Best Latin song ever recorded: Caballo Viejo.

Carlos Moreno

Apr 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/26/95
Leo Bueno (leob...@miles.netpoint.net) wrote:
: Does anybody else think that "Caballo Viejo", by Roberto Torres y su
: Charanga Vallenata, is the greatest Latin song ever recorded? Can you
: think of any others that come even close to the Old Horse?

I would need a couple of Gygabytes to store the list of songs better
than the old horse...

Any good salsa, almost any song by Inti-illimani, almost any
song by Pablo Milanes... you name it...

Carlos
--
Now playing: Inti-illimani - Andadas

Leo Bueno

Apr 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/26/95
Does anybody else think that "Caballo Viejo", by Roberto Torres y su
Charanga Vallenata, is the greatest Latin song ever recorded? Can you
think of any others that come even close to the Old Horse?

| Leo Bueno >>>-----> leob...@netpoint.net |
| <a href="http://www.netpoint.net/~leobueno/index.html">Leo's Page</a> |

Ray Ravelo

Apr 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/26/95
In article <3nlkr1$k...@pointer.netpoint.net>,

Leo Bueno <leob...@miles.netpoint.net> wrote:
>Does anybody else think that "Caballo Viejo", by Roberto Torres y su
>Charanga Vallenata, is the greatest Latin song ever recorded? Can you
>think of any others that come even close to the Old Horse?

Not the greatest, but very good. To my "non-musical" ears it sounds
like the precursor of the lambada, -very sensual and "bailable".
--
Ray I. Ravelo "Ideas are more powerful that guns. We would not
Academic Computing let our enemies have guns, why should we let

Ismael Cordeiro

Apr 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/26/95
Leo Bueno (leob...@miles.netpoint.net) wrote:

> Does anybody else think that "Caballo Viejo", by Roberto Torres y su
> Charanga Vallenata, is the greatest Latin song ever recorded? Can you
> think of any others that come even close to the Old Horse?

The greatest one is "El Santo Cachon", by Los Embajadores Vallenatos. 8-)

Ismael
| ISMAEL CORDEIRO | Internet: ism...@nyongwa.montreal.qc.ca |
| Montréal - Québec - Canada | Fidonet: 1:167/179 |

J E D

Apr 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/27/95

Well Leo you did not say Caribbean you said Latin so I'm sorry but "Volver"
by Carlos Gardel se gana el premio. (In fact just about anything by
Gardel was great)

For Cuban I'll ride on Hilda's choices.

-jorge

Leo Bueno (leob...@miles.netpoint.net) wrote:
: Does anybody else think that "Caballo Viejo", by Roberto Torres y su
: Charanga Vallenata, is the greatest Latin song ever recorded? Can you
: think of any others that come even close to the Old Horse?

: --

ga8...@evax01.d51.lilly.com

Apr 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/27/95
In article <3nlkr1$k...@pointer.netpoint.net>, leob...@miles.netpoint.net (Leo Bueno) writes:
> Does anybody else think that "Caballo Viejo", by Roberto Torres y su
> Charanga Vallenata, is the greatest Latin song ever recorded? Can you
> think of any others that come even close to the Old Horse?

Yea! Ramona is next to it on "Night Rider". That's what I call close. :-)

SOURCEXPRT

Apr 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/27/95
We would have to wait a few years to see If el Santo Cachon really has
what it takes. IT's too commercial and not deemed to last as long as
many, many, many other hits, as Caballo Viejo.

Konstantin Laufer

Apr 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/27/95
In article <3nlkr1$k...@pointer.netpoint.net> leob...@miles.netpoint.net (Leo Bueno) writes:

> Does anybody else think that "Caballo Viejo", by Roberto Torres y su
> Charanga Vallenata, is the greatest Latin song ever recorded? Can you
> think of any others that come even close to the Old Horse?

I have thought for a long time that is one of the best, as you can
verify by selecting URL http://www.math.luc.edu/~laufer/quotes/spanish.

I would not go so far as to say it is the best. Do we allow boleros
into this competition? How about "Caso Perdido" by Graciela with
Machito? There is tons of great stuff out there, most of which
happens to be Cuban. Roberto is just one of many.

Konstantin Laufer lau...@math.luc.edu http://www.math.luc.edu/~laufer/

-W.DIAZ

Apr 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/27/95
In article <3nlkr1$k...@pointer.netpoint.net>,
Leo Bueno <leob...@miles.netpoint.net> wrote:
>Does anybody else think that "Caballo Viejo", by Roberto Torres y su
>Charanga Vallenata, is the greatest Latin song ever recorded? Can you
>think of any others that come even close to the Old Horse?
>

>--
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| Leo Bueno >>>-----> leob...@netpoint.net |
>| <a href="http://www.netpoint.net/~leobueno/index.html">Leo's Page</a> |
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

Leo, my wife does, but you know she has no taste, she married me.

Fred

Martijn van Eerde

Apr 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/27/95
leob...@miles.netpoint.net (Leo Bueno) wrote:

>Does anybody else think that "Caballo Viejo", by Roberto Torres y su
>Charanga Vallenata, is the greatest Latin song ever recorded? Can you
>think of any others that come even close to the Old Horse?

well, it's surely one of the best !

Mark G.

Apr 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/27/95
Leo Bueno (leob...@miles.netpoint.net) wrote:
: Does anybody else think that "Caballo Viejo", by Roberto Torres y su
: Charanga Vallenata, is the greatest Latin song ever recorded? Can you
: think of any others that come even close to the Old Horse?

You only say that because Leo, te dan sabana porque eres viejo y
cansado...:)

: --

: +-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
: | Leo Bueno >>>-----> leob...@netpoint.net |
: | <a href="http://www.netpoint.net/~leobueno/index.html">Leo's Page</a> |
: +-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

--
|\ The pen is mightier than the sword. |http://www.shadow.net/
[|%%%%%%%%%>========================--------------- |~markg

Milton Morales

Apr 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/28/95
Leo,

Nunca oi <<Caballo viejo>> pero la buscare. Para mi, la mejor cancion
latina jamas grabada es la version de <<!Que te pedi!>> de La Lupe.
Emocion mas pura que la de su voz nunca se encontrara jamas. No se
puede dudar que cada palabra que La Yiyiyi jamas canto no salio del
centro de su corazon. E.P.D.

In <3nlkr1$k...@pointer.netpoint.net> leob...@miles.netpoint.net (Leo

Bueno) writes:

>Does anybody else think that "Caballo Viejo", by Roberto Torres y su
>Charanga Vallenata, is the greatest Latin song ever recorded? Can you

>think of any others that come even close to the Old Horse?
>

>--
>+---------------------------------------------------------------------
-+

>| Leo Bueno >>>-----> leob...@netpoint.net

Page</a> |

>+---------------------------------------------------------------------
-+

Harbey Santiago

Apr 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/28/95
leob...@miles.netpoint.net (Leo Bueno) wrote:

> Does anybody else think that "Caballo Viejo", by Roberto Torres y su
> Charanga Vallenata, is the greatest Latin song ever recorded? Can you
> think of any others that come even close to the Old Horse?

I agree with you, however I thing that "Timbalero" by gran combo
gets close because of the arangement. Also some of Wilfrido Vargas
lirics are pretty good...

Saludos
Harbey

E.M.

Apr 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/28/95

>>Does anybody else think that "Caballo Viejo", by Roberto Torres y su
>>Charanga Vallenata, is the greatest Latin song ever recorded? Can you
>>think of any others that come even close to the Old Horse?

It's a truly wonderful recording, and Torres has
many other great recordings.

But how can we determine the "best" song of ANY catagory?
Is there an official committee that decides? ;)

--Eric
--
e...@netcom.com

Enrique A. Medina

Apr 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/28/95
In article <3nlkr1$k...@pointer.netpoint.net>,
Leo Bueno <leob...@miles.netpoint.net> wrote:
>Does anybody else think that "Caballo Viejo", by Roberto Torres y su
>Charanga Vallenata, is the greatest Latin song ever recorded? Can you
>think of any others that come even close to the Old Horse?
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

>| Leo Bueno >>>-----> leob...@netpoint.net |
>| <a href="http://www.netpoint.net/~leobueno/index.html">Leo's Page</a> |
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

I think it was a good recording of a good song. The greatest latin song
ever recorded? That would be too much, in my opinion, especially because
it is my understanding that Caballo Viejo was originally a Venezuelan
"cancion llanera" that was good to begin with.

Enrique A. Medina
Panamanian

Leo Bueno

Apr 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/28/95
*** Harbey Santiago (hsan...@basil.vap.sandia.gov) *** wrote in rec.music.afro-latin:

}leob...@miles.netpoint.net (Leo Bueno) wrote:
} I agree with you, however I thing that "Timbalero" by gran combo
}gets close because of the arangement. Also some of Wilfrido Vargas
}lirics are pretty good...

Wait a second, you mean like "El Baile del Perrito" lyrics?

| Leo Bueno >>>-----> leob...@netpoint.net |
| <a href="http://www.netpoint.net/~leobueno/index.html">Leo's Page</a> |

| <a href="mailto:leob...@netpoint.net">e-mail to Leo</a> |

coconutg

Apr 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/29/95
Leo Bueno (leob...@miles.netpoint.net) wrote:
: Does anybody else think that "Caballo Viejo", by Roberto Torres y su
: Charanga Vallenata, is the greatest Latin song ever recorded? Can you
: think of any others that come even close to the Old Horse?

What album is it on? I love the two or three Torres disc I have and can
use a good recommendation!

Steve Sando, Coconut Grove, PO Box 78146, San Francisco 94107
e-mail for sample of MisterLUCKY jazz-centric music news
voice:415/648.5803 fax:415/282.4394 e-mail:coco...@wco.com
"Strange how potent cheap music is." - Noel Coward

rec.music.afro-latin

Apr 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/29/95
In article k...@pointer.netpoint.net, leob...@miles.netpoint.net (Leo Bueno) writes:
> Does anybody else think that "Caballo Viejo", by Roberto Torres y su
> Charanga Vallenata, is the greatest Latin song ever recorded? Can you
> think of any others that come even close to the Old Horse?

Bueno chico, yo creo que Roberto se la comio cuando escribio el Caballo Viejo!
Pero, yo creo que ahi que darde credito a Jose Marti por la Guantanamera!!!

Guantanamera...... guajira guantanamera......

~
Viva Cuba Libre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cono!!!!!!!!!!

Hilda A

Apr 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/29/95
Eric asked:

>>But how can we determine the "best" song of ANY catagory?
Is there an official committee that decides? ;)<<

Of Course, Eric, didn't you know...Leo Bueno is the official committee of
one...he's an expert at just about everything...and If he doesn't know
somethin, he makes it up! Right Leo? :) :) :)

Hilda

"If we weren't crazy, we'd all go insane..." Jimmy Buffett

Leo Bueno

Apr 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/30/95
*** Hilda A (hil...@aol.com) *** wrote in rec.music.afro-latin:

}Eric asked:
}>>But how can we determine the "best" song of ANY catagory?
}Is there an official committee that decides? ;)<<

}Of Course, Eric, didn't you know...Leo Bueno is the official committee of
}one...he's an expert at just about everything...and If he doesn't know
}somethin, he makes it up! Right Leo? :) :) :)

Hilda is 99% correct. I am not quite an expert at everything, but pretty
darn near thereto. Yes, I am the committee, but not of one. I have
multiple personalities, so the committee is made up of several personas.
You should have seen the intensity of the debate leading up to the
selection of Caballo Viejo as the greatest tune; the decision was split 5
to 4. By the way, my former wife had similar psychological attributes;
her favorite song was the Commodores "Three Times A Lady".

Leo Bueno

Apr 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/30/95
Note: Roberto Torres did not write Caballo Viejo; he RECORDED it.
Authorship credit for this great tune goes to Venezuela's Simon Diaz.

*** rec.music.afro-latin *** wrote in rec.music.afro-latin: }In article

Judy

May 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/1/95
SOB's in May 1995
204 Varick Street (Corner of Houston)
(212) 243-4940

Monday night is free for ladies from 5 to 8 pm. There will still be
dance lessons from 7 to 8, although this month I'm not sure if they're
still doing Mambo (I'll find out.) Stay for dinner and then hear live
music sets, usually at 9:30 and 11:30. They've got a great lineup of
stars for the Monday La Tropica nights. Don't miss Oscar D'Leon on May
8; he's a wonderful performer and it will be a treat to see him in a
club setting. Also Seis del Solar, Eddie Palmieri w/Ismael Quintana, La
India, Sergio Arau and Tito Rojas. They've added New Havana Nights on
Sunday May 7 which features Puntilla, & Charangon Explosion.

Monday, May 1 - Seis del Solar
Tuesday-Thursday, May 2, 3 & 4 - Sengalese Superstar Ismael Lo w/Vieux
Diop
Friday, May 5 - Mark Johnson at 8 then French Carribean Dance Party
with Phantoms
Saturday, May 6 - Samba Novo
Sunday, May 7 - New Havana Nights w/ Puntilla & Charangon Explosion

Monday. May 8 - Oscar D'Leon (and me, in the audience dancing)
Tuesday, May 9 - Reggae Spring Fever - Irie FM
Wednesday & Thursday, May 10 & 11 - Jon Lucien (sigh)
Friday, May 12 - Ryo Kawasaki at 8, then Diblo Dibala & Matchatcha
(Soukous)
Saturday, May 13 - From Zaire: Kanda Bongo Man
Sunday, May 14 - Flamenco Mother's Day Celebration w/Pasion Flamenco
Live Band & Dancers (free Champagne/Sangria for all Moms)

Monday. May 15 - Eddie Palmieri w/Ismael Quintana
Tuesday, May 16 - Reggae Spring Fever w/Oku Onoura, Junior Jazz, Jah
Levi & Higher Reasoning
Wednesday May 17 - Djakout Djevo, Rara Machine (& Many More)
Thursday, May 18 - "Too Hot To Mention...Call Club for Info..." Don't
worry kids, I'll find out for you and post later!
Friday, May 19 - Roberto Perera at 8 PM, Nahawa Doubia & Dominic Kanza
Saturday, May 20 - Brazilian Energy Sounds
Sunday, May 21 - Sergio Arrau and Special Guests

Monday. May 22 - La India
Tuesday, May 23 - Reggae Spring Fever - Michael Rose
Wednesday and Thursday, May 24 & 25 - Pieces of a Dream
Friday, May 26 - French Carribean Dance Party
Saturday, May 27 - Live from Martinique: Kwak
Sunday, May 28 - Hot African Dance Party: Loketo w/Aurlus Mabele

Monday. May 29 - Tito Rojas
Tuesday, May 30 - Reggae Spring Fever w/Bunny Rugs (lead singer of
Third World)
Wednesday & Thursday, May 31 & June 1 - Art Porter
Friday, June 2 - French Carribean Dance Party
Saturday, June 3 - Weekend Tropical Dance Party

Margaret E. Martin

May 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/1/95
In article <Pine.ULT.3.91.950501155916.5830E-100000@rowan>, JOHNNY MACIAS
<j...@coventry.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 26 Apr 1995, Leo Bueno wrote:
>
> > Does anybody else think that "Caballo Viejo", by Roberto Torres y su
> > Charanga Vallenata, is the greatest Latin song ever recorded? Can you
> > think of any others that come even close to the Old Horse?
>

> Pero viejo que me dices de Celia con Yerbero, o
> Pedro Navaja cantado por Ruben Blades.

Caballo Viejo es muy buena. Tal vez alguien puede hacer un sample de esa
cancion en un archivo de ftp? O, por lo menos, la letra?

--
margaret e. martin/Graduate Student/Political Science/University of Michigan/Visiting Instructor Carleton College/Northfield, MN '94-'95

P.C.Colombo

May 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/2/95

Funes el memorioso strikes bacK:

Cuando el amor llega asi de esta manera
uno no se da ni cuenta.
El tarrutal reverde,
ceigua machito florece
y las hojas se revientan.

Cuando el amor llega asi de esta manera
uno no tiene la culpa.
Quererse no tiene horario
ni fecha en el calendario
cuando las ganas se juntan.

Caballo, le dan sabana porque esta viejo y cansao,
pero no se ha dado cuenta que un corazon amarrao
cuando le sueltan las riendas es caballo desbocao.

Y si una potra alazana caballo viejo se encuentra
el pecho se le desgrana y no le hace caso a falseta(?)
y ya no obedece al freno ni lo paran falsas riendas.

Segunda: las dos primeras estrofas se repiten, el estribillo dice:

Caballo le dan sabana y tiene el tiempo contao
y se va por las ma~anas con su pasito apurao
a verse con su potranca que lo tiene ama~ao.

El potro da tiempo al tiempo porque le sobra la edad.
Caballo viejo no puede perder la flor que le dan
porque despues de esta vida, no hay otra oportunidad.

En fin. Con tal de no trabajar soy capaz de mandar "Coplas a la muerte
de mi padre", de J. Manrique, completas y en espa~ol antiguo.

Salutti a tutti.

Pablo Colombo

Leo Bueno

May 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/2/95
After backing up a bunch of times over the song, here is what I hear
(some small changes from Pablo's transcription):

CABALLO VIEJO
Escrita por: Simon Diaz
Interpretada por: Roberto Torres

Cuando el amor llega asi de esta manera
uno no se da ni cuenta

el Cauta reverdece
y el Guamachito florece
y las sogas se revientan
[se repite]

caballo le dan sabana porque esta viejo y cansao
pero no se dan de cuenta que un corazon amarrao

cuando le sueltan las riendas es caballo desbocao

y si una potra alazana caballo viejo se encuentra
el pecho se le desgrana y no le hace caso a faseta
y no le obedece a freno ni lo para un pasa rienda

cuando el amor llega asi de esta manera

uno no tiene la culpa

quererse no tiene horarios

ni fecha en el calendario
cuando las ganas se juntan

[se repite]

caballo le dan sabana y tiene tiempo contao
y se va por la ma~ana con su pasito apurao
a verse con su potranca que lo tiene embarrascao

el potro da tiempo al tiempo porque le sobra la edad
caballo viejo no puede perder la flor que le da

porque despues de esta vida, no hay otra oportunidad

[coro]
Cuando el amor llega asi, llega asi de esa manera
Cuando el amor llega asi, llega asi de esa manera
Cuando el amor llega asi, llega asi de esa manera
Cuando el amor llega asi, llega asi de esa manera

[coro]
Caballo le dan sabana porque esta viejo y cansao
Caballo le dan sabana porque esta viejo y cansao
Caballo le dan sabana porque esta viejo y cansao
Caballo le dan sabana porque esta viejo y cansao

[coro]

Quererse no tiene horario ni fecha en el calendario

Caballooooooo

Quererse no tiene horario ni fecha en el calendario

Caballooooooo

Marcelo Bruno

May 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/2/95

In article <mmarteen-010...@macmmartin1.poli-sci.carleton.edu>, mmar...@umich.edu (Margaret E. Martin) writes:
|> In article <Pine.ULT.3.91.950501155916.5830E-100000@rowan>, JOHNNY MACIAS
|> <j...@coventry.ac.uk> wrote:

|> > Pero viejo que me dices de Celia con Yerbero, o
|> > Pedro Navaja cantado por Ruben Blades.
|> >

|> Caballo Viejo es muy buena. Tal vez alguien puede hacer un sample de esa
|> cancion en un archivo de ftp? O, por lo menos, la letra?
|>
|> --
|> margaret e. martin/Graduate Student/Political Science/University of Michigan/Visiting Instructor Carleton College/Northfield, MN '94-'95

I really have a problem with calling Castilian music "Latin". After all,
it is not sung in Latin, but in Castilian (or Spanish, if you will). Latin
music is what we hear in the Vatican, during masses celebrated by the Pope
(though they are sung in a kind of "Vulgar Latin", not classic Latin).

Any Romance music (Italian, Castilian, Portuguese, Catalan, Occitan, French,
Rheto-Romansh, Sardinian, Romanian, Dalmatian or whatever) is not Latin.
At least it hasn't been Latin since the 8th or 9th century when the
Romance languages were already distinct from both classic and vulgar Latin.

Marcelo G.S. Bruno
-------------------

jes...@idirect.com

May 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/2/95
In <3o5hgr$p...@fs7.ece.cmu.edu>, br...@ibis.ece.cmu.edu (Marcelo Bruno) writes:

> I really have a problem with calling Castilian music "Latin". After all,
>it is not sung in Latin, but in Castilian (or Spanish, if you will). Latin
>music is what we hear in the Vatican, during masses celebrated by the Pope
>(though they are sung in a kind of "Vulgar Latin", not classic Latin).
>

> Any Romance music (Italian, Castilian, Portuguese, Catalan, Occitan, French,
>Rheto-Romansh, Sardinian, Romanian, Dalmatian or whatever) is not Latin.
>At least it hasn't been Latin since the 8th or 9th century when the
>Romance languages were already distinct from both classic and vulgar Latin.
>

> Marcelo G.S. Bruno
>-------------------

Pero, Marcello

"latin" is an abreviation of latin american indigenous peoples music
or latin american aboriginal peoples music, or latin american music
of the illiterate, or something like that.
Regards
John

Ivan M CaveroBelaunde

May 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/3/95
br...@ibis.ece.cmu.edu (Marcelo Bruno) writes:
>In article <mmarteen-010...@macmmartin1.poli-sci.carleton.edu>, mmar...@umich.edu (Margaret E. Martin) writes:

I enjoy CV, but I agree with the posters below on Pedro Navaja, or
even better some pieces of "Siembra" (ie "Plastico"). JLG, the current
fan favorite is a little too recent to be in the running (we'd have
to see how his songs age), but my gut says that he'd belong there.
Some Hector Lavoe as well.

>|> Caballo Viejo es muy buena. Tal vez alguien puede hacer un sample de esa
>|> cancion en un archivo de ftp? O, por lo menos, la letra?

>|> margaret e. martin/Graduate Student/Political Science/University of Michigan/Visiting Instructor Carleton College/Northfield, MN '94-'95

> I really have a problem with calling Castilian music "Latin". After all,
>it is not sung in Latin, but in Castilian (or Spanish, if you will). Latin
>music is what we hear in the Vatican, during masses celebrated by the Pope
>(though they are sung in a kind of "Vulgar Latin", not classic Latin).

You kinda have a point, but the music is *not* "Castilian". It may be
*sang* in Castilian, but "Latin" music typically refers to a style/genre,
not the language used. You don't refer to rock, country, or jazz
as "English" music, do you?

Thus, you can have "latin jazz" that is, in fact, sang in English.
Latin is a well-accepted term (I prefer Afro-Latin myself, which

creole subcultures in Latin America (does this term bug you too?),
typically with substantial African influence.

> Any Romance music (Italian, Castilian, Portuguese, Catalan, Occitan, French,
>Rheto-Romansh, Sardinian, Romanian, Dalmatian or whatever) is not Latin.
>At least it hasn't been Latin since the 8th or 9th century when the
>Romance languages were already distinct from both classic and vulgar Latin.

Language != Music, as I've mentioned before. If anything, the closest
thing that can be used to classify music is ethnicity. In this case,
Latin or Afro-Latin are accurate.

Or we could call it what people called it in Peru for a while,
La Musica Afro-Latino-Caribenho-Americana. !Eso!

Chau,

-Ivan
----
Ivan Cavero Belaunde (iva...@world.std.com, iva...@avid.com)
Avid Desktop Group
Avid Technology, Inc.
Disclaimer: All opinions are mine and mine alone.

Ivan M CaveroBelaunde

May 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/3/95
jes...@idirect.com writes:
>In <3o5hgr$p...@fs7.ece.cmu.edu>, br...@ibis.ece.cmu.edu (Marcelo Bruno) writes:
>> I really have a problem with calling Castilian music "Latin". After all,
>>it is not sung in Latin, but in Castilian (or Spanish, if you will). Latin
>>music is what we hear in the Vatican, during masses celebrated by the Pope
>>(though they are sung in a kind of "Vulgar Latin", not classic Latin).
>"latin" is an abreviation of latin american indigenous peoples music
>or latin american aboriginal peoples music, or latin american music
>of the illiterate, or something like that.

As long as we're throwing around words like "illiterate," maybe
shopping around for a clue before posting would be in order.
Paja. Ojo. Viga.

Little "Latin" music (using "Latin" as in common usage, Marcelo's
complaints notwithstanding) has substantial "indigenous" components.
You must hunt around to find substantial Quechua/Aymara/Aztec/Mayan/etc
influence in "Latin" music (that's changing - witness Lambada, derivative of
Bolivian indigenous music, and JLG's incorporation of indigenous
influences into his music, or "Chicha" music). The biggest influence
(even overpowering the Spanish influence) is African, as evidenced by
the rhythms. IMHO.

Chris Haas

May 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/3/95
Dear Johnny, I happen to agree that Cabello Viejo is one of the best latin
songs ever written, especially the version by Sonora Poncena. It is unfortunate
that the Gypsy Kings got so much popularity out of Bamboleo, which is basically
a rip-off of said song. The Sonora Poncena that that song comes from is called
Night Raider and it is excellent. I have to put in my vote, however, for Soy
Antillana for best song also. That version is Celia Cruz y la Sonora Poncena
from the album:La Ceiba. That album has to be one of my desert island top 5. If
you don't have it, you have to get it. Papo Lucca just plays incredible on it,
so does Sal Cuevas. As Ray Barretto once sang, "Que Viva La Salsa". Take
care-Chris Haas.

MSibaja

May 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/4/95

No doubt CV is way up on any aficionado's list, as Pedro Navaja should be.
But my vote is for Ray Barreto's "Cocinando", on his album " Que viva la
musica".

gorai

May 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/5/95
Cabballo Viej is composed by great venezuelan composer Simon Diaz.
The song is one of good Pasaje.
I have never heard Siom Diaz's originaly recording.But I've heard Costa Caribe's version and Ensemble Gurrufio's instrmental version. Both of them are great.
BTW Acording to Linner Notes of "SUENO COLOMBIANO"(by Sue Steward), the song has unusually rich history.

:Simon Diaz's original version was a rootsy downhome acousitc tune ,like this
version here(CORRALEROS DE MAJAGUAL version).It was picked up and given the
charanga traement in Miami by Roberto Torres,then totally revamped by Gipsy
Kings into ... "Bambolero".

Yukiyoshi Gorai ,go...@piaa.fxis.fujixerox.co.jp

MCrockett

May 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/9/95
Well, I'll leave superlatives like "the best" to others, but it's
certainly one of my favorites and one of the most requested classics from
listeners.

Michael Crockett/"Horizontes"KUT-FM Austin Fridays 2-5PM

Marco Agudelo

Aug 27, 2022, 1:04:39 PMAug 27
On Wednesday, April 26, 1995 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Leo Bueno wrote:
> Does anybody else think that "Caballo Viejo", by Roberto Torres y su
> Charanga Vallenata, is the greatest Latin song ever recorded? Can you
> think of any others that come even close to the Old Horse?
> --
> | Leo Bueno >>>-----> leob...@netpoint.net |
> | <a href="http://www.netpoint.net/~leobueno/index.html">Leo's Page</a> |

Yes, since "Roberto Torres y su Charanga Vallenata" are just one of many orchestras playing this great song written by the Venezuelan composer Simón Diaz.