What is highest noise reduction rating in earplugs?

Vincerama

Jul 16, 2001, 7:37:37 PM7/16/01
Someone is asking for the quietest helmet, to go along with his NRR 30db
earplugs. I was just wondering what the highest NRR is? Is it 33? Is it
safe to ride with TOTAL hearing reduction? (ie; as if you were deaf?)

There have been a lot of earplug threads going on lately and now I'm
paranoid about going deaf!

Incidentally, the best prices I've found on the internet were on a site
linked to by an earlier thread...

http://www.onhandsafety.com/catalog/hearingprotection/earplugs.htm

If the earplugs are equivalent, this has got to be the best deal! They sell
Howard Leight Laser-lite plugs 1 pair per bag, 200 bags per box ... $16.80
per box!

Compare that to Hearos, 40 PLUGS (not 40 pairs!) for $14.99!

Something doesn't seem right here (hear!) since you basically get four
HUNDRED plugs for the price that Hearos sells 40!

Or maybe it's that volume discount thing, I dunno. Check it out.
I'll tell you if I end up getting ripped off, as I ordered one box.

Sean Aron

Jul 16, 2001, 11:26:12 PM7/16/01
You can get a set of cheap foam ones at your local music store. $1.99
for a set.

Musician friends (who all have $200 custom made earplugs for playing)
all say that cheap foam plugs generally work the best. Don't blow the
cash on musicians' plugs or anything...they'll block out less noise.

Highest I've seen is 30 db reduction.

Nikita Synytskyy

Jul 17, 2001, 8:07:23 AM7/17/01

"Sherpa Dave" <ro...@127.0.0.1> wrote

> Highest I *own* is 33db, and they cost *well* under a buck. They're also
> comfortable foam, instead of that gawdawful maytheinventorburninhell
> cylindrical yellow shit.

You plug your ears with rolls of ear wax? :)

Nikita.

Peter Berghs

Jul 17, 2001, 11:46:39 PM7/17/01
Gotta ask at what frequency the reduction is measured at. Typically the
lowest valuee occurs at low frequencies (125 hz). For disposable the
highest I've seen is 37.4 dB at 125 Hz (EAR classic...the yellow foam
jobs)

If you go by the NRR standard the highest I've seen is 33 dB for the
Howard Leight MAX.

PB.

_Bob Nixon_

Jul 18, 2001, 12:16:27 AM7/18/01
On Tue, 17 Jul 2001 06:42:28 GMT, ro...@127.0.0.1 (Sherpa Dave) wrote:

[...]

>>Highest I've seen is 30 db reduction.
>

>Highest I *own* is 33db, and they cost *well* under a buck. They're also
>comfortable foam, instead of that gawdawful maytheinventorburninhell
>cylindrical yellow shit.

I gotta ask if one's head is capable of attenuating sound by a factor
of >2000 (33db) from 20hz to 20Khz? Wind noise, the main culprit, is
similar to broad band "white noise".

I use those foamy things and still get lots of wind noise. My best
noise reduction is coming down from high altitude but as soon as I
swallow (pop ears), the noise returns.

01 Sprint ST "RED"
Bob Nixon
http://members.home.net/bigrex/

Frobnitz

Jul 18, 2001, 1:20:28 PM7/18/01
"Vincerama" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in
<9ivts3$un5$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>:

> Someone is asking for the quietest helmet, to go along with his NRR
> 30db earplugs. I was just wondering what the highest NRR is? Is it 33?
> Is it safe to ride with TOTAL hearing reduction? (ie; as if you were
> deaf?)

I've used several different types of earplugs lately, as my green Max-Lites
finally gave up the ghost a few weeks ago. It was a helluva run for
'disposable' plugs that cost mere pennies, though.

I showed my plugs to my boss, and asked where I could buy some more. He had
someone scrounge up a large assortment of plugs that they had just sitting
around the shop. All I wanted was an answer along the lines of "we get ours
from X shop over on Y street", so I could get some more, but instead he
gave me an envelope with the following types of plugs:

1) several different kinds of crappy yellow cylindrical foam ones (E.A.R.)-
I didn't bother trying these, since I already know they suck. Difficult to
insert, not very comfortable when you do finally get them in, and difficult
to remove as well.

2) Howard Leight Max (red)
http://www.howardleight.com/Industrial/Products/max.html
At NRR 33, I feel that these are overkill. I can't hear jack shit with
them, except for some of the higher frequency wind noise. I don't recommend
these, since you should still be able to hear other traffic, horns,
emergency vehicles, etc. Also, they don't have the nice 'handles' that the
max-lite and laser-lite models have, so they aren't as easy to remove.

3) Howard Leight Quiet (orange, reusable)
http://www.howardleight.com/Industrial/Products/quiet.html
These are NRR 26. Easy to insert, easy to remove, and reusable. However,
NRR 26 isn't quite enough attenuation for my tastes. I still get a lot of
wind noise, but at least I can hear other traffic. These are what I'll be
using until I can find a local source for the max-lites.

By far, my favorites are the green Max-Lites I was using.
http://www.howardleight.com/Industrial/Products/maxlite.html
And, as you know, these are very cheap in quantity.

All of the HL 'disposable' foam plugs are very comfortable and easy to use,
and I think that NRR 30 is just about perfect (for me, anyways, YMMV). NRR
33 is the highest I've seen, and TOO much attenuation, IMO. (And I put
'disposable' in quotes because I reused mine for a long time before the
foam lost its ability to remain compressed long enough to get them in. :)

-PeteD

Vincerama

Jul 18, 2001, 11:05:58 PM7/18/01

"Frobnitz" <frob...@home.com> wrote in message

Well that URL I pointed to has a great deal on the Max lites. I was going to
go for those, but decided to try the laser-lites. They seem to be the same,
but specifically say "For those with a narrower ear canal" SO for 20 bucks I
thought I'd try (200 pairs of) them. The Max lites are also 22 bucks (with
shipping!) If the lasers don't work (they are ugly as sin) then I'll go for
the green ones.

Interestingly, I hate the handles and cut them off before using the plugs! I
find that my helmet catches on them and drags them out of my ears!

Frobnitz

Jul 19, 2001, 2:29:47 AM7/19/01
"Vincerama" <no...@fakeemail.com> wrote in
<9j5mf9$56g$4...@slb0.atl.mindspring.net>:

>> By far, my favorites are the green Max-Lites I was using.
>> http://www.howardleight.com/Industrial/Products/maxlite.html
>> And, as you know, these are very cheap in quantity.
>

>Well that URL I pointed to has a great deal on the Max lites. I was
>going to go for those, but decided to try the laser-lites. They seem to
>be the same, but specifically say "For those with a narrower ear canal"

I think that phrase appears on the copy for the max-lite as well.

>SO for 20 bucks I thought I'd try (200 pairs of) them. The Max lites are
>also 22 bucks (with shipping!) If the lasers don't work (they are ugly
>as sin) then I'll go for the green ones.

Yup. They are very inexpensive... I just can't justify buying a whole case
of the things. The ones I had lasted several weeks. A couple dozen pairs
would easily last me all year. Just keep your ears clean and wash your
hands before rolling them up and inserting them.

I just wanted you to be aware that NRR 33 might be too much attenuation for
you. I know it is for me. The laser lites are NRR 32, so they may be OK.

>Interestingly, I hate the handles and cut them off before using the
>plugs! I find that my helmet catches on them and drags them out of my
>ears!

Maybe you're not inserting them far enough. I find that the handles fit
nicely behind the tragus (the pointy part of the external ear forward of
the ear canal), if you orient them properly when inserting.

-PeteD

Vincerama

Jul 19, 2001, 3:23:52 AM7/19/01
> >Well that URL I pointed to has a great deal on the Max lites. I was
> >going to go for those, but decided to try the laser-lites. They seem to
> >be the same, but specifically say "For those with a narrower ear canal"
>
> I think that phrase appears on the copy for the max-lite as well.

True, but not on other sites. Oh well. I wonder what the actual difference
is? I also noted that they have a higher NRR than the Max-lights.

> >SO for 20 bucks I thought I'd try (200 pairs of) them. The Max lites are
> >also 22 bucks (with shipping!) If the lasers don't work (they are ugly
> >as sin) then I'll go for the green ones.
>
> Yup. They are very inexpensive... I just can't justify buying a whole case
> of the things. The ones I had lasted several weeks. A couple dozen pairs
> would easily last me all year. Just keep your ears clean and wash your
> hands before rolling them up and inserting them.

Are you serious? I tried to see how long I could keep a pair. The original
problem was that I'd just shove them in my pocket when I got to work, but
they built up grunge (actually I'm talking about the Heros version, which is
probably made in the same factory somewhere). Besides my grungy ears though,
I found that they stopped squeezing and unsqueezing properly! Also, I insert
them when I get to the bike, I don't like walking around with them on, so I
guess that might contribute to dirty hands. I now keep them in a little
earplug case that came with the hearos.

On the other hand, if I can get 200 freeaking pairs for 20 bucks, then why
not? I'd prefer to to toss them after a few rides so as to prevent sticking
dirty things in my ears. And like I said they lost some of their squishable
properties after awhile, but that may be due to the brand(?)
And if you think about it, they must actually only cost a few cents to make,
I mean, they are simply molder blobs of foam!

> I just wanted you to be aware that NRR 33 might be too much attenuation
for
> you. I know it is for me. The laser lites are NRR 32, so they may be OK.

Noted, thanks! I like it quiet, it helps me concentrate and I use my eyes
for scanning more.
hopefully they will be OK, but if not, it's not THAT great a loss. Besides,
I occasionally go shooting and like to wear earplugs under my "ear muffs"
protectors and can hand these out to friends as well, so they won't be
wasted! (They might be good for a quite night sleep too!)

> >Interestingly, I hate the handles and cut them off before using the
> >plugs! I find that my helmet catches on them and drags them out of my
> >ears!
>
> Maybe you're not inserting them far enough. I find that the handles fit
> nicely behind the tragus (the pointy part of the external ear forward of
> the ear canal), if you orient them properly when inserting.

I'll try it again, though I may just have a shallow ear canal.
In anycase, they sure beat those cylinders!

Frobnitz

Jul 19, 2001, 9:29:52 PM7/19/01
<9j73co$qd2$3...@slb4.atl.mindspring.net>:

>Are you serious? I tried to see how long I could keep a pair. The
>original problem was that I'd just shove them in my pocket when I got to
>work, but they built up grunge (actually I'm talking about the Heros
>version, which is probably made in the same factory somewhere). Besides
>my grungy ears though, I found that they stopped squeezing and
>unsqueezing properly! Also, I insert them when I get to the bike, I
>don't like walking around with them on, so I guess that might contribute
>to dirty hands. I now keep them in a little earplug case that came with
>the hearos.

Yes, I used them for a very long time. A few data points: I'm very
meticulous about keeping my ears clean... we go through a lot of q-tips at
my house. I also wash my hands before going out to the bike, it helps keeps
both my earplugs and the insides of my gloves clean. I don't get many
chances to go riding, so we're only talking maybe half a dozen insert
cycles per week. I also don't put the plugs in my pocket, but rather in one
of my gloves, where they usually fall into the fingers and are a total pain
to get back out, but at least they stay clean in there. Keeping them in a
container is definitely a good idea.

And it was the same squeezing/unsqueezing failure that forced me to finally
retire them. If they still smoosh properly, and aren't disgustingly dirty,
why replace them, even if they only cost mere pennies?

>On the other hand, if I can get 200 freeaking pairs for 20 bucks, then
>why not? I'd prefer to to toss them after a few rides so as to prevent
>sticking dirty things in my ears. And like I said they lost some of
>their squishable properties after awhile, but that may be due to the
>brand(?) And if you think about it, they must actually only cost a few
>cents to make, I mean, they are simply molder blobs of foam!

If you want to buy 200 pairs, go for it. It's certainly a good deal. I know
that if _I_ bought enough earplugs to last me a couple of years, I'd
misplace them over winter, and get stuck buying a new box next year
anyways! :)

>> I just wanted you to be aware that NRR 33 might be too much
>> attenuation for you. I know it is for me. The laser lites are NRR 32,
>> so they may be OK.
>
>Noted, thanks! I like it quiet, it helps me concentrate and I use my
>eyes for scanning more.
>hopefully they will be OK, but if not, it's not THAT great a loss.
>Besides, I occasionally go shooting and like to wear earplugs under my
>"ear muffs" protectors and can hand these out to friends as well, so
>they won't be wasted! (They might be good for a quite night sleep too!)

Hehehe. I used those NRR33's tonight when I took a nap on the couch. Worked
great, until my wife had to wake me up for dinner.

>> Maybe you're not inserting them far enough. I find that the handles
>> fit nicely behind the tragus (the pointy part of the external ear
>> forward of the ear canal), if you orient them properly when inserting.
>
>I'll try it again, though I may just have a shallow ear canal.
>In anycase, they sure beat those cylinders!

They sure do! You should try pulling on your ear as Sherpa Dave
recommended, it helps tremendously.

-PeteD

Vincerama

Jul 20, 2001, 3:03:15 AM7/20/01
8< snip ear plug stuff...

Well thanks for the tip! I do in fact pull my ear open with the other hand
when I insert the plug. Sometimes if I get the plug in far enough, I feel
like I'm touching my brain. (Or ear drum)! It jsut takes practice I guess. I
look forward to getting my 200 pairs! I will still try to extend the life of
each one though, as I believe that they are only useless if they actually
lose their unsquishiness. They don't get too dirty if you keep them in the
case, and any earwax on them is from your own ear anyway. As a bonus, any
earwax on the earplug is no longer in your ear, so in reality, you are
cleaning your ears as you ride! Another bonus of motorcycling! Aural health!
(Yeah right!)

Today, I got lost meeting a friend for a movie, so I called her on my cell
phone, but didn't bother to re-inster the earplugs before carrying on. Man,
it's amazing how much sound those things block!

Keep the shiny side up and the earwaxy part in!

Emore

Jul 20, 2001, 5:15:53 PM7/20/01
Vincerama wrote:

I got my box on the doorstep 48 hours after delivery and the work very well.
The only thing is, they expand so rapidly it's hard to get them in before the
start blowing up. Not a big prob and at 8 cents a pair!

Emore

Vincerama

Jul 20, 2001, 9:46:52 PM7/20/01
8<

> > Today, I got lost meeting a friend for a movie, so I called her on my
cell
> > phone, but didn't bother to re-inster the earplugs before carrying on.
Man,
> > it's amazing how much sound those things block!
> >
> > Keep the shiny side up and the earwaxy part in!

> I got my box on the doorstep 48 hours after delivery and the work very
well.
> The only thing is, they expand so rapidly it's hard to get them in before
the
> start blowing up. Not a big prob and at 8 cents a pair!
>
> Emore

Ah, well give yourself a wet willy! If you lick your fingers before rolling
them, they squish more. That's kind gross, but the spit comes from your own
mouth, so it's not THAT gross.

Emore

Jul 21, 2001, 6:52:45 AM7/21/01
Vincerama wrote:

Hmmm...I might just have to try that. That will be our little secret, right?

Emore

P T

Jul 21, 2001, 11:38:44 AM7/21/01
Suggestion on what to do with 100 pairs of ear plugs...

Take 10 or 20 out for yourself, and take the remainder down to the local
bike shop and try to sell or barter them to those guys.

They might not buy them from you, but they might be willing to barter;
everyone has a price!

[Midwest Cycle on Nicollet (Minneapolis) had a box of "Purafit 6800"
that were selling at a buck a pair. At my last repair I said give me a
pair, and the guy just tossed me the last pair 'on the house'. Green
cylinders w/ rounded end; haven't tried them yet. I've been using
silicone 'wax' type w/o much satisfaction... Then I notice they only
reduce 22db... HUH WHAT DID YOU SAY ?]

Pete
with loud pipes & noisy ?lifters