Since we're talking about Pacific Ocean Blue...

Dauber

Aug 22, 2003, 2:49:49 AM8/22/03
OK...I've expressed this rather unpopular opinion on other fora, but since it was brought up here...

Honestly, I don't think Pacific Ocean Blue is all THAT great...I seriously think that a lot of the "greatness" is simply because you're TOLD it's great.

"River Song" -- an UNBELIEVABLE track, easily worth the entire price of the album. Fantastic. Mind-blowing.

"Time" -- excellent song. Starts off mellow, and the funky brassy part in the end is something I can listen to for hours.

"Farewell My Friend" -- very touching, and a very nice song that shows Dennis's heart.

But...."What's Wrong" -- ehhh....so-so.

"Moonshine" -- instant yawn festival for Dauber, although I love how it was used in "Time To Be Still" on the latest Net Sounds.

"Pacific Ocean Blues" sounds like an alternate take of "Friday Night," which itself doesn't show me any revealing traits. Although I do like Mike Love's brilliant rhyme, "the slaughter of otters".

The only thing that grabs me about "Thoughts Of You" is the echo-suction effect as previously used in "Feel Flows."

And really, pretty much the whole album to me is a big "So what?" Nothing great, but nothing bad, really.

I used to hate Bamboo, btw...until I heard Dumb Angel's bootleg of it...sound quality makes all the difference.

--
dau...@banana-and-louie.org * ICQ: 28677921 * dauber.50megs.com

Dan Addington

Aug 22, 2003, 2:56:49 PM8/22/03

> I used to hate Bamboo, btw...until I heard Dumb Angel's bootleg of
it...sound quality makes all the difference.

> --
then I guess you never spent much time with the Bamboo *I* gave you,
because, if you A/B DA's (Dumb Angel's) Bamboo with DA's (Dan
Addington's)...the one I gave you still wins.

--
Dan

Visit the "Dennis Wilson: Dreamer" site at:
http://www.denniswilsondreamer.com

See Dan's paintings at:
http://www.dan.addington.com

Dauber <dau...@banana-and-louie.org> wrote in article
<1349.364T2492...@banana-and-louie.org>...

Richard Zbras

Aug 22, 2003, 4:53:34 PM8/22/03
hey i have ears and great taste in music. i bought POB maybe about eight
years ago even before i knew about this newsgroup or that Dennis even had
great musical talent. i was heavily into the beach boys at that time and i
happen to see POB at the stores and grabbed it. i feel the same way about
it today as i did when i first listened to it. it's a fuckin masterpiece.
Rich
"Dauber" <dau...@banana-and-louie.org> wrote in message

MDH

Aug 22, 2003, 7:25:18 PM8/22/03
"What's Wrong" rocks!!

Emdeeh :-)

OJLim

Aug 22, 2003, 9:56:21 PM8/22/03
Dauber <dau...@banana-and-louie.org> wrote:

> OK...I've expressed this rather unpopular opinion on other fora, but
> since it was brought up here...
>
> Honestly, I don't think Pacific Ocean Blue is all THAT great...I
> seriously think that a lot of the "greatness" is simply because you're
> TOLD it's great.

Hmm, I don't agree with what you say about Moonshine and ESPECIALLY not
Thoughts Of You, which is easily my favourite song on the album and my
favourite Denny vocal on the album. But I do think What's Wrong and
Pacific Ocean Blues don't sound hot. Basically, Denny was the master of
writing ballads but, ironically with someone with such a 'rock' image and
lifestyle, his rocky, harder songs weren't that gerat.

-OJ

CareyY

Aug 22, 2003, 10:34:27 PM8/22/03
I love every minute of POB!
Dennis proved with that album, and his steady growth leading up to it, that
he was no Ringo. Dennis stepped right up and knocked it out of the park on
his first try. For perspective, I always take the big picture into account.
Denny, the wild surfer dude begging his big brother to be a part of the
band, then becoming the band's sex symbol, then heart. I love his ballads,
they are so intense. Comparing Mike's, Carl's and Brian's solo efforts to
Denny's shows just how much he had seen and learned. Riversong is
monumental, just an excellent work. The rest of the album is so "not" Beach
Boys, but just great. The musical invention, the heartfelt vocals (rough as
they were), the way he says "I Love You" and "I'm Sorry", it always gets me.
He was so full of love and pain, and it was all poured out for us on vinyl.
In 1996, my best friend of twenty years decided he didn't want to live
anymore, and killed himself. Someone played "Farewell" after the funeral, so
sad, people dying before their time. Dennis, Tony, I love you guys. I know
you are better where you are, but I sure miss you here. You take the high
road, and I'll take the low, and we'll meet again...

CareyY
Gonna be at the bash!
http://www.denniswilsonbash.com/

Dan Addington

Aug 23, 2003, 1:03:00 PM8/23/03
Carey...that was really touching, man.

I think you've heard POB with open ears. It's true that not everybody is
going to dig every piece of music in this world, but for certain people,
POB speaks a very rare emotional truth.
--
Dan

Visit the "Dennis Wilson: Dreamer" site at:
http://www.denniswilsondreamer.com

See Dan's paintings at:
http://www.dan.addington.com

CareyY <cst...@SPAMsbcglobal.net> wrote in article
<ToA1b.852$vo6.41...@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>...

THE SON OF TRUTH

Aug 26, 2003, 1:37:04 AM8/26/03
>Subject: Re: Since we're talking about Pacific Ocean Blue...
>From: "CareyY" cst...@SPAMsbcglobal.net
>Date: 8/22/2003 9:34 PM Central Standard Time

>I love every minute of POB!
>Dennis proved with that album, and his steady growth leading up to it, that
>he was no Ringo.

Dennis proved that long before. I never heard the other Boys say "we all follow
Dennis when we're playing onstage."

............. Don't hate intelligence. You might be in need of some one day.

Andrew

Aug 26, 2003, 9:27:18 PM8/26/03
In Moonshine, when Dennis sings... "You said you love me now, in
another way.... Ohhh in another way... Na na na noo na na na na
nahhhh"

Wonderful.

Hey Dan, I would love a copy of the Bamboo you accidentally overheard
someone saying something about one day.

Andrew

Dan Addington

Aug 27, 2003, 1:53:50 PM8/27/03
contact me off - list
--
Dan

Visit the "Dennis Wilson: Dreamer" site at:
http://www.denniswilsondreamer.com

See Dan's paintings at:
http://www.dan.addington.com

Andrew <petso...@yahoo.com> wrote in article
<99a76095.03082...@posting.google.com>...

The old geezer

Jul 10, 2020, 1:35:03 PM7/10/20
Heresy!!! Treason!!!! Infidel!!!! Tar & Feather time!!