contest to meet Amy & see her in concert

WLFRISBEE

May 7, 2002, 8:54:03 AM5/7/02
(From Dawn Mosley, FOA director):

<<Here's an interesting tidbit... Word Records is hosting a Legacy contest
beginning today, May 7th. Waste no time logging onto their site
http://www.wordrecords.com/contests/amy_win_trip.html for all the details.
I'm thinking there's something about a trip and meeting Amy or something...
you'll have to go check it out.>>

This type of contest isn't my kind of thing, but good luck to anyone
interested.

Wendy

Amy Hughes

May 7, 2002, 2:42:24 PM5/7/02
WLFRISBEE wrote:
> (From Dawn Mosley, FOA director):
> <<...http://www.wordrecords.com/contests/amy_win_trip.html...>>

> This type of contest isn't my kind of thing, but good luck to anyone
> interested.

This is unethical, plain and simple. If I was Amy, and knew about
this, I'd want nothing to do with it.

Doom and Gloomer Denise

May 7, 2002, 4:50:45 PM5/7/02
<< This is unethical, plain and simple. If I was Amy, and knew about
this, I'd want nothing to do with it. >>

I doubt Amy knows about it, I don't think she would either.

Denise

TommyBee

May 7, 2002, 5:27:21 PM5/7/02
dfkgh...@hotmail.com (Amy Hughes) wrote in message news:<9b260684.02050...@posting.google.com>...

I'm afraid I agree with this. I love Amy and her music, and I want
people to know about LEGACY, but I just don't think this kind of bulk
e-mail method is the way to do it.

Besides, if one had a domain and some computer know-how, one could set
up a program / script / macro / what have you that just sends the
message to every possible e-mail address for that domain. The way
most web site providers work, you can set up an e-mail address to
catch mail to any possible username at that domain that isn't set up
separately. Of course, Word would probably be suspicious if I
submitted an address such as asdkj90a8rasdt at tommybee dot com (my
old domain that's probably going to remain up through the end of the
billing cycle even though I gave them an effective cancellation date
of May 1).

I guess we can just hope that Amy will be touring extensively enough
that we can see her through more ethical means.

God Bless,
Tommy
http://www.tommybee.com/
--
Why do people talk about not being able to see the forest for all the
trees? God only made forests so that trees could have some common

Doom and Gloomer Denise

May 7, 2002, 5:51:22 PM5/7/02
<< I'm afraid I agree with this. I love Amy and her music, and I want
people to know about LEGACY, but I just don't think this kind of bulk
e-mail method is the way to do it. >>

I have written to the webmaster as well as a Mr. Krueger at Word about this. I
hope everyone else will write something as well. I'd love to enter a contest
to see Amy but never, never would I send one junk email to anyone to do it. I
already get like 50 spams a day, I don't want more from ANY company. Word
records included (not to mention they are going to use those email addresses
for something. Selling? Just for spamming more info?)

Denise

KCgarg

May 8, 2002, 8:13:24 AM5/8/02
Although I find spam annoying, I'd rather have spam pertaining to fun and
entertainment than pornography. The concept of spamming for Amy, in my
opinion, is to get a list of people that might not otherwise know or be touched
by her music. From that perspective, I can do it. The delete button is just a
keystroke away for those who choose not to read on. And if they do happen to
read, they won't get a caption that says "See 18 year old girls with farm
animals".

Doom and Gloomer Denise

May 8, 2002, 8:54:14 AM5/8/02
<< Although I find spam annoying, I'd rather have spam pertaining to fun and
entertainment than pornography >>

It is all the same to me. Word records wants to create a promotion for Amy
Grant? They will create a lot of ticked off people. If I started getting
emails about Jars of Clay or ANY group or promotion sent to me via a "friend",
said friend would hear about it. I get upwards of 50 spams a day and don't
need well-meaning "friends" sending me more as well as getting me on to a
mailing list I don't want to be on and possibly getting me MORE spam by selling
my information. It is not fun, it is not entertainment, and I really resent
the fact that Word records is doing this.

If Word records wants to advertise, let them buy a spot on television. The
record is aimed at the Christian market anyway and it is splashed all over CCM
magazine and the record stores, and will be played on radio stations. They'll
reach their core market. If too many decide that spamming friends is okay just
to see Amy Grant in concert, this promotion will backfire.

Denise

Arald

May 8, 2002, 9:18:43 AM5/8/02
Hi there,

Neither one simply has the right to do this. This is a way to abuse the
e-mail system and it is also a violation of privacy. There are better
ways to promote the records. Also have you ever thought about the fact
that there may be people who don't want to be touched by her or anybody
elses music? You are free to listen to whatever you want to listen to
and nobody should tell you want to listen to. This contest is over the
edge of what is acceptable and that is why we have send an email to the
record company and the person who send us the e-mail to promote this
contest.

Sincerely

Arald

May 8, 2002, 9:20:09 AM5/8/02
Hi there,

I forgot to tell we already get 20 to 30 unwanted e-mail letters a day
and most are not about porn

Sincerely

Doom and Gloomer Denise

May 8, 2002, 9:37:20 AM5/8/02
<< I forgot to tell we already get 20 to 30 unwanted e-mail letters a day
and most are not about porn >>

Probably 3 out of every 50 spams I get are porn spams - very little. I don't
differentiate those from any other spam - though when I receive spam from a
legitimate source (meaning a company I know of which I never signed up with, or
a band newsletter I never signed up for), I certainly think twice before having
anything to do with the company. Thankfully most email spams I get are NOT in
that vein.

I try to stay away from anything that may end up getting friends on email
lists, including not putting friends personal information in my Yahoo address
book. It is NOT doing friends any favor in spamming them for any reason.

Denise

JenJenMO

May 8, 2002, 10:03:43 AM5/8/02
I agree about the contest. I think it's a really bad way to promote Amy's album
as it is spamming. I think if Word did something where you sign up once, and
then they pull a name out of a box, that would be fine!
I have no problem with Word promoting Amy's album, as I want this album to do
really well, and I know it will, but there are better methods of getting the
word out. Just my $.02

KCgarg

May 16, 2002, 9:23:32 AM5/16/02
Okay- I'll try this again. . . . . .

It's called MASS MARKETING. It happens, it's legal, and it's well known that
only a small percentage (approximately 7%) will actually respond. That is why
it is implemented- it plays on the law of averages.

Again, I'd rather see marketing on stuff that would ENHANCE people's lives than
"junk". Now, what I may deem as junk may be anothers treasure, and vice versa.
However, I believe that most people in hear love Amy's music enough to want to
see her words ring in many hearts.

Think about it, if only atheists (and I really don't believe anyone is a true
atheist- for another time) sent out mass marketing, the world would be in BIG
trouble. They could get that small percentage that sit in the home with
nothing to do that are just waiting for someone to pay attention to them. That
would be bad.

I see nothing wrong with using our voices to the betterment of society. Again,
it's called a "delete" button for those who choose to ignore.

lifesabirch

May 16, 2002, 5:41:10 PM5/16/02
kcg...@aol.com (KCgarg) wrote in message news:<20020516092332...@mb-cm.aol.com>...

You say atheists like it's a bad word ;) How about substituting
serial killer. More people can relate to that as being bad. Oh, I'm
going to be mean here and I know I'm going to regret it... wait - the
2 biggest writers of the Bible, Moses and Paul seemed to be ok with
killing. Numbers 31, and Paul in his former life as Saul, who it was
never recorded that he was brought to court and tried for the things
he did and oversaw. hmm. Don't get me wrong, I think there are some
great things written in the Bible. And am a spiritual humanist who
believes in God. Don't want to debate...

I agree with you about the contest. There is a delete button. It would
be different if people were spammed over and over by the same people
or company. But Word has modified their contest. And it is legal. On
the other hand, I think it's odd to kinda use fans to spread the word
by using a prize. Then again, seems like fundamental Christians do the
same. Sorry. hehe *slap me*

Arald

May 16, 2002, 6:02:41 PM5/16/02
Hi there,

I don't think it matters if it's stuff that would encahnce people's
lives or just junk. Some people see the first as junk as well but that
is a different story and doesn't matter for this discussion. It just
isn't right to spam and it doesn't matter what you spam

I will write more letters tomorrow. Now it's time to get some sleep.
Yes, we go to bed when you guys get up. Are we European the strange ones
or are the Americans nuts? ha!

Sincerely Hope who hopes she will sleep well

Who Me

May 16, 2002, 6:58:01 PM5/16/02
>It's called MASS MARKETING. It happens, it's legal, and it's well known that
>only a small percentage (approximately 7%) will actually respond.

What state are you a lawyer in?? SPAM is **NOT** legal!!

Bill

"Television is not the truth. Television is a goddamn amusement park"
-- Howard Beale
"A lot of people in this business think I'm a smart-ass."
--David Letterman, 2/28/01
"I don't have any regrets, they can talk about me plenty when I'm gone.

Doom and Gloomer Denise

May 17, 2002, 9:20:27 AM5/17/02
<< It's called MASS MARKETING. It happens, it's legal, and it's well known
that
only a small percentage (approximately 7%) will actually respond. >>

It is NOT mass marketing. If it weren't spam, so many wouldn't have been upset
at it and Wired would never have run a story. I already get 50 or so "mass
marketing pieces" a day and it is too much. Companies that should be above
this need to learn that. I don't care if it is about Jesus, Mother Theresa,
great coupon deals, whatever. If I didn't ask for it, I don't want it in my
email box. And if it is there, then I have worse feelings toward said product
than I would have had otherwise.

Denise