Bikes in MI:2

Marc Couture

Jan 7, 2001, 1:01:52 AM1/7/01
What are the bikes used in Mission Impossible 2?

Tom Crooze

Jan 7, 2001, 1:13:54 AM1/7/01
AACK! i was about to ask this same exact question! i think you're in my
mind. get out of it!!! one was a red full-fairing and the other was a
black no fairing. i wasn't interested in bikes at the time, so i can't
really remember. i gotta rent it!!!

Tom

"Marc Couture" <mrco...@home.com> wrote in message

Kiri

Jan 7, 2001, 1:22:49 AM1/7/01
I think they are both Triumphs. Cruise rode a Speed Triple, and the other
guy rode a Daytona or Sprint I think.

Bushrod Washington

Jan 7, 2001, 1:25:45 AM1/7/01
I think the red one is a Triumph (Daytona?) 955(i?). The other (a dark
colored one?) looked to be a Jap bike of some sort with a non-inline 4
engine configuration, but I think the sound track gave it an inline 4 sound.
So I immediately discounted it's validity as a serious bike. That was after
a couple of shots of a heady single malt......I'm no doubt totally wrong on
all counts.

Bushrod

Some Guy on a Bike

Jan 7, 2001, 1:30:55 AM1/7/01
On Sun, 07 Jan 2001 06:01:52 GMT, "Marc Couture"
<mrco...@home.com> babbled forth:

> What are the bikes used in Mission Impossible 2?

Once with the inflatable knobbies. Very trick.

You can get the same effect by running over a line of hot waffle
irons, but most people don't have a set in their riding pants at any
given moment.
Adam Wade "The only way I'll stop riding
CWRA #4 SDWL #2 is if I stop breathing."
CIMC #1 DoD #2009 LOMP #2 1990 Zephyr 550 (Daphne)
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent
those of my employer in any form.

svrider

Jan 7, 2001, 2:18:41 AM1/7/01
Triumph Daytona and Triumph Speed Triple.

--
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human
history-with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Steve

Jan 7, 2001, 3:17:58 AM1/7/01
Both were Triumphs. The red was a Daytona, and the black one was a Speed
Triple.

"Bushrod Washington" <bush...@home.com> wrote in message

Shawster

Jan 7, 2001, 8:12:44 AM1/7/01

later,

$H@w
'97 ZX7R
be reckless and dangerous!
http://communities.msn.com/shawsworldofwhatever
I'm not a hero, I'm a latter day saint.

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
...George W. Bush, Jr.

"svrider" <tom...@email.msn.com> wrote in message

Shawster

Jan 7, 2001, 8:14:29 AM1/7/01

"svrider" <tom...@email.msn.com> wrote in message

> Triumph Daytona and Triumph Speed Triple.

If the Daytona is the T955

But why would anyone care? unless you want a bike that can defy the known
laws of physics.

Dan Nitschke

Jan 7, 2001, 11:36:34 AM1/7/01
svrider wrote:

> Triumph Daytona and Triumph Speed Triple.

With the optional Instant Change Knobby Tires (tm).

Where can I get those?
--

/* dan: The Anti-Ged, Ignorant Yank (tm) #1, BOF #26, HH #1 */

Dan Nitschke ^ peDA...@idiom.com ^ (.)@(.....).net
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Several years ago, I said goodbye to my own sanity;
But I don't mind at all. -- Bourgeois Tagg

Tom Crooze

Jan 7, 2001, 12:25:07 PM1/7/01
But the only trick that was not really possible was the stoppie and
turn-around thing while shooting at the gas tank. and also the rolling
burnout had a LITTLE too much smoke. you can see it coming from in front of
the stunter's chest, so i'm thinking a smoke grenade or cartridge. pretty
much all the rest of the stunts were possible things.

Tom

"Shawster" <sebe...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

Some Guy on a Bike

Jan 7, 2001, 12:49:03 PM1/7/01
On Sun, 07 Jan 2001 17:25:07 GMT, "Tom Crooze"
<fake...@nobody.com> babbled forth:

> But the only trick that was not really possible was the stoppie and
> turn-around thing while shooting at the gas tank.

Yes. The trick has been reliably done, but only with both hands on
the bars, which precludes any shooting. Or so I would hope.

Andy Burnett

Jan 7, 2001, 1:15:30 PM1/7/01
som...@somewhere.u.cant.reach (Some Guy on a Bike) wrote in
<c5bh5tot2v26s6pks...@4ax.com>:

>On Sun, 07 Jan 2001 17:25:07 GMT, "Tom Crooze"
><fake...@nobody.com> babbled forth:
>
>> But the only trick that was not really possible was the stoppie and
>> turn-around thing while shooting at the gas tank.
>
>Yes. The trick has been reliably done, but only with both hands on
>the bars, which precludes any shooting. Or so I would hope.

You'll notice that they didn't show the bottom of the front wheel in that
shot. Suspicious.

ab

DoohanOK

Jan 7, 2001, 1:32:32 PM1/7/01
Purely by coincidence I've just posted a shit-load of frame-captures from
MI:2 to " alt.binaries.pictures.motorcycles.sportbike ". Spooky
For exclusive pictures of WSB & GP Riders, visit
http://www.doohanok.com

"Dan Nitschke" <peDA...@idiom.com> wrote in message

Some Guy on a Bike

Jan 7, 2001, 2:07:36 PM1/7/01
On Sun, 07 Jan 2001 18:15:30 GMT, abur...@NOhomeSPAM.com (Andy
Burnett) babbled forth:

>> Yes. The trick has been reliably done, but only with both hands on
>> the bars, which precludes any shooting. Or so I would hope.

> You'll notice that they didn't show the bottom of the front wheel in that
> shot. Suspicious.

It's been well-documented that that particular image was filmed and
composited via blue-screen.

> ab

You get the huge reply post I sent a few days ago?

Andy Burnett

Jan 7, 2001, 2:16:20 PM1/7/01
<nnfh5tseji3cl99r6...@4ax.com>:

>It's been well-documented that that particular image was filmed and
>composited via blue-screen.

Hadn't seen that. It'd have to be, seems to me.

>You get the huge reply post I sent a few days ago?

Kinda. I've read it on Deja, but it hasn't made it to either of the news
servers I normally use. I'll try to reply to a few pieces via deja this
evening.

ab

Some Guy on a Bike

Jan 7, 2001, 2:15:41 PM1/7/01
On Sun, 07 Jan 2001 19:16:20 GMT, abur...@NOhomeSPAM.com (Andy
Burnett) babbled forth:

>> You get the huge reply post I sent a few days ago?

> Kinda. I've read it on Deja, but it hasn't made it to either of the news
> servers I normally use.

I'd be willing to bet it was too long for a number of servers to
propagate. Live and learn. Sorry about the inconvenience. If I
still had it, I'd repost it in chunks.

> I'll try to reply to a few pieces via deja this evening.

Cool. Feel free to refer anything you want to to my email.

espresso (at) twcny (dot) rr (dot) com.

Onethumb

Jan 7, 2001, 5:58:37 PM1/7/01
Marc Couture wrote:

> What are the bikes used in Mission Impossible 2?

Ya got me. They were customed built and not available to the general
public. They could:

Rev their motors even after their riders have flung themselves across
space.

Change from street to dirt tread on the tires without the need to stop
and swap tires before getting to the beach.

Balance the bike perfectly steady on the front wheel, while pivoting the
while bike around the triple clamp, all while holding on with only one
hand - the clutch hand.

And allow bullets to pass from underneath them (without damage to the
bike) while killing the rider above.
--
Mark Johnson, Fort Worth, Texas
DoD #2021; onethumb at swbell dot net

"Paranoia is a disease unto itself. And, may I add,
the person standing next to you may not be who they
appear to be. So take precautions." - Primus

Onethumb

Jan 7, 2001, 6:01:40 PM1/7/01
Tom Crooze wrote:

> But the only trick that was not really possible was the stoppie and
> turn-around thing while shooting at the gas tank. and also the rolling
> burnout had a LITTLE too much smoke. you can see it coming from in front of
> the stunter's chest, so i'm thinking a smoke grenade or cartridge. pretty
> much all the rest of the stunts were possible things.
>
> Tom

Sure. If you want a bike that can rev it's motor after your 10 feet
away. Can pass bullets though its undercarriage without harm (I'd
rather it not, so I wasn't the one killed).

The list goes on.

Dave Emerson

Jan 7, 2001, 6:15:32 PM1/7/01

> svrider wrote:
> >
> > Triumph Daytona and Triumph Speed Triple.
>
> With the optional Instant Change Knobby Tires (tm).
>
> Where can I get those?

From the same shop that sells bikes that change from Harleys to Triumphs in
mid-air (ElectaGlide in Blue) or from road-bikes to trails (Live and Let
Die) or puts 4-stroke sounds, complete with electric starter, on a Suzi A100
(Independence Day)!

--
Dave Emerson
ex. Motorcycle Maintenance Workshop

Andrew

Jan 7, 2001, 9:20:47 PM1/7/01

"Onethumb" <bow...@airmail.net> wrote in message

> Marc Couture wrote:
> >
> > What are the bikes used in Mission Impossible 2?
>
> Ya got me. They were customed built and not available to the general
> public. They could:
>
> Rev their motors even after their riders have flung themselves across
> space.
>
> Change from street to dirt tread on the tires without the need to stop
> and swap tires before getting to the beach.
>
> Balance the bike perfectly steady on the front wheel, while pivoting the
> while bike around the triple clamp, all while holding on with only one
> hand - the clutch hand.
>
> And allow bullets to pass from underneath them (without damage to the
> bike) while killing the rider above.
> --

Actually, they had one of the bikes from the movie (apparently there were
12) at the Seattle Motorcycle Show in the Triumph exhibit.[1] I am pretty
certain it was not the custom one you described above, but it was kinda cool
nonetheless ;) Peckhammer and I were talking with one of the Triumph guys
and he showed us some damage on the bike that supposedly occurred during the
filming. It kind of looked like they had a few squibs (those fake gunshot
explosion thingies they use in the movies) that blew some holes in the
plastic under the seat.
--
Andrew
95 Connie

Some Guy on a Bike

Jan 7, 2001, 9:54:39 PM1/7/01
On Sun, 07 Jan 2001 16:58:37 -0600, Onethumb <bow...@airmail.net>
babbled forth:

> Rev their motors even after their riders have flung themselves across
> space.

Easy. Radio control. Like Speed Buggy.

> Change from street to dirt tread on the tires without the need to stop
> and swap tires before getting to the beach.

I already covered that. Waffle irons.

> Balance the bike perfectly steady on the front wheel, while pivoting the
> while bike around the triple clamp, all while holding on with only one
> hand - the clutch hand.

Well, that was special effect.

> And allow bullets to pass from underneath them (without damage to the
> bike) while killing the rider above.

Easy. It was a Buell. No detectable difference in engine operation
with a bullet hole.

Larry at will-contests.com

Jan 7, 2001, 11:07:50 PM1/7/01

"Andy Burnett" <abur...@NOhomeSPAM.com> wrote in message

Bingo. That's because it was on a wheeled platform being moved by hand.
This was shown in the T.V. special on the stunts.

Larry at will-contests.com

Jan 7, 2001, 11:06:33 PM1/7/01

"Tom Crooze" <fake...@nobody.com> wrote in message

> But the only trick that was not really possible was the stoppie and
> turn-around thing while shooting at the gas tank. and also the rolling
> burnout had a LITTLE too much smoke. you can see it coming from in front
of
> the stunter's chest, so i'm thinking a smoke grenade or cartridge. pretty
> much all the rest of the stunts were possible things.
>
> Tom

But they weren't. There was a show on the stunts, including the
contraption used to hold the Speed Triple up in its stoppie configuration.
And the safety ropes for the rock climbing. Also, don't forget the multiple
splices in the tape, particularly when the bikes went from knobbies to
street tires, etc. When the hype says that Cruise did his own stunts, they
mean that he "rode motorcycles" and "climbed rocks". Not that anything
magical or dangerous was actually done by him. He seems like an
accomplished athelete, but the studios aren't about to risk their primary
star during a movie shoot.

Larry
00 929

Larry at will-contests.com

Jan 7, 2001, 11:09:18 PM1/7/01

> Tom Crooze wrote:
> >
> > But the only trick that was not really possible was the stoppie and
> > turn-around thing while shooting at the gas tank. and also the rolling
> > burnout had a LITTLE too much smoke. you can see it coming from in
front of
> > the stunter's chest, so i'm thinking a smoke grenade or cartridge.
pretty
> > much all the rest of the stunts were possible things.
> >
> > Tom
>
> Sure. If you want a bike that can rev it's motor after your 10 feet
> away. Can pass bullets though its undercarriage without harm (I'd
> rather it not, so I wasn't the one killed).
>
> The list goes on.

Don't even start on the firearms mistakes! : 0

Tom Crooze

Jan 7, 2001, 11:30:28 PM1/7/01
SOLID actual stunts... not trivial details. every movie makes trivial
mistakes. besides, we all know that the spinny thing was blue screen
buttmonkey stunt, but the overhead shot with the stoppie in front of the car
wasn't. if it was, then that would have been a waste of money... probably
coulda hired a LVX or zoocrew member to do it. or just some of you guys.

Tom

Kevin Gleeson

Jan 7, 2001, 11:36:38 PM1/7/01
Some Guy on a Bike <som...@somewhere.u.cant.reach> wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Jan 2001 17:25:07 GMT, "Tom Crooze"
><fake...@nobody.com> babbled forth:
>
>> But the only trick that was not really possible was the stoppie and
>> turn-around thing while shooting at the gas tank.
>
>Yes. The trick has been reliably done, but only with both hands on
>the bars, which precludes any shooting. Or so I would hope.

I'm pretty sure I remember a posting to aus.motorcycles a while back
when it was shot (here in Australia) and one of our guys was watching
the shoot and said that the guy _did_ do a stoppy one-handed.

In fact - a search on Dejanews got this:

Subject: Re: Mission Impossible 2
Date: 04/21/2000
Author: Chris Nelson <nel...@one.net.au>

ya its kool saw them do it ... they where filming it at la perouse ...
one handed shooting at a car .. i have it on video.. think the bike is
a triumph.. sweet
"Serge" <se...@tig.com.au> wrote in message
> Have seen a trailer for mission impossible 2..... wow - the bike stunts
> are excellent!!
> One-handed stoppie was absolutely unbelievable ..... i didn't know it
> was possible to do!
> when is it out? does anyone know?
>
> Serge

---------------

For more info around the time of the shoot go to DejaNews, search
aus.motorycles with keywords Mission Impossible, between 1 Jan 2000
and 1 Jan 2001.

Cheers

- - - - - - -
Kevin Gleeson
Imagine It - 3D animation and graphics
Halfmoon Bay, Tasmania, Australia
61 3 6239 9140
http://www.imagine-it.com.au

aus.motorcycles bike page
http://www.imagine-it.com.au/ausmoto
http://www.egroups.com/group/tasride

Richard Abbott

Jan 8, 2001, 1:55:42 AM1/8/01
I am not to sure that a blue screen would have been more expensive. The
number of rehearsals leading up to the final shot would have been vastly more
expensive than simply filming a guy in front of a screen and inserting him into
the shot. I do know that the stunts that Cruise did himself could hardly be
called dangerous. We all sorted these out on rec.climbing a long time ago.
Extensive blue screens were used in the rest of the movie, why not with the
bikes?

Richard Abbott

Jan 8, 2001, 1:58:50 AM1/8/01
I take offence to the idea that cruise "climbed rocks". He was partaily
suspended by a static line at all times and never once had to grip/hold/stand on
anything.

-Richard

ghos...@my-deja.com

Jan 8, 2001, 12:32:34 PM1/8/01
The black one was a Triumph Speed Triple
The red one was a Triumph Daytona 955i (Some people have identified it
as a T955 Daytona. There is no such bike. There was a T595, which is
very similiar to the 955i, and was made from '97-99, I think. I'm
pretty sure the 955i came out in 2000.)
Both Bikes are Triples, even if they did lay down 4-cylinder sound
tracks on the film, as someone suggested earlier.

ghostrdr

'95 Triumph Daytona 1z200
'93 Suzuki Bandit 400

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Lester Patterson

Jan 8, 2001, 3:01:15 PM1/8/01

Marc Couture <mrco...@home.com> wrote in message
> What are the bikes used in Mission Impossible 2?
>
> black bike is a triumph speed tripple
red bike is a triumpd daytona
both of the bikes are the same just one has farings

POGO翰

Jan 8, 2001, 8:10:46 PM1/8/01
howcome the Speed3 (the one tom cruise was riding) couldn't outrun / just
plain dust the cars that were chasing him?

Lester Patterson <stard...@starpower.net> wrote in message

Reed Kennedy

Jan 8, 2001, 8:40:17 PM1/8/01
Some Guy on a Bike confessed to rec.motorcycles:

>On Sun, 07 Jan 2001 06:01:52 GMT, "Marc Couture"
><mrco...@home.com> babbled forth:

>> What are the bikes used in Mission Impossible 2?
>

>Once with the inflatable knobbies. Very trick.
>
>You can get the same effect by running over a line of hot waffle
>irons, but most people don't have a set in their riding pants at any
>given moment.

Which is, of course, exactly what they did. Don't tell me you watched the
edited version of MI:2 where they took out the bit where good and evil
momentarilly join forces on Triumphs to defete the Swedish Chef.

Reed.
--
'00 Buell M2 Cyclone (Dead.)
'89 Honda NX650 (kinda)

Rick Damiani

Jan 8, 2001, 11:07:43 PM1/8/01
"POGO翰" <po...@warehousebanker.com> wrote:

>howcome the Speed3 (the one tom cruise was riding) couldn't outrun / just
>plain dust the cars that were chasing him?

Because it was a movie and that wouldn't have been dramatic enough. My
clapped-out Radian could outrun an SVU.

--
A host is a host from coast to coast ..................... Rick Damiani
and no one will talk to a host that's close .... ri...@nospam.paton.com

janne

Jan 10, 2001, 2:53:54 PM1/10/01
anybody notice when/how they (Cruise&the other one)
chanced bikes tyres from street- to off-roadtypes before
they finally got to beach...?
This can only work in a movie.. :)

P.K. & Katana 1100 ..

ThreadKiller

Jan 11, 2001, 3:32:13 AM1/11/01
In article <m5376.19904$oL4.4...@news2.nokia.com>, "janne"
<ja...@mail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> anybody notice when/how they (Cruise&the other one)
> chanced bikes tyres from street- to off-roadtypes before
> they finally got to beach...?
> This can only work in a movie.. :)
>
> P.K. & Katana 1100 ..

yes, we did. See six months ago.

www.deja.com/usenet

BeegBoy, '98 VN750, '78 KZ10000C-3
"When Motorcycle Cruiser magazine did a bike owner survey,the Vulcan 750
came out ahead of ALL other bikes combined in responses,
and the responses loved the bike."
- Donald Hinds, Rec.Motorcycles Reviews archive

Clutchman

Jan 11, 2001, 7:15:37 AM1/11/01
Saw "The making of..." There the director said that Tom Cruise actually did
make that jump. The first take was fine, but 'cos he liked the jump so
much he decided to jump another 6 times for the heck of it... Even showed
footage of how he jumped... The footage was from different angles, from a
two helicopters as well as from the ground. Only for the extreme close-ups
where the shots moved to the studios.

"Richard Abbott" <sand...@home.com> wrote in message

Onethumb

Jan 11, 2001, 7:38:40 AM1/11/01
Clutchman wrote:

> Saw "The making of..." There the director said that Tom Cruise actually did
> make that jump. The first take was fine, but 'cos he liked the jump so
> much he decided to jump another 6 times for the heck of it... Even showed
> footage of how he jumped... The footage was from different angles, from a
> two helicopters as well as from the ground. Only for the extreme close-ups
> where the shots moved to the studios.

Sure, and if you were all wired into place, you'd make the jump too.
Ain't post production grand?

--
Mark Johnson, Fort Worth, Texas

Iron Butt Association Member #3000

Clutchman

Jan 11, 2001, 8:07:22 AM1/11/01
From what I can recall, the only thing that they did mention was that he
didn't use a safety-net....

But then.. I doubt I'd make that jump even if I were wired into place.
Prefer my sudden acceleration to be in a (more or less) horizontal plane on
two wheels...

"Onethumb" <bow...@airmail.net> wrote in message

sfarooq...@gmail.com

May 29, 2018, 7:07:53 PM5/29/18