Yamaha V-Max

Benjamin Justin Cain

Aug 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/3/95
Clifford Smith (cliffor...@pixie.co.za) wrote:
: Hi,

: I am thinking about buying a second-hand V-Max. I was wondering if
: they are still considered a good & fast bike, especially in the light
: of the new breed of motorcycles we see on the road today?

: Thanx.

Weak and slow.

--

Ben
1992 FJ1200 "The Bushwacker" DoD # 1/137

ibm.net

Aug 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/3/95
In <3vqv48$m...@news.tamu.edu>, bjc...@tam2000.tamu.edu (Benjamin Justin Cain) writes:

>Weak and slow.
>--
>Ben
>1992 FJ1200 "The Bushwacker" DoD # 1/137

But you can't beat their CORNERING and BRAKING !!!

Richard
mes...@ibm.net

Clifford Smith

Aug 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/3/95

Sensory Overload

Aug 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/4/95
In <3vpocr$i...@foxbat.pix.za> cliffor...@pixie.co.za writes:

: Hi,

:
: I am thinking about buying a second-hand V-Max. I was wondering if
: they are still considered a good & fast bike, especially in the light
: of the new breed of motorcycles we see on the road today?

Just a few days ago, a friend of mine who I hadn't seen for quite a
while pulled up in front of my house on a bright yellow V-Max.
I could not believe my eyes. This was the same guy who, not even a
year ago, was pottering around on a nitrous-snorting GSX-R1340 and
still wasn't impressed with the fact that he couldn't pop fifth-gear
power wheelies.

What, I asked myself, teh hell is he doing riding around on a V-Max?
"What," I asked him, "the hell are you doing riding around on a V-Max?
Where's your Gixser?"

"Sold it to buy this baby," said he as he suggestively stroked the
smooth flowing curve of one of the V-Max's plastimetal air scoops.
"I think," I said as I put my hand on his forehead, "you need to seek
professional help. You didn't happen to reroute your Gixser's nitrous
lines into your helmet, did you?"

"Don't give me that condescending crap. You people don't understand.
You people will NEVER understand. Hell, even _I_ didn't understand
until a friend of mine gave me his V-Max for me to paint. I painted
it bright bright red. Looked damned good. Except, to my eyes at
least, teh bike didn't seem as if it could back up its looks, so I
took it out for a ride around the corner. Didn't get back home until
several hours later. There's just something about a V-Max...it's
so...so....masculine. It exudes levels of testosterone that only
elephant-sized gonads can produce, but it goes far far deeper than
that. It is a very profound and intense feeling that is totally
indescribable. But what the hell am I telling you all this for? You
wouldn't believe me. Sure, you can laugh about my Max's fake air
scoops or fake gas tank or 'horrendous' handling, but you will _NEVER_
know the truth about the V-Max until you've ridden one."

"Which is why," he said as he got off the bike and tossed me the keys,
"you are going to go for a ride on mine."

As I wiped off the blood slowly oozing out of the fresh cut on my
cheek and stooped to pick up his ignition keys, I thought about what
he said.

Could it be possible that perhaps the significance of the Yamaha V-Max
was not in its spec-sheet numbers or even in its V-Boost but in some
sort of viscerally profound sensory stimulation which only an actual
ride would reveal?

Could it possibly be that I, in addition to the collective majority of
rec.motorcyclists, have been mistakenly prejudiced against the V-Max
for no good reason other than the fact that it was made by Yamahaha?
Have we been wrong this whole time about Mr. Max?

Outraged by this wholly undeserved accusation, I jammed his key into
the ignition, plopped my arse into the seat of the V-Max, and donned
my helmet and gloves.

"Damn you!" I screamed, ignoring the passersby who stole very furtive
glances at the pair of us and then quickly averted their gazes. "Damn
you to bloody hell! I'll show you just what a piece of shite this
bike is! As soon as I try to make that first turn, the bike will
slide and slide and slide right off the face of the earth, and I will
know how right I am!"

My friend nodded solemnly, knowing full well that I might very well
make good on my threat, but what scared me was the look on his face.
It was not a look of if-you-even-scrape-the-footpegs-on-the-tarmac-
I-will-cause-you-great-amounts-of-bodily-pain, but a look of total
understanding and acceptance that even if I were to wad up his bike
into a $9000 plastimetal ball, the sacrifice he was making in an
attempt to enlighten me and relieve me of my ignorance was one he
would make again without hesitation.
With that last look on his visage forever burned into my memory, I
turned the ignition on and damned nearly thumbed the starter button
through the switch cluster housing.
The bike thrummed to life and settled into an unearthly staccato idle
whose every power stroke I could feel hammering into the very depths
of my soul. It was a feeling entirely unlike anything I had ever felt
short of being eaten.

Awed by a dawning revelation that there was a supernatural entity
lurking somewhere in the confines of the 1200 cc's of motor that was
throbbing--seemingly as if daring me to expose its awesome power with
a gratuitous flick of my right wrist--between my legs, I defiantly
gave the throttle a brief tug.

The beast within roared in anger.

As the bike settled back into its unearthly idle and my heart rate
returned to normal, I swallowed with the rapidly eroding conviction of
one who has come to the realisation that perhaps, just perhaps, she
has bitten off more than she could chew.
And choke to death.

I gritted my teeth--more to fight off my rising desperation than to
make any gratuitous display of my now non-existent machismo--lifted
the bike up, and retracted the sidestand.

I glanced at my friend for what possibly might be the very last time.
He acknowledged with a salute.

With my heartbeats reverberating audibly inside my RF200, I clunked
the transmission into first and slowly fed in the clutch and throttle.
Immediately I was thrust forward with an authority that neither my
beloved Gixsers nor former lovers could ever have managed.

"There's plenty more where that came from." came a deep voice suddenly
from out of nowhere.

I glanced around in panic, looking for the source of the voice....and
very nearly ran the stop sign which had seemed quite distant only a
few fractions of a second ago.

I nailed the brakes and came to a halt just as a police cruiser passed
through the intersection.

The plods' eyes were on me.

"Help me." I squeaked. "Please....help me. I don't want to die."

A hand slowly came up into view from within the cruiser in a thumbs-
up gesture of approval.

"No." I whispered in despair. "Please. Come back. Save me."

The cruiser continued through the intersection, apparently not hearing
my desperate pleas for salvation.

I was frozen. I could barely think. I was petrified with total awe
of this beast that had possessed me and held me in its unrelentingly
tight clutches.

"Waste not my time, mortal." came the Voice again out of nowhere.

I attempted to swivel my head desperately about, trying to see who had
spoken, but I could not.

I caught a glimpse in the mirrors of the irate driver of a livery cab
that was stopped mere inches from the V-Max's rear tyre, who promptly
put all of his weight on his horn button and simultaneously began
spewing a nearly endless stream of Spanish obscenities.

My mind was a confused jumble of thoughts and emotions; yet, I somehow
managed to signal, make, and survive a right turn. The peculiarity of
this escaped me at that moment, for I had other things--like my own
survival--on my mind. It was only upon later--much later--reflection
of my ride on the V-Max that it occurred to me that it would indeed
have been quite difficult for me to have made that turn without divine
intervention, as I had been so frozen that I had not even put my feet
down at the intersection (my friend had noticed this with great
interest in spite of the fact that he was well aware of my many years
of dancing ballet and thus my excellent balance), much less perform
the necessary synchronised movements for executing a turn from a dead
stop.

As I regained control of my body and rolled on the throttle slightly,
the Voice spoke again.

"Harder." it urged. "Open me up."

"No." I whispered in response as I simply accepted the Voice for what
it was.....no more and no less.

"Do it."

"No." I croaked. "Please. No."

And then, suddenly, inexplicably, undeniably, the throttle turned back
until it hit its stop.

The supernatural entity residing within the bike's motor unleashed an
otherworldly roar which shook me to the very core of my existence.
The rear end of the V-Max fishtailed as the wide Dunlop Qualifier
radial spun and waged a war with the tarmac for traction.
And won all too soon.

The Max hurled us forward faster than I had ever thought any
street-legal motor vehicle could. An intense searing pain shot
through my shoulders, and I feared that they had become dislocated
from the massive force that threatened to pull my arms out of their
respective sockets.

Time seemed to stand still as we ripped down the street, and quite
possibly, for all I knew, through the space-time continuum itself.

"Three......" came the Voice, "two......one......."

The tach needle cleared 6.

An explosion of pure thrust and forward motion greater than any I had
ever experienced in this life launched us into hyperspace. The
raked-out front end of the bike lofted high into the air in a defiant
and universally understood "Fuck you, world!"

Parked cars, buildings, and Lord knows what else flashed by in an
unrecognizable blur of visible electromagnetic waves.

Mr. Max pulled harder and harder the higher the tach needle spun.
In a fraction of a second, second gear was selected in a damn-the-
shift-forks powershift.

The front wheel dipped downwards ever so slightly and promptly snapped
back up as the V-Boost came on again.

"Am I," said the Voice agonizingly slowly and tantalisingly--as if
doubling the residential area speed limit on one wheel were an
everyday occurrence, "giving you unparalleled pleasure?"

"Brnmgrllmnrbergrllbnnmnz," was all I could answer in response, for I
was having great difficulty breathing with my body very nearly
horizontal with respect to the earth and travelling much faster than
the local constabulary would approve of.

The throttle, as inexplicably as it had slammed to its stop seemingly
seconds before, rolled off slowly.

The front tyre gradually descended and touched Mother Earth.

We slowed down and came to a stop.

When my vision focused, I could not believe my eyes.
We had come to a stop in front of my house.

"This is not possible....not possible," I mumbled under my breath.

"What's not possible?" asked my friend as he flipped open my
faceshield and peered intently into the depths of my eyes.
Before I could answer him, and, to my great embarrassment, I passed
out.

So it is here from my bed, two days later and recovering from the
supernatural experience I had been subjected to, that I type this
message to you, fellow rec.motorcyclists.

If you asked me what I thought about the V-Max more than two days ago,
I would have told you, "Nothing."

But things have changed now.

If you ask me now, I would tell you, "You wouldn't understand."
And that would be the truth.
Because you wouldn't understand.....neither did I.

But now I do.

It is with a great sorrow in my heart that I post the following, but
it is a sorrow which will soon be replaced by the joy akin to that
shared by two formerly unrequited lovers who, by the hand of fate,
have been forever united against all odds.

FOR SALE
--------
1986 Suzuki GSX-R7/11, blue/white, mint condition:
- '92 1127cc motor, Stage I porting and polishing, Yoshimura Stage I
cams, 5-angle valve job, titanium retainers. All work done by
Yoshimura Racing.
- 36mm Slingshot carburetors. Jetted w/Stage III Dynojet kit, Vance
& Hines individual air filters, Yosh Fresh Air Intake kit.
- Supertrapp Superlight exhaust system. Stainless steel construction
throughout and tunable via diffuser discs.
- Vance & Hines PowerPak ignition module, EPROM revision 2.0i
- 142.5 rear-wheel HP @ 10,750rpm (dyno'd by previous owner)
- 3.5" x 18" ('88 1100) front rim, 120/70ZR-18 Metzeler MEZ1
- 4.5" x 18" ('88 1100) rear rim, widened to 6.25" by Kosman,
180/55ZR-18 Metzeler MEZ1.
- Nissin front brake calipers and full-floating rotors from '92 GSX-R
- Progressive Suspension fork springs
- Ohlins shock
- Yoshimura-braced '92 750 swingarm
- Barnett Kevlar clutch
- Solo seat cover
- 13,418 miles

Make me a serious offer via email. Please, if you are some squid who
is looking for a bike to beat on, don't bother responding. I want to
sell this bike to somebody who will ride it, maintain it, and love it
the way I have for the year I have owned it.

Sensory Overload __
b4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu __/0 \_
Newy Ork City \____ \
/ \
'86 GSX-R 7/11 __ //\ \
__/o \-//--\ \_/
KotPMS \____ ___ \ |
Adny Oowdwrad Acolyte #1 || \ |\ |
Honourary Brit #001 || || ||
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Kjell Arild Sandvik

Aug 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/4/95
bjc...@tam2000.tamu.edu (Benjamin Justin Cain) wrote:
:>Clifford Smith (cliffor...@pixie.co.za) wrote:
:>: Hi,

:>
:>: I am thinking about buying a second-hand V-Max. I was wondering if
:>: they are still considered a good & fast bike, especially in the light
:>: of the new breed of motorcycles we see on the road today?
:>
:>: Thanx.
:>
:>Weak and slow.

:>
:>--
:>
:>Ben
:>1992 FJ1200 "The Bushwacker" DoD # 1/137
:>
-----

Oh yeah?

Put on a Dynojet kit, K&N aircleaners and Supertrapp mufflers, tune it all
and make the V-Boost work properly on all RPM's, and your FJ will look like
it's parked in the smoke when the signal turs green. So will most other
stock bikes, nomatter how many R's they've got on their plastic.

When it comes to handling, ok, it's far from the above described
plastic racers, but much better than most people seems to beleive.

/KAS

'93 Suzuki Intruder 1400, "Beauty"
'90 Yamaha Vmax, "Beastie" (like above, sold, being picked up on monday if I
survive the last weekend on it)

Steve B

Aug 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/4/95
Kjell Arild Sandvik <k...@sasdata.no> wrote:

<snip>

>Put on a Dynojet kit, K&N aircleaners and Supertrapp mufflers, tune it all
>and make the V-Boost work properly on all RPM's, and your FJ will look like
>it's parked in the smoke when the signal turs green. So will most other
>stock bikes, nomatter how many R's they've got on their plastic.

>/KAS

OK, so you perform $500 to $1000 (estimated) modifications on the V-MAX
and then it can smoke any STOCK BIKES!

This seems like a fair comparison .......NOT =%0

Steve B

My opinions - NOT my employers

Andy Mac

Aug 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/4/95
In article <3vtee3$h...@cnn.exu.ericsson.se>
eus.e...@memo.ericsson.se "Steve B" writes:

And they will still get burned on the twisties by a Honda C90.....

Hmmm.. how about spending that money on tuning the C90... I wonder....?

[Andy]

http://metro.turnpike.net/S/spoon/index.html

"malignant with the mis-conception that a grunt can gleam"

Peter Goudswaard

Aug 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/4/95

In a previous article, hh...@crux2.cit.cornell.edu (Henry H Hansteen) says:

>Clifford Smith (cliffor...@pixie.co.za) wrote:
>: Hi,
>: I am thinking about buying a second-hand V-Max. I was wondering if
>

> Take it for a ride, you be the judge. Mine is 9 years old, still runs
[...]
> I heard that next year the MAX will be displacing 1300 cc's. This
>surprises me, since it's already the worlds fastest and most powerfull
>bike. Nothing even comes close to the MAX.

Henry, it appears that your opinions are still 9 years old. Sorry, but
it isn't the world's fastest and most powerful bike. Hasn't been for
some time.

--
Peter Goudswaard |~~~~~~| _/^\_ |~~~~~~|
An Axis & Allies FAQ Maintainer | | _/\_\ /_/\_ | |

Kjell Arild Sandvik

Aug 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/4/95
B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu (Sensory Overload) wrote:
>In <3vpocr$i...@foxbat.pix.za> cliffor...@pixie.co.za writes:
>
>: Hi,
>:
>: I am thinking about buying a second-hand V-Max. I was wondering if
>: they are still considered a good & fast bike, especially in the light
>: of the new breed of motorcycles we see on the road today?

snapsnap "Long, beautiful story...."

> "Three......" came the Voice, "two......one......."
>
> The tach needle cleared 6.
>
> An explosion of pure thrust and forward motion greater than any I had
> ever experienced in this life launched us into hyperspace. The
> raked-out front end of the bike lofted high into the air in a defiant
> and universally understood "Fuck you, world!"

Yeah!!
That's how it feels on the stock US version! (European versions need the
V-Boost first). With Dynojet stage 7, K&N cleaners (oil type) and Supertrapp,
some small adjusting by someone who knows how to handle the V-Boost, it's there
(and then some) all the way! No sudden explosion, just pure madness from the
uneven idle and up....

snapsnap "another part of long, beautiful story..."

> "This is not possible....not possible," I mumbled under my breath.

Right again!
It's simply not possible to shift fast enough, eyh?

I'm not at all able to describe this feeling as beautiful and full of lyric
touch as The Honourable Sensory Overload, but I must agree, you just have to
try, or forever shut yer mouth....

Why I sold mine? I'm an old man, my heart can't take that kind of pressure the
MadMax gives you. Hand me my wheelchair please.... (Intruder)

/KAS
'93 Intruder 1400 (Come my heart, relax now...)

Henry H Hansteen

Aug 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/4/95
Clifford Smith (cliffor...@pixie.co.za) wrote:
: Hi,
: I am thinking about buying a second-hand V-Max. I was wondering if
: they are still considered a good & fast bike, especially in the light
: of the new breed of motorcycles we see on the road today?
: Thanx.

Take it for a ride, you be the judge. Mine is 9 years old, still runs

like new. Looks like a new one too, since the style hasn't changed (much)
since it was introduced. Be prepared to have strangers walk up and
ask questions about the bike. It's a real attention getter.

I heard that next year the MAX will be displacing 1300 cc's. This
surprises me, since it's already the worlds fastest and most powerfull
bike. Nothing even comes close to the MAX.
Henry

PS
Plan on buying a lot of rear tires.

Vulmax

Aug 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/4/95
Rock solid and well worth the price. It's stable, reliable and goes right
where you point it. I use mine in city, interstate, country roads, with
kids on the back, hauling groceries, and occassionally hauling ass. BTW,
its my first bike, and I can't imagine anything that feels more
comfortable and safe. Its not a cruiser or a sports/race bike, but as you
can see by the flames a feverish comparisons, it touches alot of nerves.
If you love it-go for it. Happy trails. Bink

John Kershaw

Aug 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/4/95
[AIn article <3vto12$l...@newsstand.cit.cornell.edu>,

My neighbour, a motorcyclist for many years, just flogged his '89 FJ1200
last year. He figured he'd better get something a little less sporting
before his licence went the way of the DoDo. Two months ago, he came home
with an immaculate burgundy-ish VMAX with only about 6000km on it. It has
the complete Kerker system on it, which sound REALLY nice; not too loud,
just throaty. It is truly an eye catching beast. One thing I did notice,
the suspension bits aren't built in the normal cruiser spaghetti fashion -
these items are skookum. He's happy as a clam. However, buying one to keep
from getting tickets????? My answer?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

John Kershaw, '93 GSXR1100wp, BeeCee Beemers, DoD#1749
email: John_K...@mindlink.bc.ca Richmond,B.C.,Canada

John Lintner

Aug 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/6/95
> I heard that next year the MAX will be displacing 1300 cc's.

Is the V-MAX going to have the 1300? I know Yamaha is planning on a
big Harley style cruiser with that motor but are they going to use the
1300 on the new V-Maxes?

>This surprises me, since it's already the worlds fastest and most
>powerfull bike. Nothing even comes close to the MAX.

What about the ZX-11? I think it is a little faster in the quarter
mile and has a higher top speed!

Don't get me wrong, I love the V-Max, I'm planning for my next bike to
be one!

Sensory Overload

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
In <3vsp0n$6...@news.dax.net> k...@sasdata.no writes:

: bjc...@tam2000.tamu.edu (Benjamin Justin Cain) wrote:

: :>Clifford Smith (cliffor...@pixie.co.za) wrote:
: :>: Hi,
: :>
: :>: I am thinking about buying a second-hand V-Max. I was wondering if
: :>: they are still considered a good & fast bike, especially in the light
: :>: of the new breed of motorcycles we see on the road today?
: :>
: :>: Thanx.

: :>
: :>Weak and slow.

: :>
: :>--
: :>
: :>Ben
: :>1992 FJ1200 "The Bushwacker" DoD # 1/137
: :>
: -----
:
: Oh yeah?

:
: Put on a Dynojet kit, K&N aircleaners and Supertrapp mufflers, tune it all

: and make the V-Boost work properly on all RPM's, and your FJ will look like

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wait a second, so what you're saying is that Yamahaha intentionally
made teh V-boost not work properly below a certain RPM range? Why
would they do this? Would it be so that it would make the bike feel
bloody fast when the motor actually starts making power, like the
ninja 250?

John Kershaw

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
In article <404e2b$1i...@news.cuny.edu>, B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu (Sensory
Overload) writes:

>: Put on a Dynojet kit, K&N aircleaners and Supertrapp mufflers, tune it
all
>: and make the V-Boost work properly on all RPM's, and your FJ will look
like
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Wait a second, so what you're saying is that Yamahaha intentionally
>made teh V-boost not work properly below a certain RPM range? Why
>would they do this? Would it be so that it would make the bike feel
>bloody fast when the motor actually starts making power, like the
>ninja 250?

I gather the guy is alluding to having the VBoost running all the time. I
would think this would radically overcarb the motor at the bottom end,
causing a net loss of power off the line....ie tend to bog. Perhaps the
limit could be lowered with a net positive effect, but surely not right
from the start....????

Also, please note how the legend of the VMax is growing throughout the
years. Both their top speed and quarter mile times have long since been
surpassed by more modern sport machines. The changes the guy mentions, if
done to the FJ1200 as well would be the fair comparison, not just
unilateral. To give credit where credit is due, it is one helluva standard!
For those of us with a soft spot for V4s, even after surviving Honda's
cam-munchers, that motor is beautiful. Now if we could just get rid of the
'scoops'.....! The chassis is built reasonably well, so with some better
shocks and a little fork work, you might get the ground clearance and
eliminate the pogo stick effect (neighbours only real
complaint....ironically, he came off of an FJ1200!...thought the VMAX would
result in less tickets, ergo the HAHAHAHAHAHA from my previous post).

Janice, you REALLY going for one of these??? You'll have to ship the gifs
for both so I can do a comparo!

Henry H Hansteen

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
John Lintner (j.l.@ix.netcom.com) wrote:

I wrote:

: >This surprises me, since it's already the worlds fastest and most

: >powerfull bike. Nothing even comes close to the MAX.

: What about the ZX-11? I think it is a little faster in the quarter
: mile and has a higher top speed!

That was flame bait. Got a bite, but not as much action as I hoped for.
Yeah, a zx11 might beat a V-MAX on a lucky day, but it doesn't have the
unique look, or universal recognition of the MAX.
Henry

Henry H Hansteen

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
Sensory Overload (B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu) posted:

His now legendary story on the MAXimum experience available to
man woman or beast.

Good to see your story again. It found its way onto the V-MAX
mailing list too. Maybe you can sell it to Yamaha for use in
a V-MAX brochure. BTW, did you get rid of little suzi yet?
Henry

pho...@worf.netins.net

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95

Henry Hansteen wrote:

HH> That was flame bait. Got a bite, but not as much action as I hoped for.
HH>Yeah, a zx11 might beat a V-MAX on a lucky day, but it doesn't have the
HH>unique look, or universal recognition of the MAX.
HH> Henry

Watch for it comin' your way, Hen. :) Oh, and a ZX-11 will beat a VMAX on
any day, lucky or not. The VMAX does indeed have an attractive, and unique,
body style. As for universal recognition, I have to disagree. Any bike
enthusiast worth his salt knows not to mess with a ZX-11.

Brian

Stan Malyshev

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
In article <75874-8...@mindlink.bc.ca>,
John Kershaw <John_K...@mindlink.bc.ca> wrote:
[]

>I gather the guy is alluding to having the VBoost running all the time. I
>would think this would radically overcarb the motor at the bottom end,
>causing a net loss of power off the line....ie tend to bog. Perhaps the
>limit could be lowered with a net positive effect, but surely not right
>from the start....????

Wot's this Vboost, then? Summat like a dual-carb setup on thumpers,
only x4?

Stan Malyshev - st...@netcom.com ++ DoD#1299
Otherwise known as Sensory Overload and Andy Woodward.

131AA0000-RogersC(DR8926)273

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
In article <405c7i$4...@insosf1.netins.net> pho...@worf.netins.net writes:
>HH> I heard that next year the MAX will be displacing 1300 cc's. This
>HH>surprises me, since it's already the worlds fastest and most powerfull
>HH>bike. Nothing even comes close to the MAX.
>HH> Henry
>
>Buzzzzt. Wrong answer, Hen. It's the world's SECOND fastest and most
>powerful bike. Right behind the ZX-11.

Uh, that's *way* behind, with quite a few GSXRs, FZRs, CBRs, etc.
in between.

Chuck Rogers
car...@dr.att.com

pho...@worf.netins.net

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
HH> I heard that next year the MAX will be displacing 1300 cc's. This
HH>surprises me, since it's already the worlds fastest and most powerfull
HH>bike. Nothing even comes close to the MAX.
HH> Henry

Buzzzzt. Wrong answer, Hen. It's the world's SECOND fastest and most
powerful bike. Right behind the ZX-11.

Brian
(Need I say it? ZX-11 and DoD #1752)

P.S. Good to see ya again, buddy. :)

Michael Espig

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
In article <3vqv48$m...@news.tamu.edu>,

Benjamin Justin Cain <bjc...@tam2000.tamu.edu> wrote:
>Clifford Smith (cliffor...@pixie.co.za) wrote:
>: Hi,
>
>: I am thinking about buying a second-hand V-Max. I was wondering if
>: they are still considered a good & fast bike, especially in the light
>: of the new breed of motorcycles we see on the road today?
>
>: Thanx.
>
>Weak and slow.
>
>--
>
>Ben
>1992 FJ1200 "The Bushwacker" DoD # 1/137

oh please - let's not try to intentionally start a flame war again.
The V-Max is one of the best alternatives to a sportbike. I've had
a CBR1000 and a Ninja and just got tired of the vibrations and cramped
riding position. My '93 V-Max will hang with most rider/sport-bike
combinations except in tight corners. The riding position is extremely
comfortable. My bike has been bullet-proof and other older V-Max owners
say the same.

oh - and they will beat a FJ1200 :-)

Mike.

--

standard disclaimer: opinions above are my own.

Kjell Arild Sandvik

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95
John_K...@mindlink.bc.ca (John Kershaw) wrote:
>In article <404e2b$1i...@news.cuny.edu>, B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu (Sensory
>Overload) writes:
>
>>: Put on a Dynojet kit, K&N aircleaners and Supertrapp mufflers, tune it
>all
>>: and make the V-Boost work properly on all RPM's, and your FJ will look
>like
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>Wait a second, so what you're saying is that Yamahaha intentionally
>>made teh V-boost not work properly below a certain RPM range? Why
>>would they do this? Would it be so that it would make the bike feel
>>bloody fast when the motor actually starts making power, like the
>>ninja 250?
---------
The V-Boost doesn't work at all, and are not supposed to do, below about 6000 rpm.
That's why you get the BIG kick when the needle clears 6000. However, the DynoJet
stage 7 for Vmax allows it to work all the time. I really don't know why and how, but
I do know that it makes the ol' max a heck of a lot more powerful (together with
other aircleaners and mufflers). It gets really powerful at low RPM, you don't get
the famous kick at 6000 (which can be a little dangerous for novises), and you also
get a lot on the top. The guy who did mine estimated the performance gain to 15-20%,
and on top of that you get much more power below 6000 rpm. The drawback is a higher
fuel consumption.

One of the guys who tried mine when I advertised it for sale arrived on a FZR1000,
slightly rebuilt and tuned. When he got back from the test ride he was shaking. He
managed to get off the bike in a strange way, almost dropped it, and said with a
shivering voice: "I'll be damned!!! My bike feels like it's dead compared with
this!!!"

Stock ZX-11 beating this?? NO WAY, even if it had the best day in it's life!! It will
be hopelessly lost in the mirror all the way up to at least 110mph. After that...,
Sure,the madmax isn't capable of more than 150. The ZX-11 should manage 185, and
since it has less power: Well, think.......

/KAS

Soul of Slavery

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95
Kjell Arild Sandvik (k...@sasdata.no) wrote:

: Why I sold mine? I'm an old man, my heart can't take that kind of pressure the

: MadMax gives you. Hand me my wheelchair please.... (Intruder)

Hey, i am looking at a 85 V-max, and i was wondering the differences in
the bikes over it's evolution. Did they use the same engine/trans over
the evolution of the bike? What was the 1st year they made this bike?
Is there a certain year to aviod?

Thanks for this privelaged information.
Mark

Andy Woodward

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95
>Wot's this Vboost, then? Summat like a dual-carb setup on thumpers,
>only x4?

At high enough speeds, the fake airscoops blow off and allow much more
air to the intakes, resulting in a huge burst of power

Henry H Hansteen

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95
Sensory Overload (B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu) wrote:

: Wait a second, so what you're saying is that Yamahaha intentionally

: made teh V-boost not work properly below a certain RPM range? Why
: would they do this? Would it be so that it would make the bike feel
: bloody fast when the motor actually starts making power, like the
: ninja 250?

Well, not exactly, Sensy. The reason the V-Boost doesn't open up
until 6K is to detune the engine. That kind of power comming on
instantly could cause loss of control for inexperienced riders.
The lawyers would have a feild day at Yamaha's expense and the Mighty
Max's future could be in question. That kind of power has to be tamed,
so the engineers at Yamaha added those butterflies to restrict the
airflow. In all things, moderation. Hope this helps.
Henry

Espen Olsen

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95
In article <407g4t$k...@news.dax.net> Kjell Arild Sandvik <k...@sasdata.no> writes:

[VBoost]

>Does someone KNOW what this thing do, and how it works? I guess I could give it
>one more
>shot to try to understand it...

I always thought the VBoost was butterfly valves in the exhaust. At a certain
rpm they close to give a different exhaust system configuration making the
system tuned for higher rpms. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Espen

LA6MGA/LA1K, DoD# 7962
Det er når en kjenner lukten av sin egen avfÞring at man lurer på
hvem man egentlig er.
A.And

Kjell Arild Sandvik

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95
st...@netcom.com (Stan Malyshev) wrote:

>Wot's this Vboost, then? Summat like a dual-carb setup on thumpers,
>only x4?

-------
Good Q!

Honestly, I don't know 4 sure. I've ridden max's both in Eu. version, without this
feature, standard US version with it, and my late madmax with Dyno stage 7, which
survived the last weekend with me and left with a new, happy owner yesterday.

The Eu. version has 100 HP according to specs. It's no big surprise. It's quite strong,
but no big surprise. You can buy the V-boost kit for it from any Yamaha dealer (most
people do), and it then turns into:

US version. 145 HP according to specs. Below 6000 rpm it's almost like the Eu. version,
just a bit stronger. At 6000, WOW & hell break lose! Looks like pitbull, handles like
pitbull.

The Dynojet kit for it is specially made to match the US version, and is called "Stage
7" as opposed to the normal "Stage 1" kits. Together with the right adjustment, mufflers
and cleaners this will give the Max about 170 HP.

Mine had the Dyno and stuff installed when I bought it, so I called up the guy who did
the job to ask him how the shit works. "Ah, you got the madmax!" he said, "nice fu..ing
machine! Well, it makes the thing more flexible, more able to handle tuning. It also
makes it possible to bypass the V-boost, or let's say make it work all the time. But
you'll have to use other mufflers and aircleaners to make the beast breathe, or it will
choke and get flooded" "Well" I said, "so what's the V-boost?" I didn't get as much as
half of it, but it seems to me that it's something like dual carb. x 4. But this can't
be all. In the instruction manual it says something like "To determine if your V-Boost
is working, switch the ignition on, and you should hear it" Oh, I tought that was the
fuel pump! It also says "The V-boost is some damned fine art of engineering, don't fuck
with it if you don't know how to do it, or you'll be passed by gixers and stuff" in
different words only. Doesn't make me much wiser....

Does someone KNOW what this thing do, and how it works? I guess I could give it one more
shot to try to understand it...

/KAS

Stan Malyshev

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95
In article <gjs.2599...@aber.ac.uk>, Gaz <g...@aber.ac.uk> wrote:
>None of you Vmax smegheads ever hear of Bimota, they make at least four bikes
>that will smoke the Vmax.

Don't you mean Bimoto? ;)

Daniel B Houlton

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95

: [VBoost]

: >Does someone KNOW what this thing do, and how it works? I guess I could give it

: >one more
: >shot to try to understand it...

: I always thought the VBoost was butterfly valves in the exhaust. At a certain

: rpm they close to give a different exhaust system configuration making the
: system tuned for higher rpms. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My understanding is that the Vboost is a butterfly valve between carbs 1 and 2 and
another between carbs 3 and 4. At 6000 rpm, the valves open. When a cylinder (say
one of the front ones) is in its intake stroke, the cylinder behind it is in some
other stroke so its carb is doing nothing. The open butterfly then allows the
intaking cylinder to suck from BOTH carbs. The same thing happens then when the
rear cylinder is in the intake stroke. It will get a charge from both its carb
and the carb for the cylinder in front of it.

The extra fuel/air charge from the second carb gives it the boost.

--Dan

Gaz

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95
None of you Vmax smegheads ever hear of Bimota, they make at least four bikes
that will smoke the Vmax.

Nothin as dangerous as knowing a little about summit. Go and get educated
before you spout erroneous "facts"

Gaz

Artyom

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95
On 08/07/95, PHO...@WORF.NETINS.NET wrote:

> HH> I heard that next year the MAX will be displacing 1300 cc's. This
> HH>surprises me, since it's already the worlds fastest and most power

> HH>bike. Nothing even comes close to the MAX.
> HH> Henry

> Buzzzzt. Wrong answer, Hen. It's the world's SECOND fastest and
> most powerful bike. Right behind the ZX-11.

Actually, I think if you use AMSOIL in V-Max, the reduced internal
friction would give the bike that extra kick V-boost cannot provide, and
transform it from marginally slower (.4 sec behind) into considerably
faster (.1 sec ahead) than ZX-11 bike which can't handle worth crap
anyway. After 10K miles needed to break AMSOIL in, of course.

_Art.
______
[DoD#1610] [art...@btf.com] / \ /
'81 XV-750 "splitter" < DARWIN ><
'93 CBR900RR 'gone with the Taurus" \______/ \
'89 CBR600F "red leaner" _| _|

---
* RM 1.3 * Eval Day 138 * Your E-Mail has been returned due to insufficient v
ltage.

WILLIAMS

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95
Espen Olsen (es...@itekiris.kjemi.unit.no) wrote:

: In article <407g4t$k...@news.dax.net> Kjell Arild Sandvik <k...@sasdata.no> writes:

: [VBoost]

: >Does someone KNOW what this thing do, and how it works? I guess I could give it
: >one more
: >shot to try to understand it...

: I always thought the VBoost was butterfly valves in the exhaust. At a certain
: rpm they close to give a different exhaust system configuration making the
: system tuned for higher rpms. Correct me if I'm wrong.

: Espen
Wrong end of the motor for V-BOOST. The EXUP system is the
exhaust system. EXUP is used on FZ and YZF models to increase the
midrange power for better drive out of corners (at least thats what the
adevertising says). Yoshimura also uses a similar concept on the DUPLEX
exhaust system. All four exhaust headpipes are connected by a pipe about
a foot from the exhaust. The idea is that the motor sees "more area" in
the primary headpipe which boosts midrange. Heard the Yosh system works
from a friend who tried the pipe. The V-BOOST system uses a butterfly
valve that opens at 6000 RPM allowing all carbs to feed all cylinders.
Willie

Sensory Overload

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
In <405fcr$c...@newsstand.cit.cornell.edu> hh...@crux2.cit.cornell.edu writes:

: Sensory Overload (B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu) posted:

Not yet, do you think $8000 was too much to ask for it?

Sensory Overload

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95

: Overload) writes:
:
: >: Put on a Dynojet kit, K&N aircleaners and Supertrapp mufflers, tune it
: all
: >: and make the V-Boost work properly on all RPM's, and your FJ will look
: like
: > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

: >Wait a second, so what you're saying is that Yamahaha intentionally
: >made teh V-boost not work properly below a certain RPM range? Why
: >would they do this? Would it be so that it would make the bike feel
: >bloody fast when the motor actually starts making power, like the
: >ninja 250?

:
: I gather the guy is alluding to having the VBoost running all the time. I

: would think this would radically overcarb the motor at the bottom end,
: causing a net loss of power off the line....ie tend to bog. Perhaps the
: limit could be lowered with a net positive effect, but surely not right
: from the start....????

Well, I remmber the V-Boost bit was one of the tasty bits the last
time the Vmax vs. ZX11 Flame Fest came around (back then, tho, Henry
Hansteen was a more prolific poster, but I think I _DID_ see him make
a post or two this past week, unless it was teh UnaForger getting
bored with Bunny and looking to stoke the fires of other threads--I
wonder who'll he'll be forging this time....ste1? adny? Me (can't
bloody wait for this one)? But that is neither here nor there....).
Several of the pro-Vmaxers kept mentioning about making the V-Boost
work at all revs for greater performance (but remember, folks, a few
fractions of a second in the 1/4-mile is insignificant, right?). If I
remember correctly, V-Boost just basically allows each cylinder to
draw from both carbs (or something or other), thus increasing
performance. BUT if making the V-boost work over the entire rev range
results in greater performance, then why didn't it come like that from
the factory in the first place? Obviously, then, it would have to be
some sort of gimmick, when the V-boost opens up, you FEEL it come on
and makes the bike FEEL like it's suddenly making much more power.
But if it ISN'T just a gimmick, then what possible performance
increase would enabling V-boost over the entire rpm range could you
get?

: Also, please note how the legend of the VMax is growing throughout the

: years. Both their top speed and quarter mile times have long since been
: surpassed by more modern sport machines. The changes the guy mentions, if
: done to the FJ1200 as well would be the fair comparison, not just

Well, if you mention this to the pro-Vmaxers, they'll mention
something about 'real-world ridability i.e. midrange power and
rollons', never mind the fact that they werer just claiming that it
was the quickest and fastest production bike. True, a stock V-max has
quicker rollon times than a stock ZX-11, but the ZX-11 still beats it
in the quarter mile.
However, the V-max, while close, is NOT the rollon champ of
production bikes, I believe the Katana 1100 (when it was still being
made) had that honour, and I think the last oil-cooled GSX-R1100 also
beat it in rollons.

: unilateral. To give credit where credit is due, it is one helluva standard!

Standard? I wouldn't really call a V-max a standard, standards are
bikes that don't do anything particularly well but don't do them bad
either. I'd say that the V-max wolud be best classified as a
musclebike.......and the only musclebikein the US market since Honda
made their Magnas cruiserish and the Eliminator was no longer sold.

: For those of us with a soft spot for V4s, even after surviving Honda's

: cam-munchers, that motor is beautiful. Now if we could just get rid of the
: 'scoops'.....! The chassis is built reasonably well, so with some better

Or at least make it functional......ram air, perhaps?

: shocks and a little fork work, you might get the ground clearance and

: eliminate the pogo stick effect (neighbours only real
: complaint....ironically, he came off of an FJ1200!...thought the VMAX would
: result in less tickets, ergo the HAHAHAHAHAHA from my previous post).
:
: Janice, you REALLY going for one of these??? You'll have to ship the gifs

Er....ye,s of course, why wouldn't I? My 170hp (measured at the cam
chain tensioner) Gixser just doens't compare, and the Vmax is much
more comfortable to boot.
I don't need handling because American roads don't have turns in
em......don't need my powerful Nissin brakes, either, reversing
Peterbilts are much more effective.......

Sensory Overload

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
In <40767r$k...@news.dax.net> k...@sasdata.no writes:

: John_K...@mindlink.bc.ca (John Kershaw) wrote:
: >In article <404e2b$1i...@news.cuny.edu>, B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu (Sensory
: >Overload) writes:
: >
: >>: Put on a Dynojet kit, K&N aircleaners and Supertrapp mufflers, tune it
: >all
: >>: and make the V-Boost work properly on all RPM's, and your FJ will look
: >like
: >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

: ---------

[...]

Like duh, of course. If my Gixser were snorting through a nitrous
bottle, the only thing a Vmax (stock or not) rider would be seeing
would be the back of his own head as his eyes would have been thrust
forcibly through the posterior portion of his cranial cavity by the
impossibly loud pressure pulses emanating from the open race baffle in
my Supertrapp.

Sure, make it fair, why don't you, compare a modified V-Max to a stock
ZX-11........

Just out of curiosity, how much does the Stage 7 modification cost?
(And whatever teh hell happened to Stages 2, 4, 5, and 6?)

: Sure,the madmax isn't capable of more than 150. The ZX-11 should manage 185, and

: since it has less power: Well, think.......

Ram-air and better aerodynamics.

Steve B

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
Kjell Arild Sandvik <k...@sasdata.no> wrote:

<snip>

>The Dynojet kit for it is specially made to match the US version, and is called "Stage
>7" as opposed to the normal "Stage 1" kits. Together with the right adjustment, mufflers
>and cleaners this will give the Max about 170 HP.

30 additional horsepower with a jet kit, and different air filters and
mufflers???? NOT!

>Does someone KNOW what this thing do, and how it works? I guess I could give it one more
>shot to try to understand it...

The V-Boost allows two carbs to feed one cylinder. At less than 6000 RPM
the engine carburates in a conventional manner, one carb per cylinder. At
approximately 6000 RPM the 'V-Boost' begins to actuate and opens ports
in between the two front and two rear intake ports. This allows both
front carbs to feed both front cylinders and both rear carbs to feed both
rear cylinders. Since only one cylinder (of each pair) will be operating
on the intake cycle, this has the effect of feeding one cylinder with two
carbs.

The reasons that this is actuated above 6000 RPM are;

Two carbs feeding one cylinder is not as effective below 6000 RPM
for the stock configuration (and may be totally unnecessary - see my
question below)

Around town drivability and fuel mileage should be improved using only
one carb per cylinder (by keeping that intake air velocity up).

MY QUESTION: Does anybody have any dynamometer test results which
document any SIGNIFICANT improvement in power by actuating the V-Boost
before 6000 RPM?

I am NOT looking for 'seat of the pants' responses, since I have had
experience putting accessory 'hop up' crap, like exhaust systems (at the
owners insistance), on bikes and had the owners tell me how much faster
their bikes were. The facts were that although the exhausts were louder,
they actually decreased power overall and would significantly create
holes in the power band (Note: this WAS based upon the results of dyno
testing/tuning). The owners had fallen into the "louder is faster"
syndrome coupled with the "I paid a lot for this so it must work"
mentality (nobody likes to admit the got burned).

Steve B

My opinions - NOT my employers

Kjell Arild Sandvik

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu (Sensory Overload) wrote:

-- snipsnap ---

>Just out of curiosity, how much does the Stage 7 modification cost?
>(And whatever teh hell happened to Stages 2, 4, 5, and 6?)

Don't remeber exactly, the guy who bought my bike got all the original
receipts. I think it was something like $300 for the kit. The job was a lot
more.... The numbers indicate how much is included in the kit, and thus how
much modification that's done. Stage 1, 2 and so on is still available, but all
the different stages are not available for all bikes.

>: Sure,the madmax isn't capable of more than 150. The ZX-11 should manage 185, and
>: since it has less power: Well, think.......
>
>Ram-air and better aerodynamics.

Aerodynamics, sure, But Ram-air? Isn't that a thing that only works at high
speed, when the airpressure gets high? And in that way feeds the engine better,
so it can perform better? Like a "nature driven" turbocharger? I don't think
this will give you the 35 mph higher top speed, but it will help on the
acceleration at high speed. Or did I get this wrong? Interesting concept
anyway...

/KAS

>Sensory Overload

Sensory Overload

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
In <espen.426...@itekiris.kjemi.unit.no> es...@itekiris.kjemi.unit.no writes:

: In article <407g4t$k...@news.dax.net> Kjell Arild Sandvik <k...@sasdata.no> writes:
:
: [VBoost]
:

: >Does someone KNOW what this thing do, and how it works? I guess I could give it

: >one more
: >shot to try to understand it...

:

: I always thought the VBoost was butterfly valves in the exhaust. At a certain
: rpm they close to give a different exhaust system configuration making the
: system tuned for higher rpms. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No, that's EXUP you're talking about, and it's not used in the V-Max.
V-Boost are butterfly vavles in the intake manifolds that when open
allow each cylinder to draw from two carbs (or something or other)...

Kjell Arild Sandvik

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
Soul_of...@miso.wwa.com (Soul of Slavery) wrote:

>Hey, i am looking at a 85 V-max, and i was wondering the differences in
>the bikes over it's evolution. Did they use the same engine/trans over
>the evolution of the bike? What was the 1st year they made this bike?
>Is there a certain year to aviod?
>
>Thanks for this privelaged information.
>Mark

--------
As far as I know the firs year was '85. Some people says that this model had more
power than the later ones, but I don't know if this is true.

When it comes to the styling of the bike there has only been minor changes. It
had a different taillight som years ago. I guess there has to be made changes on
the technical side over a 10 year period, but basicly the bike is the same. As
far as I know, the changes are just minor adjustments. I don't know what they are
in detail.

/KAS

Sensory Overload

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
In <407lls$d...@newsstand.cit.cornell.edu> hh...@crux2.cit.cornell.edu writes:

: Sensory Overload (B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu) wrote:
:
: : Wait a second, so what you're saying is that Yamahaha intentionally

: : made teh V-boost not work properly below a certain RPM range? Why
: : would they do this? Would it be so that it would make the bike feel
: : bloody fast when the motor actually starts making power, like the
: : ninja 250?
:

: Well, not exactly, Sensy. The reason the V-Boost doesn't open up

: until 6K is to detune the engine. That kind of power comming on
: instantly could cause loss of control for inexperienced riders.

Sorry, I didn't realise that Yamaha was intending the VMAx to be a
learne'rs bike.....

: The lawyers would have a feild day at Yamaha's expense and the Mighty

: Max's future could be in question. That kind of power has to be tamed,
: so the engineers at Yamaha added those butterflies to restrict the
: airflow. In all things, moderation. Hope this helps.

I can understand that type of attitude (one reason why the ignition
of the '95 GSX-R1100 is severely retarded when in first gear), but
don't you think that when the V-boost suddenly comes on and the bike
starts making full power when before it was barely making any that
that could conceivably cause loss of control for inexperienced riders?
Bikes with greater but smoother powerbands are more predictable than
peakier ones.
Even a newbie can figure out when he's riding a torquey bike that 'If
I turn the throttle this much more, I'll get this much more power', as
opposed to a peaky bike where 'If I turn the throttle this much more,
I won't be getting this much more power' and when the tach needle is
past a certain mark, unbeknownst t othe rider, the bike is suddenly
making MUCH more power than before.

Artyom

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
On 08/09/95, SENSORY OVERLOAD wrote:

> I can understand that type of attitude (one reason why the ignition
> of the '95 GSX-R1100 is severely retarded when in first gear), but
> don't you think that when the V-boost suddenly comes on and the bike
> starts making full power when before it was barely making any that
> that could conceivably cause loss of control for inexperienced
> riders? Bikes with greater but smoother powerbands are more
> predictable than peakier ones.

Here's the real answer.

V-Boost is the pruduct of painful realization that street 2-strokes will
never again be allowed on American market and attempt to get a
reasonable approximation.

Besides, if V-Boost was on at low RPM, wouldn't it misfire as bad as
single-carb Harleys?

_Art.
______
[DoD#1610] [art...@btf.com] / \ /
'81 XV-750 "splitter" < DARWIN ><
'93 CBR900RR 'gone with the Taurus" \______/ \
'89 CBR600F "red leaner" _| _|

---
* RM 1.3 * Eval Day 140 * I'm Bubba of Borg. Y'all fixin' to be assimilated.

Sensory Overload

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
In <40aitq$9...@news.dax.net> k...@sasdata.no writes:

: B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu (Sensory Overload) wrote:
:
: -- snipsnap ---
: >Just out of curiosity, how much does the Stage 7 modification cost?
: >(And whatever teh hell happened to Stages 2, 4, 5, and 6?)
: >
:
: Don't remeber exactly, the guy who bought my bike got all the original
: receipts. I think it was something like $300 for the kit. The job was a lot
: more.... The numbers indicate how much is included in the kit, and thus how

I would imagine it's a lot more involved than a regular rejetting,
since you're playing with the V-Boost, I'd imagine that some tinkering
with the butterfly valves would be necessary.

: much modification that's done. Stage 1, 2 and so on is still available, but all

: the different stages are not available for all bikes.

What I meant was that I've heard of Dynojet stages 1 and 3 (and now
7), but I've never seen stages 2, 4, 5, and 6.

: >: Sure,the madmax isn't capable of more than 150. The ZX-11 should manage 185, and

: >: since it has less power: Well, think.......
: >
: >Ram-air and better aerodynamics.
: >
:
: Aerodynamics, sure, But Ram-air? Isn't that a thing that only works at high
: speed, when the airpressure gets high? And in that way feeds the engine better,
: so it can perform better? Like a "nature driven" turbocharger? I don't think
: this will give you the 35 mph higher top speed, but it will help on the

No, it doens't give the bike a 35mph higher top speed, but the two
bikes are different enough in other aspects. Like, say, the gearing?
The ZX-11 is geared pretty tall to accomadate that 175mph top speed.
Is the Vmax gearing the same as the ZX-11's? I think not, I'm willing
to bet it's a little bit shorter to help in the acceleration
department.
Aerodynamics makes a HUGE difference, especially the faster you go
because air pressure varies proportionally to the square of the speed.
With a relatively unaerodynamic bike like the VMax you will have to
get the motor to produce a LOT more horsepower to get a relatively
small increase in top speed becasue the bike isn't aerodynamic.

: acceleration at high speed. Or did I get this wrong? Interesting concept
: anyway...

Recetnly one of the motorags simulated the increase in horsepower that
ram-air provides using a ZX-9R. They fastened some huge air duct to
the ram-air intake snorkel and used a big fan to simulate the bike in
a dynamic situation whilst still stationary on a dyno, effectively
putting the ram-air system into play. Forgot what teh exact numbers
were, but I think the power increase at the bike's top speed was on
the order of like 8-10%, theoretically increasing the top speed by
like 6 or 7mph.
Point is, ram air works......but only at high speeds and won't
increase top speed by 20-30mph, but it does increase it a little.
This combined with the ZX-11's slipperier aerodynamics as well as
about 10 horses (at the back wheel) more than the Vmax gives it that
extra 25mph up top.

Sensory Overload

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
In <95080919...@btf.com> art...@btf.com writes:

[...]

Yes, but that would only make the effect of the V-Boost coming on (and
having the motor start firing properly) that much greater, and, not
only that, but when the motor is misfiring, it would have a very lumpy
idle like heavily-worked Muscle cars do, increasing the effect.

Sensory Overload

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
In <stasDD2...@netcom.com> st...@netcom.com writes:

: In article <409kq2$15...@news.cuny.edu>,
: Sensory Overload <B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu> wrote:
: []
: >performance. BUT if making the V-boost work over the entire rev range

: >results in greater performance, then why didn't it come like that from
: >the factory in the first place? Obviously, then, it would have to be
: >some sort of gimmick, when the V-boost opens up, you FEEL it come on
: >and makes the bike FEEL like it's suddenly making much more power.
: >But if it ISN'T just a gimmick, then what possible performance
: >increase would enabling V-boost over the entire rpm range could you
: >get?
:

:
: There's a tradeoff between good intake velocity at low rpms and
: good carb throughput at high rpms.
:
: If you put huge smoothbores on the thing, it'll run great on the
: racetrack at WFO, but low-end response will suffer. And if you
: put small carbs on it, low-end will be spunky at the expense of
: the top end.
:
: So it would seem that this butterfly arrangement maintains low
: rpm intake speed when closed, and then opens up allowing for
: better top end flow.

Yeah, but it's not as if the intake ports or manifold are shrinking
and becoming larger, the cylinders simply draw from one additional
carb, which I guess increases the mixture.
BUT then there are those people who talk about the Stage 7 kits which
keep the V-boost on ALL of the time, yet they're talking about gains
of 15-20% all around.....

Stan Malyshev

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
In article <409kq2$15...@news.cuny.edu>,
Sensory Overload <B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu> wrote:
[]

>performance. BUT if making the V-boost work over the entire rev range
>results in greater performance, then why didn't it come like that from
>the factory in the first place? Obviously, then, it would have to be
>some sort of gimmick, when the V-boost opens up, you FEEL it come on
>and makes the bike FEEL like it's suddenly making much more power.
>But if it ISN'T just a gimmick, then what possible performance
>increase would enabling V-boost over the entire rpm range could you
>get?

There's a tradeoff between good intake velocity at low rpms and
good carb throughput at high rpms.

If you put huge smoothbores on the thing, it'll run great on the
racetrack at WFO, but low-end response will suffer. And if you
put small carbs on it, low-end will be spunky at the expense of
the top end.

So it would seem that this butterfly arrangement maintains low
rpm intake speed when closed, and then opens up allowing for
better top end flow.

Stan Malyshev - st...@netcom.com ++ DoD#1299

http://www.xcf.berkeley.edu/~stas

Andy Woodward

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
>>None of you Vmax smegheads ever hear of Bimota, they make at least four bikes
>>that will smoke the Vmax.
>
>Don't you mean Bimoto? ;)

Bimbota.

Nobbut girlie bikes.

Just another roadkill on the Information Superhighway
+++++++++++++++++++++++ None-%er #1 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Benjamin Justin Cain

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
Michael Espig (m...@ishark.intel.com) wrote:

: oh - and they will beat a FJ1200 :-)

I'll take that bet. Race you through Deal's Gap? ;)

--

Ben
1992 FJ1200 "The Bushwacker" DoD # 1/137

Benjamin Justin Cain

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
Kjell Arild Sandvik (k...@sasdata.no) wrote:

: Oh yeah?

: Put on a Dynojet kit, K&N aircleaners and Supertrapp mufflers, tune it all
: and make the V-Boost work properly on all RPM's, and your FJ will look like

: it's parked in the smoke when the signal turs green. So will most other
: stock bikes, nomatter how many R's they've got on their plastic.

Oh yeah?

Put a solid fuel rocket booster on the FJ and it will turn you *and* your
weak and slow V-Max into a nice little weenie roast. And screw the
green light. So there.

Any monkey can go fast in a straight line.

Benjamin Justin Cain

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
Sensory Overload (B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu) wrote:

: Well, if you mention this to the pro-Vmaxers, they'll mention

: something about 'real-world ridability i.e. midrange power and
: rollons', never mind the fact that they werer just claiming that it

And their collective point would be...? The FJ is still top shelf as
far as both roll-on and midrange power go. I'm not just saying that
because I'm a foaming-at-the-mouth FJ 1%er either. It's just plain
true. Or were you not speaking of the specific FJ/V-Max comparison?

John Kershaw

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
In article <espen.426...@itekiris.kjemi.unit.no>,
es...@itekiris.kjemi.unit.no (Espen Olsen) writes:

>I always thought the VBoost was butterfly valves in the exhaust. At a
certain
>rpm they close to give a different exhaust system configuration making the
>system tuned for higher rpms. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are thinking of EXUP. VBoost works at the other end. After a certain
rpm a valve in the intake manifold opens up allowing each cylinder to
breath through 2 carbs instead of one.

John Kershaw, '93 GSXR1100wp, BeeCee Beemers, DoD#1749
email: John_K...@mindlink.bc.ca Richmond,B.C.,Canada

Owen D. Barnes

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95
In <401i53$5...@ixnews3.ix.netcom.com> j.l.@ix.netcom.com (John Lintner) writes:

>Is the V-MAX going to have the 1300? I know Yamaha is planning on a
>big Harley style cruiser with that motor but are they going to use the
>1300 on the new V-Maxes?

FWIW, my Yamaha dealer tells me the new Harley-ish cruiser will use the
same engine as the Venture, *not* the V-Max.

Owen Barnes
ACES VST Unit
oba...@acenet.auburn.edu

John Kershaw

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95
In article <stasDD2...@netcom.com>, st...@netcom.com (Stan Malyshev)
writes:

>There's a tradeoff between good intake velocity at low rpms and
>good carb throughput at high rpms.

>If you put huge smoothbores on the thing, it'll run great on the
>racetrack at WFO, but low-end response will suffer. And if you
>put small carbs on it, low-end will be spunky at the expense of
>the top end.

>So it would seem that this butterfly arrangement maintains low
>rpm intake speed when closed, and then opens up allowing for
>better top end flow.

Agreed. I'll bet when the VMax first came out that Yamaha were trying to
appeal to the car hotrod crowd. I seem to remember the trick carbs on cars
used to be (Carter? Holley?...??) those with relatively small primaries and
huge ashtray secondaries. You could mat it gently off the line, keeping
traction, then floor it to cut in the secondaries and just sink back in the
seats. GTO Judge? Hemi 'Cuda ahhhhhh...Norton Commando leaking
oil....yeccch :-). What is the VMax, if it isn't a two wheeled ticket into
the NHRA???

Blaine Gardner

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95
bjc...@tam2000.tamu.edu (Benjamin Justin Cain) writes:

>Sensory Overload (B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu) wrote:

>: Well, if you mention this to the pro-Vmaxers, they'll mention

>: something about 'real-world ridability i.e. midrange power and
>: rollons', never mind the fact that they werer just claiming that it

>And their collective point would be...? The FJ is still top shelf as

>far as both roll-on and midrange power go. I'm not just saying that
>because I'm a foaming-at-the-mouth FJ 1%er either. It's just plain
>true. Or were you not speaking of the specific FJ/V-Max comparison?

One might also mention "Cycle" magazine's test of the FJ1200, wherein
they made quite a big deal out of the FJ1200 outperforming the V-Max in
roll-on and midrange performance.

I thought I still had the original quote on disk around here somewhere,
but it appears to currently exist only on tape (and original hardcopy,
somewhere at the bottom of the closet, in a box :-).
--
Blaine Gardner bla...@xmission.com DoD#46 FJ1200 XR600R LT250R

Peter Jones

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95
SM>From: st...@netcom.com (Stan Malyshev)
SM>Subject: Re: Yamaha V-Max
SM>
SM>In article <409kq2$15...@news.cuny.edu>,
SM>Sensory Overload <B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu> wrote:
SM>[]
SM>>performance. BUT if making the V-boost work over the entire rev rang
SM>>results in greater performance, then why didn't it come like that fro
SM>>the factory in the first place? Obviously, then, it would have to be
SM>>some sort of gimmick, when the V-boost opens up, you FEEL it come on
SM>>and makes the bike FEEL like it's suddenly making much more power.
SM>>But if it ISN'T just a gimmick, then what possible performance
SM>>increase would enabling V-boost over the entire rpm range could you
SM>>get?
SM>
SM>
SM>There's a tradeoff between good intake velocity at low rpms and
SM>good carb throughput at high rpms.
SM>
SM>If you put huge smoothbores on the thing, it'll run great on the
SM>racetrack at WFO, but low-end response will suffer. And if you
SM>put small carbs on it, low-end will be spunky at the expense of
SM>the top end.
SM>
SM>So it would seem that this butterfly arrangement maintains low
SM>rpm intake speed when closed, and then opens up allowing for
SM>better top end flow.
Sounds almost like the vacuum secondary carbs that cage motors have.
Secondaries only open when the motor has a need for it. Or, like the the
Rochester Quadrajet that millions of Chevvys have. Tiny primaries that the
motor runs on 80-90% of the time, large secondaries, again, when the need
is there.
If four cylinder bike carbs fed into a common manifold, then they
could have two primary carbs and two vacuum secondaries, which would give
good down low response and economy, and still have plenty on top. Any
opinions?
Peter
Peter...@Welcom.Gen.NZ
Old Suzuki GS100GK
Older Yamaha IT400

---
* WinQwk 2.0 a#0 * Unregistered Evaluation Copy

Clifford Smith

Aug 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/14/95

>I am thinking about buying a second-hand V-Max. I was wondering if
>they are still considered a good & fast bike, especially in the light
>of the new breed of motorcycles we see on the road today?

Well, I never imagined my original post would turn into a thread this
size! It's amazing how anything out of the ordinary, like the v-max
can engender so much debate.

But anyway, I have been looking for a v-max, and have been very
disappointed with the prices people want for their two to three year
old v-maxes. The average price is around R45000 or roughly $12800!
That's a little rich for me.

That's the major problem with bike prices in South Africa. a new
ZZR-1100 will run you about R69500 ($19300), and with current interest
rates running at about 18%, that does not leave me with much room to
move.

So, I am not looking at a two or three year old Kawasaki 600. What do
you think? Are they good bikes?

Cliff

kali...@cortex.amc.uva.nl

Aug 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/14/95

I just red in Pro Motor (a Dutch journal) that in 1996 Yamaha will
have their new V-MAX 1300. From the artist's drawing it looks more as a
naked sportser than as a cruiser. A new big cruiser-glider will come
too, most probably called "Royal Star 1300". The journal expects that
it will be powered either by a "calmed" V-MAX quad or by a Virago's
V-twin clone.
BTW, there are more news from Yamaha. In 1996 the GTS 1000 is expected
to be discontiniued because of poor sales. It will be replaced by a sport
bike - GTS 900.

Jon N. Steiger

Aug 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/14/95
Clifford Smith (csm...@global.co.za) wrote:

: >I am thinking about buying a second-hand V-Max. I was wondering if

: Cliff

I think its time to look into import tarrifs and shipping costs.

Time for a vacation in the good 'ol U.S. of A! The plane ticket
over and the plane/boat ticket back aside, you would still probably save
money. Unless S. Africa is like some countries who hit you with a 100-200%
import tax to keep people from doing this.

Not a really convenient method I know, but it may be something to
keep in mind...

-Jon-

.-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Jon Steiger == DoD# 1038 == USUA# A46209 == NMA# 117376 == KotWitDoDFAQ |
| stei...@cs.fredonia.edu && http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ |
| '91 3000GT VR-4, '91 FZR600R /* Just another mangy hacker */ |

Andy Woodward

Aug 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/14/95

Further to the Vmaxes dont corner debate, the owner of teh bikefixers
I use has bought himself one to play with. Coming back thru Wales last
night he was following his mate on an FZR1000 and another on a Blade,
who went berserk as soon as the bendy bit came along. He was surprised
to find he had no trouble keeping up. His comment was that the sportbikes
are point and shoot devices.

But the Max requires that you ride it. You get knackerd with the concentration,
but it'll go VERY fast down bendy roads if you actually ride it - a lost
art for the modern generation.......

Interestingly, he was using my 'counterweighting the entrance technique......

David Hwang

Aug 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/14/95

I wonder if anyone knows anything about how to get into motorcycle
racing. I am in california, so if anyone can respond to my question i
would apprciate the help. Any numbers, or information on amateur
motorcycle racing would be appreciated.

thanky you

David
email address: eabu...@ea.uci.edu

Philip Hamm

Aug 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/15/95
>|> FWIW, my Yamaha dealer tells me the new Harley-ish cruiser will use the
>|> same engine as the Venture, *not* the V-Max.
The V-Maxx and the Venture share the same engine, with minor adjustments
akin to the Honda VFR750/Magna75 and Kawasaki GPZ1100/ZX11.

Chris BeHanna

Aug 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/15/95
In article <40j8iv$g...@xmission.xmission.com> Blaine Gardner (bla...@xmission.xmission.com) wrote:

:>bjc...@tam2000.tamu.edu (Benjamin Justin Cain) writes:

:>>Sensory Overload (B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu) wrote:

:>>:[...midrange power, roll-ons...]
:>>[...FJs still win in this category...]

:>[...confirmed in _Cycle_ magazine...]

FJs can turn.

V-Maxes, well, uh, only if you're Jay Cena.

--
Chris BeHanna DoD# 114 KotSTA Ed Green 1975 CB360T - Baby Bike
beh...@syl.nj.nec.com Fan Club #004 1991 ZX-11 - Zexy

Only in America can a homeless veteran sleep in a cardboard box while a draft
dodger sleeps in the White House.

Jerry Fields

Aug 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/16/95
In article <95081704...@welcom.gen.nz>, peter...@welcom.gen.nz
(Peter Jones) wrote:

<Snip-matic, carb theory)

> If four cylinder bike carbs fed into a common manifold, then they
> could have two primary carbs and two vacuum secondaries, which would give
> good down low response and economy, and still have plenty on top. Any
> opinions?
> Peter

Forget it...just go for fuel injection. Add turbocharging if you really
want to get mid and upper range peformance, or a blower for maximum
all-range performance.

For any who are not familiar with the differences...a turbo is exhaust-gas
driven, and must spin at some threshold level to begin significant
pressurization of the intake manifold. Thus, they have little or no effect
at idle or low RPM. Blowers are mechanically driven, thus can be geared to
produce a positive output at lower RPMs. Older turbos had a lag between
the time you hit the gas and the time the turbo kicked in; but this has
been reduced in the last few years.

I would guess the FI, with its ability to get pretty sophisticated with 02
sensors, atmospheric pressure sensors, knock sensing technology in the
ignition, et all, would produce better performance than multiple
primary/secondary carbs on a bike. Have seen, but never driven,
turbo-equipped bikes.

Anyone out there have the chance to compare same or similar bikes, one
carburated, one a fuelie? How about turbo vs non-turbo?

--
Jerry Fields (DoD#1697)
'87 Audi 5K CST, '83 Toyota, '84 Ford E-150, '83 Yamaha XS 400 Maxim, 3 cats, 1 wife, 2 kids, 3 snowmobiles and a dog."Life is Interesting!"

Henry H Hansteen

Aug 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/16/95
Sensory Overload (B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu) wrote:

: Sorry, I didn't realise that Yamaha was intending the VMAx to be a
: learne'rs bike.....

Actually, even an experienced rider can get into trouble with the
kind of power the MAX puts out. Once you learn how to handle the
145 stock horses, you rip out the butterflies, throw on the jet kit,
filters and exaust, and run 9 sec 1/4's.

: I can understand that type of attitude (one reason why the ignition
: of the '95 GSX-R1100 is severely retarded when in first gear), but
: don't you think that when the V-boost suddenly comes on and the bike
: starts making full power when before it was barely making any that
: that could conceivably cause loss of control for inexperienced riders?

Barely making any? How dare you sas the King in such a disrespectful
maner. First off, the MAX is making ungodly amounts of power even while
idling. Second, the V-boost comes on gradually to keep the back tire
from going up in smoke, or raising the front end end too high. The really
macho riders can handle it if they're very careful. Definately not a
machine for ordinary riders, though. Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Henry

Todd Philipps

Aug 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/16/95

Check out rec.motorcycles.racing.
are you talking road racing, motocross, supercross or arenacross?

Henry H Hansteen

Aug 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/16/95
Sensory Overload (B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu) wrote:

: No, it doens't give the bike a 35mph higher top speed, but the two

: bikes are different enough in other aspects. Like, say, the gearing?
: The ZX-11 is geared pretty tall to accomadate that 175mph top speed.
: Is the Vmax gearing the same as the ZX-11's? I think not, I'm willing
: to bet it's a little bit shorter to help in the acceleration
: department.

A couple of questions. First, does the zx-11 really do 175 real world
mph? Has anone here achieved that speed with one? Second, 175 minus 35
equals 140. I rode my V-MAX (when stock) to 150 mph. So, even if the zx-11
does do 175 (which I find hard to believe), it's a 25 mph difference.
25 mph which, I might add, few riders will ever experience.
Henry

Sensory Overload

Aug 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/17/95
In <40tf07$f...@newsstand.cit.cornell.edu> hh...@crux2.cit.cornell.edu writes:

: Sensory Overload (B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu) wrote:
:
: : No, it doens't give the bike a 35mph higher top speed, but the two
: : bikes are different enough in other aspects. Like, say, the gearing?
: : The ZX-11 is geared pretty tall to accomadate that 175mph top speed.
: : Is the Vmax gearing the same as the ZX-11's? I think not, I'm willing
: : to bet it's a little bit shorter to help in the acceleration
: : department.
:
: A couple of questions. First, does the zx-11 really do 175 real world
: mph? Has anone here achieved that speed with one? Second, 175 minus 35
: equals 140. I rode my V-MAX (when stock) to 150 mph. So, even if the zx-11

You mean '150 indicated mph', don't you?

: does do 175 (which I find hard to believe), it's a 25 mph difference.

Why do you find it hard to believe? Modified ZX-11s can do 215mph.

The ZX-11 makes more peak horsepower than the V-Max. The ZX-11 is
more aerodynamic than the V-Max. You don't think that these factors
can cause that 25mph difference?

: 25 mph which, I might add, few riders will ever experience.

True enough, but I think there's more to it than just pure top speed.
From what I hear, the ZX-11 is a great sport-touring machine (never
rode one myself), comfortable enough to go as fast or as slow as you
want all day, and handles well (tho of course not to the same level as
the race reps). The V-Max, on the other hand, looks like a more
focused bike, not really well-suited for distance riding (this is not
to say that it isn't possible).

Kjell Arild Sandvik

Aug 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/17/95

B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu (Sensory Overload) wrote:

>In <40tf07$f...@newsstand.cit.cornell.edu> hh...@crux2.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>:
>: A couple of questions. First, does the zx-11 really do 175 real world
>: mph? Has anone here achieved that speed with one? Second, 175 minus 35
>: equals 140. I rode my V-MAX (when stock) to 150 mph. So, even if the zx-11
>
>You mean '150 indicated mph', don't you?
>
>: does do 175 (which I find hard to believe), it's a 25 mph difference.
>
>Why do you find it hard to believe? Modified ZX-11s can do 215mph.
>
>The ZX-11 makes more peak horsepower than the V-Max. The ZX-11 is
>more aerodynamic than the V-Max. You don't think that these factors
>can cause that 25mph difference?
-------
Read a test 'bout a year or so ago of the new ZZR1100 (ZX-11). I think this was
when the '95 was released, but it might have been the '94. (where did the time
go...) I do however remember the headline: 300 IS NOW REALITY! (300 is 300 km/h or
186 mph.) The test driver just passed 300 on the needle, and said the bike had
still more available. Let's say the speedo was indicating 10% to much, which isn't
rare. This will give you 270 real Km/h or 168 mph. It still had more......

Regarding the Max compared to such bikes. I got an article from Cycle World
yesterday from one of our fellow net'ers about the Cobra customized Suzuki
Intruder 1400. (Nice bike!!)
I quote: "Snicked into top gear, a stock Intruder takes but 3.1 seconds to go from
40-60 mph; that's quicker than a Honda CBR900RR, quicker than a Kawasaki ZX-11,
quicker than a Suzuki GSX-R 1100. Sixty to 80 mph comes in an equally arm tugging
3.4 seconds. Among current streetbikes, ONLY YAMAHA'S MIGHTY V-MAX BESTS A STOCK
INTRUDER 1400 IN BOTH CATEGORIES, and the cobra bike"........ and so on

Says a little about the Max's strenght I believe. Of course, this is at quite low
rpm, where the sportbikes are weak, but anyway.....

| Kjell Arild Sandvik Scandinavian Airlines Data Norway AS |
| Tel.: Job: (+47)67 59 80 14 Home:(+47)22 23 48 90 |
| |
| Bamsemums MC #002 http://www.powertech.no/~morteas/index.html |
| '93 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder |
| |
| Cave ursem ferocem |

Chris BeHanna

Aug 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/17/95

:>I wrote:

:>: >This surprises me, since it's already the worlds fastest and most
:>: >powerfull bike. Nothing even comes close to the MAX.

:>: What about the ZX-11? I think it is a little faster in the quarter
:>: mile and has a higher top speed!

:> That was flame bait. Got a bite, but not as much action as I hoped for.
:>Yeah, a zx11 might beat a V-MAX on a lucky day, but it doesn't have the
:>unique look, or universal recognition of the MAX.

Thank God.

--
Chris BeHanna DoD# 114 KotSTA Ed Green 1975 CB360T - Baby Bike
beh...@syl.nj.nec.com Fan Club #004 1991 ZX-11 - Zexy
kore wa NEC no iken de gozaimasen. FOLMA #17 1973 RD350A - seized
Why is Lon Horiuchi still breathing? 1987 EX500 - the RaceBike

Only in America can a homeless veteran sleep in a cardboard box while a draft
dodger sleeps in the White House.

P.S. ZX's *turn* at high speeds. This is a big advantage over the V-MAX at
the end of the straight. :-)

Henry H Hansteen

Aug 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/17/95
Sensory Overload (B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu) wrote:

: You mean '150 indicated mph', don't you?

Yup. A little blurry, but indicated.

: The ZX-11 makes more peak horsepower than the V-Max. The ZX-11 is

: more aerodynamic than the V-Max. You don't think that these factors
: can cause that 25mph difference?

25mph I can believe, 35mph I questioned. Of course, I own a V-MAX, not a
zx-11. If I owned a zx-11, I'd be telling a different story (and putting
zx-11 in caps). You gotta stick up for your bike.
Henry

Sensory Overload

Aug 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/18/95
In <40vlpu$l...@newsstand.cit.cornell.edu> hh...@crux2.cit.cornell.edu writes:

: Sensory Overload (B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu) wrote:
:
: : You mean '150 indicated mph', don't you?
:
: Yup. A little blurry, but indicated.

OK......

: : The ZX-11 makes more peak horsepower than the V-Max. The ZX-11 is

: : more aerodynamic than the V-Max. You don't think that these factors
: : can cause that 25mph difference?
:
: 25mph I can believe, 35mph I questioned. Of course, I own a V-MAX, not a
: zx-11. If I owned a zx-11, I'd be telling a different story (and putting
: zx-11 in caps). You gotta stick up for your bike.

True enough. I'm glad, Henry, that we were able to resolve this
dispute without resorting to flam............something's wrong here,
very VERY wrong.........I feel dizzy.......don't know where I am.....
I'm feeling so confused.............somebody help me, please.......
help me.....................

Henry H Hansteen

Aug 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/18/95
Chris BeHanna (beh...@syl.nj.nec.com) wrote:

: Only in America can a homeless veteran sleep in a cardboard box while a draft

: dodger sleeps in the White House.

I thought Danny Quayle slept in the midwest somewhere.

Ged Martin

Aug 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/18/95
.edu><411kmm$25...@news.cuny.edu> <412gos$6...@also.hooked.net>
Date: Friday, Aug 18, 1995 18.15.37

In article: <412gos$6...@also.hooked.net> info...@also.hooked.net (Louise
Hornor) writes:

> In rec.motorcycles B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu (Sensory Overload) said:
>

> >True enough. I'm glad, Henry, that we were able to resolve this dispute

> >without resorting to flam............something's wrong here, very VERY
> >wrong.........I feel dizzy.......don't know where I am..... I'm feeling
> >so
> >
> >confused.............somebody help me, please....... help
> >me.....................
> >

> Oop! She's out cold. SOLO#'s, anyone?

Me first!!!!

Ged | You talking at me?
DoD #5088 | Are you talkin' to me?
MAG #90983 | Who are you talking to?

Benjamin Justin Cain

Aug 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/18/95
Steve Moonitz (ste...@ew.timeinc.com) wrote:

: And where, pray tell, does the draft-dodging Speaker of the House sleep?
: Not, on a regular basis, in Georgia with his wife (his 2nd wife) according
: to his aides.

Nice "Family Values" on that guy, huh? Probably too busy organizing the
upcoming Republican Revolution *shudder* . I hope the coed I recommended
to him is as much help has he thought she would be...

Steve B

Aug 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/18/95

You thought wrong. Quale did not dodge the draft, he joined the reserves.
His unit was not called to active duty.

However, the White House sleeper did dodge the draft.

Steve B

My opinions - NOT my employers

Louise Hornor

Aug 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/18/95
In rec.motorcycles B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu (Sensory Overload) said:

>True enough. I'm glad, Henry, that we were able to resolve this dispute
>without resorting to flam............something's wrong here, very VERY
>wrong.........I feel dizzy.......don't know where I am..... I'm feeling so

>confused.............somebody help me, please....... help
>me.....................

Oop! She's out cold. SOLO#'s, anyone?

Louise

dan snider

Aug 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/18/95
hh...@crux2.cit.cornell.edu (Henry H Hansteen) writes:

>Chris BeHanna wrote:
>
>:Only in America can a homeless veteran sleep in a cardboard box while a draft
>:dodger sleeps in the White House.
>
> I thought Danny Quayle slept in the midwest somewhere.

Save the money you normally donate to the Clinton defense fund
and upgrade your bike.

-dan

Steve Moonitz

Aug 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/18/95
In article <412ev9$k...@cnn.exu.ericsson.se>, Steve B
<eus.e...@memo.ericsson.se> wrote:

> hh...@crux2.cit.cornell.edu (Henry H Hansteen) wrote:

> >Chris BeHanna (beh...@syl.nj.nec.com) wrote:
> >
> >: Only in America can a homeless veteran sleep in a cardboard box while
a draft
> >: dodger sleeps in the White House.
> >
> > I thought Danny Quayle slept in the midwest somewhere.
>

> You thought wrong. Quale did not dodge the draft, he joined the reserves.
> His unit was not called to active duty.

Picking nits here, aren't we??

> However, the White House sleeper did dodge the draft.

And where, pray tell, does the draft-dodging Speaker of the House sleep?

Not, on a regular basis, in Georgia with his wife (his 2nd wife) according
to his aides.

L8tr,

Steve | When in doubt, gas itÅ
'92 Ducati 900ss | It may not solve the problem,
AMA #271481 | but it ends the suspense
DoD #2319 CC #006
My employer isn't responsible for the opinions above; I'm not completely responsible, period.

YOSA...@uga.cc.uga.edu

Aug 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/19/95
In article <stevem-1808951501070001@steve_moonitz.timeinc.com>

ste...@ew.timeinc.com (Steve Moonitz) writes:

>In article <412ev9$k...@cnn.exu.ericsson.se>, Steve B
><eus.e...@memo.ericsson.se> wrote:
>
>> hh...@crux2.cit.cornell.edu (Henry H Hansteen) wrote:
>> >Chris BeHanna (beh...@syl.nj.nec.com) wrote:
>> >
>> >: Only in America can a homeless veteran sleep in a cardboard box while
>a draft
>> >: dodger sleeps in the White House.
>> >
>> > I thought Danny Quayle slept in the midwest somewhere.
>>
>> You thought wrong. Quale did not dodge the draft, he joined the reserves.
>> His unit was not called to active duty.
>
>Picking nits here, aren't we??

Hell, if nits are to be picked, he joined the Indiana National Guard. And it's
Quayle. JFC, if you're going to be reactionary, at least have some pretense of
accuracy.

> > However, the White House sleeper did dodge the draft.
>
>And where, pray tell, does the draft-dodging Speaker of the House sleep?
>Not, on a regular basis, in Georgia with his wife (his 2nd wife) according
>to his aides.
>
>L8tr,
>
>Steve | When in doubt, gas it

>'92 Ducati 900ss | It may not solve the problem,

Craig West

Aug 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/19/95
Steve B (eus.e...@memo.ericsson.se) wrote:
: hh...@crux2.cit.cornell.edu (Henry H Hansteen) wrote:
: >Chris BeHanna (beh...@syl.nj.nec.com) wrote:
: >
: >: Only in America can a homeless veteran sleep in a cardboard box while a draft
: >: dodger sleeps in the White House.
: >
: > I thought Danny Quayle slept in the midwest somewhere.
:
: You thought wrong. Quale did not dodge the draft, he joined the reserves.
: His unit was not called to active duty.
:
: However, the White House sleeper did dodge the draft.
:
: Steve B

:
: My opinions - NOT my employers
:
I'd loke to dodge the draft, but my bike doesn't have a fairing.

--
Craig West Ph: (905) 821-8300 |1978 Honda CB750K Big Black Beast
Pulse Microsystems Fx: (905) 821-7331 |1975 Honda CB360T (RIP)

Steve B

Aug 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/19/95
ste...@ew.timeinc.com (Steve Moonitz) wrote:

<snip>

>> >: Only in America can a homeless veteran sleep in a cardboard box while
>a draft
>> >: dodger sleeps in the White House.
>> >
>> > I thought Danny Quayle slept in the midwest somewhere.
>>
>> You thought wrong. Quale did not dodge the draft, he joined the reserves.
>> His unit was not called to active duty.
>

>Picking nits here, aren't we??

Not really, Quale made a commitment and he kept it.
The white house sleeper made a commitment then broke it.
Big difference.

> > However, the White House sleeper did dodge the draft.
>

>And where, pray tell, does the draft-dodging Speaker of the House sleep?
>Not, on a regular basis, in Georgia with his wife (his 2nd wife) according
>to his aides.

Having no argument you try to obfuscate the point by bringing others
into the topic.

However, the Speaker sleeps across the street from the Congress building
(while Congress is in session) in what has been described as a modest
room.

Also, since you brought it up tell me, how was the Speaker a Draft Dodger
(he broke no commitment, he did not run to Canada and hide)??

Steve B

Aug 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/19/95
bjc...@tam2000.tamu.edu (Benjamin Justin Cain) wrote:
>Steve Moonitz (ste...@ew.timeinc.com) wrote:
>
>: And where, pray tell, does the draft-dodging Speaker of the House sleep?

>: Not, on a regular basis, in Georgia with his wife (his 2nd wife) according
>: to his aides.
>
>Nice "Family Values" on that guy, huh? Probably too busy organizing the
>upcoming Republican Revolution *shudder* . I hope the coed I recommended
>to him is as much help has he thought she would be...

Nice attempt at slamming the Speaker by NOT telling the whole story. He
sleeps across the street from the Congress building in what has been
described as a modest room.

Do you have some special knowledge here of some wrongdoing?

Otherwise school boy, if you have nothing substantive to post go away and
take your timeinc.com (liberal rag) freind with you.

John M. Barron

Aug 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/20/95
Kjell Arild Sandvik <k...@sasdata.no> wrote:

>Intruder 1400. (Nice bike!!)
>I quote: "Snicked into top gear, a stock Intruder takes but 3.1 seconds to go from
>40-60 mph; that's quicker than a Honda CBR900RR, quicker than a Kawasaki ZX-11,
>quicker than a Suzuki GSX-R 1100. Sixty to 80 mph comes in an equally arm tugging
>3.4 seconds. Among current streetbikes,

I was able to ride a 95 Intruder 1400 at a local dealers open house. I was amazed
with the performance of what I thought would be a cruser with a chugger for a motor.
I was able to dust just about anything in sight with no gear changes at all... All
bikes should be that easy to ride!

Steve Manes

Aug 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/20/95
Steve B (eus.e...@memo.ericsson.se) wrote:
: Not really, Quale made a commitment and he kept it.

: The white house sleeper made a commitment then broke it.
: Big difference.

That's some pretty serious historical revisionism. Quayle had had his
classification physical and was in the pool for the next draft call-up.
Instead of accepting his "commitment" and his patriotic responsibility to
serve in the regular army, he tried to enlist in the Indiana National Guard
to evade it. He wasn't alone in this because Indiana, like most states, had
a two-year waiting list for acceptance to the Guard.

So Dan was presented with his second opportunity to own up to this
"commitment", put his ass where his mouth was and go fight for his country.
Instead, his daddy, a very wealthy Indiana newspaper publisher, worked a few
political connections for him. As fate would have it, the commander of the
Indiana National Guard was on Daddy Quayle's payroll, just a year or two shy
of pension retirement. I'm sure there was no connection between this and
the fact that Quayle jumped over two thousand prior applicants' heads to be
accepted to the last Nat'l Guard training battalion before Uncle Sam sent
the rest of his contemporaries off to the rice paddies to keep their
"commitments".

The "white house sleeper", as you put it, was legally eligible for a student
1-Y deferment, the same as a million other college students at the time,
including my brother who finished his education and went on to serve two
tours of duty in Vietnam as an F4 pilot. If he had been smart enough to
land a Rhodes scholarship you can bet your sweet ass he would have taken it
too. Unlike Quayle, Clinton never had an active selective service rating so
which "commitment" are you accusing him of breaking?

YOSA...@uga.cc.uga.edu

Aug 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/20/95
In article <DDLDA...@magpie.com>
Now you've put your foot in it ....but well said. It's not like Wild Bill
doesn't say/do enough foolishly, that things have to be made up to make him
look silly. Quayle samee-same.

ObMoto:
OTOH, I have a picture of Mr President when he was just another stumper on the
trail sitting on one of Milwaukee's Finest, City of Milwaukee PD FXRP. He's not
wearing a helmet, if it matters, just a grin.

Paul

Mike Fleming

Aug 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/20/95
In article <950818192...@post.demon.co.uk>
g...@gmartin.demon.co.uk "Ged Martin" writes:

> .edu><411kmm$25...@news.cuny.edu> <412gos$6...@also.hooked.net>
> Date: Friday, Aug 18, 1995 18.15.37

Wonder why this is here?

That's why!

> In article: <412gos$6...@also.hooked.net> info...@also.hooked.net (Louise
> Hornor) writes:
> >

> Me first!!!!

Pah. Get into the porridge queue, LO#-less one, let a _real_ man take
first place.

--
Mike (DF) Fleming MAG #79794 DoD #4446 Greenpeace #567708F

JKLO #004 KotWP7

Shagger101

Aug 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/21/95
What does all this have to do with the v-max?

Steve B

Aug 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/21/95
ma...@magpie.com (Steve Manes) wrote:

>That's some pretty serious historical revisionism. Quayle had had his
>classification physical and was in the pool for the next draft call-up.
>Instead of accepting his "commitment" and his patriotic responsibility to
>serve in the regular army, he tried to enlist in the Indiana National Guard

No revisionism at all.
What I stated may not have had all of the (questionable) detail you
provide but there was nothing which revised what happened.

Since Quayle's status was changed and he was not yet drafted, exactly
what commitment are you trying to say he broke? A change in draft status
doesn't automatically require voluntary enlistment. He had an opportunity
to apply for the reserves and he did.

>to evade it. He wasn't alone in this because Indiana, like most states, had
>a two-year waiting list for acceptance to the Guard.

What does a two year wait have to do with this?

>So Dan was presented with his second opportunity to own up to this
>"commitment", put his ass where his mouth was and go fight for his country.

He was not drafted and he volunteered for the reservers. He was accepted.
He honored his commitment.

#1 A change in draft status does NOT mean you have to volunteer. You have
to be drafted, Quayle wasn't. He honored his reserve commitment.

#2 NOT all draftees were sent to VietNam, and certainly NOT ALL of his
contemporaries were not sent there either.

>The "white house sleeper", as you put it, was legally eligible for a student
>1-Y deferment, the same as a million other college students at the time,

I do not seem to recall the govt. issuing student deferments for grad.
school. Was not his student deferment about to expire? Is that not why he
joined the ROTC?

Up to this point Billy Jeff did not dodge the draft. He exercised his
legal rights. It was when he wrote the letter to his ROTC commander about
loathing the military that he reneged on his commitment.
Wasn't that letter written at the time they wanted him to honor his
commitment to the ROTC?

>including my brother who finished his education and went on to serve two
>tours of duty in Vietnam as an F4 pilot.

May I most sincerely state my thanks and utmost respect for your brother.

If he had been smart enough to
>land a Rhodes scholarship you can bet your sweet ass he would have taken it
>too.

Common misconception. A Rhodes scholarship is a political scholarship.
Somehow they (Rhodes) have managed to give the impression that it is
strictly for scholastic acheivement.

Also, maybe they should have given the scholarship to someone who was
intellegent enough to COMPLETE it (I guess he broke his commitment there
too).

Unlike Quayle, Clinton never had an active selective service rating so
>which "commitment" are you accusing him of breaking?

Check again on Clinton's commitment to the ROTC, which he (legally)
joined to avoid the draft, then broke.

By the way, last I heard, Quayle was sleeping somewhere in Indiana and
was all but politically dead.

Clinton, does sleep in the White House.

Lastly, what does Quayle have to do with this anyway? You seem to have
cut out the part of my previous post about OBSFUCATION.

Benjamin Justin Cain

Aug 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/21/95
Steve B (eus.e...@memo.ericsson.se) wrote:
: >
: >Nice "Family Values" on that guy, huh? Probably too busy organizing the
: >upcoming Republican Revolution *shudder* . I hope the coed I recommended
: >to him is as much help has he thought she would be...
:
: Nice attempt at slamming the Speaker by NOT telling the whole story. He
: sleeps across the street from the Congress building in what has been
: described as a modest room.

: Do you have some special knowledge here of some wrongdoing?

: Otherwise school boy, if you have nothing substantive to post go away and
: take your timeinc.com (liberal rag) freind with you.

I love it. I think I'll mount you over the fireplace, next to my autographed
picture of President Clinton.

I really couldn't care less about American Politics; Liars and Thieves, all
of them. But I do *love* teasing all of you whimpering, sulky Republicans.
You lost the last election. Get over it. Honestly, I have never SEEN such
a whiney display of sour-grapes attitude in all my life. It's disgraceful
and I'm sorry to see it on rec.moto., much less in Washington and around
the country. It is this kind of childish, bipartisan bickering that is
responsible for a good deal of our government's ineffectiveness, and to
me, it's a shame.

So, speaking of nothing substantive to post Steve, this (in case you hadn't
noticed) is a motorcycles newsgroup. So why don't you just go poke your
head back up Limbaugh's fat ass (where the whole world makes better sense
to you anyway) and keep your defensive, straight-ticket drivel to yourself.

Henry H Hansteen

Aug 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/21/95
Steve Manes (ma...@magpie.com) wrote:

An acurate review explaining why danny quayle (along with most other
republicans) is a low life hypocritical scumbag.

Thanks for the facts, Steve. I knew the story went something like
that, but didn't have the details down.
Henry

Chris BeHanna

Aug 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/21/95
In article <40tehb$f...@newsstand.cit.cornell.edu> Henry H Hansteen (hh...@crux2.cit.cornell.edu) wrote:
:>Sensory Overload (B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu) wrote:

:>: Sorry, I didn't realise that Yamaha was intending the VMAx to be a
:>: learne'rs bike.....

:> Actually, even an experienced rider can get into trouble with the
:>kind of power the MAX puts out. Once you learn how to handle the
:>145 stock horses, you rip out the butterflies, throw on the jet kit,
:>filters and exaust, and run 9 sec 1/4's.

145 horses? Where? Under the seat? No stock V-MAX made produces
145 horses at the rear wheel.

:>[...more testosterone deleted...]

--
Chris BeHanna DoD# 114 KotSTA Ed Green 1975 CB360T - Baby Bike
beh...@syl.nj.nec.com Fan Club #004 1991 ZX-11 - Zexy
kore wa NEC no iken de gozaimasen. FOLMA #17 1973 RD350A - seized
Why is Lon Horiuchi still breathing? 1987 EX500 - the RaceBike

Only in America can a homeless veteran sleep in a cardboard box while a draft

Chris BeHanna

Aug 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/21/95
In article <40tf07$f...@newsstand.cit.cornell.edu> Henry H Hansteen (hh...@crux2.cit.cornell.edu) wrote:
:>Sensory Overload (B4...@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu) wrote:

:>: No, it doens't give the bike a 35mph higher top speed, but the two

:>: bikes are different enough in other aspects. Like, say, the gearing?
:>: The ZX-11 is geared pretty tall to accomadate that 175mph top speed.
:>: Is the Vmax gearing the same as the ZX-11's? I think not, I'm willing
:>: to bet it's a little bit shorter to help in the acceleration
:>: department.

:> A couple of questions. First, does the zx-11 really do 175 real world
:>mph?

Yes, it does, as measured by _MotorCyclist_ on a dry lake bed with a
radar gun.

:>Has anone here achieved that speed with one?

I haven't. I've only been to 135mph, and the bike had so much left it
was frightening. The damned thing wasn't even working hard.

:>Second, 175 minus 35 equals 140. I rode my V-MAX (when stock) to 150 mph.

Indicated or real-world? An indicated 150mph may actually be only a
real-world 135-140mph, given typical speedometer error.

:>So, even if the zx-11 does do 175 (which I find hard to believe),

Believe it.

:>it's a 25 mph difference.
:>25 mph which, I might add, few riders will ever experience.

The difference between 175 and 150 to those who've actually done 'em
(I've done 140-150 on a bike, but not on Zexy) is most likely tremendous to
the folks who've done 'em.

Hell, just slowing down 5 mph on surface streets at "normal" speeds
makes a large perceptible difference in the effort required to scan driveways,
in my experience anyway.

Chris BeHanna

Aug 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/21/95
In article <413csh$c...@noc.tor.hookup.net> Craig West (al...@noc.tor.hookup.net) wrote:

:>Steve B (eus.e...@memo.ericsson.se) wrote:
:>: hh...@crux2.cit.cornell.edu (Henry H Hansteen) wrote:
:>: >

:>:
:>: However, the White House sleeper did dodge the draft.
:>:
:>: Steve B

:>:
:>I'd loke to dodge the draft, but my bike doesn't have a fairing.

I nominate this for post of the week.

Chris BeHanna

Aug 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/21/95
In article <DDLDA...@magpie.com> Steve Manes (ma...@magpie.com) wrote:
:>Steve B (eus.e...@memo.ericsson.se) wrote:
:>: Not really, Quale made a commitment and he kept it.

:>: The white house sleeper made a commitment then broke it.
:>: Big difference.

:>[...strings Quayle's daddy pulled...]

As I keep saying, but people keep ignoring anyway: no one party has
a monopoly on sleazebags.

:>The "white house sleeper", as you put it, was legally eligible for a student

:>1-Y deferment, the same as a million other college students at the time,

:>including my brother who finished his education and went on to serve two
:>tours of duty in Vietnam as an F4 pilot. If he had been smart enough to

:>land a Rhodes scholarship you can bet your sweet ass he would have taken it
:>too.

My respects to your brother. I have no respect, however, for Clinton,
who, although he won that scholarship, never completed the associated
schooling, consorted with the enemy while in Europe, and wrote letters speaking
of his disrespect for the military while abroad.

What he did may have been legal, but it makes it no less draft dodging,
IMHO.

:>Unlike Quayle, Clinton never had an active selective service rating so

:>which "commitment" are you accusing him of breaking?

Starting then or starting now?

Henry H Hansteen

Aug 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/21/95
Steve B (eus.e...@memo.ericsson.se) wrote:

: You thought wrong. Quale did not dodge the draft, he joined the reserves.
: His unit was not called to active duty.
: However, the White House sleeper did dodge the draft.

Check it out, the V-MAX thread has evolved into a politcal discussion.
I'm not really in the mood to explain why I feel this way, but to sum it
all up;

Conservatives suck - Liberals are cool.

Here's a quote from The Washington Spectator.

If republicans can get away with calling what is happening on Capitol hill
"Environmental Reform", then the Nazi blitz of London during WWII could have
been called urban renewal.
Henry

Greg Henderson

Aug 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/22/95

In article <41b912$h...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, shagg...@aol.com (Shagger101) writes:
|> What does all this have to do with the v-max?
----

Which "this" are you talking about? You quoted nothing!!!!!!!!

Therefore, your post has everything to do about the v-max,
and nothing to do about nothing, therefore your response
doesn't float, so your not a witch!

Julius Cisek

Aug 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/22/95
I don't mind the discussion, but could you guys change the Subject field on
your messages so that I don't get excited every time I see them...

--

~Jules (Julius Andrew Cisek) /- __. - mailto:ju...@netscape.com
Netscape Communications /\ >\=/\ --- http://home.mcom.com/people/jules

Julius Cisek

Aug 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/22/95
hey Hey HEY!!

1. Comparing the V-Max and the ZX-11 is pointless. They're not the same
class of bike. Everyone knows the ZX-11 is faster. But imho, it doesn't
look any different than 100 other sport bikes. The V-Max is much more
unique. Both bikes are obscene but they appeal to totally different people.

How about if we talk about how cool both bikes are without trying to
valiantly defend our particular machines?

2. I don't think Quayle rides either the ZX-11 or the V-Max. Is this really
the place to announce conservative or liberal tendencies? No... So spare
those of us who are just interested in the freedom to ride, okay?

Steve Moonitz

Aug 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/22/95
In article <4158lt$a...@cnn.exu.ericsson.se>, Steve B
<eus.e...@memo.ericsson.se> wrote:

> bjc...@tam2000.tamu.edu (Benjamin Justin Cain) wrote:
> >Steve Moonitz (ste...@ew.timeinc.com) wrote:
> >
> >: And where, pray tell, does the draft-dodging Speaker of the House sleep?
> >: Not, on a regular basis, in Georgia with his wife (his 2nd wife) according
> >: to his aides.
> >

> >Nice "Family Values" on that guy, huh? Probably too busy organizing the
> >upcoming Republican Revolution *shudder* . I hope the coed I recommended
> >to him is as much help has he thought she would be...
>
> Nice attempt at slamming the Speaker by NOT telling the whole story. He
> sleeps across the street from the Congress building in what has been
> described as a modest room.
>
> Do you have some special knowledge here of some wrongdoing?
>
> Otherwise school boy, if you have nothing substantive to post go away and
> take your timeinc.com (liberal rag) freind with you.

Get a hint of a clue. I don't work for Time magazine--a "liberal rag," how
original and eloquent, your family must have been so proud when you became
its first member to graduate from the fourth grade. TimeInc. is a company.
Are you such a backwoods, jerkwater moron that you believe that a company
with thousands of employees hires people based solely on their political
beliefs?

I'm not a Democrat, Republican, Conservative or Liberal; I'm a registered
Independent. Chrispy BeHanna said it best:

> As I keep saying, but people keep ignoring anyway: no one party has
> a monopoly on sleazebags.

I'm not a Clinton fan because he doesn't stick to what he says; I think
Quayle is a fool and a political lightweight (backed by a shrewd,
manipulating wife, shades of Nancy); and I see Gingrich as an outrageous
hypocrite.

ObMoto: Does any political party have a plank in its platform vowing to
stand up against discrimination against motorcyclists?

ObJoke: Whats the differance between Rush Limbaugh and the Hindenburg? One
is a flaming Nazi gasbag and the other was a dirigable.

L8tr,

Steve | When in doubt, gas itÅ

dan snider

Aug 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/22/95
In <41bsil$q...@flop.mcom.com>, Julius Cisek <ju...@netscape.com> writes:

>2. I don't think Quayle rides either the ZX-11 or the V-Max. Is this really
>the place to announce conservative or liberal tendencies? No... So spare
>those of us who are just interested in the freedom to ride, okay?

Our "freedom to ride" is hampered by these so-called 'liberals'
more than you may imagine. Take a guess which group would like
to limit horsepower, lower speed limits and remove off-road
access to bikes.

-dan

It is loading more messages.