Is there a Mechanic in the House ?

Snag

Aug 28, 2021, 8:41:56 AM8/28/21
I'm looking for a new comp sprocket for the 1990 Ultra Classic - just
the sprocket , p/n 40269-85 and all I can find is the -85A ... some
sources say it will fit , others say it won't , and since the -85A is
the only one I can find new I am wondering which is right .
Y'all work on this bottle of Ezra Brooks whilst you think on it .
--
Snag
Race only matters to racists ...

Phil Boutros

Aug 28, 2021, 7:02:10 PM8/28/21
Snag <Snag...@msn.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a new comp sprocket for the 1990 Ultra Classic - just
> the sprocket , p/n 40269-85 and all I can find is the -85A ... some
> sources say it will fit , others say it won't , and since the -85A is
> the only one I can find new I am wondering which is right .

That's how Harley labels revisions. It just means it's the newer
version of the same part. They are *supposed* to always be backwards
compatible.

You'll notice the gasket for the chain inspection cover is a
34906-85D. That just means it's the 5th version of it (4th upgrade
from the original.)

Except for the things like regular hardware, common O-rings, etc,
the number scheme is 5-digit part number, dash, year of introduction,
letter for revision. So you know that a 40269-94 (if there is suck a
thing) probably doesn't fit because it was introduced for 94-up, but a
-85A should.

Phil...the "You can trust me, I used to be a professional!" Asshole(tm)...
--
AH#61 Wolf#14 BS#89 bus#1 CCB#1 SENS KOTC#4
ph...@philb.ca http://philb.ca

Snag

Aug 28, 2021, 8:55:33 PM8/28/21
Thanks Phil , that's what I thought . I wonder why some vendors say
this part will not fit ... anyway , I screwed up a while back , replaced
the motor sprocket and chain but not the clutch basket . Oh well , those
parts were one was free the other cheap . I'm going to be replacing the
main drive gear and countershaft 5th , it's making a little noise in 1st
thru 4th . I checked the "new" primary chain and it's pretty worn so I'm
going to replace all that too . BTW , you wouldn't happen to know if
anyone makes a 37t replacement sprocket ? Nothing wrong with the basket
but a worn sprocket , and I got the tools to swap that .

Phil Boutros

Aug 30, 2021, 2:45:21 PM8/30/21
Snag <Snag...@msn.com> wrote:

> Thanks Phil , that's what I thought . I wonder why some vendors say
> this part will not fit ... anyway , I screwed up a while back , replaced
> the motor sprocket and chain but not the clutch basket .

That'll learn ya!

> I'm going to be replacing the main drive gear and countershaft 5th ,
> it's making a little noise in 1st thru 4th .

On what year bike? If pre-94, you'll most likely get the upgraded
94-up HCR (High Contact Ratio) gears. If that's the case, you may
want to consider doing all of them, if you can, while you're there.

That's what I put in my tranny (Hey-O!) when I had to redo the
whole thing in 2002.

> I checked the "new" primary chain and it's pretty worn so I'm
> going to replace all that too . BTW , you wouldn't happen to know if
> anyone makes a 37t replacement sprocket ? Nothing wrong with the basket
> but a worn sprocket , and I got the tools to swap that .

Once again, on what year? Wasn't that standard on several years?
You're in the US, so all the large catalogs ship to you for peanuts.
J&P, Dennis Kirk, etc...

https://www.jpcycles.com/harley-clutch-baskets

For example.

Phil

Snag

Aug 30, 2021, 2:59:36 PM8/30/21
It's a 1990 FLHTCU and I can find all kinds of complete assembly
clutch baskets , but I have not found just the sprocket ring that I can
put on my basket .
'Bout time for another round Shirley !

Phil Boutros

Aug 31, 2021, 8:52:21 PM8/31/21
Snag <Snag...@msn.com> wrote:

> It's a 1990 FLHTCU and I can find all kinds of complete assembly
> clutch baskets , but I have not found just the sprocket ring that I can
> put on my basket .

Well, they're not meant to be sold separately! They are all
usually part of the same piece. I know my clutch has a bolt-on
outside sprocket, for the starter, and I think that was Rivera who did
that a while back so if your starter kicked back and ate up your
pinion gear and ring gear, you could swap them without needing a whole
clutch basket.

I mean, it was always weird to me. You could easily grind the
rivets and weld them back on (depending on material), but no one
sells the sprockets separately...