SUDAFED [At it Again]

J.S.Jackson - Island Graphics

Jan 21, 1992, 7:54:47 PM1/21/92
By the way, all--has anyone besides myself written to the
Borroughs-Wellcome folks to express your appreciation of
their latest SudaFed commercial?

Now they've changed it to a white 4-dr sedan [sudafed user]
versus a black 4x4 [?Jeep]..........

I, for one, was pleased at this alternative to their bike
vs. car ad last year, and let them know it. Who knows, if
enough of us show our appreciation, the next Sudafed user
could be a biker--having to swerve away from an automobile
driver who DIDN'T take their medicine. [They may even pick
a DoD member/founder/Keeper ;-]

--
"If this is a battle of wits, it's good to know you're halfway there."
Jennifer S. Jackson jenn...@margarita.island.COM

Jeff Deeney

Jan 23, 1992, 10:43:44 PM1/23/92
In rec.motorcycles, jenn...@island.COM (J.S.Jackson - Island Graphics) writes:

> By the way, all--has anyone besides myself written to the
> Borroughs-Wellcome folks to express your appreciation of
> their latest SudaFed commercial?
>
> Now they've changed it to a white 4-dr sedan [sudafed user]
> versus a black 4x4 [?Jeep]..........

Are you kidding, as a young male who happens to drive a 4x4, I'm really
pissed! This is just another case of stereotyping men as careless fiends
who drive big trucks. I've had it with male bashing. It's time we fight
back. :-)

But seriously, it's very comendable of you to write sudafed expressing your
gratitude. I'm planning on following your example and writing to thank
them for going to the time and expense to change the commercial.

For those who want to write, the address is:

Burroughs Wellcome Co.
3030 Cornwallis Road
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709

-Jeff Deeney- DoD#0498 NCTR Officer
j...@hpfcla.fc.hp.com AMA#540813 COHVCO Member
Fort Collins, Colorado '88 XR600(Shamu) '81 CB750F(in pieces)
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.

Chris Steinbroner

Jan 25, 1992, 1:28:15 PM1/25/92
j...@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Jeff Deeney) writes:
>I'm planning on following your example and writing to thank
>them for going to the time and expense to change the commercial.

from what i gathered (via people posting responses from Burroughs
pull the ad because of our complaints! i think it went something
like, "we have stopped using that ad. thank you for your concern."
this is NOT saying that "because of your concern, we are pulling
the ad." they are just saying that they stopped.

call me paranoid, but i think this is just very clever PR. the
ad got airplay for its normal lifetime, and Burroughs used this
opportunity to give warm fuzzies to the motorcycling population.

unless you can give proof positive that Burroughs REALLY pulled
the ad BECAUSE OF YOUR COMPLAINTS, i'd suggest you NOT send a thank
you because you'd be giving them credit where credit is not due.

now, as someone earlier mentioned, if there was a motorcyclist in
the ad who took sudafed and avoided being hit by a cage, i'd feel
pretty good about Burroughs.

-- hesh

E...@psuvm.psu.edu

Jan 26, 1992, 9:57:29 PM1/26/92
>In rec.motorcycles, jenn...@island.COM (J.S.Jackson - Island Graphics)
>writes:
>
> By the way, all--has anyone besides myself written to the
> Borroughs-Wellcome folks to express your appreciation of
> their latest SudaFed commercial?
>
> Now they've changed it to a white 4-dr sedan [sudafed user]
> versus a black 4x4 [?Jeep]..........

Aha! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the offending
vehicle is a Range Rover; thus only offending the segment of
the population wealthy enough to afford them. These
people are easy to identify because they all talk like
Mr. Howell from Gilligan's Island and they never use
their turn signals.

ObMoto: Did anyone ever figure out what kind of bike
was in the first commercial? I remember it as sorta
KZ-400 or CM400T ish myself.
I guess they didn't want to use a Harley because of
a contrast problem... they wanted to portray the cage
driver as more alert after taking an antihistamine
than the motorcycle rider. But most of the American
people probably would think that the Harley rider was
on speed that he made himself, and thus its not a clear
issue just who is more "alert."

Hey, don't take this as a cut against Harleys, I'm
just dismayed at the way motorcyclists in general
are perceived in our society -- hell when I go to
Wal-Mart people move into another checkout line just
because I have a leather jacket and a helmet. If
only the people in front of me would leave...

Too much snow and ice to ride -- my head is getting
a little soft.

Anyone know where you can get those little air-fresheners
scented with half burnt two-stroke oil? I need something
to get me out of the doldrums...

Andrew Coll E...@PSUVM.BITNET
E...@PSUVM.PSU.EDU

Jonathan E. Quist

Jan 27, 1992, 11:36:16 AM1/27/92
In article <990...@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM> j...@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Jeff Deeney) writes:
>In rec.motorcycles, jenn...@island.COM (J.S.Jackson - Island Graphics) writes:
>
>> By the way, all--has anyone besides myself written to the
>> Borroughs-Wellcome folks to express your appreciation of
>> their latest SudaFed commercial?

>But seriously, it's very comendable of you to write sudafed expressing your
>gratitude. I'm planning on following your example and writing to thank
>them for going to the time and expense to change the commercial.

Uh, wait. They're not as noble as all that. The time and expense
involved was that of distributing a new set of tapes to the networks.

As the response letters from Burroughs-Wellcome indicated, they
had test-screened the commercial with several combinations of vehicles.
One of the ones mentioned was a truck (or a 4x4 - anyone got a copy
of the letter?). They originally aired the motorcycle ad, and
claimed that audiences "couldn't distinguish more similar vehicles",
such as the version that's currently on the air.

Of course, the funny thing of it all is, in the overhead shot when
the sweet-young-mother is swerving away from imminent disaster,
it's obvious that the non-Sudafed vehicle is driving parallel to
the centerline of the road (as was the motorcycle in that version),
and the Sudafed vehicle was in the process of drifting across the
centerline just before the driver swerved away.

The message I get from this is, "Buy Sudafed, and you can drive
erratically, too. And even get sympathy from the jury."

Thanks, but I'm still buying Wal-phed (Walgreen's store-brand
of pseudephedrine hydrochloride).
--
Jonathan E. Quist INTERACTIVE Systems Corporation
j...@i88.isc.com Naperville, IL

J.S.Jackson - Island Graphics

Jan 27, 1992, 8:01:16 PM1/27/92
In article <116...@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> he...@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Chris Steinbroner) writes:
>j...@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Jeff Deeney) writes:
>>I'm planning on following your example and writing to thank
>>them for going to the time and expense to change the commercial.
>
>call me paranoid, but i think this is just very clever PR. the
>ad got airplay for its normal lifetime, and Burroughs used this
>opportunity to give warm fuzzies to the motorcycling population.
>
>unless you can give proof positive that Burroughs REALLY pulled
>the ad BECAUSE OF YOUR COMPLAINTS, i'd suggest you NOT send a thank
>you because you'd be giving them credit where credit is not due.
>
>-- hesh

I'm sorry, Hesh--All I can say is that I am pleased that they pulled
the motorcyclist out of the spotlight. This pleasure made me feel
that, "Hey! maybe if we thank them, then they'll pay faster/closer
attention the NEXT time something happens....Who knows--can't hurt!"

So I figgered to my lonesome that even if they didn't do it for us,
I can pretend that they did, and maybe--just maybe--a kind letter
will take away some of the negative that was sent.

>now, as someone earlier mentioned, if there was a motorcyclist in
>the ad who took sudafed and avoided being hit by a cage, i'd feel
>pretty good about Burroughs.

So -- Write them a letter and tell them that. You never know what
your viewers/constituants are thinking unless they tell you and
that is why governments, advertisers/marketers, and others take so
many polls--because most folks don't think to WRITE! I did happen
to think of this, and made the suggestion....along with wondering
[on paper] why they just didn't use a black & a white car [good vs.
evil] without any markings or obvious size difference. Black/White
is universal--and noticed.

Haven't received an answer from them yet, but will let y'all know
if it's as personal as the ones they sent during the last campaign.

[Alternate subject:

Anybody know a good Suzi Mechanic in the San Rafael/Novato, CA area?
MUST have no connection with Cycle Imports in SClra--they f'd me up
the last time. Thanks!]

Jeff Deeney

Jan 28, 1992, 7:31:30 PM1/28/92
Hesh writes:
>unless you can give proof positive that Burroughs REALLY pulled
>the ad BECAUSE OF YOUR COMPLAINTS, i'd suggest you NOT send a thank
>you because you'd be giving them credit where credit is not due.

Burroughs did write a letter to the AMA indicating that they had received
hundreds of letters critisizing the original commercial. I believe the
letter also outlined their intent to change the commercial.

j...@i88.isc.com (Jonathan E. Quist) writes:
>Uh, wait. They're not as noble as all that. The time and expense
>involved was that of distributing a new set of tapes to the networks.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about the multiple scenarios that they had probably
prerecorded. In any event, it sounds like they listened to the motorcyclists
and had the commercial changed. I find that commendable.

>Thanks, but I'm still buying Wal-phed (Walgreen's store-brand
>of pseudephedrine hydrochloride).

Me too. It's less than 1/2 the price of the name-brand stuff.

wthe...@yahoo.com

Oct 1, 2014, 6:43:30 PM10/1/14
Was there an ad where a female took an antihistamine

wthe...@yahoo.com

Nov 16, 2016, 4:51:05 PM11/16/16
> We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop ridiW
Was there a third variation of that sudafed commercial? Was there an ad where a female took an antihistamine?

wthe...@yahoo.com

Nov 16, 2016, 4:52:42 PM11/16/16

wthe...@yahoo.com

Nov 17, 2016, 6:54:41 PM11/17/16

Thomas

Nov 18, 2016, 1:44:33 AM11/18/16
Hey, genius. You're responding to a post that's almost 25 years old.

William Edwards

Jun 22, 2022, 1:03:08 PM6/22/22

uspstransportations agency

Aug 21, 2022, 6:19:12 PM8/21/22

uspstransportations agency

Aug 21, 2022, 6:21:08 PM8/21/22
On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 at 3:43:30 PM UTC-7, wthe...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Was there an ad where a female took an antihistamine
Hello Mates We sell magic mushrooms as well as medicinal and gourmet mushroom spores.
This companies ships worldwide and offer an enticing insurance policy for orders
that are missing. If your order is stopped for any reason, we will ship another identical
order free of charge.98% of international orders make it to their final destination.
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/shop/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product-category/magic-mushroom-for-sale/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product-category/dmt-for-sale-online/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product-category/buy-lsd-online/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product-category/buy-mdma-online/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/4-aco-dmt/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/5-meo-dmt/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/albino-a-mushrooms/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/buy-ayahuasca-tea-online/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/b-magic-mushrooms/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/blue-foot-mushroom/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/blue-meanie-mushroom-spores/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/buy-burma-mushrooms-online/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/buy-changa-dmt/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/buy-golden-teacher-mushroom/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/buy-lsd-tabs-online/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/buy-lsd-pills-online/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/order-penis-envy-online-usa/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/psilocybe-azurescens-mushrooms-for-sale-online/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/cambodian-magic-mushrooms/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/crystal-meth/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/dmt-vape-pen/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/ecstasy-pills-for-sale/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/ecuadorian-magic-mushroom/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/liberty-cap-mushrooms/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/liquid-lsd/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/lsd-acid-200-ug/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/buy-lsd-crystals-online/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/lsd-gel-tabs-350-ug/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/buy-lsd-online-usa/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/magic-mushroom-powder/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/mazatapec-magic-mushrooms/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/nn-dmt-buy-dmt/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/polkadot-psilocybin-chocolate-bars/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/psilocybin-mushroom-chocolate-bar/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/one-up-bars-for-sale/
https://mushroomsforsaleusa.com/product/trippy-flip-mushroom-chocolate-bar/
https://hippiemushroom.com/
https://psychedelicssolutions.com/
https://californiamushroomsforsale.com/

uspstransportations agency

Aug 21, 2022, 6:21:26 PM8/21/22

uspstransportations agency

Aug 21, 2022, 6:22:23 PM8/21/22

uspstransportations agency

Aug 21, 2022, 6:23:16 PM8/21/22

uspstransportations agency

Aug 21, 2022, 6:23:33 PM8/21/22

uspstransportations agency

Aug 21, 2022, 6:24:36 PM8/21/22
On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 at 3:43:30 PM UTC-7, wthe...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Was there an ad where a female took an antihistamine

uspstransportations agency

Aug 21, 2022, 6:26:47 PM8/21/22

Monkey.D. Luffy

Oct 19, 2023, 9:35:37 AM10/19/23
ChiefApparel's casual shirts [ https://chiefapparel.pk/collections/men-casual-shirts ] for men are a game-changer! Stylish, comfortable, and versatile – they've become my go-to choice for any occasion.