Fairuz music

Fahad A Hoymany

Mar 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/1/97

Fairuz fans, come out of your hiding. Does anyone know which of Fairuz'
most popular songs were based on well-known world pieces. For example, Ya
ana, ya ana, is Mozart's Symphonie #40, and Habaitak Bissaif is taken from
a French song.

Also, does anyone know if the Rahbanis compose or just arrange music?
What about Halalaya, Akher ayam essaifiye (last days of summer), Rij'it
al-shatweeih (return of winter), Shayf el bahar (as big as the sea), and
most importantly Nihna wil Amar Jiran, etc?

Thanks for any additional information.
Fahad

ZAHR

Mar 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/1/97

In <5f7vbs$s...@usenet.srv.cis.pitt.edu> fa...@cs.pitt.edu (Fahad A
Hoymany) writes:

In my opinion, the Rahabani's are mostly thieves since they hardly
wrote anything original : they mainly stole and re-arranged music.
They were in the business and were musically informed one might say.
What bothers me is that never have they aknowledged others in their
credits, it was always " AlHan AlRahabani this or that" .

The new guy though, Ziad saved them since much, if not all, of his work
seems original ( even when you take his forms of Jazz into account).
Theirs and the current monopoly of Simon Asmar on musical art in
Lebanon is driving the quality into new lows.

KDZ

philo von mtein

Mar 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/1/97

In article <5f7vbs$s...@usenet.srv.cis.pitt.edu>,

Fahad A Hoymany <fa...@cs.pitt.edu> wrote:

> Fairuz fans, come out of your hiding. Does anyone know which of Fairuz'
>most popular songs were based on well-known world pieces. For example, Ya
>ana, ya ana, is Mozart's Symphonie #40, and Habaitak Bissaif is taken from
>a French song.

You're right that "ya ana, ya ana" is taken from Mozart. However,
"coupable" was taken from "habbaytak," and not the other way around. The
Rahbanis have "stole" many other tunes from foreign sources,
including Concerto de Aranjuez (Rodrigo) which became li-bayrut, Flight
of the bumblebee (Rachmaninoff ?) which became a Fayruz song,
a passage from Beethoven's pathetique sonata, which became the theme of
a@tini n-naya wa ghanni, etc...

> Also, does anyone know if the Rahbanis compose or just arrange music?

On the other hand! The Rahbanis did compose a large amount of very
original music, like the beautiful songs yara, saa'ilini ya
shamu, "ya mhayrit l-@alali," which by the way has been
re-worked by many composers. Most of the songs you have listed
were written by the Rahbanis as far as I know.

As you can see, the Rahbanis have crossed many boundaries in their
music. Assi was the real composer of the two; Mansour was more the
lyricist. They had many significant contributions to Arabic music in the
second half of the 20th century; of those, I note the ones that come
immediately to my mind:

1- They were the first to seriously challenge the Egyptian Tarab model,
where a song would evolve over several hours, taking instead a more
folkloric approach to music, and making short songs.

2- They are the ones who gave Fayruz her voice... whereas many composers
wrote for her (ranging from Abd-El Wahab to Zaki Nassif), the Rahbanis
were the ones who were most closely associated with her, using her as
their muse, and creating a wide repertoire for her. One of Fayruz's
strongest assets is her ability to make us cry (just like in the case of
Egyptian Tarab), but also to make us laugh.

3- They introduced the notion of accompaniment and orchestration into
Arabic music. Nowadays the arabic orchestra is not all that different in
structure from the western one (with of course the addition of the
arabic instruments), but it is used in a different way, to produce a
distinct sound.

Their accomplishements notwidstanding, the Rahbanis fell short
in a few areas; they did use foreign tunes without properly
acknowledging their sources. They didn't go all the way (in my opinion)
in their orchestrations. They didn't adopt other singers, especially
from the next generation, maybe in order to preserve Fayruz's status...

Along with other composeres such as Zaki Nassif, Philimon Wehbe and
others, the Rahbanis made new arabic music, and particularly, created
a certaing "Lebanese music" current which had far reaching impact in
Arab countries, but possibly even beyond. Their echo can still be heard
in Marcel Khalife, in Ziad Rahbani (obviously, no?), and even in the pop
music that is being produced around the arab world.

>Fahad

-philo.
--
L'Autre: Je donne ma folie. (il la drape d'une etole rouge). Oui son
eclat te va. Regarde bien Victoire, tu me ressembles un peu... non, ne

Fahad A Hoymany

Mar 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/2/97

philo von mtein (ph...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu) wrote:
: You're right that "ya ana, ya ana" is taken from Mozart. However,

: "coupable" was taken from "habbaytak," and not the other way around. The

Philo, according to the book on Fairuz, "Fairouz; Legend and Legacy,":

Lyrics: Rahbani Brothers
Music adapted by Rahbani Brothers
from the French song, 'Coupable
d'oublier'.

: Rahbanis have "stole" many other tunes from foreign sources,

: including Concerto de Aranjuez (Rodrigo) which became li-bayrut, Flight
: of the bumblebee (Rachmaninoff ?) which became a Fayruz song,
: a passage from Beethoven's pathetique sonata, which became the theme of
: a@tini n-naya wa ghanni, etc...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This one tops my list as one of the best of Fairuz, lyrics by Gibran
Khalil and music by Najib Hankash, apparently not the Rahbanis.

Finally, I do agree with what you had to say about the Rahbanis'
contribution to Arabic music. I just wish I could know for sure which of
Fairuz songs they actually wrote alone. I believe "kifak inta" is a song
composed by Ziad -- a well-done piece of music.

Fahad

philo von mtein

Mar 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/2/97

In article <5fb2nk$g...@usenet.srv.cis.pitt.edu>,

Fahad A Hoymany <fa...@cs.pitt.edu> wrote:
>philo von mtein (ph...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu) wrote:
>: You're right that "ya ana, ya ana" is taken from Mozart. However,
>: "coupable" was taken from "habbaytak," and not the other way around. The
>
> Philo, according to the book on Fairuz, "Fairouz; Legend and Legacy,":
>
> Lyrics: Rahbani Brothers
> Music adapted by Rahbani Brothers
> from the French song, 'Coupable
> d'oublier'.

You must be right.

>: Rahbanis have "stole" many other tunes from foreign sources,
>: including Concerto de Aranjuez (Rodrigo) which became li-bayrut, Flight
>: of the bumblebee (Rachmaninoff ?) which became a Fayruz song,
>: a passage from Beethoven's pathetique sonata, which became the theme of
>: a@tini n-naya wa ghanni, etc...
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> This one tops my list as one of the best of Fairuz, lyrics by Gibran
>Khalil and music by Najib Hankash, apparently not the Rahbanis.

You must be right here as well. However, the theme, regardless of who
adapted it, was written by Beethoven :+)

> Finally, I do agree with what you had to say about the Rahbanis'
>contribution to Arabic music. I just wish I could know for sure which of
>Fairuz songs they actually wrote alone. I believe "kifak inta" is a song
>composed by Ziad -- a well-done piece of music.

Yes, Kifak Enta was written by Ziad. Ziad acknowledges his sources on
his recordings, and it is always noted when he uses a pre-existing
composition. It may be that the problem is simply that everyone always
copied Fairuz songs, and few people bothered to buy the originals, which
is why people simply attribute the compositions to the Rahbanis and not
to the original composers...

bas...@crl.aecl.ca

Mar 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/3/97

Aha .. Fairuz
And what do you know about Fairuz (waa ma adrak ma Fairuz)
Such a beautiful and angelic voice.

When she came .. like a gentle fresh breeze . into the music scene in
the mid fifties, the Arabic music seemed to have stagnated already.
Sure, om-kalthoum and Abdel-Wahab were still there, but they were
perceived as old for the old generation only. And Leila Mourad (one
of my favorites on the light side) was waning - not because of her
religion, but rather because she couldnEXTRACT t keep or find quality composer
like Abdel-Wahab, QaSabji and sunbatti who wrote most of her earlier
work. There were other upstarts like Shadia, Faiza Ahmad , Abdel-
Haleem Hafiz, etc..They had excelled in one area or another. But let us
face it.. None of them can be said to have it all ..

Except for Fairuz (with only one minor exception
.later).
She can sing classical (qassida) and zagal (country)..
She can sing mowashaHat (Andulsiat) and contemporary (pop)..
She can sing solo and operetta..
She can sing in many local accents, Lebanese, Egyptian, etc..

1-Yaa Quds (Jerusalem) madinat el-madaaen always moved me deeply.

2- I loved her rendition of my all-time favorite composer Sayed
3- Darweesh:
zooroni kul sanna marrah .. Haram
Tel@et yaa maHal noorha.. shams el-shamossa
el-deek be yeden koo-koo @al SobHeya..

3- And I can think of Abdel-Wahab reliving his youth when she sang:
yaa garata el-wadi Tarebtoo..
khayeef aQool il fi Qalbi..

or singing his new work (just for her)
ba aktob ismak yaa Habibi @al raml el-Tareq
shaT iskanderia .. yaa shaT el-hawa
etc..

4- She brought the art of mowashaHat back to life. She transforms me
a 100 year back when she sings:
yaa shadi el-alHaan .. ahe waa Atrebina.
Waa Atreb (?) man fi el-Hani .. yaa lalli..

5- As for borrowing from Mozart No. 40, I am glad that you Fahad had
brought it up. I remember when I first heard it with some of my Lebanese
friends on a new year eve (or some other celebration), they accused me
of being non patriotic once I mentioned Mozart. Even though this is
a common practice in the west as long as due recognition (and copy right)
are paid. For example , variation for Brahms on Handle, Franz Liczt on
Peganani (or the other way around) , etc.. We are used to this art of
imitating other people work in poetry. It is called (mo@araDa). Most
famous is Ahmad Shawki himself:
nahg el-borda (song by om-kalthoom)
moDnaka gaffaho waa marQadho (song by Abdel-Wahab)

We Arabs expect our loved artists to be beyond perfect in every and each
way. We tend to forget what Fairuz sings in one of her mowashahat
(wal @eSmeto laa takoono illa le nabi = perfection is only for prophets)

Now.. what was my only reservation.. well.. she is not a good actress ..
but no body is perfect .. as I just said.

Saleh

au...@cam.org

Mar 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/5/97

>The new guy though, Ziad saved them since much, if not all, of his work
>seems original ( even when you take his forms of Jazz into account).

Any CDs available of this Jazz?

Alain
Utilisez au...@cam.org au lieu du champ "reply-to"
Use au...@cam.org instead of the "reply-to" field

philo von mtein

Mar 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/5/97

In article <5fk8i7$k...@tandem.CAM.ORG>, <au...@void.org> wrote:
>In <5f8kcd$o...@sjx-ixn8.ix.netcom.com>, kz...@ix.netcom.com(ZAHR) writes:

[...]

>Any CDs available of this Jazz?

Yes, try "ma@rifti fik". It's an album that came out a while ago (maybe
the mid-80's?), that contains several Jazz tracks. "@oudak rannan" is
also on that album, a song that is highly under-rated!

Fahad A Hoymany

Mar 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/6/97

bas...@crl.aecl.ca wrote:

: 3- And I can think of Abdel-Wahab reliving his youth when she sang:

: yaa garata el-wadi Tarebtoo..
: khayeef aQool il fi Qalbi..

: or singing his new work (just for her)
: ba aktob ismak yaa Habibi @al raml el-Tareq
: shaT iskanderia .. yaa shaT el-hawa
: etc..

Saleh, to me knowledge ba aktob ismak ya habibi is a Rahbani's song --
just for the record. Unless, of course, you are saying they "stole" it
from Abdulwahab :-)

Biktub ismak ya habibi @al hour el ateeq
we tiktub ismi ya habibi @araml el tariq

Bukra bit shatti el diney @al issas lim jaraha
we yibga ismak ya habibi, we ismi be yimahaa

Fahad

qaq...@bios.unc.edu

Mar 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/6/97

In <5fas5b$s...@piglet.cc.utexas.edu>, ph...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (philo von mtein) writes:

> Flight of the bumblebee (Rachmaninoff ?)

DeFalla, the Spanish composer.

bq

Foraat

Mar 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/8/97

In article , ph...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu says...

>2- They are the ones who gave Fayruz her voice... whereas many composers
>wrote for her (ranging from Abd-El Wahab to Zaki Nassif), the Rahbanis
>were the ones who were most closely associated with her, using her as
>their muse, and creating a wide repertoire for her. One of Fayruz's
>strongest assets is her ability to make us cry (just like in the case of
>Egyptian Tarab), but also to make us laugh.

Ahhh..Fayrouz..Safeerat el 3arab ila el nojoom..

Yesterday I was watching a vedio of her last concert in London . Fayrouz is
over 60..but Fayrouz is still Fayrouz..she had notes near her so she can look
at them every few minutes..she forgot the lyrics to Nassam 3alayna el hawa
(of all songs)..she was slow..but still..she can still be moving..and angelic..
I am not Lebanese, but when she sang about Lebanon, I had tears in my eyes
just as did thousands of people of all arab nationalities in the hall..
I smiled with her light songs..and kept repeating her songs the whole day..
anytime I want to remember home I listen to some of her great songs about
Damascus (Sa'eelini ya Sha'am, Qara'to majdaki fi qulbi, Shamo ya tha al
sayfo, ya Shamo 3ada al SSayfo)..anytime any of you plan to have a nice morning you should play one her songs first thing in the morning :)

This summer fayrouz will be in Tunisia..so for those who are going there this summer..I envy you :).I had one chance to see her live in an amphetheatre
an hour from Damacus in 1985..but I couldn't get in :( there were 20,000
people inside..and twice as much outside.. I just hope i can get one last chance..

Azim (listening to ba3dak 3ala bali)

P.S fayrouz has just recorded four new qaseedas written by Qays ebin
el Mollawa7 (Majnoun Layla) and Jameel Bothayna..and I think Antara..
the qaseedas were composed by a the Syrian composer MHammad Hossain..
this is the second time Fayrouz has worked with him, he composed one of her best MwashaaH before, Sayyedo el Hawa Qamari...I am not sure when will the
album come out....salamat.

Waleed

Mar 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/9/97

Foraat wrote:

> Yesterday I was watching a vedio of her last concert in London .

Azim ... from where did you get the video?

Leonina

Mar 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/10/97

Does anybody know the name of the Cheb Mami song that is played in the
movie Thieves/Les Voleurs? You hear it twice: once in the scene where
one of the thieves is driving the Catherine Deneuve character home, and
again at the fair during the bumper cars scene.

I would love to get the CD but the credits went by too fast and all I got
was that it was Cheb Mami. The last album I got by him was Saida but
that's a couple of years old and the song's not on it. Can anybody tell
me the name of the CD as well?

Thanks!

-Adriana
Leo...@aol.com

Volker Hubert-Koester

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97

Foraat wrote:

>This summer fayrouz will be in Tunisia..so for those who are going there this summer..I envy you :).

Any detailed information???????

V.

--
Volker Hubert-Koester _____ ___
Institut fuer Arabistik \ / ENCORE UNE NUIT PERDUE / \ ___/

Foraat

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97

In article , "Volker says...

>Foraat wrote:
>
>>This summer fayrouz will be in Tunisia..so for those who are going there this summer..I envy you :).
>
>Any detailed information???????
>
>V.

The only detail I have is the she will be participating in Corthag festival,
which usualy takes place in august of every year...

Azim

Foraat

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97

In article , Waleed says...

>Foraat wrote:
>>
>> Yesterday I was watching a vedio of her last concert in London .
>
>Azim ... from where did you get the video?

It was sent to me from back home, but it should be available in arabic video
stores.

It is called Fayrouz in London

Azim