Does anyone know about Reinhold Roth?

jeronimo...@my-deja.com

Jan 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/27/00
This morning I heard a story about someone in a coma. This reminded me
of Reinhold Roth, the German 250 star who got involved in a horrible
crash years ago (which year was it exactly, I guess it was around 1990,
perhaps even late eighties), resulting in him getting in a coma.

A few years (!) after that, I spotted his wife in a German talkshow.
She told that Reinhold's situation hadn't changed and that he was still
in a coma.

I wonder what happened after that?

I remember he was quite a remarkable figure, with his balding head and
pipe. Above all he was a hell of a fast roadracer.

Cheers,
Jeronimo

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Michael Frison

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
You don't hear much about him, as his familiy (his caring wife in
particular) manages everything and succeeds to keep all out of public.
Which I can understand and respect. All I can recall is that he needs
intensive care, but he doesn't miss a race on tele.
Mike

jeronimo...@my-deja.com

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
In article <Pine.BSF.4.01.10001291522460.5769-
100...@mein.kleiner.freund>,

Michael Frison <to.send.mail.look@header> wrote:
> You don't hear much about him, as his familiy (his caring wife in
> particular) manages everything and succeeds to keep all out of public.
> Which I can understand and respect. All I can recall is that he needs
> intensive care, but he doesn't miss a race on tele.

If he is able to watch races on tv, he is doing relatively well. I hope
someone has some more info.

By the way, the year of the accident was indeed 1990, at the
Yugoslavian (that country did still exist then) GP, Ryeka, 17 June.

Blah Blah

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
.

>By the way, the year of the accident was indeed 1990, at the
>Yugoslavian (that country did still exist then) GP, Ryeka, 17 June.
>
>Cheers,
>Jeronimo

I remember seeing this on TV, one of the other riders involved in the
crash was Alex Criville on the marlboro Yamaha, he ended up doing a
spin on his back down the haybales, like a rock skipping across water,
I thought Roth and Alex were both dead :(

Rob

jeronimo...@my-deja.com

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
In article <38955431...@allnews.nbnet.nb.ca>,

bl...@blah.com wrote:
> I remember seeing this on TV, one of the other riders involved in the
> crash was Alex Criville on the marlboro Yamaha, he ended up doing a
> spin on his back down the haybales, like a rock skipping across water,
> I thought Roth and Alex were both dead :(

Although this might be considered as a morbid topic, I tell you my
worst memory. That was seeing Franco Uncini's crash at Assen on tv in
1982. While he was trying to get up and get away, Wayne Gardner (then
still completely unknown, couldn't avoid him and unfortunately ran full
into Franco's head. I still remember Franco spinning full circle, while
his helmet flew away, off his head, by the sheer impact of the
collision.

Uncini got into a coma, but thank goodness, he came by a few days later
and recovered completely (a miracle).

18 years later I can still visualise that moment as if it was
yesterday..

Take care out there!

Brian Van TIlborg

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
On 29 Jan 2000 18:25:48 , jeronimo...@my-deja.com wrote:

>By the way, the year of the accident was indeed 1990, at the
>Yugoslavian (that country did still exist then) GP, Ryeka, 17 June.
>
>Cheers,
>Jeronimo

I had no idea he had such a serious accident. I am happy to hear that he
can watch races on Television. Means something is still clicking.

Often the more serious accidents, are hidden from the fans, with regard to
the injury involved.

Later Brian.

>.

Thomas Hill

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
jeronimo...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Although this might be considered as a morbid topic, I tell you my
> worst memory. That was seeing Franco Uncini's crash at Assen on tv in
> 1982. While he was trying to get up and get away, Wayne Gardner (then
> still completely unknown, couldn't avoid him and unfortunately ran full
> into Franco's head. I still remember Franco spinning full circle, while
> his helmet flew away, off his head, by the sheer impact of the
> collision.
>
> Uncini got into a coma, but thank goodness, he came by a few days later
> and recovered completely (a miracle).

Poor bastard. He must have had permanent brain damage, he became a lawyer;-)

--
Larry.
--------------------------------

Andrew Shih-Kwong Lam

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
Your message reminds me of a horrible crash in Assen in the early 90s when
Leon van der Heyden (if i spelt his name correctly) suffered a broken neck
or back when he collided with the fallen bike of Stefan Prein. van der
Heyden was the European Champ, I believe.
I wonder what happened to him and if he's okay?

Andrew

<jeronimo...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> This morning I heard a story about someone in a coma. This reminded me
> of Reinhold Roth, the German 250 star who got involved in a horrible
> crash years ago (which year was it exactly, I guess it was around 1990,
> perhaps even late eighties), resulting in him getting in a coma.
>
> A few years (!) after that, I spotted his wife in a German talkshow.
> She told that Reinhold's situation hadn't changed and that he was still
> in a coma.
>
> I wonder what happened after that?
>
> I remember he was quite a remarkable figure, with his balding head and
> pipe. Above all he was a hell of a fast roadracer.
>
> Cheers,

jeronimo...@my-deja.com

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
In article <8778hi$djl$1...@news6.jaring.my>,

"Andrew Shih-Kwong Lam" <ask...@pc.jaring.my> wrote:
> Your message reminds me of a horrible crash in Assen in the early 90s
when
> Leon van der Heyden (if i spelt his name correctly) suffered a broken
neck
> or back when he collided with the fallen bike of Stefan Prein. van der
> Heyden was the European Champ, I believe.
> I wonder what happened to him and if he's okay?

Yes, I remember Leon van der Heyden (you spelled correctly). He was one
of the most promising talents of Dutch roadracing, together with
Patrick and Jurgen van den Goorbergh. Leon had to quit racing after the
accident. I will make some inquieries as to what he's up to now.

Interesting question, Andrew! Thanks.