Titan Motorcycle

Stuart M. Sanders

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99
My bike is the Titan GeckoRM (rubber mounted engine), with a 107” S&S
Engine, case, cam, heads, etc. Compufire Single Fire Ignition, 17” rear
wheel, S&S Viper Fusion wheel that takes a 200/55/ Metzler tire, front
wheel is also an S&S Viper Fusion wheel, with a Metzler 21/90 tire.
Front end is the Ceriani inverted 54 MM front end. Works performance
rear shocks, Sputh Transmission with a Bandit clutch. Danny Gray Custom
leather seat, Thunerheader exhaust system, Daytec frame. All wiring
inside of plastic tubing inside frame, cost $29,995.00.
The original bike I purchased had the S&S 96” engine, with a cracked
case, I demanded my money back, they asked me for a wish list, my first
wish was the S&S 107” engine. It took them 3 months to build it, our
ridding season is limited here in Oregon. I purchased the bike on
August 8, 1998, got her back in late November. By then it was already
raining for about 3 weeks, as I type at you it's raining. Don't get me
wrong the wait was well worth it & I applaud Titan of America for the
extra effort they put out to make my purchase of a Titan GeckoRM a very
satisfied customer.
The bike itself I love, Titan of America I like, but I ‘Hate’ the
dealership I purchased it from. Get this, if I want warranty work done
I myself can't bring the bike in, I have to have a friend ride it in or
rent a trailer and have someone other than myself trailer it to Titan
Motorcycles of Oregon. You see I have a shop of my own, well I own 25%
of it, called FreeWheelin’ Franklin’s.
Every time I brought the bike into Titan of Oregon their wrench Tim
Stocker (or as we refer to him Titen Tim), ranks my mechanics. I went
to Rose City Motorcycles to pick up a case of Golden Spectro (primary
fluid you must use or you void your warranty on the Bandit clutch).
When I showed up to pick it up the guy running the shop (it was mainly a
Jap bike shop),
asked why the Golden Spectro? I replied about the warranty on my
clutch. He then said you must know Tim Stocker he's the mechanic out at
Titan of Oregon, what do you think of him?, I replied “I think he's a
little shit”! It seems before I drove out of the parking lot the guy who
sold me the primary fluid was on the phone to ‘Titen Tim’ & telling him
I called him a little shit. You can take it from there.
That's why I am interested in what other Titan owners think of their
bikes, the stores they purchased them at & if the Titan was the bike
they expected it to be.
Long story, but you must admit a strange one.

--
Stus

--
Stus

Stuart M. Sanders

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99
Would be interested in the pro and cons of your Titan Motorcycle.
Gathering information before taking the expensive jump into a Titan
Gecko RM.

--
Stus

Motley

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99
Stuart M. Sanders wrote in message <36F00A14...@teleport.com>...

snip

>Every time I brought the bike into Titan of Oregon their wrench Tim
>Stocker (or as we refer to him Titen Tim), ranks my mechanics. I went
>to Rose City Motorcycles to pick up a case of Golden Spectro (primary
>fluid you must use or you void your warranty on the Bandit clutch).
>When I showed up to pick it up the guy running the shop (it was mainly a
>Jap bike shop),
>asked why the Golden Spectro? I replied about the warranty on my
>clutch. He then said you must know Tim Stocker he's the mechanic out at
>Titan of Oregon, what do you think of him?, I replied “I think he's a
>little shit”! It seems before I drove out of the parking lot the guy who
>sold me the primary fluid was on the phone to ‘Titen Tim’ & telling him
>I called him a little shit. You can take it from there.

I think you should talk to this "Tim" guy and tell him how you feel. Tell
him not to talk about your mechanics. In the end, you'll feel better and
he'll have more respect for you because you said it to his face. If this guy
has to work on your bike, then you want him to respect you, right? It's not
good to have a mechanic who dislikes you.

Ann Landers

Stuart M. Sanders

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
I intend to talk to Tim one more time, when the warranty parts arrive. The
store has contractual agreements with Titan of America and a mechanic with a bug
up is but in my opinion hasn't the right to tell me I can't bring my bike in for
warranty work. The way the Titan warranty works is, the fist 6 months you own
your bike it is under the Titan Warranty, after that the next 2 & 1/2 years you
work with a third party warranty company called 'DFS' or something like that.
Don't feel like digging through all my paperwork for the exact name of the third
party warranty company. All of that is in your original purchase of the Titan
motorcycle. However you don't learn about it until you get home and open your
owners manual and get about 2/3 through it. When I bought my first Titan the
Scorpion or Titan softail springer. I purchased that bike at Titan of Oregon's
opening house. Rode out on my 1995 Dyna Wide Glide, like the looks of the
Scorpion so much I purchased it, I kept my Dyna Wide Glide also. Titan's
softails in my opinion were a horrible attempt at manufacturing a motorcycle.
However they learned allot and when they came out with their "RM" Rubber Mount
Daytec Frame & built the bike to work with that frame very well. No more
leaning to the left and hearing your kickstand scraping the pavement. My new
GeckoRM putt's my Dyna Wide Glide to shame, both in looks and comfort.

I have owned over 10 Harley Davidson's in the past 25 years & I can say never
lost a dime on any of them. Usually I sold them for more than I paid for them.
However I spent so much time and money taking the crap of the Harley and putting
performance equipment on in its place, purchasing the Titan GeckoRM is actually
cheaper than bringing a Harley close to its standards. I have over $35,000 in
my Dyna Wide Glide, the same Ceriani 54 MM front end, twin PM 13" floating
rotors, twin PM four piston caliper brakes up front, with the Harley floating
rotor on the rear wheel and a PM four piston caliper. I could go on and on with
all the equipment I replaced or improved & it still does not come close to the
GeckoRM.

Ride safe & Free

Motley wrote:

--
Stus

"http://www.teleport.com/~stus/"

dkmc...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2017, 9:10:57 PM10/12/17
Can anyone answer questions on Titan motorcycle maintenance?

Ryder Rick

Oct 14, 2017, 12:09:18 PM10/14/17
On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 6:10:57 PM UTC-7, dkmc...@gmail.com wrote:
> Can anyone answer questions on Titan motorcycle maintenance?

This is rec.motorcycles.harley not rec.motorcycles.gecko

Terry Coombs

Oct 14, 2017, 12:30:35 PM10/14/17
  Aw c'mon Rick , fer crissakes the guy has a Harley Clone and he's
asking questions . As dead as this place has been the last couple of
years I'd think any traffic is welcome .

  On a lighter note , I'm finally getting mine back together . Got the
jugs/heads back on but not torqued yet . Trans is back together , won't
know if the whine is gone until I ride it . It better be , I replaced
all the bearings , seals , gaskets , and the 4th gear pair . Never did
find anything worn enough to account for the whine .

  --

  Snag

dkmc...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2017, 4:37:48 PM10/14/17
You really have nothing better to do than run your mouth on a Google form then I pitty you.

Terry Coombs

Oct 14, 2017, 5:00:45 PM10/14/17
On 10/14/2017 3:37 PM, dkmc...@gmail.com wrote:
> You really have nothing better to do than run your mouth on a Google form then I pitty you.

   OK , one thing you need to get straight , this is NOT a google forum
. You have entered the VB&G* , rec.motorcycles.harley , thru the google
interface . It ain't what it once was , thanks to facebook and other
instant media , but the forms must be observed . Go here :

http://rmhfaq.com

and read about how this newsgroup came into being .

* Virtual Bar & Grill
--
Snag

Shay G

Sep 17, 2021, 9:05:53 AM9/17/21
On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 6:10:57 PM UTC-7, dkmc...@gmail.com wrote:
> Can anyone answer questions on Titan motorcycle maintenance?

Sure can whatcha need?

Phil Boutros

Sep 17, 2021, 6:25:50 PM9/17/21
You think they've been diligently waiting by the computer for
almost 4 years now for your wisdom?

Phil...the "Damn newbies..." Asshole(tm)...
--
AH#61 Wolf#14 BS#89 bus#1 CCB#1 SENS KOTC#4
ph...@philb.ca http://philb.ca

Bob La Londe

Sep 17, 2021, 7:05:15 PM9/17/21
On 9/17/2021 3:25 PM, Phil Boutros wrote:
> Shay G <osha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 6:10:57 PM UTC-7, dkmc...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Can anyone answer questions on Titan motorcycle maintenance?
>>
>> Sure can whatcha need?
>
> You think they've been diligently waiting by the computer for
> almost 4 years now for your wisdom?
>

> Phil...the "Damn newbies..." Asshole(tm)...

Well its not a Harley so I wasn't expecting you guys to answer.

Ducking and running....

https://www.avg.com

William Bethke

Jan 4, 2022, 9:59:04 PM1/4/22
Hi ya Shay. I’m not the original inquirer but have the question: Do you know who made the forks on the Titan Phoenix ZRM? I think they are Ceriani but am not sure. If you are familiar with them then perhaps you could also let me know where I might get the seal kit. Thanks.

Bob La Londe

Jan 5, 2022, 1:11:02 PM1/5/22
From an industrial point of view is there a chance its a "standard
seal" and you could cross referrence from a number on the seal rubber if
you don't destroy it removing it. Maybe from a local seal and bearing
store. (Probably not an auto parts store, but maybe.)

Rick Begeman

Jan 7, 2022, 9:51:14 PM1/7/22
I doubt Titan imported Ceriani forks.
Most builders used aftermarket trees with 41mm tubes
During the fat tire bike in a box fad there were quite a few outfits
that made parts.
I have found a lot of the parts are the same or similar as they copied
each other a lot.
I don't know what they put on it but be careful, some of that stuff is
not built for the long run.
Some of it belongs in the recycle bin. SHOW parts do not hold up well to
daily use. A lot of compromises were made to build trees with no visible
fasteners. [junk]

--
Ironhead Rick

Rick Begeman

Jan 8, 2022, 12:04:03 PM1/8/22
You could link a picture to get some eyeballs on what you got for ID.

--
Ironhead Rick

Bob La Londe

Jan 10, 2022, 11:32:26 AM1/10/22
On 1/7/2022 7:51 PM, Rick Begeman wrote:

> SHOW parts do not hold up well to
> daily use.

Yeah, no kidding. My wife customized her Fatboy back in the late 90s.
She was pretty upset with her painter when we discovered how soft the
paint was. We called them out on it, and the reply was most of their
customers don't actually ride their bikes. They just trailer them to
shows. Those probably aren't the exact words, but they actually said that.

Another custom wheel manufacturer said when the aluminum gets crusty
just buy new wheels. She covered her wheels with paste wax periodically
and then she would wipe them down before a run or show. That did a
pretty good job of arresting the oxidation at a still pretty shiny stage.

Back in those days we rode everyday. I still remember the day she
decided to swap her handle bars out for some custom bars with through
bar wiring the night before a run. About 11 o'clock at night she came
in from the garage almost in tears saying she just wasn't going to be
able to go. I took her back out to the garage and we tackled it
together. Many hours into the AM we finished it and I insisted on
taking it on a safety run before going to bed for 2-3 hrs. We made it
to the run with her bike.

I didn't do a lot of custom on my FLHT in that time. Mostly minor
mechanical. CAM/CARB/PIPES/CLUTCH. That sort of thing.

Phil Boutros

Jan 11, 2022, 8:35:27 PM1/11/22
Bob La Londe <no...@none.com99> wrote:

>> SHOW parts do not hold up well to
>> daily use.
>
> Yeah, no kidding. My wife customized her Fatboy back in the late 90s.
> She was pretty upset with her painter when we discovered how soft the
> paint was. We called them out on it, and the reply was most of their
> customers don't actually ride their bikes. They just trailer them to
> shows. Those probably aren't the exact words, but they actually said that.

They weren't wrong.

> Another custom wheel manufacturer said when the aluminum gets crusty
> just buy new wheels. She covered her wheels with paste wax periodically
> and then she would wipe them down before a run or show. That did a
> pretty good job of arresting the oxidation at a still pretty shiny stage.

Heh...Back in 2000, the shop I worked for had a customer who had
some fancy aluminium rims. They weren't chromed, just polished. So,
every year, he paid us to take the wheels off, strip them, take them
entirely apart (they actually went together in 5 or so pieces of I
remember correctly, one for the actual hub, one for the outside rim,
and three large "spokes", all held together with a gazillion
fasteners), remove the bearings, etc, and send them off to get
polished again, then re-assembled.

Probably would have been way cheaper to just get them chrome
plated once, but what the fuck do I know?

And that's nowhere near the most...let's say eccentric customer we
had. There was the one guy who wanted bars so wide, we had two sets
of beach bars welded together. And he wanted green tires too. I have
pictures of that bike. It was...something. And there's another guy
who wanted the paint in between the super-busy airbrush on his tins to
be that BMW paint that changes colours? That stuff was ridiculously
expensive then, and, of course, it had to be the base coat on all the
tins before all the artwork.

Phil...the "Got way more stories..." Asshole(tm)...

Rick Begeman

Jan 21, 2022, 3:35:58 PM1/21/22
On 1/11/22 5:35 PM, Phil Boutros wrote:
> Bob La Londe <no...@none.com99> wrote:
>>
>>> SHOW parts do not hold up well to
>>> daily use.
>> shnip <<<
>
> And that's nowhere near the most...let's say eccentric customer we
> had. There was the one guy who wanted bars so wide, we had two sets
> of beach bars welded together. And he wanted green tires too. I have
> pictures of that bike. It was...something. And there's another guy
> who wanted the paint in between the super-busy airbrush on his tins to
> be that BMW paint that changes colours? That stuff was ridiculously
> expensive then, and, of course, it had to be the base coat on all the
> tins before all the artwork.
>

> Phil...the "Got way more stories..." Asshole(tm)...

One customer ordered a new bike had it delivered to the shop.
He went through the catalog and bought every bit of chrome and shit.
Wheels Brakes Motor Trans Tanks and all.
We took a brand new zero miles bike completely apart and reassembled
with every goody you can imagine.

With a frame, I could have built a bike from all the take off parts.
--
Ironhead Rick

Phil Boutros

Jan 26, 2022, 4:28:32 PM1/26/22
Rick Begeman <rick...@gmail.com> wrote:

> One customer ordered a new bike had it delivered to the shop.
> He went through the catalog and bought every bit of chrome and shit.
> Wheels Brakes Motor Trans Tanks and all.
> We took a brand new zero miles bike completely apart and reassembled
> with every goody you can imagine.

Hahaha...we had one make us take everything off so he could get
the frame chromed. Once again, zero miles.

Phil...the "more money than sense people kept us in business..." Asshole(tm)...