Mariah's Dobermans
Tompkins Mariah's Persian cat

More recently Mariah has obtained two more cats Clarence & Puffy, and Tommy
gave her another dog as a gift a couple of years ago. In Japan recently she
added two further small dogs, Bing and Bong. Her pets live with her in her
Manhattan apartment.

Mariah likes listening to rap and other contemporary music styles. Covers of
'Without You', 'Open Arms' and the reworking of 'Genius Of Love' into
'Fantasy' demonstrate Mariah's strong sentimental attachment to songs of the
late '70s and early to mid '80s. (This period formed the musical backdrop to
her teenage years.)

Mariah was inspired to her original style of singing by listening to Alison's
collection of soul, jazz and gospel. But lately she has been showing a
leaning towards a more urban sound.

When curling up to watch a movie, Mariah prefers comedy and horror. However,
her choice of favourite actors- Marilyn Monroe and James Dean- might also
indicate a soft spot for movies made during Hollywood's golden years. For a
TV dinner, Mariah is likely to choose pasta, or perhaps salad. She used to be
a vegetarian, but lapsed when she married Tommy.

P5. What was Mariah's first wedding like?

Her first wedding, to Tommy Mottola (see P7), was a bit like a Royal wedding,
as Mariah modelled it on the wedding of their Royal Highnesses Prince Charles
and Princess Diana. Her excuse for using this wedding as a basis for her own
was that she never really had much interest in weddings as a girl, and she
wanted to know what such a gala affair should be like. Even the tiara she
wore, a family heirloom, was redesigned to look like the Princess's. Her
wedding dress was an ivory-silk duchess satin gown designed by Vera Wang,
with a 8.25 m (27') train and matching satin pumps. The whole affair cost
almost $US0.5M, not including the 1893 sixpence Mariah put in one of her
shoes for luck.

There has not yet been a second wedding, but since Mariah's separation and
divorce from Tommy, the gossip press has been alive with speculation about
the celebrities Mariah might now romantically linked with. Even Tommy has not
been left alone by the ruthless rumour mills.

P6. Does Mariah smoke?

Most people assume not, and that assumption is true. However, a more
pertinent question is "Has she ever smoked?" This is a question that appears
only have ever been asked of Mariah by the public, and the answer is yes.

Mariah smoked during her teenage years, until the age of 18 when she gave up
in one day. Legend has it (and it is probably as good as any other
explanation) that just before she quit, Mariah lost her voice and promised
God she wouldn't smoke if she got it back. She did, so she doesn't.

P7. Who was Mariah's first husband?

Thomas D Mottola Jr was married to Mariah in June 1993. Tommy, as he is
known, has risen from being a so-so talent manager to CEO of one of the
biggest and most dominant entertainment corporations in the world, Sony
Entertainment. Born into a warm Italian family, Tommy carries the stigma
attached to his father's alleged connection with the mob. A hazard of sharing
his name, though marrying the daughter of an alleged mobster in 1971
certainly didn't help.

Along his rise to the top, Tommy has been a guitarist in a rock band, drag
raced, acted in four films under the stage name Tommy Valentine and even
tried his hand as a solo vocalist. Jack of all trades, master at none, Tommy
admits he was never a showman. But when he signed up Hall and Oates to Epic
records in the early 70s, his ascent to prominence was assured, perhaps more
through slick contracts than actual foresight.

Tommy even has had songs written about him. One is called 'Cherchez La
Femme', originally recorded by Dr Buzzard's Original Savannah Band. It was
rerecorded in 1994 by Epic Records' Gloria Estefan on her covers album 'Hold
Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me'. About singing of her boss, Gloria says in the
credits, "I got a real kick out of singing this one... I loved singing
[Tommy's] name [on the song]... Thankyou [Tommy]... My love to Mariah!" Tommy
was also recently the subject of a Vanity Fair article called 'Tommy Boy'
[Vanity Fair 97].

The divorce of Mariah and Tommy was finalized in March 1998 after a nine
month trial separation. Mariah has not remarried.

FAN QUESTIONS

F1. How do I join The Mariah Internet Fan Organization?

Go to the following Worldwide Web page:

http://www2.southwind.net/~ksims/fanorg.html

The fan club is unofficial and is not endorsed by Sony Music.

In addition to the fan organization, the When I Saw You Campaign takes
interest in the song "When I Saw You" from the Daydream album, and has been
promoting it for single release. For details, go to:

http://www.whenisawyou.home.ml.org

F2. How do I join Sony's official Mariah fan club?

The official fan club is a commercial enterprise run by Fan Emporium on
behalf of Mariah's management. They can be contacted at

FnEmp...@aol.com

or you can visit their web page at

http://www.fanemporium.com/mariah.html

As of December 1996, it costs $US28.00 to join the fan club (or $22.00 if you
live in the US). Renewal is cheaper at $US24.00 (or $18.00 in the US). Mail
your application or queries to one of the following addresses.

In the US, Europe and Australia (as well as other countries not listed
individually below):

Mariah Carey Fan Club
PO Box 679
Branford CT 06405
USA

In the UK:

Mariah Carey Fan Club
C/- Fan Emporium, Inc.
37 Store Street
London WC1 E7BS
ENGLAND

In France (this address is unconfirmed):

Mariah Carey Fan Club
C/- Columbia
131 Avenue de Wagram
75017 Paris
FRANCE

In Japan:

Mariah Carey Fan Club
Fan Emporium Japan
PO Box 5445
(Tokyo International Post Office
2-33 Otemachi, Chiyodaku)
Tokyo 100-31
JAPAN

In Hong Kong/China:

Mariah Carey Fan Club
C/- Fan Emporium Inc.
PO Box 98467
(Tsim Sha Tsui Post Office)
Kowloon
HONG KONG

Members of the club receive:

20 x 25 cm (8" x 10") colour photograph
20 x 25 cm (8" x 10") black and white photograph
Fan club membership card
Exclusive biography
Personal fact sheet on Mariah
Official fan club photo pin
Mariah Carey Information Line
Annual newsletters, updated quarterly for new members
Merchandise offers

(Editor's note: I am not a member of the club, so I cannot offer any advice
as to the quality of service they provide. My own personal thought is that
membership would offer little benefit, especially if the complaints and
rumours one often hears about the Emporium are to be believed. Commercial
outfits of this kind are there to make a profit, not to help fans.)

F3. Where do I write to Mariah Carey?

The preferred addresses are those of the Fan Emporium given in the previous
question. All the addresses I list below are fairly old, and I wouldn't rely
on any of them. Anyone with some better ones should contact me.

In no particular order:

Mariah Carey
C/- Columbia Records
PO Box 4450
New York NY 10101-4450
USA

Mariah Carey
C/- Columbia Records
Sony Music Entertainment
550 Madison Ave
New York NY 10022
USA

F4. What are some Mariah collectables?

[Recent posters]

Daydream black & gold release banner
Daydream album cover square poster
Daydream poster 55 x 100 cm featuring Fantasy cover pose
Fantasy poster (A) featuring mirrored Fantasy cover pose (portrait)
Fantasy poster (B) featuring retouched Fantasy cover pose (landscape)
Daydream cardboard display (approx 1.5 m tall)
Butterfly album cover square poster
Butterfly poster 100 x 70 (landscape)

[Tour merchandise]

"Mariah Carey" Butterfly world tour book (32 pages, 35 x 28 cm, full colour)
Butterfly tour T-shirt (black, eyes open; cream, eyes shut)
Butterfly cap
Butterfly crop tops (two designs)
Butterfly key rings

[Limited release albums]

Cinderella Story (Japan; promo)
Music Box- Gold Souvenir Edition (Australia)
Let's Party With Mariah Carey (Japan; rare promo)
Love And Dream (Japan; very rare promo- see question F5)

See also M2b(ii).

[Limited release singles]

Fantasy- Remixes (Australia)
Fantasy- Remixes (UK)
Joy To The World (Australia) ** [low in stock]
Open Arms (Cream) (Austria)
Open Arms (Blue) (Austria)
Open Arms #1 & #2 (Australia)
Always Be My Baby- Remixes (Australia/UK)
Joy To The World 12" Red Vinyl

[Special album versions]

Music Box (outside US)- featuring Everything Fades Away
Merry Christmas (Australia)- featuring God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

[Computer software]

'Dreamlover' Screensaver
'Merry Christmas' CD ROM session (see question T1)
Assorted MIDI files *

[Instrumental albums]

The Music Of Mariah Carey (Elap; 16 tracks)

[Known bootlegs]

All I Want For Xmas Is You *
Best Ballads *
Camp Mariah *
(similar to Fox special; 16 tracks, including JTTW (live))
Dance Collection *
Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend *
(similar to NBC special)
Lovely Night *
(similar to NBC special)
Mariah Carey Live *
(similar to NBC special; Amcos; 10 tracks)
Mariah Carey Live In The USA *
Mariah Carey Greatest Hits Live *
(similar to NBC special; Amcos; 15 tracks)
Out In Japan
(similar to NHK special; 15 tracks, including 'Just Be Good To Me')
Someday *
Someday Somewhere
(similar to NBC special)
Take Me Away *
(similar to NBC special)
Twelve Inch Collection of Mariah Carey, The *
(TCOMC1001; 13 tracks)
Very Best Of Mariah Carey Live In Concert, The *
(from Aust; 17 tracks; 70:39; also known as 'Music Box Tour 93',
'One Night In LA')
Visions Of Love *
Without You *

* These items may not be licensed, and so artist royalties are in doubt.
** These items are currently available from the FAQ maintainer. Some other
Australian items may become available if demand is sufficient. See question
F6 for Internet traders.

F5. What are some rare Mariah collectables?

One of the most highly valued Mariah Carey collectables (according to an
issue of Record Collector magazine) is one of two "greatest hits" promos
released for the Japanese concerts. 'Love and Dream', of which 200 copies
were produced, is currently valued at $US300. (The other is called 'Let's
Party With Mariah Carey'- see question F4.) The promo issue of the Japanese
picture CD double set 'Open Arms'/ 'One Sweet Day' is an equally treasured
rare item.

[Love And Dream (special Japanese tour promo; mixed set)]

SONG Title
1. All I Want For Christmas Is You
2/10. One Sweet Day
3. Hero
4. Open Arms

5. Miss You Most (At Christmas Time)

6/14. One Sweet Day (Live Version)
7. Vision Of Love
8. Underneath The Stars
9. Without You
11. Anytime You Need A Friend (C&C Radio Mix)
12. Open Arms
13. I'll Be There
15. Joy To The World
16. Fantasy

Sony Brazil recently released a rare CD promo containing remixes of
'Butterfly' by DJ Meme (Marcelo Mansur). Less than 100 copies were produced,
which could indicate this item would be of a high collectable value.

Other very rare items include:

(a) The Spanish 1-track wallet sleeve edition of 'Never Forget You'. Very few
(in the order of 100) of these were produced.

(b) The Australian bonus limited edition 'Mariah Carey' CD, supplied with
copies of Mariah's debut album (see M2(i)a for details). The set is very hard
to obtain.

(c) The Canadian promo-only CD 'Unplugged- The Radio Special', which includes
music and an interview. The CD has a picture sleeve and a custom cue sheet.
It's rarity is indicated by the fact that it is currently valued at around
$US550.

F6. Where can I get Mariah collectables?

[Freelance collectable traders on Internet]

NAME Address Location (Notes)
Ahmed, S & R kas...@icon.co.za South Africa (expert)
Allison, Simon si...@fantasydiscos.demon.co.uk United Kingdom
Hansson, Kade kad...@postoffice.utas.edu.au Australia (recent releases)
Yeko, Jennifer jenn...@aol.com United States (large stock)

(If you would also like your name to appear here, please contact the FAQ
maintainer.)

You could also join the Mariah Carey marketplace mailing list. (See question
G7.)

In Australia, a company called Just Entertainment has a complete listing of
posters, calendars, autographed photos, T-shirts and cards. If you write to
them, they will send a catalogue if you include a self addressed business-
sized envelope. They do accept overseas orders, but only if payment is made
in Australian dollars and adequate payment for postage and handling is
included. The address is:

Just Entertainment
PO Box 153
Paddington NSW 2021
AUSTRALIA
(Phone [61] 2 9361 6952;
Fax [61] 2 9361 6952)

The above address is taken from 'Mariah Carey: A Musiclife Tribute' [13], and
was current in December 1996. Please submit the addresses of reputable
traders in other countries to the FAQ maintainer.

(Editor's note: I cannot offer any guarantee that any trader listed (apart
from myself) is reliable, and I cannot be held liable for loss or damages
arising as a result of information provided by this or any other question in
this FAQ.)

Kade Hansson

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
Archive-name: music/mariah-carey-faq/part3

Posting-Frequency: monthly (final Wednesday)
Last-modified: 1998/08/28
Version: 30

M2e. VIDEOGRAPHY INDEX

(i) [Video albums (5)]

VIDEO Title Year
01. The First Vision 1991
02. MTV Unplugged +3 1992
03. Mariah Carey (NBC TV Special) 1994
04. Fantasy: Mariah Carey Live At MSG (FOX TV Special) 1996
05. Daydream: From New York To Tokyo (FOX TV Special) 1997

(ii) [Video singles (2)]

VIDEO Title Year
01. Honey (Australia, UPC 664747 5, rated PG) 1997
02. My All (US, 38V78446, rated PG) 1998

(iii) [Video clips (36)]

CLIP Title Directors Year
01. Vision Of Love Bojan Bazelli 1990
02. Love Takes Time Jeb Bien, Wayne Maser 1991
03a. Someday Larry Jordan 1991
03b. Someday (extended) Larry Jordan 1991
04. I Don't Wanna Cry Jeb Bien 1990
05. There's Got To Be A Way 1990
06a. Emotions Jeff Preiss 1991
06b. Emotions (extended) Jeff Preiss 1991
07. Can't Let Go Jim Sonzero 1991
08. Make It Happen Marcus Nispel 1992
09a. I'll Be There (live) Larry Jordan 1992
09b. If It's Over (live) Larry Jordan 1992
10. Dreamlover Diane Martel 1993
11a. Hero Larry Jordan 1993
11b. Hero (version) 1993
12. Without You Larry Jordan 1994
13a. Anytime You Need A Friend D Federici 1994
13b. AYNAF (remix) D Federici 1994
14a. All I Want For Christmas Is You Diane Martel 1994
14b. AIWFCIY (mimed) 1994
15. Miss You Most (At Christmas Time) Diane Martel 1994
16a. Joy To The World (live) 1994
16b. Joy To The World (remix) 1996
17a. Fantasy Mariah Carey 1995
17b. Fantasy (rap version) Mariah Carey 1995
18a. One Sweet Day 1995
18b. One Sweet Day (live) 1995
19. Open Arms (live) Larry Jordan 1996
20a. Always Be My Baby Mariah Carey 1996
20b. Always Be My Baby (rap version) Mariah Carey 1996
21. Forever (live) Larry Jordan 1996
22a. Honey Paul Hunter 1997
22b. Honey (rap version) Daniel Pearl 1997
23. Butterfly 1997
24. Breakdown Diane Martel 1998
25a. My All 1998
25b. My All (remix) 1998
26. The Roof (remix) 1998

1,2,3b,4 appear on video album 1. First Vision
6b,7,8 appear on video album 2. MTV Unplugged +3
10 appears on video album 3. Mariah Carey
13b,18a appear on video album 4. Fantasy: Mariah Carey Live at MSG
22a,22b appear on video single 1. Honey
24,25a appear on video single 2. My All

- - - - - - - - - -

M2f. ALBUM AND SINGLE VIDEOGRAPHY

(i) [Video albums]

VIDEO Title DESCRIPTION

01. The First Vision Videos: 'Vision Of Love', 'Love Takes Time',
'I Don't Wanna Cry' (edit), 'Someday' (extended);
Live performaces: 'Vanishing',
'Don't Play That Song'; Interviews; and a
backstage look at her Saturday Night Live
appearance (27 Oct 1990).

02. MTV Unplugged +3 Videos: 'Can't Let Go', 'Emotions' (extended),
'Make It Happen'; Live performances from
Kaufman Astoria Studios, NY: 'Emotions',
'If It's Over', 'Someday', 'Vision Of Love',
'Make It Happen', 'I'll Be There'; Interviews;
behind the scenes footage; and Mariah's home
movies.

03. Mariah Carey Live performances from Proctor's Theatre, NY:
'Emotions', 'Hero', 'Someday', 'Without You',
'Make It Happen', 'Dreamlover',
'Love Takes Time', 'Anytime You Need A Friend',
'Vision Of Love', 'I'll Be There'; Interviews;
and Mariah's home movies. Videos: 'Dreamlover'

04. Fantasy: Mariah Live performances at Madison Square Garden, NY:
Carey Live at Madison 'Fantasy', 'Make It Happen', 'Open Arms',
Square Garden 'Dreamlover', 'Without You', 'One Sweet Day',
'I'll Be There', 'Hero', 'Always Be My Baby',
'Forever', 'Vision Of Love', 'Bad Boy Fantasy With
ODB'. Videos: 'One Sweet Day', 'Anytime You Need A
Friend' (extended)

05. Daydream: From New Live performances from Madison Square Garden,
York To Tokyo NY and Tokyo Dome, Japan. DVD only (see T3). Tracks:

SONG Title (Venue)
01. Fantasy (Tokyo Dome)
02. Fantasy (Bad Boy Fantasy With ODB) (MSG)
03. Make It Happen (MSG/Tokyo Dome)
04. Underneath The Stars (Tokyo Dome)
05. Dreamlover (Tokyo Dome)
06. One Sweet Day (MSG)
07. Forever (Tokyo Dome)
08. Always Be My Baby (Tokyo Dome/MSG)
09. Hero (MSG/Tokyo Dome)
10. Anytime You Need A Friend (Tokyo Dome)

(ii) [Video singles]

01. Honey Both versions of the Honey video clip.
See M2g below.

02. My All Includes the original My All clip and the
Breakdown clip. See M2g.

- - - - - - - - - -

M2g. CLIP VIDEOGRAPHY

CLIP Title DESCRIPTION

1. Vision Of Love Set at the bottom of a staircase, on a large window
sill looking out onto flowing clouds. Mariah wears
a black jumpsuit.

2. Love Takes Time Black and white. Set on a beach. Mariah wears a one
piece swimsuit, wrapped in a blanket.

3b. Someday (extended) Set in a school. Mariah wears a wide-neck black top
and blue jeans.

4. I Don't Wanna Cry Sepia. Set in a living room.

6b. Emotions (extended) Sepia brown and blue; black and white. Shots
of Mariah riding in a convertible, with
some dancers, etc.

7. Can't Let Go Black and white. Set on a terrace. Mariah wears her
hair in a beehive.

8. Make It Happen Mariah sings to an audience in a church.

9a/b. IBT/IIO Live performances at Kaufman Astoria Studios, NY.

10. Dreamlover Mariah in a field, swimming in a stream and riding
in a hot air balloon.

13b. AYNAF (remix) Black and white. Mariah with straight hair. Behind
the scenes shots and out-takes.

14a. AIWFCIY Shots from: 'Merry Christmas' album photo shoot,
Mariah's Christmas home videos.

14b. AIWFCIY (mimed) Mimed sound stage performance (usu. black and
white), Mariah on raised pontoon, background singers
Mariah on raised pontoon, background singers behind;
Mariah wears a Santa type dress.

15. Miss You Most (ACT) Shots from: Mariah's Christmas home videos.

16a. Joy To The World Live performance at St John The Devine, NY;
(live) Arrangement similar to JTTW (Celebration Mix).

16b. Joy To The World Mariah in full length red dress, in the street and
(remix) playing around with friends at the airport.
Arrangement is JTTW (Celebration Mix).

17a. Fantasy Set in an amusement park.

17b. Fantasy (rap Set in an amusement park. Features rap segments by
version) Ol' Dirty Bastard.

18a. One Sweet Day Set in a recording studio.

18b. One Sweet Day Mimed performance for live television broascast.
(live)

19. Open Arms Live performance at Madison Square Garden, NY.

20a. Always Be My Baby Mariah on a swing, wearing blue.

20b. Always Be My Baby Black and white. Filmed at the recording studio
(rap version) in Mariah's mansion with Da Brat and Xscape.

21. Forever Live performance at Tokyo Dome, Japan.

22a. Honey A Spanish-speaking Mariah escapes the villans by
jet-ski. Mariah begins in a black dress, strips to
a cream bikini after jumping into a pool, changes
into a wetsuit for the jet-ski sequence etc.
Interleaved are dancing sequences featuring Mariah.
Set in Puerto Rico.

22b. Honey (rap The same action sequences as the original
version) version, but supplemented with additional scenes
featuring Mase, The Lox and Puffy, including one
where Mariah climbs aboard a helicopter.

23. Butterfly Mariah is in bed, wearing white, looking out to
a horse under a tree outside the window. She decides
to 'fly'.

24. Breakdown Mariah is in a casino dressed in various guises
as a showgirl. Her costumes: an exceedingly short
black minidress with exposed stockings and
suspenders, and a bowler hat; a tiger-striped dress
with some kind of crown and feather arrangement; and
a full length dress surrounded by a boa.

25a. My All Mariah adrift near a lighthouse. Dreams of
being reunited with the keeper.

- - - - - - - - -

M2h. SONGBOOK BIBLIOGRAPHY

SONGBOOK Title ISBN Pages
Mariah Carey 0-7935-0491-0 80
Mariah Carey- Easy Piano 0-7935-0732-4 48
Emotions 0-7935-1210-7 76
MTV's Unplugged 0-7935-1777-X 47
Music Box 0-7935-2986-7 55
Merry Christmas 0-7935-3965-X 55
Daydream 0-7935-5977-4 64
Butterfly ?-????-????-? -
The Essential Collection- Mariah Carey 0-7119-4463-6 79

- - - - - - - - - -

M3. What awards has Mariah been credited with?

(i) [Grammy Awards]

1991 Best Pop Vocal Performance
Best New Artist

(ii) [World Music Awards]

1995 America's Best Selling Recording Artist
1995 World's Best Selling Recording Artist
1998 World's Best Selling Female Recording Artist
1998 World's Best Selling R&B Recording Artist

(iii) [Billboard Music Awards]

1991 Hot 100 Singles Artist
Top Female Album Artist (for 'Mariah Carey')
Top Female Single Artist (for 'Vision Of Love')
1992 Top Female Album Artist (for 'Emotions')
Top Female Single Artist
1994 Female Artist Of The Year
1996 Special Award- Chart Performance (for 'One Sweet Day')

(iv) [American Music Awards]

1991 Favourite Soul/R&B Female Artist
1993 Favourite Pop/Rock Female Artist
Top Contemporary Album (for 'MTV Unplugged EP')
1995 Favourite Pop/Rock Female Artist
1996 Favourite Pop/Rock Female Artist
Favourite Soul/R&B Female Artist
1998 Favourite Soul/R&B Female Artist

(v) [Soul Train Awards]

Mariah has been honoured in the catagories of:

1990 R&B / Urban Contemporary New Artist
R&B / Urban Contemporary Single, Female
(for her debut single 'Vision Of Love')
R&B / Urban Contemporary Album, Female
(for her debut album 'Mariah Carey')

(vi) [New York City Music Awards]

1991 Best Female Pop Vocalist

(vii) [Australian Record Industry Association Awards]

1994 Most Popular International Album Of The Year (for 'Music Box')
Take 40 Australia Best Chart Album Performance (for 'Music Box')
Most Popular Solo International Female

(viii) [UK Smash Hits Awards]

1994 Best Female Solo Singer
1995 Best Female Solo Singer

(ix) [Germany's Bravo magazine]

1994 Goldener Otto Award for Best Female Artist

(x) [Rockefeller Center Awards]

1994 Award for worldwide Music Box sales of over 20 million
Award for sales of 55 million records worldwide since 1990

(xi) [Blockbuster Awards]

1998 Most Popular Female Artist

M4. What records and precendents has Mariah set?

Worldwide:

* On average, one Mariah Carey album is bought every three seconds.
* Mariah has sold over 90 million albums in her first seven years.
('Mariah Carey', 'Emotions', 'MTV Unplugged EP', 'Music Box',
'Merry Christmas', 'Daydream', 'Butterfly')
* 'Music Box' has sold over 25 million copies.
* 'Daydream' has sold over 20 million copies.
* Mariah Carey is one of the first artists to release an interactive
CD Extra.

In the US:

* Mariah and Boyz II Men jointly hold the record for most
consecutive weeks at Billboard #1 for a single.
('One Sweet Day')
* She was the first artist in Billboard history to have her first 5
singles reach #1.
('Vision Of Love', 'Love Takes Time', 'Someday',
'I Don't Wanna Cry', 'Emotions')
* 12 of Mariah's 15 solo US singles have gone to #1 on the Billboard
chart.
('Vision Of Love', 'Love Takes Time', 'Someday',
'I Don't Wanna Cry', 'Emotions', 'I'll Be There',
'Dreamlover', 'Hero', 'Fantasy', 'Always Be My Baby',
'Honey', 'My All')
* She was only the second artist in Billboard history to debut at #1.
('Fantasy')
* The was the first artist in history to do it three times, twice
with a solo single.
('Fantasy', 'Honey')
* She is the only artist to have two Billboard #1 debuts, with
successive singles.
('Fantasy', 'One Sweet Day')
* She is the only artist to debut in the Billboard airplay charts
top ten twice.
('Fantasy', 'Honey')
* She holds the most weeks at Billboard #1 for a female artist.

In Australia:

* 'Music Box' has sold over 1.5 million copies. That is one for every
fifteen Australians.
* 'Fantasy' debuted at ARIA #2, and reached #1 in its second week
* During December 1995, Mariah had three simultaneous ARIA top 40
singles
('Fantasy', 'One Sweet Day', 'Joy To The World')

In Japan:

* 'Daydream' sold 0.5 million copies in its first week, beating the
previous record by 0.1 million. This was the best performance of
any album in its debut week in any country in the world!

(Editor's note: if you have any statistics or facts to add, perhaps about
your own country, please submit them to me. Note that I cannot include
information for awards unless you have the award title and date.)

M5. Does Mariah do rap?

Yes. Mariah does a rap on the song "Prisoner" from her debut album and a rap
at the end of "Let Me Know", which is a forthcoming B side. All other raps on
Mariah's singles have been performed by guest artists.

[Guest rap artists]

Old Dirty Bastard (ODB) Fantasy (Bad Boy Fantasy With ODB)
Fantasy (Bad Boy Mix)
Fantasy (Puffy's Club Mix)
Da Brat and Jermanine Dupri Always Be My Baby (Mr Dupri Mix)
Always Be My Baby (Mr Dupri Extended Mix)
Honey (So So Def Mix)
Lil' Vicious Always Be My Baby (Reggae Soul Mix)
Mase and The Lox Honey (Bad Boy Remix)

M6. What other songs has Mariah written?

(i) [Unrecorded/unreleased Spanish songs from 'Mariah Carey']

SONG (Translation) Write
Algun Dia (Someday) MC, BM
Desaparecer (Vanishing) MC, BM
Desde Arriba (Sent From Up Above) MC, RL
El Amor Toma Tiempo (Love Takes Time) MC, BM
No Quiero Llorar (I Don't Wanna Cry) MC, NW
Me Necesitas (You Need Me) MC, RL
Prisionero (Prisoner) MC, BM
Solo Enamorada (Alone In Love) MC, BM
Todo Esta En Tu Mente (All In Your Mind) MC, BM
Vision De Amor, Una (Vision Of Love) MC, BM

Abbrev Name
MC Mariah Carey

BM Ben Margulies
RL Rhett Lawrence
NW Narada Michael Walden

(ii) [Unrecorded/unreleased songs predating 'Mariah Carey']

SONG Write
Do You Ever Wonder MC, BM
Don't Take The World Away MC, BM
Echoes Of Love MC, BM
Here We Go Round Again MC, BM
Hypnotized MC, BM
I Lose Control MC, NW
Into The Light MC, BM
Let Me Go MC, BM
No Doubt MC, BM
Now You Got My Heart MC, BM
Surrender To Me MC, BM
Unspoken Emotion MC, BM

(iii) [Songs written for 'Trey Lorenz']

SONG Write
Always In Love * MC, LS
Someone To Hold WA, MC, TL

* Background vocalists include Mariah Carey

Abbrev Name
WA Walter Afanasieff
TL Trey Lorenz
LS Lloyd Lorenz Smith

(iv) [Songs written for 'Allure'*]

SONG Write
Head Over Heels MC, NJ, SB, JO, MW, SM
Last Chance MC, MR

* Album vocals were arranged by Mariah Carey

Abbrev Name
NJ N Jones (lyrics)
SB S Barnes
JO JC Oliver
MW M Williams
SM S Moltke
MR Mark C Rooney

(v) [Songs written for '7 Mile']

SONG Write
After MC, MR

Abbrev Name
MR Mark C Rooney

(vi) [Other songs cowritten by Mariah Carey]

SONG Write
Breaking The Chains MC, BS, DR
Help Me Find A Way To Your Heart WA, MC, AG, DH, JS
Can You Hear Me MC, BM

Abbrev Name
AG Alan E Gorrie
BM Barry Mann
DH Daryl F Hall
JS Jeffrey Y Smith
BS Brenda K Starr

M7. What songs were on the famous demo tape? (see also M1)

[Original Mariah Carey demo tape]

SONG
Alone In Love (demo version)
Someday (demo version)
All In Your Mind (demo version)
Prisoner (demo version)
Do You Ever Wonder (demo version) (see M6)

M8. What other songs have been produced by Mariah? (see also M1)

[Songs coproduced for 'Allure'*]

SONG Produce/Arrange
All Cried Out MC, WA
Head Over Heels MC, PT
Last Chance MC, MR

* Album vocals were arranged by Mariah Carey

Abbrev Name
WA Walter Afanasieff
MR Mark C Rooney
PT Poke & Tone for Track Masters Entertainment

[Songs coproduced for '7 Mile']

SONG Produce/Arrange
After MC,MR

Abbrev Name
MR Mark C Rooney

M9. Where has Mariah performed concerts?

CITY Dates
Brisbane, Australia 31 Jan 1998
Frankfurt, Germany 14 Jun 1996
Honolulu, Hawaii 21 Feb 1998
London, United Kingdom 23 Jun 1996
Melbourne, Australia 13 Feb 1998
Miami, Florida 03 Nov 1993
New York, New York 16 Mar 1992, 10 Dec 1993,
08 Dec 1994, 10 Oct 1995
Paris, France 20 Jun 1996
Perth, Australia 10 Feb 1998
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 02 Dec 1993
Rosemont, Illinois 17 Nov 1993
Rotterdam, Netherlands 17 Jun 1996
Sydney, Australia 03 Feb 1998, 06 Feb 1998
Tokyo, Japan 07 Mar 1996, 10 Mar 1996,
14 Mar 1996, 11 Jan 1998,
14 Jan 1998, 17 Jan 1998,
Worcester, Massachusetts 09 Nov 1993

M10. Which songs have Spanish versions?

Mariah has recorded Spanish versions of one song from Music Box, Daydream and
Butterfly, in keeping with the native language of her father. These songs
(except Mi Todo, the Spanish version of My All) have appeared on singles and
albums in some countries- refer to the "Mariah Carey Singles Discography"
document [Ahmed] for information (see M2b(iii) to find where to get this).

In addition, each song from the Mariah Carey album has a Spanish version
registered in the BMI music database, however these have not been released,
and recordings may not even exist.

[Spanish recordings]

ENGLISH Title SPANISH Title
Hero Heroe
Open Arms El Amor Que Sone
My All Mi Todo

Kade Hansson

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
Archive-name: music/mariah-carey-faq/part5

Posting-Frequency: monthly (final Wednesday)
Last-modified: 1998/08/28
Version: 30

TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

T1. What does the Merry Christmas CD Extra offer?

ALBUM Title Published Tracks UPC (Master) Length
Merry Christmas [CDX] Columbia 1995 10 CKR 66891 (DDD) 38:53

CD Extra (formerly called CD Plus) is a standard for multisession CDs
developed by Sony and supported by Microsoft. The Merry Christmas CD Extra
disc currently contain two sessions. The main session is the ten tracks that
comprise Merry Christmas (US Version), and this portion is playable on any
standard CD player. This session complies with the Red Book standard for
audio CDs.

The interactive portion is available only on multisession drives. You should
check that your drive is multisession before you decide to invest in a CD
Extra. Most drives produced today are multisession devices.

Assuming that you have a compatible drive, you will also need modern
hardware. The interactive program on the Merry Christmas requires a
reasonable processor (at least 66MHz or 20MIPS), and a reasonable video
driver (supporting 800x600 at 256 colours), a reasonable sound system (at
least 8 bit, 16 bit desirable) and at least 8Mb of memory. Most systems today
should have no trouble meeting these requirements.

Software to access the CD Extra is supplied on a separate standard Yellow
Book CD ROM, as are instructions to install it and test it. Once you have
installed this software, you can run the interactive program on the CD Extra.
If you have Microsoft Windows, you will need a CD Extra with a Windows
compatible interactive program. If you are using an Apple Macintosh, you will
need a Macintosh compatible CD Extra. On Windows 95, you will not need to use
the supplied driver software, as the operating system will automatically
recognize CD Extra discs.

The interactive program has many elements. Firstly, you have the option to
display the karaoke-style lyrics while playing the CD audio normally. Another
interactive portion allows the user to randomly access a discography of sound
samples from every track of every Mariah album, plus some video clips from
her full-length video releases.

A user-driven interview with Mariah shows a number of prerecorded video
interview clips where she answers questions about her feelings on Christmas
and the making of the album. The interview is set in a living room, and
Mariah is wearing one of her Christmas costumes, playing with the newest of
her dogs.

Two full-length video clips are also included, a mimed black and white
performance of All I Want For Christmas Is You, and a live performance of Joy
To The World. As well, an interactive photo album shows some holiday season
photographs of Mariah with some animation.

T2. What is the #Mariah chat channel all about?

I like to imagine the channel as a warm cosy little room in which Mariah
fan's gather together and discuss 'stuff'. Of course, we often talk about
Mariah stuff, but it's hardly a rule. It is not a channel to chat with Mariah
herself, however, and you should be aware that many people impersonate her,
mainly in good fun.

If you have a chat client program for IRC, you will need to point it to a
server computer on a chat network called Undernet. The channel called #Mariah
is on this network, and can be reached from many servers, including:

[America and Australia]
ann-arbor.mi.us.undernet.org (Michigan)
davis.ca.us.undernet.org (California)
lowell.ma.us.undernet.org (Massachusetts)
vancouver.bc.ca.undernet.org (Canada- works well from Australia)
okc.ok.us.undernet.org
okc2.ok.us.undernet.org
au.undernet.org (Australia- usually disconnected from the world)

[Europe]
fr.undernet.org (France- also available from Australia as a last resort)
nl.undernet.org (Netherlands)
si.undernet.org
uk.undernet.org (United Kingdom)
eu.undernet.org

To use IRC you choose a unique nickname (that people on IRC will refer to you
by) and connect to the server. Once connected, the IRC server responds to
commands. The command to connect to #Mariah is:

/join #Mariah

Simply introduce yourself by typing messages at the keyboard. Usually there
will be someone willing to help you get started with a few commands. But be
careful exactly what commands you type, as some people may try to trick you
into disclosing private information.

There are also other channels where you may go, but #Mariah is the
traditional channel. If it is quiet, use one of the following to join other
possible channels:

/join #mariah_carey
/join #mariahcarey
/join #mariah-carey

To learn about the history of the #Mariah channel, go to Sunbelt's
retrospective page at:

http://www.newageco.com/irc

T3. Does Mariah have any DVDs?

[DVDs (Digital Video Discs) are a very high density CD-like medium used for
storing compressed digital video of a very high quality. They are not
currently very widespread, but are expected to become so as DVD-ROM drives
(analogous to CD-ROM drives) become popular in computer applications, thus
bringing the cost down as economies of scale take hold.]

Yes, Mariah has a DVD called "Daydream: From New York To Tokyo", details of
which are listed in the album videography (question M2f). One would expect
future video album releases also to be available as DVDs, as well as a
retrospecive publishing of previous video albums as DVDs become popular.

MISCELLANEOUS QUESTIONS

X1. When was the newsgroup founded?

I personally like to set the date as being Monday 25th December 1995, the day
of the first Mariah Carey Internet Christmas party on IRC. The newsgroup was
created after my Call For Votes document drew 211 'yes' votes to 61 'no'
votes.

X2. What is MCT?

Mariah Carey Time (MCT) is New York time, or US Eastern Standard Time (EST),
which is 5 hours behind Greenwich Mean Time (GMT, or UTC). MCT is
traditionally used to arrange Internet chats between Mariah fans.

X3. What is 'The Gospel According To Vision'?

The Gospel is a little joke about how fanatical some Mariah fans can be. It
begins something like this:

"In the beginning, there was the word, and the word was Mariah.
Mariah then proceeded to create God to keep her company."
- Archer 1:1

X4. What is all this AIWFCIY and AYNAF and DYTOM stuff?

These are abbreviations for Mariah's songs, derived from the initial capitals
in the song's title.

[Index of Mariah Carey songs (including abbreviations)]

SONG Title Abbrev Source (Reference)
After 7 Mile (M6(v))
Algun Dia (Someday) BMI/ASCAP database (M6(i))
All Cried Out ACO Allure (M8)
All In Your Mind AIYM Mariah Carey (M2c(i); 06.)
All I've Ever Wanted AIEW Music Box (M2c(iv); 10.)
All I Want For Christmas Is You AIWFCIY Merry Christmas (M2c(vi); 02.)
Alone In Love AIL Mariah Carey (M2c(i); 07.)
Always Be My Baby ABMB Daydream (M2c(vii); 05.)
Always In Love Trey Lorenz (M6(iii))
Anytime You Need A Friend AYNAF Music Box (M2c(iv); 03.)
Babydoll Butterfly (M2c(ix); 07.)
Beautiful Ones, The [T]BO Butterfly (M2c(ix); 11.)
Breakdown Butterfly (M2c(ix); 06.)
Breaking The Chains BMI/ASCAP database (M6(vi))
Butterfly Butterfly (M2c(ix); 02.)
Can't Let Go CLG Emotions (M2c(ii); 03.)
MTV Unplugged (M2c(iii); 07.)
Can You Hear Me BMI/ASCAP database (M6(vi))
Close My Eyes CME Butterfly (M2c(ix); 08.)

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)

CBPCH Merry Christmas (M2c(vi); 04.)
Fantasy Daydream (M2c(vii); 01.)
Daydream Interlude Daydream (M2c(vii); 11.)
Desaparecer (Vanishing) BMI/ASCAP database (M6(i))
Desde Arriba (Sent From Up Above) BMI/ASCAP database (M6(i))
Don't Play That Song DPTS First Vision, The (M2f 01.)
Mariah Carey (M2c(i)a; 04.)
Don't Take The World Away DTTWA BMI/ASCAP database (M6(ii))
Do You Ever Wonder DYEW BMI/ASCAP database (M7)
Do You Think Of Me DYTOM Dreamlover (M2d(i))
Dreamlover Music Box (M2c(iv); 01.)
Echoes Of Love BMI/ASCAP database (M6(ii))
El Amor Que Sone (Open Arms) EAQS Open Arms (M2c)
El Amor Toma Tiempo (Love Takes Time) BMI/ASCAP database (M6(i))
Emotions Emotions (M2c(ii); 01.)
MTV Unplugged (M2c(iii); 01.)
Endless Love EL Songs (M2c(v); 03.)
Everything Fades Away EFA Hero (M2d(iv); 03.)
Music Box (M2c(iv); 11.)
Every Time I Close My Eyes ETICME The Day (M2c(viii))
Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise) FA Butterfly (M2c(ix); 10.)
Forever Daydream (M2c(vii); 10.)
Fourth Of July FOJ Butterfly (M2c(ix); 05.)
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen GRYMG Merry Christmas (M2c(vi); 11.)

Hark! The Herald Angels Sing/ Gloria (In Excelsis Deo)

HTHAS Merry Christmas (M2c(vi); 09.)
Head Over Heels HOH Allure (M6(iv))
Help Me Find A Way To Your Heart BMI/ASCAP database (M6(vi))
Here We Go Round Again BMI/ASCAP database (M6(ii))
Hero Music Box (M2c(iv); 02.)
Heroe (Hero) Heroe Spain (see M10)
Honey Butterfly (M2c(ix); 01.)
Hypnotized BMI/ASCAP database (M6(ii))
I Am Free IAF Daydream (M2c(vii); 06)
I Don't Wanna Cry IDWC Mariah Carey (M2c(i); 03.)
If It's Over IIO Emotions (M2c(ii); 05.)
MTV Unplugged (M2c(iii); 02.)
I'll Be There IBT MTV Unplugged (M2c(iii); 06)
I Lose Control BMI/ASCAP database (M6(ii))
Into The Light BMI/ASCAP database (M6(ii))
I've Been Thinking About You IBTAY Music Box (M2c(iv); 09.)
Jesus Born On This Day JBOTD Merry Christmas (M2c(vi); 07.)
Jesus Oh What A Wonderful Child JOWAWC Merry Christmas (M2c(vi); 10.)
Just To Hold You Once Again JTHYOA Music Box (M2c(iv); 08.)
Joy To The World JTTW Merry Christmas (M2c(vi); 06.)
Last Chance Allure (M6(iv))
Let Me Know LMK See M5
Long Ago Daydream (M2c(vii); 08.)
Looking In Daydream (M2c(vii); 12.)
Love Takes Time LTT Mariah Carey (M2c(i); 11.)
Make It Happen MIH Emotions (M2c(ii); 04.)
MTV Unplugged (M2c(iii); 05.)
Make You Happy MYH Men In Black soundtrack (Trey
Lorenz)
Melt Away Daydream (M2c(vii); 09.)
Me Necesitas (You Need Me) BMI/ASCAP database (M6(i))

Medley (Someday, Prisoner, All In Your Mind)

Vision Of Love UK (M2d(i))

Miss You Most (At Christmas Time)

MYMACT Merry Christmas (M2c(vi); 05.)
Music Box Music Box (M2c(iv); 04.)
My All MA Butterfly (M2c(ix); 03.)
Never Forget You NFY Music Box (M2c(iv); 06.)
No Doubt BMI/ASCAP database (M6(ii))
No Quiero Llorar (I Don't Wanna Cry) BMI/ASCAP database (M6(i))
Now That I Know NTIK Music Box (M2c(iv); 05.)
Now You Got My Heart BMI/ASCAP database (M6(ii))
O Holy Night OHN Merry Christmas (M2c(vi); 03.)
One Sweet Day OSD Daydream (M2c(vii); 03.)
Open Arms OA Daydream (M2c(vii); 04.)
Outside Butterfly (M2c(ix); 12.)
Prisoner Mariah Carey (M2c(i); 10.)
Prisionero (Prisoner) BMI/ASCAP database (M6(i))
Roof, The Butterfly (M2c(ix); 01.)
Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town SCICTT Merry Christmas (M2c(vi); 08.)
Sent From Up Above SFUA Mariah Carey (M2c(i); 09.)
Silent Night Merry Christmas (M2c(vi); 01.)
Slipping Away ABMB US (see [Ahmed])
Open Arms (M2d(x))
So Blessed Emotions (M2c(ii); 07.)
Solo Enamorada (Alone In Love) BMI/ASCAP database (M6(i))
Someday Mariah Carey (M2c(i); 04.)
MTV Unplugged (M2c(iii); 03.)
Someone To Hold Trey Lorenz (M6(iii))
Stay Awhile (My All So So Def Mixes) My All/Stay Awhile (M2b(xvi))
Surrender To Me BMI/ASCAP database (M6(ii))
There's Got To Be A Way TGTBAW Mariah Carey (M2c(i); 02.)
Till The End Of Time T[T]EOT Emotions (M2c(ii); 09.)
To Be Around You TBAY Emotions (M2c(ii); 08.)

Todo Esta En Tu Mente (All In Your Mind)

BMI/ASCAP database (M6(i))
Underneath The Stars UTS Daydream (M2c(vii); 02.)
Unspoken Emotion BMI/ASCAP database (M6(ii))
Vanishing Mariah Carey (M2c(i); 05.)
Vision Of Love VOL Mariah Carey (M2c(i); 01.)
MTV Unplugged (M2c(iii); 04.)
Vision De Amor, Una (Vision Of Love) BMI/ASCAP database (M6(i))
Whenever You Call WYC Butterfly (M2c(ix); 09.)
When I Saw You WISY Daydream (M2c(vii); 07.)
Wind, The Emotions (M2c(ii); 10.)
Without You WY Music Box (M2c(iv); 07.)
You Don't Remember, And [A]YDR Emotions (M2c(ii); 02.)
You Need Me YNM Mariah Carey (M2c(i); 08.)
You're So Cold YSC Emotions (M2c(ii); 06.)

X5. What was "Crave"?

"Crave" was the name of Mariah's record label, set up two years ago. A
division of Sony Music Entertaiment, created to support new musical talent,
as of last month Crave's operations were to be overhauled to enable it to
meet the expectations of Sony management. The changes have lead Mariah to be
dissatisfied, and this month the label's operations were wound up, with
president Rick Basceglia and promotion chief Lisa Wolfe being reassigned
within the Sony Music family, which includes Columbia (to which Mariah
herself is still signed) and Epic.

Allure were the first artists to see the benefit of the label with their
self-titled debut release of May 1997, which has Mariah attributed with the
vocal arrangements. Their debut single Head Over Heels, written by Mariah,
did well in the charts, and their album and subsequent singles (including All
Cried Out, which featured male vocalists 112) have had similar success.
Allure will appear on the soundtrack of the movie "Woo" with the song Let It
Be, beating Mariah herself to a spot on a soundtrack.

DJ Company, the second artist to have a release from Crave, had a limited
release of their single Rhythm Of Love in mid-1996. The dance act now have
their debut album on the shelves.

Luricia McNeal has had a single released to Europe and the US under the Crave
label: Ain't That Just The Way. Prince Markie Dee is another act signed to
the label.

SOAP, a female vocal group from Denmark, has had a European release of the
single This Is How We Party and self-titled album. The single is now being
played on radio in the US, and their album has now been released there.

More recently BET's "Planet Groove" program featured Mariah introducing R&B
group 7 Mile. The singles Just A Memory and Do Your Thing from their recently
released debut album have had moderate success in the US, but the all-girl
act is yet to break into overseas markets. The song After from 7 Mile's debut
album was cowritten and coproduced by Mariah.

See M6 and M8 for information on other tracks Mariah has written and produced
for Crave artists.

X6. What is "Camp Mariah"?

Camp Mariah is a camp for kids from inner city areas so that they may
experience a more positive lifestyle and involve themselves in the Fresh Air
Fund's Career Awareness Programme. Mariah has done benefit concerts and
appeared in advertisements for the charity, donating both time and money. For
information, or to make donations, write to:

The Fresh Air Fund
1040 Avenue Of The Americas
New York NY 10018
USA

The Fresh Air Fund also have a web page at:

http://www.freshair.org

SELECTED BIBLIOGRAPHY

[Ahmed]* Ahmed, S & R, "Mariah Carey Singles Discography", June 1998

[Archer 95a] Hansson, KF, "Mariah Carey Makes US Chart History" (cover
story), The Archer Review, Issue 3, "The Daydream Edition", 26 Sep 1995
(TARX003)

[Archer 95b] Hansson, KF, "Fantastic Success Continues With Daydream" (cover
story), The Archer Review, Issue 4, "Thanksgiving Special Preview", 23 Oct
1995 (TARX004)

[Archer 95c] Hansson, KF, "One Not So Sweet Day For Whitney" (cover story),
The Archer Review, Issue 5, "The 1995 Archer Award Nominees", 7 Dec 1995
(TARX005)

[Archer 97a] Hansson, KF, "Mariah Carey And Husband Separate" (cover story),
The Archer Review, Issue 6, "The Return Edition", 12 Jun 1997 (TARX006)

[Archer 97b] Hansson, KF, "Mariah Carey Leaves Longtime Manager" (cover
story), The Archer Review, Issue 7, "The Honey Edition", 6 Aug 1997
(TARX007)

[Archer 97c] Hansson, KF, "Mariah Carey Breaks More Records" (cover story),
The Archer Review, Issue 8, "The Butterfly Edition", 15 Sep 1997 (TARX008)

[Archer 98a] Hansson, KF, "Divorce Finalized", The Archer Review, Issue 9,
"The Birthday Edition", 30 Mar 1998 (TARX009)

[Archer 98b] Hansson, KF, "My All Finally Released To All Markets" (cover
story), The Archer Review, Issue 10, "The My All Edition", 14 May 1998
(TARX010)

[Billboard 95a] "Columbia Blitz for Carey's 'Daydream' A Global Reality",
Billboard, 9 Sep 1995

[Billboard 95b] "Mariah Carey Makes Her Own Daydream Come True", Billboard, 5
Sep 1995

[Billboard 95c] "Mariah Carey Sets Record With Two Billboard #1 Debuts",
Billboard, 20 Sep 1995

[Billboard 96a] "Mariah Carey's 'Always Be My Baby' Hits #1 Slot", Billboard,

[Blanco y Negro 96]* Gutierrez, I, "Mariah Carey", Blanco y Negro, 7 Jan 1996
(Spanish; translation by Garcia, JM and Hansson, KF)

[Boston 96] Katz, L, "Queen Of The Grammys? Experts Call The Win Mariah's",
Boston Herald, 28 Feb 1996

[Bravo 96] "Mariah Carey", Bravo Magazine, 1996

[Ebony 94] "Mariah Carey", Ebony, Apr 1994, pp. 55-60

[GMG 96]* Dawn, A (ed), "Mariah: A Musiclife Tribute", GMG Publishing 1996
(30 pages colour, including 40 photographs, ISBN 1-876182-03-2 (Australia))

[Jet 93]* Johnson, RE, "Mariah Carey" (cover story), JET 1993

[Nickson 95]* Nickson, C, "Mariah Carey: Her Story", St. Martin's Griffin
1995 (153 pages, including 10 photographs, ISBN 0-312-13121-6 (US))

[Q 94] "Mariah Carey", Q Magazine, Jun 1994

[Sun 95] "I've Kept Tatty Old Shoes To Remind Me Of Old Times", Sun
Newspaper, 5 Oct 1995

[Star 95] "Why Mariah Won't Turn The Other Cheek", Star Magazine, 18 Jul
1995

[Us 93]* Dunn, J, "Mariah Carey: The Us Interview", Us, Oct 1993, pp. 55-59

[Vanity Fair 96] "Tommy Boy", Vanity Fair, Nov 1996

[Vogue 94] "The Lady Is A Vamp", Vogue, Nov 1994

[Reuters 95] Silberman, J, "Carey Reins Over Pop Charts", Reuters, Oct 1995

[USA Today 95] Seiler, A, "When Boyz Meet Girl", USA Today, Oct 1995

Key biographical books and articles are marked with an asterisk.

(Editor's note: Back issues of 'The Archer Review' and hypertext versions of
many items are now available from the URL of this FAQ and its mirrors- see
introductory paragraphs.)

AUDIO/VIDEO INTERVIEWS

[1FM 96] 1FM Radio, United Kingdom, Feb 1996

[ET 95] Tesh, J, "Entertainment Tonight", Paramount Television, 13 Sep 1995

[Letterman 97] Letterman, D, "The Late Show", CBS, Oct 1997

[McMullen 97] McMullen, J, "Cinderella Story", "60 Minutes", Nine Network
Australia, 23 Nov 1997

[Meldrum 94] Meldrum, I, "Mariah Carey: All I Want For Christmas Is You",
Nine Network Australia, Dec 1994

[Meldrum 95a] Meldrum, I & Somers, D, "Hey Hey It's Saturday", Nine Network
Australia, 16 Sep 1995

[Meldrum 95b] Meldrum, I, "Mariah Carey: Daydream", Nine Network Australia,

[Meldrum 96] Meldrum, I, "Hey Hey It's Friday", Nine Network Australia, 8 Mar
1996

[Meldrum 97a] Meldrum, I, "Hey Hey It's Saturday", Nine Network Australia, 16
Aug 1997

[Meldrum 97b] Meldrum, I, "Mariah Carey: Butterfly", Nine Network Australia,

[MTV 95] Soren, T, MTV 1995 Video Music Awards Show (pre-show interview), Sep
1995

[NBC Today 97] Lauer, M, "Today", NBC, Sep 1997

[Nine Today 96] Wilkins, R, "Today", Nine Network Australia, 5 Jun 1996 & 7
Jun 1996

[Nine Today 97] Wilkins, R, "Today", Nine Network Australia, Sep 1997

[Somers 98] Somers, D, "Hey Hey It's Saturday", Nine Network Australia, 14
Feb 1998

OTHER ARTICLES

[Articles and plates* appearing in US magazines]

PUBLICATION (Date) Volume (Issue) Page Pages (Colour, B/W)
Cosmopolitan (Nov 1991) 211 (5) 182 4 (1)
Ebony (Mar 1991) 46 (5) 54 3 (6)
Ebony (Nov 1993) 49 (1) 36 4 (8)
Ebony (Apr 1994) 49 (6) 54 5 (10)
Entertainment Wy (19 Jun 1992) 70 1 (0)
Entertainment Wy (25 Dec 1992) (150) 72 0.2 (1)
Entertainment Wy (27 Aug 1993) 108 3 (0)
Entertainment Wy (26 Nov 1993) (198) 53 2 (0)
Entertainment Wy (17 Dec 1993) (201) 12 0.3 (5)
Jet (4 Mar 1991) 79 (20) 56 2 (0, 2)
Jet (3 May 1993) 84 (1) 18 0.3 (0)
Jet (24 Jan 1994) 85 (12) 52 6 (0, 7)
Jet (22 Aug 1995) 86 (16) 52 0.5 (0, 1)
Newsweek (6 Aug 1990) 116 (6) 63 0.3 (1)
People (28 Jan 1991) 35 (3) 56 2 (0, 1)
People (17 Jun 1991) 35 22 1 (0)
People (28 Oct 1991) 36 19 1 (0)
People (16 Dec 1991) 36 (23) 54 11 (0, 4)
People (30 Dec 1991) 36 (25) 90 2 (0, 1)
People (10 May 1993) 40 19 2 (0)
People (22 Nov 1993) 41 (21) 82 6 (0, 8)
Playboy (Jan 94) 41 26 1 (0)
Rolling Stone (23 Aug 1990) 585 33 0.7 (1)
Rolling Stone (21 Feb 1991) 170 2 (0)
Rolling Stone (14 Nov 1991) 180 2 (0)
Rolling Stone (10 Dec 1992) 76 2 (1)
Seventeen (Oct 1990) 49 (10) 64 1 (3)
Seventeen (Apr 1994) 53 (4) 132 4 (3, 4)
Stereo Review (Jan 1992) 77 1 (0)
Stereo Review (Jan 1994) 59 124 1 (0)
Teen (Jul 1993) 37 (7) 62 2 (2, 2)
Time (25 Jun 1990) 135 (26) 67 0.2 (1)
Time (6 Sep 1993) 142 67 1 (0)
TV Guide (13 Nov 1993) 41 (46) 22 3 (2)
Variety (25 Nov 1991) 342 248 1 (0)
Vogue (Dec 1994) 184 (12) 282 4 (1, 3)

* A plate is an image. The number of colour images refers to how many images
of any size were in colour. Similarly for black and white images.

[Articles and plates appearing in Australian magazines]

TITLE (Authors) Publication (Date) Pages (C, B/W;
L,M,S)
Star Profile: Mariah Carey TV Hits (1994) (1, 0; 1,0,0)
Hottest Woman On Earth #3 TV Hits (1994) (1, 0; 1,0,0)
Mariah's Family Crisis
(D Gardner) New Idea (7 Jan 1995) 12, 13 (1, 0; 1,1,0)
Daydream Believer TV Hits (Oct 1995) 35, 36 (0, 3; 1,0,1)
Just How Big Is Mariah's "Music
Box" TV Hits (Oct 1995) 36 (1, 0; 0,0,1)
A Daydream Come True Smash Hits (Nov 1995) (1, 0; 1,0,0)
Carey On Complaining (NT Koha,
I Meldrum) Herald-Sun (7 Dec 1995) 55, 56 (1, 0; 1,0,0)
One Sweet Duet TV Hits (Dec 1995) (1, 0 ; 0,0,1)
Women Set To Sweep Grammys Herald-Sun (6 Jan 1996) 15 (0, 1; 0,0,1)
Always Be Mariah TV Hits (Apr 1996) (1, 0; 0,0,1)
Mariah Carey: In Her Own Words TV Hits (Feb 1996) 58, 59 (3, 0; 1,1,0)
Conquering Colliwarbles Herald-Sun
(K Tulich) (30 Jun 1996) 119 (0, 1; 0,0,1)
The Mariah Carey Story Smash Hits (Sep 1996) 4-6 (4, 0; 2,2,0)
Forever Mariah TV Hits (Nov 1996) 33-37 (4, 0; 2,0,0)
The Real Mariah (L Howard) Star (Dec 1996) 66, 67 (1, 0; 1,0,0)
Hotline New Weekly
(E Clydsdale) (21 Jul 1997) 82, 83 (5, 0; 2,3,0)

THANKS

Special thanks to Derek Summers, Ken Sims, Dima Nechitailenko, Sieraaj and
Reidwaan Ahmed, Nghia Nguyen Dai (no wonder we call him Sunbelt), Anders
Wahlsten, Jens Ingvarsson and Jason So for all their help and support over
the years. I would also like to thank Melissa Batson, XSX, E-motion, J Manuel
Garcia, Norman Chu, Asenaca Vaniqi, Keith Cambra and Martijn Han. Thanks also
go to authors of the many articles (listed in the selected bibliography)
which were referred to in the construction of this document. As always, much
love and thanks to Mariah.