Ya garat el wadi - the text anyone?

Borre Ludvigsen

Mar 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/8/97

While in Beirut last week I had one of those rare and unexpected thrills
that are as pleasant as they are surprising. After a sumptuous meal at a
Ramadan tent still standing near the old UNESCO building we went back to
the hotel and some channel surfing before going to sleep. First Magida el
Roumi, the Wadi el Safi and finally the gem! I had seen a short excerpt
before but this was the complete video recording from TeleLiban in the
late 60's of Nour el Houdda singing Abd el Wahab and Mhammad Shouki's

"Ya garat al wadi"

And what a performance! Believe me there is no intoxicant in the Levant
or elsewhere that can measure up to the shear submision to pleasure such
performances give. The audience had a really hard time restraining
themselves between torrents of applause and allow her to sing. Needless
to say, much of the next day was spent searching for a recording. And I
finally did find a pirate recording in that little shop on Abdul Aziz. I
was awful too, but any quality will do just to hear her. A thorough
search of music shops in Cairo turned up nothing. So, if anyone has an
old vinyl recording, please.... But even more important, does anyone have
the text? If you do, please fax it to me (+47 69 21 53 02) and I'll
transliterate, post it on the Al mashriq site along with a picture and an
RA copy of the song.

- Barre

Borre Ludvigsen - http://www.hiof.no/~borrel
finger: bor...@abdallah.hiof.no

Al Aab - CNED/W94

Mar 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/10/97

of all those who tried to immitate mohamed abdel wahab
be s/he
fairuz, abdel halim hafiz, mohamed qandeel
only mohamed qndeel came close to mohamed abdel wahab
alas
all mohamed qandeel ventured was some brief liali.

all the rest proved one thing:
mohamed abdelwahab was inimite.

many came very close to om kelthoom.
in the 1940's i listened to a syrian singer cloning om kelthoom
i could not tell the difference
(i could not tell the diff bet mohamed abdel mutalib & his clone,
young mohamed el @izebi, but that is either another story,
or goes to prove that only one singer is inimite, mohamed abdel wahab)

as for noor el hoda
she and sabah, together
were imported from lebanon
by
the great womanizer/actor/ass-kicker
youcef bey (before his behewiyya) wahbi.

noor el hoda starred in a film by yousif wahbi
her hit took egypt by storm
ya automobile !
ya gemeel !
maHlaaaaaaaaaaaak !

min wera SaHbek (youcif wahbi)
ena
rakbaaaaaaaaaaaaak!

rooH el geezeh
wi
rooH Hilwan;

wiTle@ biyya
el el@a (hiyya lissa ma libsitsh ?!)
keman

weqef .
@endek .
Hacib !
heddeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ...

wadi ogritek
irsh
miSeddee

Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer
Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer !
ya
automobile.

i wonder who the composer was.

--
noor had a lesser hit.
an islamic song (noor was probably not a muslim, but hey! biz = biz)

--
noor did not go for gold, sabah did.
sabah spent a lot on her clothes

noor soon went back to lebanon.

sabah kept shuttling back and forth bet egypt & lebanon
smuggling arab/egyptian song/acting/whoring money as diamonds in her
hair do.

sabah mus have made hundreds of times more furtune/fame the noor

sabah had the far inferiour voice/virtue.

is there a moral/e

--

as for the lyrics of ya jaret el wadi
i once found them in one of the 4 volumes of shoQiyyat (ahmad bey showqi

jaret el wadi was a nickname of a lebanese town, zihla ?
it is neer a valley (el biqa@?)

zihla was/is apparently a tourist attraction
ahmed bey showqi was an aristocrat/courtesan
he could afford not only the luxury of travel
but also of accompanying the budding singer, mohamed abdel wahab.

mohamed abdel wahab sang mory qesseedas than any singer of this century.
many of those qeceedas were penned by his philanthropist,
ahmad bey showqi.

i never paid much attention to om kelthoom
till she sang a series of qesseedas, showqiyyat, 2 b precise.

el meemiyyah
among 3 pro-mohamed, the prophet of islm

and the nile

om kelthoom sang a qesseedah, sort of a nationalistic hymn, called aptly,
mesr
penned by the lesser poet, contemporary of showqi
hafiz bey (bey second class) ibrahim

while showqi was both egyptian and anti-egyptian pro-british
anti-orabi then anti-british

hafiz bey (bey second-class) ibrahim
was a true nationlist
hence
his black listing
every employer (even the lebanese/egyptian paper: el ahram)
were afraid of the british,
too afraid to hire
hafiz bey (bey secon class) ibrahim.

showqi used to entertain his less fortunate hafiz. take him out
and pay the bill.

once some one was sooo disgusted of hafiz' old suit:
q- why don't u buy a new suit of clothes (bedlah) ?!!
a- why should i. this bedlah has 2 attributes of allah
q- what attributes :
a- unique, old

is there a moral/e there ?

-
ya jaret el wadi !
Teribto wa @adeni:
ma yoshbihl el ..
min zikraki

weleQed mererto ...
@eled diyar

bi ..
konto Hialeha el Qaki

--
that shoud do for now
till i emorro @ela

then i will re-copy

ya jaret el wadi
Teribto
wa @adeni

ma yoshbihol eHlam
min zikraki

ta ra ra ...

Unknown

Mar 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/12/97

aa...@acs.ryerson.ca (Al Aab - CNED/W94) wrote:
----- irrelevant news snipped for conservation

>as for the lyrics of ya jaret el wadi
>i once found them in one of the 4 volumes of shoQiyyat (ahmad bey showqi
>diwan)

>jaret el wadi was a nickname of a lebanese town, zihla ?

the town is Zahleh

>it is neer a valley (el biqa@?)

>-
ya jarat al wadi taribtu wo 3adalee ma yusbihu-l a7lam min thikraaki

>ya jaret el wadi !
>Teribto wa @adeni:
>ma yoshbihl el ..
>min zikraki

math-thaltou fiv-thikra hawakee wa fil kara wa thikrayat lada-s-sineen
alhaki

walaquad marartou alal riyadh birabwaten gharra'a kuntu hayalaha alaquaki

>weleQed mererto ...
>@eled diyar
>bi ..
>konto Hialeha el Qaki

lam adri ma teeb-ul 3inaki 3alal hawa hatta taraffaqua sa3idi wa tawaki

wa ta3at-talat lughatul kalam wa khatabat aynaya fee loughatil hawa ainaki

la anti min omr il zamanee wa la ghadoun jumia al zamanu fa kan yoma
likuaki

there may be more verses that i cannot remember just now

Dolphin

bas...@crl.aecl.ca

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

aa...@acs.ryerson.ca (Al Aab - CNED/W94) wrote:

>as for the lyrics of ya jaret el wadi
>i once found them in one of the 4 volumes of shoQiyyat (ahmad bey
>showqi diwan)

aaab;
Here is the transliteration. You provide us with a good translation - as
your usual style.

1- ya jarata el-wadi Taribto wa @adani
ma yoshbeho el-aHlama min zekraki
2- mathalto fil zekra hawaki, wafi el-kara
wal zekrayatoo Sada el-seenena el-Haki
3- wala Qad mararto @ala el-reyaDi bi rabwaten
ghana-aten, konto Heyalah alQaki
4- DaHekat elayya, wojohoha, wa @oyoonoha