Checking air in tires

Frank Xzarhadjizamtheopolous

Dec 1, 2022, 8:41:31 AM12/1/22
Drinks on me. I have an amazing story to tell!

I check tire pressure on the bike before a ride almost every time. I'm
kinda anal about that, I guess. As far as I can recall, I've always
needed to jockey the bike back and forth a number of times because one
or both valve stems were up in the fender or somewhere out of reach. I
just assumed that was simply what you had to do.

A few days ago I went to the garage to check the tire pressure on the
Electra Glide before a short ride into town and back. (50 degrees and
sunny!) I got out the air hose and gauge, got down on my hands and knees
to begin the inevitable hunt for the stems, but Lo and Behold, both
stems were at the very bottom of the wheels! I was stunned! I heard what
must have been angels singing. Simultaneously a beautiful beam of light
from the heavens shown down upon me and my bike. I rushed to the nearby
Catholic church and told my amazing story to the priest. He was
impressed, but said that unfortunately it takes *two* miracles for
sainthood.

OK...I embellished the story a tiny bit, but it's true that this was the
first time both valve stems were accessible without pushing the bike
from one end of the garage to the other a half dozen times!

Andy aka Big Stinkie aka Frank the Real Biker

john

Dec 1, 2022, 11:59:33 AM12/1/22
Cheers,
with that kind of luck, quick buy a bike raffle ticket
from wheels through time museum. hate checking tires, rolling
the bike back & forth drill... yet i still do it..
john

Snag

Dec 1, 2022, 12:09:13 PM12/1/22
I just push the lift under it an pick it up just enough to spin the
wheels ...
Ezra Brooks 99 on my tab , shots or mixed until they cancel the card .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Bob La Londe

Dec 1, 2022, 5:57:15 PM12/1/22
I always figured if they went thunk going over a curb they had enough
air. If they make weird flappity noises the air escaped, and if they go
clank going over a curb I lost the tire last week, but I still have to
get to work.

www.avg.com

Frank Xzarhadjizamtheopolous

Dec 2, 2022, 7:36:04 AM12/2/22
That sounds like an easier way to do it. <grin>

sticks

Dec 2, 2022, 5:21:55 PM12/2/22
I was having issues with getting the 15K miles per set of rubbers I
wanted last few sets, so I really started paying attention to the crappy
job of checking the pressures. I have to admit that they almost never
need air. The service guys must do a good job cleaning the beads.
They're never down. I ride an Ultra, so the rear is always a lay down
and wheel only in one spot job. Also never found what I consider a good
chuck to fit on the valves with the location they're in. I wish I could
find an easy screw on that didn't seem to leak a pound or so once you
unscrewed it, kinda like the HD shock absorber air filling tool. That
just works good.
Anyway, only getting about 7K to maybe 10K on a set of tires before they
whined so bad it worried me, I finally figured out I was probably
between 1-2 pounds lower on what I thought I had in the tires, than what
was actually in there. Now, I just fill them to 2 lbs. over what I
want. Alas, I got 15K out of the last set. Now I admit, they were damn
noisy at the end and that stuck feeling was going away, and it did worry
me, especially since the wife insists on going with all the time, but I
did get 15K.
The good thing about getting that many miles on too, is when you get a
new set you think you got a sportbike under you. Last couple months
this year were on new rubber and what a difference in making the ride
enjoyable. So much, I don't know if I'll worry about it much anymore.
If they start whining and don't feel so secure, change 'em out. Screw it.

Bob La Londe

Dec 2, 2022, 5:53:35 PM12/2/22
I've wondered how many (if any) HD riders go to the dark side. I've
seen a lot of tires worn out in the middle and still have vent tits on
the sides with regular mc tires. Maybe those guys would benefit from
going to the dark side if only for the rear.

sticks

Dec 2, 2022, 9:14:07 PM12/2/22
I've known several Goldwing riders who swear by it, but don't personally
know of any HD riders. Some of the benefits do sound appealing: 40-50K
miles, half the price, a shitload more grip, handle more weight, etc.

Me, I just don't have the balls to try it. I think the Wing riders have
a seating position more suitable for this, even though Wings are
probably closer to sportbike like speed and agility. You just sit more
upright, and not what I call riding the rear tire.

To me, riding the rear tire is one of the reasons I ride. I probably
would have to get used to trike riding to get the same enjoyment out of
riding as I do on 2 wheels. Nothing is more fun than having good
rubber, sitting on the ass end, and hammering it around a nice long
sweeper. I'm 6' 6", with a tallboy seat that is back 2" to start with,
so I fear I would always worry about not having enough contact on the
corners.

They say it isn't so, and there are plenty of videos out showing guys
riding them. Just not something I am willing to do yet. Here's a good
video.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as_C38hiYiI>

Snag

Dec 2, 2022, 11:38:53 PM12/2/22
On 12/2/2022 4:53 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I toyed with the idea a few years back for the Ultra and decided
against it . Partly because I couldn't find a suitable tire - not many
130 or 140 - 16's out there - and partly because there ain't a straight
piece of road in the whole county longer than 4 miles . I spend a lot of
time leaned over ...
The SportyTrike is a different matter . I'm looking at replacing the
front tire , it's a 90/90-19 and I'm wondering if - since the back tires
are radial - I should put a radial up there .
--
Snag
“Free speech is my right to say what you don’t

Frank Xzarhadjizamtheopolous

Dec 3, 2022, 8:27:30 AM12/3/22
<snip>

> I was having issues with getting the 15K miles per set of rubbers I
> wanted last few sets, so I really started paying attention to the crappy
> job of checking the pressures.  I have to admit that they almost never
> need air.  The service guys must do a good job cleaning the beads.
> They're never down.  I ride an Ultra, so the rear is always a lay down
> and wheel only in one spot job.  Also never found what I consider a good
> chuck to fit on the valves with the location they're in.  I wish I could
> find an easy screw on that didn't seem to leak a pound or so once you
> unscrewed it, kinda like the HD shock absorber air filling tool.  That
> just works good.
> Anyway, only getting about 7K to maybe 10K on a set of tires before they
> whined so bad it worried me, I finally figured out I was probably
> between 1-2 pounds lower on what I thought I had in the tires, than what
> was actually in there.  Now, I just fill them to 2 lbs. over what I
> want.  Alas, I got 15K out of the last set.  Now I admit, they were damn
> noisy at the end and that stuck feeling was going away, and it did worry
> me, especially since the wife insists on going with all the time, but I
> did get 15K.

Good to know. I'll find some way to check the accuracy of my gauge, and
maybe add a pound or two anyway. I got 12K out of my last pair. (2015
Ultra) Just replaced them last month. The front could have gone another
few K, but I figured that while the dealer was putting on the back
tire...why not do the front tire at the same time. It's only money! <grin>

> The good thing about getting that many miles on too, is when you get a
> new set you think you got a sportbike under you.  Last couple months
> this year were on new rubber and what a difference in making the ride
> enjoyable.  So much, I don't know if I'll worry about it much anymore.
> If they start whining and don't feel so secure, change 'em out.  Screw it.

It has been said that a vehicle is only as safe as its tires. I'd rather
err on the side of safety and/or the side of not needing to sit on the
side of the road waiting for the tow vehicle.

Bob La Londe

Dec 4, 2022, 3:50:15 PM12/4/22
Having owned both Goldwings (older ones) and Harleys I have to agree. A
wing is definitely more sporty than a full size bagger. Well, the older
ones anyway. I think the newer ones are just as heavy as a new bagger
although they might have a little more cornering clearance. Honestly
except for speed they were much more sporty even than my VRSCA. At top
speed it was close. My VROD would accelerate faster, but my 84 GL1200
and my VROD both topped out around 120. If the VRSCA was any faster I
don't know. I ran out of road. BOTH of my 75 GL1000s were faster. One
easily topped 130 and the other topped a little under 130. Both were
tired and had lots of miles when I bought them. The 75s were even
sportier riding than the 84. I didn't push them though. I had hard
tires for longer mileage, not soft tires for slicing the twisties. That
being said there is nothing wrong with some of the Harley baggers with a
mediocre rider like myself who knows his limits. I've pissed off newbie
sport bike riders on Yarnell hill by dogging them in the turns. You
just have to look ahead for dirt on the road. After two or three turns
they would red line on the next straight and leave me behind though. LOL

Never went to the dark side myself. Considered it when a bike was my
only ride and I was short on cash, but I was usually so short on cash
then I had to mount and dismount the tire myself. Buying ANY tire was
not in the budget. Patching, plugging, and swapping was the only option
when I had to get to work on a Friday morning and I didn't get paid
until Friday night.

Snag

Dec 5, 2022, 11:58:36 AM12/5/22
Old Crow and I used to make it a sport to dog those newbie sportybike
riders . Of course , both of our bikes had rear suspension mods - added
heim links ,snubber sleeves in the mounts and my special homemade
swingarm bushings in place of the cleve blocks . And up here there
aren't any straight stretches long enough to allow them to escape .

Phil Boutros

Dec 8, 2022, 5:36:18 PM12/8/22
Bob La Londe <no...@none.com99> wrote:

> I've wondered how many (if any) HD riders go to the dark side. I've
> seen a lot of tires worn out in the middle and still have vent tits on
> the sides with regular mc tires. Maybe those guys would benefit from
> going to the dark side if only for the rear.

Not worth the risk to me. But I usually wear the titties off my
tires (if I could ever get riding again, that is). If I was on a
heavier and not as nimble bike as the FXR? Probably still not worth
the risk to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEZeR9E3JyY

Phil...the full leathers wearing Asshole(tm)...
--
AH#61 Wolf#14 BS#89 bus#1 CCB#1 SENS KOTC#4
ph...@philb.ca http://philb.ca

Rick Begeman

Feb 20, 2023, 11:16:58 PM2/20/23
On 12/8/22 2:36 PM, Phil Boutros wrote:
> Bob La Londe <no...@none.com99> wrote:
>>
>> I've wondered how many (if any) HD riders go to the dark side. I've
>> seen a lot of tires worn out in the middle and still have vent tits on
>> the sides with regular mc tires. Maybe those guys would benefit from
>> going to the dark side if only for the rear.
>
> Not worth the risk to me. But I usually wear the titties off my
> tires (if I could ever get riding again, that is). If I was on a
> heavier and not as nimble bike as the FXR? Probably still not worth
> the risk to me.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEZeR9E3JyY
>
> Phil...the full leathers wearing Asshole(tm)...

Fuck the risk, that's a looong dice roll.

The problem is the shape of the tire, a cycle tire has a rounded shape
for a reason.

The flat shape of a car tire causes the center of gravity to shift the
wrong direction to allow a cycle to turn.

Car tires on a trike is cool because it doesn't lean and has big side loads.

I don't want to arm wrestle my bike around every corner.....

If you are not running 40+ in the rear you are wasting tires.
43 or 44 ona bagger loaded up.

--
Ironhead Rick