Learning motorcycle racing: where to start, what bike?

Stuart Hall

Jun 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/16/97

I am considering getting into motorcycle racing at New Hampshire
International (closest track to my home near hartford, CT) and would
like some advice from experienced road racers.

Are there any web sites that offer helpful advice?

I want advice on what bike to buy. When I used to ride (1990 CBR600) a
few years ago, the hot learning bike was the EX500. Is this still the
case?

I also need to know how to begin. Buy the bike first, then learn safety
wiring etc. on my own? Or how about volunteering to flag at a bunch of
races the rest of this season?

Budget is a major issue. So if buying used is ok, let me know that too.

stuart
wannaberacer.
--
Visit the Passat Owners group for an Owners Registry
and instructions for our Email list at:

FAQs at:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1108/faq.html

Passat IRC & Java Chat instructions at:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1108/chat.html

My motto (and often said to my wife):
"Get in, Sit down, Shut up, and Hang on!"

Fred Farzanegan

Jun 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/17/97

The best resource about starting racing is Duke's new racer
FAQ. It's at the end of this post. But, to answer some of your
questions, I'd suggest being a cornerworker for a few weekends,
you'll see the racing up close and learn the flags and
procedures. The EX is still the best starter bike. Don't bother
buying a new one, two of my friends picked up race-ready EX's
for <$1k. Get someone to show you about safety wiring- it takes
a little knowledge to get right (cue Andre). Budget will
break your back- be prepared for that.

-fred

How to Become a Motorcycle Roadracer

Version 3.3

[Image]

This is a list of Frequently Asked Questions about becoming a Motorcycle
Roadracer. It is maintained by Duke Robillard, du...@cc.belcore.com (that's
me!). Please send any and all additions, corrections, clarfications, and
suggestions to me.

A new version of this document appears approximately monthly, sometime around
the 17th.

This FAQ is very USA-centric, (even Northeastern US-centric) because that's
what I know. Send me other stuff and I'll put it in!

You may wonder why I think I'm an authority on this subject. Well, I've got a
CCS license, which is more than you! :->

Seriously, I'm no authority at all, but I have spent the last year or so going
through the process of getting started. I got a tremendous amount of help from
people, both on-line and off, and I thought maybe I could do something to pay
back my karmic debt some.

Thanks to everyone on the race list (ra...@thumper.lerc.nasa.gov, "subscribe
race" to Majo...@thumper.Lerc.NASA.GOV). I stole a lot of this from your
postings. You are the best resource a newbie racer ever had. Thanks in
particular to Hardy Kornfeld, Billy Brownsberger, Paul George, Laura Hardy, Ed
McFarland, Kevin Binsfield, Jon Fleming, Phil Calvin and the illustrious Gunn
family.

Thanks also to Derek Noonburg and Ian Jackson. I borrowed a lot of formatting
from their PowerPC and Linux FAQs.

[Image]

[Image]

1. Introduction

1.1 What is Motorcycle Roadracing?
1.2 What do I Need To Go Racing?
1.2.1 Where Do I Get Leathers and Such?
1.3 How Much Money Am I Going to Spend?
1.4 Am I Going To Wind Up Maimed or Dead?
1.5 What's a Typical Race Day Like?
1.6 I'm Still Not Sure I Want to Do This, How Can I Find Out?

2. Motorcycles & Race Classes

2.1 What Bike Should I Use to Go Racing?
2.2 How Do I Find This Race-Ready Bike?
2.3 What Class Should I Race in?
2.4 What's this "YSR" stuff I Hear About?
2.5 What is "Race-prepping"?
2.6 Do You Insure Race Bikes?

3. Racing Organizations

3.1 What's a Racing Organization?
3.2 What are the US Organizations by Geographical Area?

4. Racing Schools

4.1 What's a Racing School?
4.2 Racing Schools: When, Where, How Much?

5. Tracks

5.1 What Tracks are Local to Me & What are They Like?

6. Other info

6.1 Where Do I Go To Get Other Info?

[Image]

1. Introduction

[Image]

1.1 What is Motorcycle Roadracing?

Motorcycle Roadracing is the best time you can have with your leathers on.
Motorcycle Roadracing is better than drugs, sex, and money. This is good,
since you need to give up all three to do it. Motorcycle Roadracing will
rip off the back of your head and glue it on backwards. Motorcycle
Roadracing is indescribable. In short, get thee to a track.

On a more concrete level, Roadracing involves a group of people on bikes,
racing around an asphalt track with many left and right turns, and
elevation changes. The tracks are like those used in Formula 1 car racing,
rather than like the ovals used in stock car racing--it's more like
Watkins Glen than the Indy 500. The motorcycles used range from lightly
modified street bikes to special purpose million dollar factory-built race
bikes.

Roadracing is done on many levels, from local clubs to World
Championships.

1.2 What do I Need To Go Racing?

Less than you think. You need a race-prepared motorcycle (see 2.1) and
protective gear (race leathers, helmet, gloves, and boots). You need a
racing license (see 3.1 and 3.2). You need a way to get the bike to the
track (pickup, trailer, or van).

The gear is vital. New race leathers are somewhere around $1000, and worth
every penny. They've got serious weight leather, foam padding, and hard
plastic body armour. Racing gloves cost up to $100, and boots cost up to
$300. Helmets are the same as street helmets; $150-$500, depending on
paint scheme :->

Don't try to cheap out on any of this stuff. Used is okay (except for
helmets, of course), but if you buy crummy leathers, you'll pay for the
difference in ambulance fees and pain.

As far as getting the race-bike to the track, the cheapest thing to do is
borrow a pickup from your uncle. Failing that, you can get a
hitch-n-trailer for your Big American Car or Yuppie Sport Utility Behicle
for between $500 and $1000, depending on quality, new or used, weight
rating, etc.

Personally, I think a van is the best solution, because it keeps the bike
out of rain, is easier to drive than a car_trailer, holds a lot of tools
and spares, and you can sleep in it. I think a van is best, but I use a
hitch-n-trailer, 'cause it was cheaper.

Don't ride your bike to the track, because then when you wad it up in turn
6, you won't be able to get it home.

1.2.1 Where Do I Get Leathers and Such?

Some leather companies commonly used by racers:

o Vanson Leathers, 617-344-5444, 213 Turnpike St Stoughton, MA

o Syed Leathers, Orlando, FL (800)486-6635, (407)857-SYED, fax
(407)857-9233

o Z Custom Leathers, Huntington Beach, CA (714)890-5721

o Dinar Leathers, Lebanon, NJ (908)236-0512, fax (908)236-0513

o Dainese

o AGV. They have a sponsorship program for anyone with a license, and
inexpensive leathers. Cool boots and gloves, too.

o Alpinstars. Boots of Champions.

o Held. Gloves of Asphalt Resistance.

1.3 How Much Money Am I Going to Spend?

You can do the first year for $5000, including buying a used bike and
protective gear. After that, it should be cheaper, until you need a new
bike, or start messing with your engine.

I've found a weekend at the races typically runs around $250, including
gas, oil, entrance fees, food, etc. You can do it cheaper, you can do it
more expensive. If you have a big bike, you'll need to replace tires a lot
(maybe every weekend), but on little ones, you can get a number weekends
out of them.

There have been rumors of a new "Low budget racing class" using RD350-400
bikes, with a a $2500 claim rule to keep people from spending lots of
money on the bikes. (A "claim rule" says anyone can claim the winning bike
buy paying $2500 to the owner and taking it home).

1.4 Am I Going To Wind Up Maimed or Dead?

Well, all the championship level racers are maimed to a certain extent.
Doug Polen has no toes on one foot, Mick Doohan's right ankle doesn't
bend, and Wayne Rainey is paralysed from the waist down. On the other
hand, I've met a lot of expert club racers who seem pretty much okay.

You are going to crash, and you are going to break bones. Your collarbones
are goners. Fingers, handbones, wristbones, footbones, and anklebones are
also likely to get broken.

However, serious injury and death are not very common. Most crashes
involve sliding to a stop, getting up, and running to hit your kill
switch. Racers like to claim the track is safer than the street, because
there are no Volvos to turn left in front of you. And when you do crash,
there's an ambulance a few minutes away, with the engine running.

But it's a dangerous sport, there's no getting around it. If that bothers
you a lot, maybe you should take the advice of a friend of mine, who
suggested I try chess instead. :-> Remember: "It ain't a sport if it can't
kill you."

1.5 What's a Typical Race Day Like?

At six am, you're awakened by the guy in the pit to your left, working on
the jetting of his 2 stroke (WWIINNNNNGG). You didn't get to sleep until
1am, because Otis The Wonder Dog (staying in the pit to your right) was
barking at the TV they were running off their Honda generator. You try to
wake up your pit crew, stumble to registration and give away money, eat a
bagel as you push your bike through technical inspection, and then miss
your first practice because you forgot to safety wire your oil drain bolt
after you changed the oil at 3am on Thursday night.

Finally, you get out in practice, immediately find the limit of traction,
spend two hours and $100 at the on-track vendors getting your handlebars
fixed, and then blow the start of your Supersport race. But it's all
worthwhile when you stuff that guy on the new ZX-6R who's fast down the
straights but can't keep in front of you in the carousel.

That's a little embelished, (could you tell?) but it covers a lot of what
goes on. Many racers camp at the track (cheaper than motels, less packing
and unpacking, less distance to travel in the morning). Race days start
early, with a line for the showers forming by 7.

Whenever you go racing, you should always bring along somebody (your
"crew") to help out. His main job is driving the truck home if you break
your ankle, but he can also take lap times and help fix broken stuff.

You have to register for each race, and there's a fee for each (NE CCS is
$50 a race, for instance). Before you can get on the track (and after
crashes) you have to go through technical inspection. There are generally
several practices each day, divided up by speed, experience, and/or class
of bike.

If you crash, you and your crew haul the bike bike to the pit, fix it
(there are usually vendors at the track, eager to sell brake levers and to
mount tires), go through tech. again, and get back out.

And the best feeling in the world is watching someone pull away on the
straight, and then reeling him back in in the twisty stuff.

1.6 I'm Still Not Sure I Want to Do This, How Can I Find Out?

One way to try to decide whether or not roadracing is for you is to try
out one of the many race track classes, like Reg Pridmore's CLASS,
TrackRiders, Keith Code's Superbike School, the Team Suzuki Endurance
Riding School, or the MARRC, Penguin, or Ed Bargy/WERA Roadracing School.
Each of these organizations offer track time at minimal expense (you can
use your street bike, or often rent a race bike) and teach riding
techniques valid for all speeds and all types of riding. See 4.1 for more
info on these.

There are a number of on-line racers who blame their current obsessions on
attending CLASS.

Another excellent idea is to go to the races a couple of times and hang
out in the pits. If you can find a racer who might need crew, volunteer to
go along and help (I'm always available for this duty). This is the best
way to learn the routine. This sounds self evident, but there are many
people who want to start racing without having ever been into the pits;
they've just seen it on TV or from the grandstand.

Lastly, you should volunteer to be a corner-worker at your local track.
Corner Workers are the rodeo clowns of Road Racing. They hang out near the
crash points on corners, and when someone goes down, they run out to get
the racer and his bike out of harm's way, and out of the way of the rest
of the race. They're also in charge of the signalling flags that get waved
when something goes wrong, and on getting the oil off the track. Without
them, we'd all be sitting home wishing we could go racing.

If you go to the track and say "I'd like to corner work" they'll be
delighted to have you, trust me. You get to see the racing up close (only
the racers get better seats), meet racers, learn the track and rules, etc.
At Loudon and Bridgehampton, you even get paid for working, and some free
meals.

Cornerworking is also a good suggestion for people who are concerned about
the possibility of injury. There is nothing like spending a day watching
people get back on their bikes after crashing.

[Image]

2. Motorcycles & Race Classes

[Image]

2.1 What Bike Should I Use to Go Racing?

The conventional wisdom is that you should start on small bikes, and learn
to ride before you get enough horsepower to really hurt yourself. In the
US, the most popular starter racing bikes are the Kawasaki EX-500, the
Yamaha FZR 400, the Honda Hawk GT-650, and Your Current Street Bike.

o Kawasaki EX-500

Made from 1987-1995, this is a 500cc parallel twin with a cradle
frame. You can find race prepped specimens for <$2000. It's not the
best handling of these bikes, but it's cheap and probably fine for
starters. As a little twin, it's legal for lots of classes. There's a
mailing list filled with racers: send "subscribe ex500 your-address"
to Majo...@msri.org

o Yamaha FZR 400

Made from 1988-1990, this is a 400cc inline four, with an aluminum
"Deltabox" twin-spar frame. The 1990 model had twin front brake
calipers and a Deltabox swingarm. Race ready versions are usually
close to $3000. This is probably the best of the three, but it also
costs the most. I bought this one, because I didn't want to worry
about whether the problem was me or the bike; with the FZR, I know
it's me.

o Honda Hawk GT 650

Made from 1988-1990, this is a 650cc V-twin, with a twin-spar frame.
Race ready versions are around $2500. The engine is a little weak in
stock form, but can really breath fire when worked on. As a little
twin, it's legal for lots of classes.

o Your Current Street Bike

This bike has one obvious advantage: it's nearly free (you do have to
spend some money race prepping it). A lot of people start on their
600 Sportbikes; in my region, the Amateur 600cc grids are completely
packed. The disadvantage of this bike is that when you wreck it,
you've got no street bike. An even worse problem would be wrecking it
on the street and having no race bike! In addition, it's a royal pain
to rip all the street stuff (lights, signals, etc) off every weekend,
and when your suspension is set up correctly for the track, it's
unrideable on the street. A final warning: some organizations don't
let novices on anything bigger than a 750.

A good way to pick a bike is to go to your local track, hang out in the
pits talk to people your own age who are smiling, find out what they are
riding and why. Look at how many bikes are in each class, an how the
racing is going. Some classes are just for nut cases (I would never say
that about any particular class, like, oh, say, the Amateur 600's). Other
classes have an air or respect for their fellow riders.

Some people start in vintage racing; it's not just for retired roadracers.
A good starter bike is a CB350 Honda. They are cheap, and in the USCRA
there are two classes for them, one for stock motors and one for modifed
motors.

No matter what bike you race, it's simplier if you get a bike already
racing in the class you're after. And stay as close to stock as you can;
you need to spend the first season learning to race, not working on your
porting.

2.2 How Do I Find This Race-Ready Bike?

The best ways are

1. hang around the pits at your local racetrack (see 4.1) and look for
"For Sale" signs,

2. check the classifieds in Cycle News, Roadracing World, or American
Roadracing (see 6.1),

3. check around the newsgroup and mailing list (see 6.1)

2.3 What Class Should I Race In?

Most organizations have different racing classes divided up by engine
displacement, 2-stroke vs 4-stroke, number of cylinders, and how much
magic has been performed on the bike. Take CCS, for instance (see 3.2). It
has a couple of "Lightweight" classes for production-based street bikes.
It allows 4 stroke bikes with 4 cylinders up to 400cc or 4 stroke twins up
to 650cc. "Lightweight Supersport" is for mildly altered bikes (new pipes,
jetting and suspensions) and "Lightweight Superbike" is for bikes with
titanium con-rods and such. (The details of what's legal and what's not
are more complicated, but that's the general idea.) The grids for these
classes are filled with the three bikes mentioned in 2.1

You're usually allowed to "race up a class," which means you can ride a
600cc bike in the 750cc class. On some tight, twisty tracks, you might not
even be at much of a disadvantage. At the AMA national at Loudon, for
instance, there's usually a 600 in the top ten of the 750 Supersport
races. And in the beginner classes, slow bikes with fast riders beat fast
bikes with slow riders all the time.

It's a good idea to start in these relatively slow, lightweight classes.
If you take your CBR900RR to the track to learn on, odds are you're going
to get lapped an awful lot, fall down all the time, and might even be a
danger to the more experienced racers. In fact, some organizations don't
let novices on anything bigger than a 750. My race school instructor
explained: "It was just getting too bloody."

2.4 What's this "YSR" stuff I Hear About?

Another Bike/Class option is to race YSRs. The Yamaha YSR is a 50cc or
80cc two stroke that looks like a sport bike. They are raced in parking
lots, on go cart tracks, and on regular race tracks.

YSR racing isn't as high speed as full size racing, but it is a fantastic
alternative for people who can't ante up the entrance fee for big-time
racing, or are not prepared (due to family, etc) to risk life and limb for
the pursuit of adrenaline.

YSR's also provide a semi-safe place to hone up racing skills (most of
them are directly transferrable) before stepping up to lightweights.
Crashes are not usually serious, so racers can get used to falling off.

Mini-racing, as it's also called, is most popular in So Cal, but there are
contingents around North America. In Texas, for example, check with CMRA
(800) 423-8736. In Toronto, try the Nifty-50 racing club (905) 830-1021.
In California, try the CMRRA at 909-674-5357. In British Columbia, try The
Pacific Coast YSR Club, whose number I don't have.

2.5 What is "Race-Prepping"?

"Race-prepping" is getting your bike ready to race. If you've bought a
bike that's already been racing, race-prepping is all the grunt work you
don't have to do. It means stripping off all the street stuff (lights,
signals, kickstands, etc), replacing the radiator coolent with water,
safety-wiring anything you wouldn't want to come loose at speed, putting
on number plates, adding a steering damper, etc.

"Safety-wiring" is drilling little holes through the heads of bolts that
hold on important stuff, running wire through those holes, and attaching
the wire to some fixed point, or to another bolt. This makes it impossible
for the bolt to turn, no matter how much it vibrates and bounces. Obvious
targets for safety wiring are oil drain plugs, fork oil drains, the remote
shock reservoir (mine fell off once) and brake caliper bolts.

It is really helpful to have someone show you how and what to safety wire;
the race rulebooks are not very clear or complete. When you go to the
track to hang around before becoming a racer, you can check this out,
perhaps asking someone for hints and help. Most racers are very helpful
about this kind of thing, and love to talk about their bikes. (Just don't
catch them 10 minutes before their next race.)

Every organization has its own specific rules about race-prepping. You'll
find them in the rulebooks (see 6.1 and 3.2).

[Image]

3. Racing Organizations

[Image]

3.1 What's a Racing Organization?

A Racing Organization is a group that sanctions races. They set up the
weekends, officiate, keep the records, and take your money. They also
issue racing licenses.

In the US, The Western Eastern Roadracing Association (WERA) and the
Championship Cup Series (CCS) are nation-wide organizations, with regional
series spread across the country. No matter where you live, you can race
under one of these two. If you do really well in your region, you can go
to the Grand National Final (WERA, Road Atlanta) or the Race of Champions
(CCS, Daytona) at the end of the season.

In addition, there are a lot of local organizations, some of which are
associated with WERA and/or CSS, and some of which are independent.

Another national organization is AHRMA, which runs vintage racing and
singles/twins racing.

3.2 What are the US Organizations by Geographical Area?

USA (Nationwide):

Western Eastern Roadracing Association (WERA), 3446 Bells Ferry Rd.,
PO Box 440549, Kennesaw, GA 30144. Phone: 770-924-8404, Fax:
770-924-1277. (This is the new address; they just moved)

Championship Cup Series (CCS), 704-684-4297.

Canada (Nationwide):

Association Sportive Motocycliste, 905-522-5705

Northeast US:

CCS Northest Region. Loudon RoadRacing Series (LRRS) and GP/Pro is
the local organization that runs the the CCS NE series. They also
have their own classes. Races take place at New Hampshire
International Speedway, Loudon, NH and Bridgehampton Race Circuit,
Long Island, NY. PO Box 73, West Hurley, NY 12491-0073. 914-679-5547.

US Classic Racing Association (USCRA). Vintage racing at Loudon
(NHIS), Atlantic Motorsport Park, Nova Scotia, Canada, Mosport Park,
Canada and Summit Point Raceway in West Virginia

Rules: c/o Robert Coy, 441 Athol Road, Richmond, NH 03470. phone
603-239-6778, fax 603-239-7343.

Membership: c/o Charlie Seymour, PO BOX 473, Sanbornville, NH 03872.
603-522-3104. $15 a year and you must be a AMA member

Newsletter: Richard Peterson Jr., 1251 Middle Road, East Greenwich,
RI 02818. mtpr...@aol.com.

Eastern Canada:

Association Sportive Motocycliste (ASM), Ontario: 905-522-5705?
Quebec: (514) 582-4051? Toronto: 416-635-9763?

Canadian Motorcycle Association, 902-835-3300.

RACE Super Series, 613-966-4882

US Classic Racing Association (USCRA). See Northeast US.

Mid-Atlantic US:

CCS MidAtlantic Region

WERA Mid-Atlantic Region

Mid-Atlantic Road Racing Club (MARRC), 703 435-1223. Provides safety
crew for WERA and CCS regional races, and runs a school and open
practice days at Summit Point, WV.

Southeast US:

CCS Southeast Region

CCS Florida Region (Talladega,)

Southeastern Sportbike Association (SSA). runs a school and open
practice days at Road Atlanta, GA.

Northern US:

WERA NorthCentral Region

CCS Great Lakes Region

Central Roadracing Association, 612-332-4

Mid West US:

WERA MidCentral Region.

CMRA: local organization that's the WERA affiliate. (800) 423-8736

CCS Mid West Region

CCS Great Plains Region.

Midwest Cafe Racing Association 314-771-2531

Mid West Canada:

Manitoba Roadracing Association, 204-775-9473

Calgary Motorcycle Roadracing Association, 403-280-3144

Western US:

CCS Great Plains Region

WERA MidCentral Region

Motorcycle Roadracing Association (MRA), PO Box 40187, Denver,
Colorado 80204. 303-530-5678. http://128.138.166.160/Wardell/mra/.
Races at Second Creek Raceway, Pueblo Motorsports Park, Moutain View
Motorsports Park, & Stapleton Motorsports Park.

American Federation of Motorcyclists (AFM), 510-796-7005.
http://www.afmracing.org/ PO Box 5018-333 Newark, CA 94560.

Willow Springs Motorcycle Club, PO Box 94323, Rosamond California,
93560. 805-256-1234, racew...@aol.com.

California Motorcycle Road Race Association (CMRRA). 909-674-5357.
15023 Valencia Street, Lake Elsinore, CA 92530. Races at Lake Perris
Raceway & Willow Springs.

North West US:

Oregon Motorcycle Road Racing Association (OMRRA), PO Box 6388
Portland, Oregon, 97228, 503-221-1487.

Washington Motorcycle Raod Racing Association, 206-972-4499.

Northwest 883 Twins, 604-585-HAWG.

South West US:

CCS South West Region

WERA SouthCentral Region

[Image]

4. Racing Schools

[Image]

4.1 What's a Racing School?

What, you think Kevin Schwantz was born that way? He had to learn
somewhere. A beginner race school will teach you the basic stuff about how
to survive on the track, what the various flags mean, what a cornerworker
does, and so on. You usually need to take a school in order to get a
racing license from one of the race organizations.

Later on, you can take advanced race schools, in order to trim some
seconds off your lap times.

4.2 Racing Schools: When, Where, How Much?

Penguin Roadracing School
PO Box 852, Searsport, ME 04974. 207-548-2100, Fax: 207-548-2888. Held at
Loudon, New Hampshire and Bridgehampton, Long Island, on the Friday before
every NE CCS race weekend. $150 tuition. You can rent an EX500 ($225) and
leathers ($40). Qualifies you for a CCS license (for $75) and racing the
same weekend.

MARRC Roadracing School
c/o Stephen Harris, 112 Woodland Dr, Gaithersburg, MD 20877, (301)
990-6408 (before 9pm). Taught at Summit Point Raceway in West Virginia, on
CCS race weekends. $140, with a $20 discount for pre-entry. Qualifies you
for a CCS license (for another $50) and racing the same weekend.

Team Suzuki Endurance Advanced Riders School
Travels the country. Instruction from Former GP rider David Aldana and
current members of the national endurance championship team. Can be taken
on a street bike (and most people do), but qualifies you for CSS and WERA
licenses.

Frank Kinsey
(407-267-4787) teaches the rider's school at Moroso Motorsports Park in
West Palm Beach, Florida. He also provides advanced instruction at
Roebling Road on the Friday preceding every CCS event (cost $125) and
organizes all-day beginning to advanced classes on other days ($200). He
will also provide individual or small group rider's school classroom
sessions on request.

Ed Bargy's Real Race School
803-757-3641. at various tracks in the Southeast. $165. Lots of track time
and high quality instruction from Ed. Qualifies you for WERA and CCS
licenses and you get a $50 gift certificate for Michelins.

The Southeast Sportbike Associations's School
The SSA rents tracks in the southeast for racers and street riders to get
on the track. track time is $75-$125 for the day, and the class is an
additional $25. Qualifies you for a WERA and CCS license. Concentrates on
the flagging and starting procedures and isn't a go-fast type class.

Keith Code's California Superbike School
818-246-0717, 800-530-3350, FAX: 818-246-3307 PO Box 9294, Glendale CA,
91226 or 255 Harlow Drive, Glendale CA, 91206 Qualifies you for a CCS
license.

Fasttrack Riders
805-256-7320. Willow Springs, Rosamond, CA.

WERA New RAcer Rider's School
770-924-8404. Summit Point, WV. Qualifies you for a WERA license.

[Image]

5. Tracks

[Image]

5.1 What Tracks are Local to Me & What are They Like?

There's a good Web page about this (http://www.balltown.cma.com/tracks/).
There's also a track FAQ in progress. Here's some real short blurbs.

New Hamshire International Speedway, Loudon, New Hampshire. 603-783-4931
Commonly called "Loudon." 1.6 miles, 12 turns, crisscrosses a NASCAR oval.
Site of National AMA Superbike race during Laconia Bike Week. Nice
bathrooms and showers, camping allowed, pets allowed.

Bridgehampton Race Circuit, Bridgehampton, Long Island, New York, nearly
to the eastern end of Long Island, in the swanky "Hamptons." 516-725-0888.
3100' front straight leading to blind, downhill right (must be experienced
to be understood). Bathrooms and showers, camping allowed, pets allowed.
All dirt pits.

Nelson Ledges, Garretsville, OH, near the OH/PA east of Cleveland.
216-548-8551

Summit Point Raceway, Summit Point, West Virginia, ~90 minutes West of
Baltimore. (304) 725-8444
Atlantic Motorsport Park, Shubenacadie, Nova Scotia, Canada. 8 hour ferry
ride from Portland ME + 3 hrs on the road. 1.6 mile, 11 turns, elevation
changes, blind entries and exits. Steve Crevier has the lap record.

Mosport Park, Canada

Blackhawk Farms, Beloit, WI ~1-1.5 hours NW of Chicago. 1.9 miles.

Willow Springs. 85 miles north of Los Angeles. Run by Willow Springs
Motorcycle Club (call Kenny Kopecky @ 805-256-1234, racew...@aol.com).
2.5 miles.

Stapleton Motorsports Park, the old Stapleton Airport Runways, Denver,
Colorado. 3.1 mi, 10 turns, track record 1:58:05

Second Creek Raceway, 88th Ave & Buckley Road, Denver, Colorado. 1.75 mi,
11 turns, lap record: 1:09:98.

Pueblo Motorsports Park, Pueblo Blvd, Pueblo, Colorado. 2.25 mi, 12 turns,
track record: 1:35:29

Steamboat Springs, Street Course in Southern part of the city of
Steamboat, Colorado. 1.7 miles, 10 turns, track record: 1:22:48.

Moutain View Motorsports Park, 30 miles north of Denver, Colorado, exit
245 off I25. 1.7 mi, 9 turns, track record 1:02.14.

Grattan Raceway: Located in Grattan, Michigan, about 20 minutes east of
Grand Rapids. Hosts WERA and CCS races.

Putnam Park Road Course: Located in Mt. Meridian, Indiana, about 40
minutes west of Indianapolis. WERA and CCS races.

Road America. One of the best tracks in the US.

Indianapolis Raceway Park: You guessed it, Indianapolis, Indiana, in the
suburb Clermont (right by the Speedway). WERA and CCS.

Texas World Speedway: Located in College Station, Texas. WERA races for
sure, CMRA races, and maybe CCS races (not sure).

Memphis Motorsports Park: Located in Millington, Tennesee, somewhere
around Memphis. WERA National.

Oak Hill Raceway, Henderson, Texas, WERA regionals

N.C. Motor Speedway, Rockingham, NC, WERA regionals

Hallett Motor Racing Circuit, Hallett, OK, WERA regionals

Gateway Intl Raceway, Fairmont City (St. Louis), Il, WERA regionals

Las Vegas Speedway Park, Las Vegas, NV, WERA regionals

Laguna Seca, Monterey, California. Site of US Round of World Superbike and
Grand Prix. One of the best tracks in the US.

Moroso Motorsports Park, West Palm Beach, FL. About 10 miles NW of West
Palm Beach on 710 (Beeline Hwy). 2.25 miles with 10 turns, flat, fairly
long back straight running along dragstrip. Races run by Henry DeGouw
(407)793-3394. Several grades of race gas available, pretty good
concession stands, permanent bathrooms with showers (but stinking sulfur
water), camping permitted outside the pits, no dogs.

Roebling Road, Faulkville, GA (west of Savannah, just off US80). 2.1 mi.,
9 turns, one slight elevation change, >1/2 mile long front straight,
excellent traction, bumpy now but scheduled for repaving this winter. 100,
108 and 114 octane race gas available, good concession stand, nice
bathrooms and showers, camping allowed, pets allowed.

Road Atlanta, Braselton, GA (about 30 miles NE of Atlanta off I-85). AMA
Nationals, WERA nationals (including the season finale GNF), and WERA
regionals. One of the best US tracks. 2.5 miles over rolling hills, very
high speed back straight into the unique dip known as Gravity Cavity. Lots
of paved pit area, concession and gift stands, several grades of race gas,
really nice bathrooms and showers, camping allowed, pets allowed. Quiet
time imposed by local ordinance from 10:00-12:30 Sunday.

Talladega Gran Prix Raceway, Talladega, AL. 1.3 miles, flat. WERA
regionals and national. Fair concession stand, permanent bathrooms w/
showers - okay once you sweep out the spiders and other critters, camping
allowed, all grass pits with gravel driveway (hard to do bump starts).

Daytona International Speedway, Daytona Beach, FL. 3.6 miles incorporating
the tricky infield section with the high speed banking and back straight.
Paved pit area, some open garages, some enclosed garages (fees charged
during Bike Week, free first come/first served during Race of Champions).
No camping, no pets, decent bathrooms, fair-good concession stands, heavy
security.

Portland International Raceway (PIT), Portland Oregon. WERA Pro Races.

Hawaii Raceway Park, West side of Oahu, about 40 minutes out of Honolulu.
1 1/3 miles long, run in a counterclockwise direction, and is decent in
it's safety value. Lap records in the low :55 (808) 833-RACE.

[Image]

6. Other info

[Image]

6.1 Where Do I Go To Get Other Info?

There are several nationwide US periodicals that cover Roadracing extensively:

Roadracing World and Motorcycle Technology
PO Box 1428
Lake Elsinore, CA 92531
published monthly, $18/year

American Roadracing
PO Box 3320
7439 Elbow Bend, Suite C
Carefree, AZ 85377-3320
published monthly, $20/year

National Privateer
P.O. Box 3465
West Palm Beach, FL 33402-3465
(407)689-9267
published monthly, $24/13 months for your subscription,
$12/year for second subscription (parents, etc),
#35/year for Canada or Mexico

Cycle News
PO Box 498
Long Beach, CA 90801-0498
published weekly, $38/year

On-line, there are a number of places:

rec.motorcycles.racing

Race Email list: send "subscribe race" to Majo...@thumper.Lerc.NASA.GOV

Motorcycle Online: http://www.motorcycle.com/motorcycle.html

Roadracing Today (http://www.bikenet.co.uk/rr-t/rr-t.html)

The official rules are in the race orginizations rulebooks; contact them for
copies (you can usually get a freebie).

Duke Robillard, du...@iscp.bellcore.com

Article: 13814 of rec.motorcycles.racing
From: du...@iscp.bellcore.com (Duke Robillard)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.racing
Subject: [rec.motorcycles.racing] How to Become a Motorcycle Roadracer, V3.4 (modified 17 Jan 95)
Date: 18 Jan 1996 09:45:17 -0500
Sender: du...@annwn.iscp.bellcore.com

How to Become a Motorcycle Roadracer

Version 3.4

This is a list of Frequently Asked Questions about becoming a Motorcycle
Roadracer. It is maintained by Duke Robillard, du...@cc.belcore.com (that's
me!). Please send any and all additions, corrections, clarfications, and
suggestions to me.

A new version of this document appears approximately monthly, sometime
around the 17th.

Thanks to Dash Weeks and Doug Pinckney, this FAQ is on the WWW at
http://www.openix.com/~dougp/racerfaq.html. Dash did the initial html
conversion, and Doug provided the home.

[...]

frame. You can find race prepped specimens for under $2000. It's
[...]

on. As a little twin, it's legal for lots of classes.

[...]

There're a number of good Web pages on tracks

* World Tracks: http://www.bath.ac.uk/~py3dlg/tracks.html/
* NA Tracks: http://www.emi.com/~rwelty/tracks/
* NA Tracks (old): http://www.balltown.cma.com/tracks/
* USA Tracks: http://www.bath.ac.uk/~py3dlg/usa.htm
* Road America: http://www.dataplusnet.com/ra.html
* Loudon: http://www.iconode.ca/efarber/startlne.html
* Laguna Seca: http://www.laguna-seca.com/
* British Tracks: http://www.bmrc.co.uk/index.html

In fact, these sites are so good that I'm probably gonna drop this track
section in the near future. Until then, here're some real short blurbs on
tracks.

New Hamshire International Speedway, Loudon, New Hampshire.
603-783-4931 Commonly called "Loudon." 1.6 miles, 12 turns,
crisscrosses a NASCAR oval. Site of National AMA Superbike race during
Laconia Bike Week. Track record 1'13'xx'' by Freddie Spencer in June
1995. Nice bathrooms, showers, and garages. camping allowed, pets
allowed. http://www.iconode.ca/efarber/startlne.html.

Bridgehampton Race Circuit, Bridgehampton, Long Island, New York,
nearly to the eastern end of Long Island, in the swanky "Hamptons."
516-725-0888. 3100' front straight leading to blind, downhill right
(must be experienced to be understood). Bathrooms and showers, camping
allowed, pets allowed. All dirt pits.

Nelson Ledges, Garretsville, OH, near the OH/PA border, east of
Cleveland. 216-548-8551.

Summit Point Raceway, Summit Point, West Virginia, ~90 minutes West of
Baltimore. (304) 725-8444
Atlantic Motorsport Park, Shubenacadie, Nova Scotia, Canada. 8 hour
ferry ride from Portland ME + 3 hrs on the road. 1.6 mile, 11 turns,
elevation changes, blind entries and exits. Steve Crevier has the lap
record.

Mosport Park, 60 miles east of Toronto, Canada. 905-513-0550.
http://www.inforamp.net:80/~mosport/pro/

[...]

Road America, Elkhart Lake, WI. One of the best tracks in the US.

Indianapolis Raceway Park: You guessed it, Indianapolis, Indiana, in
the suburb Clermont (right by the Speedway). WERA and CCS.

Texas World Speedway: Located in College Station, Texas. WERA races for
sure, CMRA races, and maybe CCS races (not sure).

Memphis Motorsports Park: Located in Millington, Tennesee, somewhere
around Memphis. WERA National.

Oak Hill Raceway, Henderson, Texas, WERA regionals

N.C. Motor Speedway, Rockingham, NC, WERA regionals

Hallett Motor Racing Circuit, Hallett, OK. 1.8 mile, 10 turns. WERA
regionals. http://www.tulsaweb.com/hallett.

http://www.laguna-seca.com/

Moroso Motorsports Park, West Palm Beach, FL. About 10 miles NW of West
Palm Beach on 710 (Beeline Hwy). 2.25 miles with 10 turns, flat, fairly
long back straight running along dragstrip. Races run by Henry DeGouw
(407)793-3394. Several grades of race gas available, pretty good
concession stands, permanent bathrooms with showers (but stinking
sulfur water), camping permitted outside the pits, no dogs.

Roebling Road, Faulkville, GA (west of Savannah, just off US80). 2.1
mi., 9 turns, one slight elevation change, >1/2 mile long front
straight, excellent traction, bumpy now but scheduled for repaving this
winter. 100, 108 and 114 octane race gas available, good concession
stand, nice bathrooms and showers, camping allowed, pets allowed.

[...]

Brands Hatch, SE England.

Cadwell Park, England

Donington Park, Central England

Mallory Park, Central England

Oulton Park, Central England

Knockhill, Southern Scotland

Pembrey, Wales

Silverstone, Southern England

Snetterton, England

Thruxton, Southern England

6. Other info

6.1 Where Do I Go To Get Other Info?

There are several nationwide US periodicals that cover Roadracing
extensively:

Roadracing World and Motorcycle Technology
PO Box 1428
Lake Elsinore, CA 92531
published monthly, $18/year

American Roadracing
PO Box 3320
7439 Elbow Bend, Suite C
Carefree, AZ 85377-3320
published 10 months a year, $20/year

National Privateer
P.O. Box 3465
West Palm Beach, FL 33402-3465
(407)689-9267
published monthly, $24/13 months for your subscription,
$12/year for second subscription (parents, etc),
$35/year for Canada or Mexico

Cycle News
PO Box 498
Long Beach, CA 90801-0498
published weekly, $38/year

On-line, there are a number of places:

rec.motorcycles.racing

Race Email list: send "subscribe race" to
Majo...@thumper.Lerc.NASA.GOV

Motorcycle Online: http://www.motorcycle.com/motorcycle.html

Roadracing Today (http://www.bikenet.co.uk/rr-t/rr-t.html)

The official rules are in the race orginizations rulebooks; contact them for
copies (you can usually get a freebie).

Duke Robillard, du...@iscp.bellcore.com

Article: 19969 of rec.motorcycles.racing
From: du...@tpsinc.com (Duke Robillard)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.racing,rec.answers,news.answers
Subject: [rec.motorcycles.racing] How to Become a Motorcycle Roadracer, V3.9 (modified 17 June 96)
Date: 17 Jun 1996 13:05:37 GMT

Archive-name: motorcycles/how-to-roadrace
Posting-Frequency: monthly, near the 17th
Last-modified: 1996/6/17
Version: 3.9
Expires: Mon, 2 September 1996 00:00:00 GMT

How to Become a Motorcycle Roadracer

Version 3.9

Copyright 1996 (C) Robert Robillard

This is a list of Frequently Asked Questions about becoming a Motorcycle
Roadracer. It is maintained by Duke Robillard, du...@tpsinc.com (that's me!).
Please send me any additions, corrections, clarfications, or suggestions.

A new version of this document usually appears monthly, sometime around the
17th. It was last modified on June 17, 1996, and its travels may have taken
it far from its original home on Usenet. It may now be out-of-date,
particularly if you are looking at a printed copy or one retrieved from a
tertiary archive site or CD-ROM. You can always obtain the most up-to-date
copy by anonymous ftp from sites ftp.eskimo.com, rtfm.mit.edu, or ftp.uu.net
or by sending the e-mail message "help" to mail-...@rtfm.mit.edu.

This article was produced for free redistribution. You should not need to
pay anyone for a copy of it.

Thanks to Dash Weeks and Doug Pinckney, this FAQ is on the WWW at
http://www.openix.com/~dougp/racerfaq.html. Dash did the initial html
conversion, and Doug provided the home.

This FAQ is very USA-centric, (even Northeastern US-centric) because that's
what I know. Please send me other stuff so I can add it.

You may wonder why I think I'm an authority on this subject. Well, I've got
a racing license, which is more than you! :->

Seriously, I'm no authority at all, but I have spent the last 18 months or
so going through the process of getting started. I got a tremendous amount
of help from people, both on-line and off, and I thought maybe I could do
something to help pay back my karmic debt.

Thanks to everyone on the race list race list (rac...@teleport.com,
"subscribe race-l" to Majo...@teleport.com). I stole a lot of this from
your postings. You are the best resource a newbie racer ever had. Thanks in
particular to Hardy Kornfeld, Billy Brownsberger, Paul George, Laura Hardy,
Ed McFarland, Kevin Binsfield, Jon Fleming, Phil Calvin and the illustrious
Gunn family.

Thanks also to Derek Noonburg, Ian Jackson and Steve Summit. I owe a lot of
the meta-info (formatting, disclaimers, etc) to their PowerPC, Linux, and C
FAQs.

1. Introduction

1.1 What is Motorcycle Roadracing?
1.2 What do I Need To Go Racing?
1.2.1 Where Do I Get Leathers and Such?
1.3 How Much Money Am I Going to Spend?
1.4 Am I Going To Wind Up Maimed or Dead?
1.5 What's a Typical Race Day Like?
1.6 I'm Still Not Sure I Want to Do This, How Can I Find Out?
1.7 What About Medical Insurance?

2. Motorcycles & Race Classes

2.1 What Bike Should I Use to Go Racing?
2.2 How Do I Find This Race-Ready Bike?
2.3 What Class Should I Race in?
2.4 What's This "YSR" Stuff I Hear About?
2.5 What's This "Mini-Moto" Stuff I Hear About?
2.6 What is "Race-prepping"?
2.7 Do You Insure Race Bikes?

3. Racing Organizations

3.1 What's a Racing Organization?
3.2 What are the US Organizations by Geographical Area?

4. Racing Schools

4.1 What's a Racing School?
4.2 Racing Schools: When, Where, How Much?

5. Tracks

5.1 What Tracks are Local to Me & What are They Like?

6. Other Sources

6.1 Where Do I Go To Get Other Info?

7. Miscellaneous Stuff

7.1 Do you know any Blues Songs about Racing Motorcycles?
7.2 Why do Road Racers Stick Out Their Inside Knee?

[...]

The gear is vital. New race leathers are somewhere close to $1000, and
worth every penny. They've got serious weight leather, foam padding,
and hard plastic body armour. Racing gloves cost up to $100, and boots
cost up to $300. Helmets are the same as street helmets; $150-$500,
depending on paint scheme :->

Don't try to cheap out on any of this stuff. Used is okay (except for
helmets, of course), but if you buy crummy leathers, you'll pay for the
difference in ambulance fees and pain.

As far as getting the race-bike to the track, the cheapest thing to do
is borrow a pickup from your uncle. Failing that, you can get a
hitch-and-trailer for your Big American Car or Yuppie Sport Utility
Vehicle for between $500 and $1000, depending on quality, new or used,
weight rating, etc.

Personally, I think a van is the best solution, because it keeps the
bike out of rain, is easier to drive than a car & trailer, holds a lot
of tools and spares, and you can sleep in it. I initially bought a
hitch-and-trailer, 'cause it was cheaper, and I've just upgraded to a
van.

Don't ride your bike to the track, because then when you wad it up in
turn 6, you won't be able to get it home.

1.2.1 Where Do I Get Leathers and Such?

Some gear companies commonly used by racers:

o AGV. Frederick, MD 21701, 800-950-9006. They have a sponsorship
program for anyone with a license, and inexpensive leathers. Cool
boots and gloves, too. And the Max Biaggi Replica Helmet...Yum.
Max is cool.

o Vanson Leathers, 617-344-5444, 213 Turnpike St Stoughton, MA. I
bought my leathers here--they're great people to deal with and the
leathers are primo.

o Syed Leathers, 11349 S. Orange Blossom Trail, Orlando, FL. (800)
486-6635, (407) 857-SYED, fax (407) 857-9233.

o Z Custom Leathers, Huntington Beach, CA (714) 890-5721

o Dinar Leathers, Lebanon, NJ (908) 236-0512, fax (908) 236-0513

o Dainese. No direct contact info (they're Italian), but you can get
them at lots of shops. You might try MOTORACE, P.O. Box 861,
Wilbraham, MA 01095. Tel: 800-628-4040, Fax: 413-731-8999, E.Mail:
MOTO...@aol.com

o Alpinstars. Boots of Champions.

o Held. Gloves of Asphalt Resistance.

1.3 How Much Money Am I Going to Spend?

You can do the first year for less than $6000, including buying a used
bike and protective gear. After that, it should be cheaper, until you
need a new bike, or start messing with your engine. If you buy a bike
in need of a lot of repair, you may wind up spending more than that.

I've found a weekend at the races typically runs less than $300,
[...]

But there's just no getting around the fact that this is a dangerous
sport. If that bothers you a lot, maybe you should take the advice of a
friend of mine, who suggested I try chess instead. :-> Remember: "It
ain't a sport if it can't kill you."

1.5 What's a Typical Race Day Like?

At six am, you're awakened by the guy in the pit to your left, working
on the jetting of his 2 stroke (WWIINNNNNGG). You didn't get to sleep
until 1am, because Otis The Wonder Dog (staying in the pit to your
right) was barking at the TV plugged into their Honda generator. You
[...]

out one of the many track classes, like Reg Pridmore's CLASS,
TrackRiders, Keith Code's Superbike School, the Team Suzuki Endurance
Riding School, or the MARRC Penguin, or Ed Bargy/WERA Roadracing
School. Each of these organizations offer track time at minimal expense
(you can use your street bike, or sometimes rent a race bike) and teach
[...]

and get free lunch.

Cornerworking is also a good suggestion for people who are concerned
about the possibility of injury. There is nothing like spending a day
watching people get back on their bikes after crashing.

1.7 What About Medical Insurance?

Some medical polices cover you for track injuries, and some don't. Call
your insurance company and find out. If you're not covered, you'll need
to get a special policy. The American Motorcycle Association (AMA) has
a policy called ARMOR that covers you in AMA sanctioned events. (Call
the AMA to see if your series is sanctioned.)

Don't race without medical insurance. If you think an aftermarket shock
is expensive, wait till you price those external fixators for broken
bones. Seriously, a big racing injury can easily bankrupt you.

2. Motorcycles & Race Classes

2.1 What Bike Should I Use to Go Racing?

The conventional wisdom is that you should start on small bikes, and
learn to ride before you get enough horsepower to really hurt yourself.
In the US, the most popular starter racing bikes are the Kawasaki
EX-500, the Yamaha FZR 400, the Honda Hawk GT-650, and Your Current
Street Bike.

o Kawasaki EX-500

Made from 1987-1996, this is a 500cc parallel twin with a cradle
frame. You can find race prepped specimens for under $2000. It's
not the best handling of these bikes, but it's cheap and probably
fine for starters. As a little twin, it's legal for lots of
classes. There's a mailing list filled with racers: send
"subscribe ex500 your-address" to Majo...@msri.org

o Yamaha FZR 400

Imported to the US from 1988-1990, this is a 400cc inline four,
with an aluminum "Deltabox" twin-spar frame. The 1990 model had
twin front brake calipers and a Deltabox swingarm. Race ready
versions are usually close to $3000. This is probably the best of
the three, but it also costs the most. I bought this one, because
I didn't want to worry about whether the problem was me or the
bike; with the FZR, I know it's me. There's a mailing list for
this bike also: send "subscribe fzr-400 your-address" in the body
of a message to majo...@openix.com

[...]

one for modifed motors. The USCRA also has a class for the RD 350
Yamaha.

One of the main advantages of vintage roadracing is that it is a fixed
target. Once you sort out a machine you can race it year after year;
there are no new Vintage bikes coming out. Most clubs rules are very
stable and do not allow new technology to creep into the classes.

No matter what bike you race, it's simplier if you get a bike already
racing in the class you're going to join. And stay as close to stock as
you can; you need to spend the first season learning to race, not
working on your porting.

2.2 How Do I Find This Race-Ready Bike?

The best ways are

1. hang around the pits at your local racetrack (see 5.1) and look
for "For Sale" signs,

2. check the classifieds in Cycle News, Roadracing World, or American
Roadracing (see 6.1),

3. check around the newsgroup and mailing list (see 6.1)

2.3 What Class Should I Race In?

Most organizations have different racing classes divided up by engine
displacement, 2-stroke vs 4-stroke, number of cylinders, and how much
magic has been performed on the bike. Take CCS, for instance (see 3.2).
It has a couple of "Lightweight" classes for production-based street
bikes. These classes allow 4 stroke bikes with 4 cylinders up to 400cc
or 4 stroke twins up to 650cc. "Lightweight Supersport" is for mildly
altered bikes (new pipes, jetting and suspensions) and "Lightweight
Superbike" is for bikes with titanium con-rods and such. (The details
of what's legal and what's not are more complicated, but that's the
general idea.) The grids for these classes are filled with the three
bikes mentioned in 2.1

You're usually allowed to "race up a class," which means you can ride a
600cc bike in the 750cc class. On some tight, twisty tracks, you might
not even be at much of a disadvantage. At the AMA national at Loudon,
for instance, there's usually a 600 in the top ten of the 750
Supersport races. And in the beginner classes, slow bikes with fast
riders beat fast bikes with slow riders all the time.

It's a good idea to start in relatively slow, lightweight classes. If
[...]

The Texas Mini-GP Series (TMGPS), run by Dennie Spears (409-776-8898)
and Scott Shaeffer (whose name I can't spell). They race monthly in
Houston and Dallas, and have a wide range of classes from stock to
superbike.

Also, in Texas, try the CMRA (800) 423-8736. In Toronto, contact the
Nifty-50 racing club (905) 830-1021. In California, try the CMRRA at
909-674-5357. British Columbia is home to the Pacific Coast YSR Club,
whose number I don't have.

2.5 What's This "Mini-Moto" Stuff I Hear About?

Mini-Motos are little miniature motorcycles--like 8 inches high, 3 feet
long, and 50lbs. They've got little 2-stroke engines, no suspension,
tires that feel like real race tires, and cost $1500. People race them
in parking lots and sometimes on go-kart tracks. Supposedly, they'll do
60mph, given a long enough run. It's something to see.

2.6 What is "Race-Prepping"?

"Race-prepping" is getting your bike ready to race. If you've bought a
bike that's already been racing, race-prepping is all the grunt work
you don't have to do. It means stripping off all the street stuff
(lights, signals, kickstands, etc), replacing the radiator coolent with
water, safety-wiring anything you wouldn't want to come loose at speed,
putting on number plates, adding a steering damper, etc.

"Safety-wiring" is drilling little holes through the heads of bolts
that hold on important stuff, running wire through those holes, and
then attaching the wire to some fixed point, or to another bolt. This
makes it impossible for the bolt to turn, no matter how much it
vibrates and bounces. Obvious targets for safety wiring are oil drain
plugs, fork oil drains, the remote shock reservoir (mine fell off once)
and brake caliper bolts.

It is really helpful to have someone show you how and what to safety
wire; the race rulebooks are not very clear or complete. When you go to
the track to hang around before becoming a racer, you can check this
out, perhaps asking someone for hints and help. Most racers are very
helpful about this kind of thing, and love to talk about their bikes.
(Just don't catch them 10 minutes before their next race.)

Every organization has its own specific rules about race-prepping.
You'll find them in the rulebooks (see 6.1 and 3.2).

2.7 Do You Insure Race Bikes?

No.

That's a little extreme, but not much. Some people do get special theft
insurance if the bike is really valuable (like a 916 or RC45). There's
no such thing as liabilty insurance on the racetrack. If somebody hits
you, you might be able to yell at him, but he's not paying to fix your
bike. And for God's sake, don't get a lawyer and sue him--that will be
the end of amateur racing. There's no such thing as collision insurance
either. If you slide your bike into the wall, you buy the new front end
yourself.

3. Racing Organizations

3.1 What's a Racing Organization?

A Racing Organization is a group that sanctions races. They set up the
weekends, officiate, keep the records, and take your money. They also
issue racing licenses.

In the US, The Western Eastern Roadracing Association (WERA) and the
Championship Cup Series (CCS) are nation-wide organizations, with
regional series spread across the country. No matter where you live,
you can race under one of these two. If you do really well in your
region, you can go to the Grand National Final (WERA, Road Atlanta) or
the Race of Champions (CCS, Daytona) at the end of the season.

Another national organization is American Historic Racing Motorcycle
Association (AHRMA), which runs vintage racing and "alternative types
of modern roadracing that otherwise would not receive the exposure they
deserve. These include Sound of Singles (SOS), Battle of Twins (BOT),
and the British-European-American Racing Series (BEARS)." These are
very cool races to watch, because they've got bikes you don't see
anywhere else, like Brittens and Saxon-framed three cylinder modern
Triumphs.

In addition, there are a lot of local organizations, some of which are
associated with WERA and/or CSS, and some of which are independent.

3.2 What are the US Organizations by Geographical Area?

USA (Nationwide):

Western Eastern Roadracing Association (WERA), 3446 Bells Ferry
Rd., PO Box 440549, Kennesaw, GA 30144. Phone: 770-924-8404, Fax:
770-924-1277, wer...@aol.com. (This is the new address; they just
moved). See The Ludwig Motorsports page
(http://fly.hiwaay.net/~pjludwig/) for the 1996 Rules and the 1996
schedule.

Championship Cup Series (CCS), 704-684-4297. See The Ludwig
Motorsports page (http://fly.hiwaay.net/~pjludwig) for the 1996
schedule.

American Historic Racing Motorcycle Association (AHRMA), PO Box
882, Wausau, WI 54402-08822, 715-842-9699, fax: 715-842-9545. See
http://www.cp.duluth.mn.us/ahrma/ for membership information and
schedules.

Canada (Nationwide):

Association Sportive Motocycliste (ASM), 322 Raymond Casgrain,
Laval, QC, H7N 5N8. Phone: (514) 663-2431, fax: (514)663-5816.

[...]

AM Canadian Racing Association (AMCRA). Based at Atlantic
Motorsport Park (AMP), Shubenacadie, Nova Scotia.

Mid-Atlantic US:

CCS MidAtlantic Region

WERA Mid-Atlantic Region

Mid-Atlantic Road Racing Club (MARRC), 703 435-1223. Provides
safety crew for WERA and CCS regional races, and runs a school and
open practice days at Summit Point, WV.

Southeast US:

CCS Southeast Region

CCS Florida Region (Talladega,)

Southeastern Sportbike Association (SSA). runs a school and open
practice days at Road Atlanta, GA.

Northern US:

WERA NorthCentral Region

CCS Great Lakes Region

Central Roadracing Association (CRA), 612-3324.
http://www1.minn.net:80/~cra/

Mid West US:

WERA MidCentral Region.

Central Motorcycle Racing Association (CMRA): local organization
that's the WERA affiliate. (800) 423-8736.

CCS Mid West Region.

CCS Great Plains Region.

Midwest Cafe Racing Association 314-771-2531

Mid West Canada:

Manitoba Roadracing Association, 204-775-9473

Calgary Motorcycle Roadracing Association, 403-280-3144

Western US:

CCS Great Plains Region

WERA MidCentral Region

Motorcycle Roadracing Association (MRA), PO Box 40187, Denver,
Colorado 80204. 303-530-5678. http://128.138.166.160/Wardell/mra/.
Races at Second Creek Raceway, Pueblo Motorsports Park, Moutain
View Motorsports Park, & Stapleton Motorsports Park.

American Federation of Motorcyclists (AFM), 510-796-7005.
http://www.afmracing.org/ PO Box 5018-333 Newark, CA 94560.

Willow Springs Motorcycle Club (WSMC), PO Box 911, Rosamond
California, 93560-0911. 805-256-1234, fax 805-256-1583,
racew...@aol.com.
http://motorcycle.com/ericm/mobbs/racewsmc.html.

California Motorcycle Road Race Association (CMRRA). 909-674-5357.
15023 Valencia Street, Lake Elsinore, CA 92530. Races at Lake
Perris Raceway & Willow Springs.

North West US:

Oregon Motorcycle Road Racing Association (OMRRA), PO Box 6388
Portland, Oregon, 97228, 503-221-1487.

Washington Motorcycle Road Racing Association, (WMRRA)
206-972-4499.

Northwest 883 Twins, 604-585-HAWG.

South West US:

CCS South West Region

WERA SouthCentral Region

4. Racing Schools

4.1 What's a Racing School?

What, you think Kevin Schwantz was born that way? He had to learn
somewhere. A beginner race school will teach you the basic stuff about
how to survive on the track, what the various flags mean, what a
cornerworker does, and so on. You usually need to take a school in
order to get a racing license from one of the race organizations.

Later on, you can take advanced race schools, in order to trim some
seconds off your lap times.

4.2 Racing Schools: When, Where, How Much?

See The Ludwig Motorsports page (http://fly.hiwaay.net/~pjludwig) for a
list of 1996 dates.

[...]

FasTrack Riders
310-699-2305. Willow Springs, Rosamond, CA. Classes given at Willow
Springs. Tom Sera is now the guy in charge.

[...]

Atlantic Motorsport Park (AMP), Shubenacadie, Nova Scotia, Canada. 8
[...]

Sears Point, The SF Bay Area, California.

[...]

Dialed In! - The Magazine For Roadracers Only
Havelin Communications, Inc.
PO Box 76595
Atlanta, GA 30358
$10 for 9 issues published Feb thru Oct

On-line, there are a number of places:

Ludwig Motorsports: Privateer Roadracing. Patrick Ludwig is a frequent
contributor to the race list (see below). His home page has
lots'o'stuff (WERA rules, school and race schedules, etc).

rec.motorcycles.racing, our beloved newsgroup.

Race Email list. Send "subscribe race-l" to Majo...@teleport.com.
This is generally a very high signal-to-noise ratio list, and it has a
number of regional and national champions on it.

Motorcycle Online. http://www.motorcycle.com/motorcycle.html. This is a
very cool on-line Bike magazine.

Roadracing Today (http://www.bikenet.co.uk/rr-t/rr-t.html)

The official rules are in the race orginizations rulebooks; contact them for
copies (you can usually get a freebie).

7. Miscellaneous Stuff

7.1 Do you know any Blues Songs about RoadRacing?

Funny you should ask; I just wrote one.

Superbike Blues

by Duke Robillard, the computer programmer, not the guitar player

I crashed my bike at Loudon, lost the front in number three.
I crashed my bike at Loudon, lost the front in number three.
Now I'm heading down to Georgia,
That ole bridge, it don't scare me.

Daytona in the Springtime, Loudon late in June.
I'm racing motorcycles, down the road to ruin.

Oh....
I crashed my bike at Loudon, lost the front in number three.
I crashed my bike at Loudon, lost the front in number three.
Now I'm heading down to Georgia,
That ole bridge, it don't scare me.

Feel free to contribute a verse.

7.2 Why do Road Racers Stick Out Their Inside Knee?

(Thanks to Duncan Hardy (dun...@ducati.uk.sun.com) for the bulk of this
answer, and to Jobst Brandt (jbr...@hpl.hp.com) for the effect lean has on
the tire performance.

1. It helps to let the rider 'hang off' the bike. By sliding his ass off
the inside of the seat, the rider's body weight is moved towards the
inside of the corner. This means the bike needs less lean for a given
speed and turn radius. As ground clearance is often the limiting factor
in cornering (particularly at higher speed) this allows the rider to
corner at higher speeds.

Here's some nerd info that describes turning geometry:

t= arctan [ v^2/(g*R) ]

v is your velocity, R is the radius of your turn, g is the
gravitational constant. t is the "lean angle." It's the angle between

1. the horizontal, and
2. a line from the contact patch of your tires through the center of
gravity of the bike-rider system.

Hanging off and sticking out your knee moves the CG of the system to
the inside, while leaving the bike more upright, so you don't run out
of ground clearance.

Aside from running out of ground clearance, a second limiting effect is
caused by excessive lean. At lean angles below 45 degrees from the
horizontal, tires no longer purely roll and are rotating more about a
vertical axis rather than a horizontal one. This makes them act more
like a rotary brush of a street sweeper than a rolling wheel. With
steep lean, the contact patch twists in place scrubbing away traction
and power so that leaning farther reduces cornering ability and
ultimately causes a washout in the turn. Incidentally, since cars do
not lean, they do not exhibit this behaviour, and can corner with
greater G-forces than motos.

2. Some riders like to 'feel' the road so they know their lean angle. (You
can't afford to look down). It doesn't hurt - they wear pucks on their
knees to avoid damage. Only problem sometimes is the rumble strips on
car circuits.

3. Top riders can use their knee to change the balance of the bike, for
example taking some of the weight off the rear wheel when they want to
induce a bit more slip.

4. Some will claim it also aids braking (because of air drag) going into a
corner. Every little bit helps....
--
Duke Robillard, du...@io.com

Article: 26753 of rec.motorcycles.racing
From: du...@tpsinc.com (Duke Robillard, Bare Bone$ Racing)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.racing,rec.answers,news.answers
Subject: [rec.motorcycles.racing] How to Become a Motorcycle Roadracer, V3.11 (modified 17 October 96)
Date: 17 Oct 1996 17:05:01 -0500
Sender: du...@xanadu.io.com

How to Become a Motorcycle Roadracer

Version 3.11

Copyright 1996 (C) Robert Robillard

This is a list of Frequently Asked Questions about becoming a Motorcycle
Roadracer. It is maintained by Duke Robillard, du...@tpsinc.com (that's me!).
Please send me any additions, corrections, clarfications, or suggestions.

A new version of this document usually appears monthly, sometime around the
17th. It was last modified on October 17, 1996, and its travels may have
[...]

A couple of good cornerwork organizations are the US Marshalls, which
runs the safety crew at Loudon and Bridgehampton, and
* MARRC, which does the hard work at Summit Point.

[...]

There are mini-racing (as it's also called) group around North
America--check the YSR 50 Racing page for more details; they've got
addresses and numbers for groups around the continent.

[...]

Laconia Bike Week. Track record 1'13'xx'' by Tom Kipp in June 1996.

Sears Point, the SF Bay Area, California. http://www.searspoint.com.

[...]

lots'o'stuff (CCS & WERA rules, school and race schedules, etc).

[...]

Article: 35194 of rec.motorcycles.racing
From: du...@io.com (Duke Robillard)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.racing,rec.answers,news.answers
Subject: [rec.motorcycles.racing] How to Become a Motorcycle Roadracer
Date: 25 Apr 1997 15:35:51 -0500

Archive-name: motorcycles/how-to-roadrace
Posting-Frequency: monthly, near the 17th
Last-modified: 1996/4/17
Version: 3.15
Expires: Fri, 4 July 1997 00:00:00 GMT

How to Become a Motorcycle Roadracer

Version 3.15

Copyright 1997 (C) Robert Robillard

This is a list of Frequently Asked Questions about becoming a Motorcycle
Roadracer. It is maintained by Duke Robillard, du...@tpsinc.com (that's me!).
Please send me any additions, corrections, clarfications, or suggestions. In
particular, if you find a dead link, please let me know...it's hard to keep
up with stuff as it moves 'round. Also, this FAQ is very USA-centric, (even
Northeastern US-centric) because that's what I know. Please send me other
stuff so I can add it.

A new version of this document usually appears monthly, sometime around the
17th. It was last modified on April 17, 1997, and its travels may have taken
it far from its original home on Usenet. It may now be out-of-date,
particularly if you are looking at a printed copy or one retrieved from a
tertiary archive site or CD-ROM. You can always obtain the most up-to-date
copy on the WWW at http://www.io.com/~duke/newrrfaq.htm. It is also
available by anonymous ftp from sites ftp.eskimo.com, rtfm.mit.edu, or
ftp.uu.net, or by sending the e-mail message "help" to
mail-...@rtfm.mit.edu. Lastly, a draft of the next version is usually on
http://www.io.com/~duke/newfaq.htm. This is the "Beta" version...it's got
stuff I'm working on and it could very well be broken at any given time.
This article was produced for free redistribution. You should not need to
pay anyone for a copy of it.

You may wonder why I think I'm an authority on this subject. Well, I've got
a racing license, which is more than you! :-> Seriously, I'm no authority at
all, but I did spend the last 2 years or so going through the process of
getting started. I got a tremendous amount of help from people, both on-line
and off, and I thought maybe I could do something to help pay back my karmic
debt.

Thanks to everyone on the race list race list (ra...@micapeak.com, "subscribe
race Your-Name" to list...@micapeak.com). I stole a lot of this from your
postings. You are the best resource a newbie racer ever had. Thanks in
particular to Hardy Kornfeld, Billy Brownsberger, Paul George, Laura Hardy,
Ed McFarland, Kevin Binsfield, Jon Fleming, Phil Calvin and the illustrious
Gunn family.

Thanks to Dash Weeks and Doug Pinckney for the WWW-ization of this FAQ. Dash
did the initial html conversion, and Doug provided the initial home. Doug
and I are both prouds members of Bare Bones Racing.

Thanks also to Derek Noonburg, Ian Jackson and Steve Summit. I owe a lot of
the meta-info (formatting, disclaimers, etc) to their PowerPC, Linux, and C
FAQs. Thanks to Carl Paukstis for his Motorcycle Mailing List Roundup, which
is a great thing, and also where I got some addresses.

Contents

[...]

7.1 Why do Road Racers Stick Out Their Inside Knee?
7.2 Where Can I Get Racing Supplies?

[...]

bike out of the rain, is easier to drive than a car & trailer, holds a
lot of tools and spares, and you can sleep in it. I initially bought a
hitch-and-trailer, 'cause it was cheaper, and then I upgraded to a van.

[...]

bike and protective gear, spares, and a trailer set-up. After that, it
[...]

on the jetting of his 2 stroke (WWWINNNNNGG). You didn't get to sleep
until 1am, because Otis The Wonder Dog (staying in the pit to your
right) was barking at the TV plugged into the Honda generator. You try
[...]

out one of the many track classes, like Reg Pridmore's CLASS, dp Safety
School, TrackRiders, Keith Code's California Superbike School, the Team
Suzuki Endurance Advanced Riding School, Ed Bargy's Real Race School,
or the MARRC, Penguin, or WERA Roadracing Schools. Each of these
organizations offer track time at minimal expense (you can use your
street bike, or sometimes rent a race bike) and teach riding techniques
valid for all speeds and all types of riding. See 4.1 for more info on
these.

There are a number of on-line racers who blame their current obsessions
on attending CLASS (805-933-9936).

Another excellent idea is to go to the races a couple of times and hang
out in the pits. If you can find a racer who might need crew, volunteer
to go along and help. This is the best way to learn the routine. This
[...]

the AMA to see if your series is sanctioned. AHRMA, LRRS (the Northeast
CCS region) and the Great Lakes Road Racing Associated (GLRRA) are
sanctioned.

Don't race without medical insurance. If you think an aftermarket shock
is expensive, wait till you price those external fixators for broken
bones. Seriously, a big racing injury can easily bankrupt you.

CONTENTS

2. Motorcycles & Race Classes

2.1 What Bike Should I Use to Go Racing?

The conventional wisdom is that you should start on small bikes, and
learn to ride before you get enough horsepower to really hurt yourself.
In the US, the most popular starter racing bikes are the Kawasaki
EX-500, the Yamaha FZR 400, the Honda Hawk GT-650, and Your Current
Street Bike.

o Kawasaki EX-500

Made from 1987-1997, this is a 500cc parallel twin with a cradle
frame. You can find race prepped specimens for under $2000. It's
not the best handling of these bikes, but it's cheap and fine for
starters. As a little twin, it's legal for lots of classes.
There's a mailing list filled with racers: send 'SUBSINGLE' in the
body of the message to EX500-...@lists.best.com. There's also
a Home Page (http://www.sport-twin.com/EX500Hm.shtml) with a FAQ
and a lot of good stuff.

o Yamaha FZR 400

Imported to the US from 1988-1990, this is a 400cc inline four,
with an aluminum "Deltabox" twin-spar frame. The 1990 model had
twin front brake calipers and a Deltabox swingarm. Race ready
versions are usually close to $3000. This is probably the best of
the three, but it also costs the most. I bought this one, because
I didn't want to worry about whether the problem was me or the
bike; with the FZR, I know it's me. There's a mailing list for
this bike also: send "subscribe fzr-400 your-address" in the body
of a message to majo...@openix.com

o Honda Hawk GT 650

Made from 1988-1990, this is a 650cc V-twin, with a twin-spar
frame. Race ready versions are around $2500. The engine is a
little weak in stock form, but can really breath fire when worked
on. As a little twin, it's legal for lots of classes. There's a
mailing list for this bike also: send your request to join and
your email address to hawkgt-...@dsea.com (this is a human
being processed subscription).

o Your Current Street Bike

This bike has one obvious advantage: it's nearly free (you do have
to spend some money race prepping it). A lot of people start on
their 600 Sportbikes; in my region, the Amateur 600cc grids are
completely packed. The disadvantage of this bike is that when you
wreck it, you've got no street bike. An even worse problem would
be wrecking it on the street and having no race bike! In addition,
it's a royal pain to rip all the street stuff (lights, signals,
etc) off every weekend, and when your suspension is set up
correctly for the track, it's unrideable on the street. A final
warning: some organizations don't let novices on anything bigger
than a 750.

A good way to pick a bike is to go to your local track, hang out in the
pits, talk to people your own age who are smiling, find out what they
are riding and why. Look at how many bikes are in each class, and how
the racing is going. Some classes are just for nut cases (I would never
say that about any particular class, like, oh, say, the Amateur 600's).
Other classes have an air or respect for their fellow riders.

Some people start in vintage racing; it's not just for retired
roadracers. A good starter bike is a CB350 Honda. They are cheap, and
in the USCRA there are two classes for them, one for stock motors and
one for modifed motors. The USCRA also has a class for the RD 350
Yamaha. One of the main advantages of vintage roadracing is that it is
a fixed target. Once you sort out a machine you can race it year after
year; there are no new Vintage bikes coming out. Most clubs rules are
very stable and do not allow new technology to creep into the classes.

No matter what bike you race, it's simplier if you buy a bike that's
already being raced in the class you're going to join--that way all the
grunt work of race-prepping has been done. And stay as close to stock
[...]

instructor explained this decision: "It was just getting too bloody."

2.4 What's this "YSR" stuff I Hear About?

Another Bike/Class option is to race YSRs. The Yamaha YSR is a 50cc or
80cc two stroke that looks like a sport bike. They are raced in parking
lots, on go cart tracks, and on regular race tracks.

YSR racing isn't as high speed as full size racing, but it is a
fantastic alternative for people who can't ante up the entrance fee for
big-time racing, or are not prepared (due to family, etc) to risk life
and limb for the pursuit of adrenaline.

YSR's also provide a semi-safe place to hone up racing skills (most of
them are directly transferrable) before stepping up to lightweights.
Crashes are not usually serious, so racers can get used to falling off.

There are mini-racing (as it's also called) group around North
America--check the YSR 50 Racing page for more details; they've got
addresses and numbers for groups around the continent. You can also
check ???

[...]

and the Sound of Thunder Series." These are very cool races to watch,
because they've got bikes you don't see anywhere else, like Brittens
and Saxon-framed three cylinder modern Triumphs.

In addition, there are a lot of local organizations, some of which are
associated with WERA and/or CSS, and some of which are independent.

The 1997 schedules for a lot of these organizations are on
http://www.io.com/~duke/mr97dates.htm

3.2 What are the US Organizations by Geographical Area?

USA (Nationwide):

Western Eastern Roadracing Association (WERA), 3446 Bells Ferry
Rd., PO Box 440549, Kennesaw, GA 30144. Phone: 770-924-8404, Fax:
770-924-1277, wer...@aol.com. See http://www.wera.com. for the
1997 Rules and Schedules.

Championship Cup Series (CCS), 704-684-4297. See The Ludwig
Motorsports page (http://fly.hiwaay.net/~pjludwig) for the 1997
Rules.

http://kyalami.chess.cornell.edu/uscra.html. Membership: c/o

practice days at Road Atlanta, GA. se-s...@mindspring.com

Northern US:

WERA NorthCentral Region

CCS Great Lakes Region

Central Roadracing Association (CRA), 612-3324.
http://www1.minn.net:80/~cra/

Great Lakes Road Racing Association (GLRRA). Contact Eric Nacke
(616) 458-5888.

Mid West US:

WERA MidCentral Region.

Central Motorcycle Racing Association (CMRA): local organization
that's the WERA affiliate. (800) 423-8736,
http://www.flash.net/~cmra, PO Box 156, Richmond, Texas 77406.

CCS Mid West Region.

Great Lakes Road Racing Association (GLRRA). call Eric Knacke at
(616) 458-5888. http://www.glrra.com.

CCS Great Plains Region.

Midwest Cafe Racing Association 314-771-2531

Mid West Canada:

Manitoba Roadracing Association, 204-775-9473

Calgary Motorcycle Roadracing Association, 403-280-3144

Western US:

CCS Great Plains Region

WERA MidCentral Region

Motorcycle Roadracing Association (MRA), PO Box 40187, Denver,
Colorado 80204, 303-530-5678, http://www.mra-racing.org/. Races at
Second Creek Raceway, Pueblo Motorsports Park, Moutain View
Motorsports Park, Stapleton Motorsports Park, the new Pikes Peak
International Raceway, and on the streets Steamboat Springs (I
don't know anywhere else west of Ireland where you can race on a
real street course!).

[...]

The paper Roadracing magazines (see 6.1 have listings of dates for most
of the track schools. You can also check racingschools.com.

http://users.aol.com/penguinpro/penguin1.htm

770-745-7809, eb...@mindspring.com, at various tracks in the Southeast.
certificate for Michelins. http://www.mindspring.com/~ebrs

The Southeast Sportbike Associations's School
The SSA rents tracks in the southeast for racers and street riders to
get on the track. track time is $75-$125 for the day, and the class is
an additional $25. Qualifies you for a WERA and CCS license.
Concentrates on the flagging and starting procedures and isn't a
go-fast type class.

Keith Code's California Superbike School
818-246-0717, 800-530-3350, FAX: 818-246-3307 PO Box 9294, Glendale CA,
91226. http://www.superbikeschool.com Some of Keith's classes are
taught on rental Honda RS125 GP bikes, provided by Moto-Liberty, the
Texas racing guys. You should take one of these, in order to find out
how a racing bike is supposed to handle. It's good to have a benchmark.

FasTrack Riders
310-699-2305. Willow Springs, Rosamond, CA. Classes given at Willow
Springs. Tom Sera is now the guy in charge; Lance Holst is an
instructor, and he also gives private lessons (818-666-0112).

Willow springs new racer school
805-256-1234

WERA New Racer Rider's School
770-924-8404. Summit Point, WV. Qualifies you for a WERA license.

AFM race school
510-537-8208. Given by AFM, the California racing organization. Mostly
Classroom race theory; very little track time. You must safety wire
your bike.

Fasttrax Performance Riding School
Run at Nelson Ledges Road Course in Ohio. Amazingly enough, I don't
have a phone number or snail address for them, but I do have a Web
Page. This Internet thing has gone too far.
http://members.aol.com/Fasttrax40/fasttrax.html

dp Safety School
805-772-8301. A street-bike class given at the various Northern
California tracks.

Learning Curves Roadrace School (LCR).
Closest raceschool to Road America. 7881 West Beckett Ave, Milwaukee,
WI 53218, 414-461-0116 or 414-327-0140, http://www.execpc.com/~rcrrik/

FAST Riding School
Runs at Shannonville and Mosport, Ontario, St-Eustache, Quebec, Race
City, Calgary, and Grattan, Michigan. They rent bikes (GSXR600, YZF600
or ZX6) and leathers. RR#1, Carrying Place, Ontario, KOK 1L0. Phone:
(613) 966-9464, Fax: (613) 968-2681, http://www.reach.net/~fast/

CONTENTS

5. Tracks

5.1 What Tracks are Local to Me & What are They Like?

There're a number of good Web pages on tracks

* World Tracks: http://www.bath.ac.uk/~py3dlg/tracks.html/
* British Tracks: http://www.bmrc.co.uk/index.html
* North American Tracks: http://www.wizvax.net/rwelty/tracks/. This is an
excellent site, covering all sorts of Race Tracks. It has directions to the
tracks, track maps, nearby food and lodging...everything. You want the Road
Courses.
* USA Tracks: http://www.bath.ac.uk/~py3dlg/usa.htm. Another great
collection.

http://www.nhis.com/

[...]

Steamboat, Colorado. 1.7 miles, 10 turns, track record: 1:22:48. One of
the last Street Courses in the US.

[...]

regionals. http://www.mavier.com/hallett

Gateway Intl Raceway, Fairmont City (St. Louis), Il, WERA regionals

Las Vegas Speedway Park, Las Vegas Speedway Park, Las Vegas, NV,
http://www.lvms.com. WERA regionals.

Laguna Seca, Monterey, California. Site of US Round of World Superbike
and formerly, the US Grand Prix. One of the best tracks in the US.

http://www.imat.com/rrwmt/index.html

http://www.motosport.com/

http://www.cyclenews.com/

Dialed In! - The Magazine For Roadracers Only
Havelin Communications, Inc.
PO Box 76595
Atlanta, GA 30358
$10 for 9 issues published Feb thru Oct

On-line, there are a number of places:

Ludwig Motorsports: Privateer Roadracing. Patrick Ludwig is a frequent
contributor to the race list (see below). His home page has
lots'o'stuff (CCS & WERA rules, school and race schedules, etc).

rec.motorcycles.racing, our beloved newsgroup.

Race Email list. Send "subscribe race Your-Name" to
list...@micapeak.com. This is generally a very high signal-to-noise
ratio list, and it has a number of regional and national champions on
it.

Motorcycle Online. http://www.motorcycle.com/motorcycle.html. This is a
very cool on-line Bike magazine.

Roadracing Today. (http://www.bikenet.co.uk/rr-t/rr-t.html). This is an
excellent site--it has very up-to-date results. Wanna know who won the
125GP race at the Isle of Man on Wednesday? Dis is da place.

[...]

7.2 Where Can I Get Racing Service & Supplies?

Yes, that's right, it's the dreaded "Sponsers" section that all good
web pages must have. :-> Actually, none of these are real advertisers
(although if they want to send me a check, that'll be fine). They're
places that have done a good job for racers. Some of them my buddies
and I have personal experience with, and others I've read testimonials
about from other on-line racers. If you know a good place, drop me a
line--the more people that know about good shops, the better.

o Street And Competition. Lots of parts, from tires to handlebars
o Computrack, to get your frame straight.
o Sloan's. Mail-order parts for Honda, Yamaha, & Suzuki, fast and
cheap.
o Kiernan Racing Supplies. A good shop in New Jersey...worth
checking out. 617 Route 539 Cream Ridge, NJ 08514. (800) 575-RACE,
(609) 758-8111, http://www.braincell.com/kiernan.
--
Duke Robillard, du...@io.com

Benjamin Justin Cain

Jun 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/17/97

Stuart Hall (stuar...@geocities.com) wrote:
:
: I want advice on what bike to buy. When I used to ride (1990 CBR600) a

: few years ago, the hot learning bike was the EX500. Is this still the
: case?

Start on a YSR if you can. VERY cheap racing. VERY low cost of
screwing up/crashing. HUGE bang for the buck.

--

Ben Cain : Biker Scum - Yellowshirt Brigade #514
AMA HRCA TMGP CMRA/WERA DoD # 1/137 KoK3

http://www.users.cts.com/king/d/drlubell/bscum.html

"We got road, we got time, so we're outta here..."
- Meat Puppets -

Zack Jones

Jun 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/17/97

Stuart Hall <stuar...@geocities.com> wrote:

>I want advice on what bike to buy. When I used to ride (1990 CBR600) a
>few years ago, the hot learning bike was the EX500. Is this still the
>case?

I think so. I race one and have been having a blast with it. You can
be competitive on a completely stock EX.

Take Care, Zack Jones
za...@hom.net

Tecvipserv

Jun 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/17/97

YOU MUST GET IN TOUCH WITH THE GUYS AT DIAMOND CYCLES 718-328-5555 THESE
GUYS ARE THE BEST AT WHAT THEY DO. THEY WILL SHOW YOU STEP BY STEP ON WHAT
TO DO IF YOU REALLY WANT TO GO RACING