A Moment for Rodney Ferris

Jim Deeke

Jul 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/10/95
To all race fans,
For those of you who follow flat track racing and haven't heard,
Rodney Ferris lost his life last Sunday at the Duquoin Mile.
I know I am speaking for all motorcycle racing fans when I say that
the sport of motorcycle racing has lost another great racer. I have
personally seen and met Rodney at races in the Mid-West. He was a
great competitor and person, God rest his soul.

My sympathies to his family and friends.

JEFF4M

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
Can somebody please post details of what happened. I just heard that he
was struck by another rider after he fell. Was anyone there who could
fill in the gaps? Dirt track racing has lost a lot of stars over the past
10 years, Ted Boody, Steve Ecklund & now Rodney Farris. I have always
wondered what happened in Boody's accident at San Jose, does any one know?

Joe Covington

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
In article <3tq2oe$j...@ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>,
dee...@ix.netcom.com says...

God be with both Rodney and Donald, Your presence will be miss
But never forgotten.

Covignton Moto-Sports
Joe, Jeff, and Edna Covington

Jim Deeke

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
My dad was a flagman at the race. He was the second person to Rodney's
aide. He saw the entire accident. He told me that Rodney slipped off
the groove coming out of turn two and hit the hay bails. He bounced
off the hay bails and landed in the middle of the track. When he tried
to get up he was struck by another rider. His spine was severed at the
base of his neck.

Also, Steve Ecklund's nephew crashed in nearly the same spot and is
now in a drug induced coma at Barnes in St. Louis. He suffers from
bruised lungs, separated pelvis, broken arm, broken leg and head
injuries. He is still in critical condition.
By being a flagman, my dad gets to see some great racing close up,
but he also gets to see the tragic side also, up close.

Steve Tippett

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
JEFF4M (jef...@aol.com) wrote:
: Can somebody please post details of what happened. I just heard that he
: was struck by another rider after he fell. Was anyone there who could
<snipped...>
As reported in the current Cycle News, Rodney hit a bump on lap 18 and was
thrown against the outside wall. He bounced back onto the track and was
struck in the neck area by another rider. He had no pulse when the medics
got to him. They re-established pulse and transported, but he was
brain-dead later that evening. After his family arrived the next morning,
life support was stopped and Rodney passed away.
I still recall his great ride at Lima in 1993 - a close second place to
Ricky Graham. Ricky caught fire to win the next 5 in a row, and I hoped
Rodney would soon get his first National win.
--
Steve Tippett - 91 Suzuki Katana GSX600F STip...@Freenet.Columbus.OH.US

rhsmit...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2016, 3:01:17 PM7/24/16
I used to be a corner worker at the barbra fritchie classic for many years and hot rod rodney Farris was just amazing to see race .I met n chatted with a lot of top pro riders there but rodney was by far the most amazing rider I've seen .from him using the hale bales as berms in the second turn .more racers need to come to the barbra fritchie classic which is the oldest ongoing dirt track race in the country,it's in frederick ,md

12bha...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2018, 1:18:59 AM9/8/18
On Sunday, July 24, 2016 at 3:01:17 PM UTC-4, rhsmit...@gmail.com wrote:
> I used to be a corner worker at the barbra fritchie classic for many years and hot rod rodney Farris was just amazing to see race .I met n chatted with a lot of top pro riders there but rodney was by far the most amazing rider I've seen .from him using the hale bales as berms in the second turn .more racers need to come to the barbra fritchie classic which is the oldest ongoing dirt track race in the country,it's in frederick ,md

Rodney was bad ass and if you worked the corner for a few years do you renumber Willie crabb nothing against rodney but willie could flat foot fredrick like no other