Which Juan Luis Guerra songs are salsa?

kaysee

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
JLG has a salsa piece or two on most of his other abums - Arieto, Bachata Rosa, Ojalá
Que Llueva Café - and they are mostly as good. Arieto is probably your best bet,
since it has several numbers on it, along with a bolero or two. On Bachata Rosa the
one that comes to mind is "Carta de amor", and I think "Razones" is on Ojalá. I
have El Original 4.40, but I haven't really listened to it too much yet <g>. If you
liked "Quisiera", you will like most of the other salsa he has. A lot of the
merengue he has produced is quite approachable as well, not quite so formularistic, I
guess I would describe it.

A question for the group: who plays drums on Ojalá que Llueva Cafe? Is it ChiChi
Peralta perchance?

kaysee

Paul Derks wrote in message <8l08r3$62f$1...@clematis.singnet.com.sg>...
>The subject sums it up, so far I have only found Quisiera which is
>fantastic.
>Which album of Juan Luis Guerra contains more salsa like this?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Paul

Paul Derks

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00

Songo Man

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
The subject sums it up, so far I have only found Quisiera which is
fantastic.
Which album of Juan Luis Guerra contains more salsa like this?>>

I always likes "Como Abeja al Panal", which is sort of bolero/salsa

songoman

Santa Salsera

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
Wow, that is weird, because that is also EL CHER's favorite.

-Fab

Songo Man

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00

-Fab

Songo Man wrote:

Ain't weird atall. It's a great tune. Even sissies like great tunes.

songoman

Santa Salsera

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
*grin* he's no sissy! It just means "dear" in French. Grammatically, it's
fully masculine.

-Fab

Songo Man

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
*grin* he's no sissy! It just means "dear" in French. Grammatically, it's
fully masculine.

-Fab>>

Oh, I wasn't commenting on his NAME...

songoman

pablo

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
When it comes to these medium tempo tunes, Juan Luis Guerra has a few.

"Ayer" on the Areito album is one of my favorites, pure poetry on top of a
beautiful beat. There's also "Mal de amor", slightly more upbeat. Has
anyone else ever noticed JLG always has at least one song that has the "love
= sickness -> hospital" theme going in his albums? "El Niagara en
Bicileta"... "Mal de amor"... "La Biliburrina"...

There's "Reforestame" on Bachata Rosa, and some more.

But to me, it's JLG's slow jams that then go put the icing on the cake. He's
a genius, as far as I am concerned. Our own Latin Smokey Robinson. :-)

The original poster might also enjoy Chi-Chi Peralta's first album ["Pa'l
otro la'o"], with songs such as "Me enamore" and "Procura". Don't touch the
latest, "De vuelta al Barrio", with a long pole, though, it's mostly a huge
disappointment.

And if soft salsa is called for, you can get all you want from folks such as
Raulin Rosendo (check out a song like "Deseo" or "Solo pienso en ti"), Tito
Nieves or Los Titanes. Damn, do I ever repeat myself... :-)

...pablo

kaysee

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00

pablo wrote in message ...

>When it comes to these medium tempo tunes, Juan Luis Guerra has a few.
>
>"Ayer" on the Areito album is one of my favorites, pure poetry on top of a
>beautiful beat.

My favorite on this album was "Señales de humo", which is really more a bolero, but a
lovely one. . . . But this was an excellent introduction to JLG, as every single
(full-length) track is a pick. I'd recommend it highly.

There's also "Mal de amor", slightly more upbeat. Has
>anyone else ever noticed JLG always has at least one song that has the "love
>= sickness -> hospital" theme going in his albums? "El Niagara en
>Bicileta"... "Mal de amor"... "La Biliburrina"...
>
>There's "Reforestame" on Bachata Rosa, and some more.
>
>But to me, it's JLG's slow jams that then go put the icing on the cake. He's
>a genius, as far as I am concerned. Our own Latin Smokey Robinson. :-)

Sooo true. . . . .

>The original poster might also enjoy Chi-Chi Peralta's first album ["Pa'l
>otro la'o"], with songs such as "Me enamore" and "Procura". Don't touch the
>latest, "De vuelta al Barrio", with a long pole, though, it's mostly a huge
>disappointment.
>
>And if soft salsa is called for, you can get all you want from folks such as
>Raulin Rosendo (check out a song like "Deseo" or "Solo pienso en ti"), Tito
>Nieves or Los Titanes. Damn, do I ever repeat myself... :-)

Yeah, you do repeat yourself. . . .just glad you are doing it here so I can be
reminded. . . .

kaysee

>...pablo

kaysee

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
I know you didn't like "Rosalia", although it is the BEST song on the CD. . . . .

"ay, Rosalia"
kaysee