What's the best Ambient/Nature CD to fall asleep to?

vent...@quoth.sat.org

Mar 28, 2002, 7:19:00 PM3/28/02
Yeah, you may not like the topic, but I need some suggestions...
Granted, it's not the primary intention of ambient artists to put one
to sleep, but....

My favourite ambient/newage/nature albums to fall asleep to are:

1. Eno / Music for airports
2. Eno/Budd "Plateaux Of Mirror"
3. Eno/Budd "The Pearl"
4. Aphex Twin - SAW II, either disc...
5. Dino - All Creation Sings (Nature Series)

As you can see, I like em nice and mellow... N0 mind intrusive
banging, or inter-song loud clammerings/horns to wake/scare one out of
a pleasant idea/dream.. There's something about Harold Budd's work
that carries precisely the kind of mellow/spacey vibe that I'm
into....

Any other suggestions???

Peace,

Ventolin

Todd Warnke

Mar 28, 2002, 9:46:53 PM3/28/02
Mark Isham - Tibet

neofob

Mar 29, 2002, 5:18:50 AM3/29/02
<vent...@quoth.sat.org> skrev i meddelandet news:3ca3aeb2.203075801@news...

> My favourite ambient/newage/nature albums to fall asleep to are:
>
> 1. Eno / Music for airports
> 2. Eno/Budd "Plateaux Of Mirror"
> 3. Eno/Budd "The Pearl"
> 4. Aphex Twin - SAW II, either disc...
> 5. Dino - All Creation Sings (Nature Series)

<snip>

> Any other suggestions???

These might work:
Aloof Proof - "Piano Text"
KLF - "Chill Out"
Woob - "1194"
Art of Noise - "The Ambient Collection"

--
neofob

Versuz

Mar 29, 2002, 6:04:10 AM3/29/02
<vent...@quoth.sat.org> wrote in message news:3ca3aeb2.203075801@news...
> Yeah, you may not like the topic, but I need some suggestions...

Vangelis, the Blade Runner soundtrack. You might want to program your CD
though... The end titles track might wake you up again. :)
Another good CD to fall asleep to is Collection 1: Opening, from Databloem.
Both are listed here (what a coincidence):
http://www.groove.nl/catalog_v_eu.html .

bob nerkul

Mar 29, 2002, 4:10:44 PM3/29/02
On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 00:19:00 GMT, vent...@quoth.sat.org
(vent...@quoth.sat.org) wrote:

>Yeah, you may not like the topic, but I need some suggestions...
>Granted, it's not the primary intention of ambient artists to put one
>to sleep, but....

Raymond Scott -- Soothing Sounds for Baby.

Rob

Mar 30, 2002, 2:55:19 AM3/30/02
vent...@quoth.sat.org (vent...@quoth.sat.org) wrote in message news:<3ca3aeb2.203075801@news>...

Tired Sounds of Stars of the Lid always helps to knock me out when I
want to sleep. Plus, it's 2 CDs worth of material!

Rob

vent...@quoth.sat.org

Apr 1, 2002, 12:12:12 AM4/1/02
On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 10:18:50 GMT, "neofob" <sir...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>These might work:
>Aloof Proof - "Piano Text"
>KLF - "Chill Out"
>Woob - "1194"
>Art of Noise - "The Ambient Collection"
>
>--
>neofob

Thanks for the info.... I checked into a sound sample of "Aloof Proof"
and I'm hooked... I was wondering if you have any idea as to where I
might purchase that 'piano text' album? I can't find it anywhere....

And thanks to everyone else for all the other great suggestions,
they're very much appreciated...

Ventolin

Scott McGregor Moore

Apr 1, 2002, 12:27:46 AM4/1/02
The top layer of my sleep pile this week has been:

Vir Unis - The Drift Inside
Stephen Philips - Desert Landscapes
Brannan Lane - Sleep Cycle

All are highly recommended as sleep music.

Cheers,
Scott M2

http://www.dreamSTATE.to
ambientelectronicsoundscapes
http://www.THEAMBiENTPiNG.com

Zaum

Apr 1, 2002, 2:30:49 AM4/1/02
Global Communication - 76:14 (This has some soft beats though,
sometimes in the sound of a clock or just a normal beat)

Zaum.

neofob

Apr 1, 2002, 6:29:09 AM4/1/02
<vent...@quoth.sat.org> wrote:
> I was wondering if you have any idea as to where I
> might purchase that 'piano text' album? I can't find it anywhere....

No, I'm sorry I don't, but I'm constantly looking for
a "Piano Text pt 2" that is supposed to exist somewhere
so if I run into one or both of them I will yell.
--
neofob

Zaum

Apr 2, 2002, 1:18:05 AM4/2/02
"Scott McGregor Moore" <sc...@dreamSTATE.to> wrote in message news:<dbSp8.829$3z6.4...@news20.bellglobal.com>...

> The top layer of my sleep pile this week has been:
>
> Vir Unis - The Drift Inside
> Stephen Philips - Desert Landscapes
> Brannan Lane - Sleep Cycle

>These might work:
>Aloof Proof - "Piano Text"
>KLF - "Chill Out"
>Woob - "1194"
>Art of Noise - "The Ambient Collection"
>
>--
>neofob

I found some Woob songs, and really liked, but where do I find and
perhaps purchase Woob, Brannan Lane, Stephen Philips & Vir Unis ?
Where can I hear some of Lane, Philips and Vir Unis first ?

Cheers,
Zaum.

vent...@quoth.sat.org

Apr 2, 2002, 9:34:13 PM4/2/02
On 1 Apr 2002 22:18:05 -0800, za...@my-deja.com (Zaum) wrote:
>I found some Woob songs, and really liked, but where do I find and
>perhaps purchase Woob, Brannan Lane, Stephen Philips & Vir Unis ?
>Where can I hear some of Lane, Philips and Vir Unis first ?

I was scrambling/asking the search engines the same question....
Luckily, I've found our answer for both Brannan Lane and Stephen
Philips.. Cheap prices too!

http://www.darkduck.net/orderfo2.htm

As for Woob and Vir Unis, I don't know, I usually check
www.audiogalaxy.com, then buy...

Peace,

Ventolin

Scott McGregor Moore

Apr 4, 2002, 12:47:00 AM4/4/02

Yes - Dark Duck is a good source.

For Vir Unis try: http://www.zeromusic.net/atmoworks/
under "Etherial". There's some mp3s from "Drift Inside"
on his mp3.com page http://www.mp3.com/virunis

I *think* most Woob CDs are out of print
though Instinct had apparently re-released some.
http://www.emit.cc/album.jsp?albumID=emit1194

EER-MUSIC.com

Apr 4, 2002, 11:12:04 AM4/4/02
vent...@quoth.sat.org (vent...@quoth.sat.org) wrote in message news:<3ca3aeb2.203075801@news>...
> Yeah, you may not like the topic, but I need some suggestions...
> Granted, it's not the primary intention of ambient artists to put one
> to sleep, but....
>
> Any other suggestions???

Hey Ventolin,

With the ton of great ambience that comes my way, I can vouch for
several releases that will zone you out and drop you on the Hypnos
boat to Lethe land.
(All you ambient artists I don't mention, forgive my olde brain)
Here goes:

James Johnson's SURRENDER, (trak 2 might jiggle some neurons so adjust
volume)
James Johnson's UNITY
James Johnson's ENTERING TWILIGHT (very Steve Halpern-ish tones and
assorted drones)
Steve Roach's QUIET MUSIC COMPLETE (disc one)
Steve Roach's STRUCTURES FROM SILENCE
Ashera's WE GAIA, (I nearly fell asleep in the car one morning
listening at 60mph!)
Liquid Mind aka Chuck Wild's releases 1994-2001
Diatonis' LANDSCAPE OF A DREAM
Darshan Ambient's AUTUMN LIGHT, THE END OF DAYS, and recent works,
(melodic ambience, minimalism)

. . . and for romantic tone poems of classical bliss, based on
Nature, seek out the works of Frederich Delius, splendid material when
played at reduced volume levels will serve to soothe. Back in 1979-81
I fell asleep to Delius' NORTH COUNTRY SKETCHES and SONG OF SUMMER
nearly every night unless I passed out first from pure hedonism (^%

I will stop here and let other rma folk fill in the blanks.
Ciao! Happy trips to Nodville . . .

John W. Patterson
http://www.EER-MUSIC/Ambient.html

Bill Binkelman

Apr 4, 2002, 11:26:33 AM4/4/02
vent...@quoth.sat.org (vent...@quoth.sat.org) wrote in message news:<3ca3aeb2.203075801@news>...

The two best CDs that combine an ambient music with subtle nature
sounds are

(rainstorm in the city sounds) Paul Vnuk's SILENCE SPEAKS IN SHADOW
(on Hypnos)

(rainstorm in the woods/at a lake sounds) James Johnson's and Stephen
Philips's LOST AT DUNN'S LAKE (on Zero Music)

Set either of these on infinite repeat and they are wonderful to sleep
to, especially (if you're an urbanite like me) Vnuk's album.

Without nature sounds, I prefer softer music like

Stephen Philips's DESERT LANDSCAPES (maybe my favorite of all time for
sleeping to)

James Johnson's ENTERING TWILIGHT

Darshan Ambient's DARSHAN AMBIENT (an undiscovered gem, IMO)
Ashera's COBALT 144 (ditto)
Brannan Lane's SLEEP CYCLE
Brian Eno's THURSDAY AFTERNOON

I am having a harder time lately falling asleep to music that is dark
in nature, even if it's quiet and non-rhythmic. I know a lot of people
can sleep while listening to albums like STALKER, but not me. The CDs
above are all "positive" music, without (IMO) being sappy or sugary.

I also use some more "new agey" music sometimes, when I'm ill or
whatever, to lull me to sleep when I'm having a hard time. Simon
Williams' GENTLE RAINSTORM integrates piano and synths with falling
rain in a nice vein. Coyote Oldman's FLOATING ON EVENING is wonderful,
blending echoed/processed flutes with minimal piano/guitar. The
minimal solo piano of artist's like Ernesto Diaz-Infante (UCROSS
JOURNAL) and Carl Witt (QUIET MIND) also are very relaxing but since
they are not overly melodic, they don't distract you with refrains.

The above are some of my favorites.

Bill B

Wind and Wire
http://www.windandwire.com

Brian W. Antoine

Apr 4, 2002, 7:16:34 PM4/4/02
(vent...@quoth.sat.org) wrote:

>Yeah, you may not like the topic, but I need some suggestions...
>Granted, it's not the primary intention of ambient artists to put one
>to sleep, but....

Robert Rich "Somnium"

It's a 7 hour playing DVD that you're supposed to sleep to. :)
--
(UniKyrn on IM, ICQ#27068798)
Brian W. Antoine briana @ ipeg|dogear|circuit .com

ambience

Apr 5, 2002, 5:38:52 AM4/5/02
Consider Vir Unis 'The Drift Inside' and IXOHOXI's 'Continuum'

I beleieve there are some sample tracks from both at:
www.mp3.com/virunis
www.mp3.com/ixohoxi

Zaum

Apr 8, 2002, 1:33:48 PM4/8/02

> With the ton of great ambience that comes my way, I can vouch for
> several releases that will zone you out and drop you on the Hypnos
> boat to Lethe land.
> (All you ambient artists I don't mention, forgive my olde brain)
> Here goes:
>
> James Johnson's SURRENDER, (trak 2 might jiggle some neurons so adjust
> volume)
> James Johnson's UNITY
> James Johnson's ENTERING TWILIGHT (very Steve Halpern-ish tones and
> assorted drones)
> Steve Roach's QUIET MUSIC COMPLETE (disc one)
> Steve Roach's STRUCTURES FROM SILENCE
> Ashera's WE GAIA, (I nearly fell asleep in the car one morning
> listening at 60mph!)
> Liquid Mind aka Chuck Wild's releases 1994-2001
> Diatonis' LANDSCAPE OF A DREAM
> Darshan Ambient's AUTUMN LIGHT, THE END OF DAYS, and recent works,
> (melodic ambience, minimalism)
>
> . . . and for romantic tone poems of classical bliss, based on
> Nature, seek out the works of Frederich Delius, splendid material when
> played at reduced volume levels will serve to soothe. Back in 1979-81
> I fell asleep to Delius' NORTH COUNTRY SKETCHES and SONG OF SUMMER
> nearly every night unless I passed out first from pure hedonism (^%

Ahh, thanks for all the extra research I have to do into these
CDs/Artists, I've enjoyed most everyone else's recommendations on this
topic.
(Thought I'd post to keep this message at the top, to hopefully get
even more feedback)
I'm starting to worry now that my music research/study is taking over
my University studies.

Zaum.

mflo...@plex.nl

Apr 17, 2002, 6:06:09 PM4/17/02
Hi,

I have posted this review of my album before so appologies for those that
have read it, but thought it appropriate:

Local label puts ambient music back on the map.
Published 19th May 2001

Sometimes words are not enough to do justice to music. This astonishing CD
is the fruit of an international partnership between Midlands label H/S
Recordings and Dutch ambient artist Matthew Florianz.

Ambient's had a bit of a rough ride since its heyday at the turn of the
1990s when it was seen as a panacea for clubbed to death space cadets.

The days of marrying astronaut samples with dub beats are long gone, thank
goodness.

Florianz makes truly immersive sound art which owes everything to the
European tradition of early Tangerine Dream and the pure aesthetics of Brian
Eno at his most abstract. GrijsGebied's icy soundscapes exist purely to
transport you to another state of mind.

The first time I heard this album, I fell asleep.

In a 68 minute narcotic flow, GrijsGebied avoids all the ambient clichés -
there are no drums, no bleatings of sheep and not a note is wasted. Although
divided into eight tracks, the album works as one piece, a journey through
whatever landscape the music invokes.

The key to the consistency is the simple equipment Florianz uses - in his
case a box of tones, manufactured by Korg. Deep editing and sound
manipulation gives him access to timbres that are unique.

The second technique, and perhaps the most crucial, is Florianz's skill as
an arranger and engineer. What initially sounds as quite an abstract drift
reveals itself, on closer inspection, as a great skill in keeping all the
elements in check. If one theme is in danger of becoming too prominent it is
folded back into the mix to morph into new shapes and a new direction.

It's no exaggeration to say that this is a hugely important album in the
annals of electronica and if you're at all interested in the genre, you
simply must hear it. It's available directly from the label's website for a
tenner (www.hsrecordings.co.uk). Trust me, it's a classic.

Rating: (5 stars out of 5)
Andrew Cowen

Matthew Florianz
http://www.liquidmorphine.com/reviews.html

"Zaum" <za...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Scott McGregor Moore

Apr 18, 2002, 12:11:32 PM4/18/02
I personally feel that GrijsGebied is a classic minimal dark ambient work
and has the potential to be remembered as one of the finest ambient releases
from this decade. Its subtle soundscapes are truly masterful creations.

Cheers,
Scott M2