"Tiny" Independent 4 Jaw

Bob La Londe

Mar 12, 2023, 2:02:45 PM3/12/23
I think I am looking around for a "small" independent 4 jaw.

Some time back I saw Steffen Gottswinter (spelling) make a video where
he used offset drilled bushings to grind off center tool shanks. This
is handy for making things like boring bars threading tools, and inside
grooving tools. You can even make a single form single flute thread
mill this way in a pinch. Basically an inside threading tool.

I certainly could do this and its pretty easy. I just need to decide
what sizes I want to make first, and how far they should be offset. For
any particular tool I think they would strongest if the offset is only
enough to make that particular tool. I have made tool and drill
bushings before. Solid and split both. I have run my solid bushings at
upto 34,000 rpm (some of them, and I've got a split bushing for a drill
that I use at 5,000 all the time. I'm confident in my ability to make
them. The thing is for this purpose I might have to make dozens of them
eventually.

This morning I was watching Steve Summers video on setting up a 4 jaw to
use on his tool and cutter grinder to grind offset clearance diameters
like Steffen's bushings, but you just dial it in on the 4 jaw. When
your offset is ground switch it to a collet to grind in the tool's
cutting surfaces/edges.

Steve used a much larger chuck than I would have chosen. I don't think
I could fit that on my little single lip tool and cutter grinder (d-bit
grinder). I think a little 2 inch or maybe 3 inch that would open to
hold upto a piece of half inch carbide or HSS would be perfect for me.
They make scroll chucks that small. I have a couple (I use them like
centers on rotating arbors), but they are scroll chucks. I have not
seen an independent jaw that small.

Quality doesn't even have to be all that great. It's just for grinding
a clearance offset to allow for maximum remaining material for strength.
The important griding all comes after its swapped back to a collet.
--
Bob La Londe
Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a

www.avg.com

Bob La Londe

Mar 12, 2023, 2:05:19 PM3/12/23
Sorry guys. Wrong group.

Rick Begeman

Mar 12, 2023, 11:06:34 PM3/12/23
On 3/12/23 11:02 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> I think I am looking around for a "small" independent 4 jaw.

Plenty of them sold on amazon for Mini lathes.

--
Ironhead Rick

Snag

Mar 12, 2023, 11:36:45 PM3/12/23
On 3/12/2023 10:06 PM, Rick Begeman wrote:
> On 3/12/23 11:02 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> I think I am looking around for a "small" independent 4 jaw.
>>

> Plenty of them sold on amazon for Mini lathes.

Lots of 'em on ebay too , most under a c-note .
--
Snag
“Free speech is my right to say what you don’t