This is still here?

90 views
Skip to first unread message

vstab...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 23, 2018, 11:21:16 PM10/23/18
to
This used to be like the only dirt bike discussion board in like 1996-7.

The Real Bev

unread,
Oct 24, 2018, 12:20:40 AM10/24/18
to
On 10/23/2018 08:21 PM, vstab...@gmail.com wrote:
> This used to be like the only dirt bike discussion board in like 1996-7.

Everybody moved to facebook. Some of us keep checking back just for old
times' sake. Come on along, it don't hurt much!
--
Cheers, Bev
"My dad used to say: Laugh, and the whole world laughs with you.
Cry, and I'll give you something to cry about you little
bastard." -Jeff Goldblum

Futility Man

unread,
Oct 24, 2018, 8:48:16 AM10/24/18
to
On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 21:20:37 -0700, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 10/23/2018 08:21 PM, vstab...@gmail.com wrote:
>> This used to be like the only dirt bike discussion board in like 1996-7.
>
>Everybody moved to facebook. Some of us keep checking back just for old
>times' sake. Come on along, it don't hurt much!

Everybody moved to Facebook or forums. Usenet is pretty much dead. Has less
moto content than Elizabeth Warren has Indian blood.
--
Futility Man

Volker Bartheld

unread,
Oct 24, 2018, 12:56:50 PM10/24/18
to
Yeah. Stone cold dead. Only zombies talking. Move on to Facebook. Really.
This has a lot of advantages: Zero privacy, 100% proprietary, can't do
offline, threading is a PITA, sucks bandwidth like a FCR MX40 air, forums
flooded with morons that Usenet's "complexity" (=to configure server
access vs. opening a web page) keept out, you get Spectre/Meltdown
exploits as a bonus ontop, etc. Killer arguments no one can deny!

Volker

The Real Bev

unread,
Oct 24, 2018, 1:26:21 PM10/24/18
to
It's possible to make it fairly close to usenet if you limit your
'friends', see posts only from friends or friends of friends, sort
friends into groups as well as the entire group and use an ad-blocker.
'Social Fixer' FF/Chrome extension might make things better, depending...

I have 104 friends, mostly people I've 'met' through RMD and the
skiing newsgroup, some of whom I've met in RL. Plus actual RL friends
and relatives, of course.

Go to literal RMD.

--
Cheers, Bev
It's not the speed that kills, it's the stopping.

sturd....@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 24, 2018, 3:17:37 PM10/24/18
to
On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 11:21:16 PM UTC-4, vstab...@gmail.com wrote:
> This used to be like the only dirt bike discussion board in like 1996-7.

You're pissing in the wind dude. We all got lobotomies and are enjoying it. Proof - look who got elected president!


Go fast. Take chances.
Mike S.

Wind

unread,
Oct 24, 2018, 10:00:40 PM10/24/18
to
On 10/23/2018 08:21 PM, vstab...@gmail.com wrote:
> This used to be like the only dirt bike discussion board in like 1996-7.
>

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
all good children go to heaven

john

unread,
Oct 30, 2018, 1:26:18 PM10/30/18
to
hi bev, wonder what happened to fast freddie?
john

The Real Bev

unread,
Oct 30, 2018, 5:57:17 PM10/30/18
to
Brad....? He's there...


--
Cheers, Bev
"Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the
bodies of the people who pissed me off."

The Real Bev

unread,
Nov 19, 2018, 2:01:48 AM11/19/18
to
Facebook is sorely lacking. Would anyone else like to re-establish this
group? I "know" people who could be persuaded if there were a real
possibility. All it takes is a little typing...

--
Cheers, Bev
The people who don't know what they're doing and the people who
don't realize it are generally the same people." -- DAbel

Volker Bartheld

unread,
Nov 19, 2018, 4:18:53 AM11/19/18
to
On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 23:01:47 -0800, The Real Bev wrote:
> Facebook is sorely lacking. Would anyone else like to re-establish this
> group? I "know" people who could be persuaded if there were a real
> possibility. All it takes is a little typing...

I'm not sure if I understand. Just type here what you'd otherwise like to
type in Facebook. Problem solved.

Volker,
mounted Supermotard Wheels on his 1998 KTM 620 a week ago. That was
sufficient to force arrival of snow and other Winter features.

john

unread,
Nov 19, 2018, 11:17:50 AM11/19/18
to
On 11/19/2018 2:01 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
> Facebook is sorely lacking.  Would anyone else like to re-establish this
> group?  I "know" people who could be persuaded if there were a real
> possibility.  All it takes is a little typing...
>
i check here about once a month,
i will not facebook so yes i be talked into
pinging this server more often.
i prefer to go visit folks or call/email
them directly..

relevant content:
i used the gasgas to reach my top shelf in
the garage yesterday. the foot peg was
just high enough for me to stand on and
reach the wool blanket container for the
tree stand.
john
known to snore in trees while deer pass by safely

The Real Bev

unread,
Nov 19, 2018, 11:43:26 AM11/19/18
to
On 11/19/2018 01:18 AM, Volker Bartheld wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 23:01:47 -0800, The Real Bev wrote:
>> Facebook is sorely lacking. Would anyone else like to re-establish this
>> group? I "know" people who could be persuaded if there were a real
>> possibility. All it takes is a little typing...
>
> I'm not sure if I understand. Just type here what you'd otherwise like to
> type in Facebook. Problem solved.

Some things are just so simple...

> Volker,
> mounted Supermotard Wheels on his 1998 KTM 620 a week ago. That was
> sufficient to force arrival of snow and other Winter features.

Did NOTHING for SoCal, try harder. Local ski area opened Friday with
one mile-long strip of man-made snow. High of 59F, which means slush
at 11am. Not worth the 172-mile round trip.

The Real Bev

unread,
Nov 19, 2018, 11:48:38 AM11/19/18
to
On 11/19/2018 08:17 AM, john wrote:
> On 11/19/2018 2:01 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> Facebook is sorely lacking. Would anyone else like to re-establish
>> this group? I "know" people who could be persuaded if there were a
>> real possibility. All it takes is a little typing...
>>
> i check here about once a month, i will not facebook so yes i be
> talked into pinging this server more often. i prefer to go visit
> folks or call/email them directly..

There's a place for general blather that doesn't justify personal
communication. This used to be it :-(

> relevant content: i used the gasgas to reach my top shelf in the
> garage yesterday. the foot peg was just high enough for me to stand
> on and reach the wool blanket container for the tree stand. john
> known to snore in trees while deer pass by safely

Somebody posted a picture of a new one which looked about as functional
as it's possible to be. Might have had an electric motor because it
sure looked different.

News from FB: John Aiton died. The Big Guy is getting rid of the boat.
We all hate California. Probably other major news, but that's all
that pops up.

jdhall

unread,
Nov 21, 2018, 4:14:25 PM11/21/18
to
Just checking in as well. Best Thanksgiving to all.

john

unread,
Nov 21, 2018, 7:53:07 PM11/21/18
to
On 11/19/18 11:48 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 11/19/2018 08:17 AM, john wrote:
>> On 11/19/2018 2:01 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> Facebook is sorely lacking.  Would anyone else like to re-establish
>>> this group?  I "know" people who could be persuaded if there were a
>>> real possibility.  All it takes is a little typing...
>>>
>> i check here about once a month, i will not facebook so yes i be
>> talked into pinging this server more often. i prefer to go visit
>> folks or call/email them directly..
>
> There's a place for general blather that doesn't justify personal
> communication.  This used to be it :-(
>
>> relevant content: i used the gasgas to reach my top shelf in the
>> garage yesterday. the foot peg was just high enough for me to stand
>> on and reach the wool blanket container for the tree stand. john
>> known to snore in trees while deer pass by safely
>
> Somebody posted a picture of a new one which looked about as functional
> as it's possible to be.  Might have had an electric motor because it
> sure looked different.
>
> News from FB:  John Aiton died.  The Big Guy is getting rid of the boat.
>  We all hate California.  Probably other major news, but that's all
> that pops up.
>
>
sucks to hear about John
big guy's boat is nice but, it is a-boat time he
gets rid of the time vacuum and gets back to other
fun stuff
"california uber alles" DeadKenedy's.
john
preparing for a turkey coma



<here's a picture for the slob enabled facebooked types>

__o
_ \ \<_
(_)/(_)

The Real Bev

unread,
Nov 21, 2018, 11:17:58 PM11/21/18
to
On 11/21/2018 04:53 PM, john wrote:
> On 11/19/18 11:48 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 11/19/2018 08:17 AM, john wrote:
>>> On 11/19/2018 2:01 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>>> Facebook is sorely lacking. Would anyone else like to re-establish
>>>> this group? I "know" people who could be persuaded if there were a
>>>> real possibility. All it takes is a little typing...
>>>>
>>> i check here about once a month, i will not facebook so yes i be
>>> talked into pinging this server more often. i prefer to go visit
>>> folks or call/email them directly..
>>
>> There's a place for general blather that doesn't justify personal
>> communication. This used to be it :-(
>>
>>> relevant content: i used the gasgas to reach my top shelf in the
>>> garage yesterday. the foot peg was just high enough for me to stand
>>> on and reach the wool blanket container for the tree stand. john
>>> known to snore in trees while deer pass by safely
>>
>> Somebody posted a picture of a new one which looked about as functional
>> as it's possible to be. Might have had an electric motor because it
>> sure looked different.

Definitely electric. Probably the wave of the future, but I just don't
like the concept. Same with cars.

>> News from FB: John Aiton died. The Big Guy is getting rid of the boat.
>> We all hate California. Probably other major news, but that's all
>> that pops up.
>>
> sucks to hear about John

Heart attack while on a ride with friends. I guess there are worse ways
to go.

> big guy's boat is nice but, it is a-boat time he
> gets rid of the time vacuum and gets back to other
> fun stuff

That's what he thinks. We were glad to get rid of my son's little boat
with the 40HP outboard. It looked a lot like a 1955 Chevy, so we
painted it red and white. Once around Castaic Lake. "Wanta do it
again?" "Nope."

> "california uber alles" DeadKenedy's.

Unter alles! If all our friends and half our relatives didn't live here
we'd find a better place to live. If we won the lottery we'd buy houses
for ALL of them in a new place. Maybe buy a small town somewhere nice...

> john
> preparing for a turkey coma

Turkey is over-rated, but it's hard to beat good stuffing.

> <here's a picture for the slob enabled facebooked types>
>
> __o
> _ \ \<_
> (_)/(_)

Two flats. Lazy bastards.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Some people say that when it rains it means that God is crying,
probably because of something that you did." --Jack Handey

john

unread,
Nov 22, 2018, 9:20:29 PM11/22/18
to
On 11/21/18 11:17 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 11/21/2018 04:53 PM, john wrote:
>> On 11/19/18 11:48 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> sure looked different.
>
> Definitely electric.  Probably the wave of the future, but I just don't
> like the concept.  Same with cars.
>

tesla is a hacker/serial killer dream car just
think of all the remote kill options available
with that data connected monstrosity

>
> That's what he thinks.  We were glad to get rid of my son's little boat
> with the 40HP outboard.  It looked a lot like a 1955 Chevy, so we
> painted it red and white.  Once around Castaic Lake.  "Wanta do it
> again?"  "Nope."
>
>> "california uber alles" DeadKenedy's.
>
> Unter alles!  If all our friends and half our relatives didn't live here
> we'd find a better place to live.  If we won the lottery we'd buy houses
> for ALL of them in a new place.  Maybe buy a small town somewhere nice...

nice plan, I'll fly in if you put in a short grass landing strip.

>> john
>>     preparing for a turkey coma
>
> Turkey is over-rated, but it's hard to beat good stuffing.

three sticks of butter for the stuffing this year...amazing!


>> <here's a picture for the slob enabled facebooked types>
>>
>>    __o
>> _ \ \<_
>> (_)/(_)
>
> Two flats.  Lazy bastards.
>

john
folks in midwest relax & sip a cool drink
all while the coasts riot flood & burn

dave.s...@gmail.com

unread,
Nov 26, 2018, 8:14:49 PM11/26/18
to

The Real Bev

unread,
Nov 26, 2018, 11:07:56 PM11/26/18
to
SNOW! I tried to ride in snow a couple of times. Maybe knobbies would
work, but not trials tires.


--
Cheers, Bev
A spokesperson for 60s band 'the animals' has today made a
public apology saying they were mistaken and there isn't a
house in New Orleans after all.


XR650L_Dave

unread,
Nov 27, 2018, 9:10:40 AM11/27/18
to
With 350lbs of bike and I'm sure with gear 220lbs of rider there's the pressure factor too.

The Real Bev

unread,
Nov 27, 2018, 1:10:45 PM11/27/18
to
On 11/27/2018 06:10 AM, XR650L_Dave wrote:
> On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 11:07:56 PM UTC-5, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 11/26/2018 05:14 PM, dave.s...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > the quiet watch...
>> > Dave
>> > DDave
>> > XR650L_Dave
>> > XRL_Dave
>> >
>> > https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4896/45294504134_dcb707f6a7_b.jpg&key=e6e91d9512d3d2ee4517a71e705871368c86d9c7f9ebe1ed74829fd294b16263
>>
>> SNOW! I tried to ride in snow a couple of times. Maybe knobbies would
>> work, but not trials tires.
>
> With 350lbs of bike and I'm sure with gear 220lbs of rider there's the pressure factor too.

Maybe 350 lbs total, but I think skill played a big part :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
"They redundantly repeated themselves over and over again
incessantly without end ad infinitum" -- ibid.

XR650L_Dave

unread,
Nov 27, 2018, 1:30:35 PM11/27/18
to
I don't know- anyone ever see a trials guy in the snow?

The Real Bev

unread,
Nov 27, 2018, 2:27:56 PM11/27/18
to
On 11/27/2018 10:30 AM, XR650L_Dave wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 1:10:45 PM UTC-5, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 11/27/2018 06:10 AM, XR650L_Dave wrote:
>>
>> > With 350lbs of bike and I'm sure with gear 220lbs of rider there's the pressure factor too.
>>
>> Maybe 350 lbs total, but I think skill played a big part :-(
>
> I don't know- anyone ever see a trials guy in the snow?

I've never seen trials done in snow. Do they do that ever?


--
Cheers, Bev
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime
is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin
is stupidity." -- H.S. Thompson

XR650L_Dave

unread,
Nov 27, 2018, 2:30:33 PM11/27/18
to
I just meant even a guy just dorking around on one in the snow. Seems like the tire would clog quickly.

nos...@my.net

unread,
Nov 27, 2018, 2:42:14 PM11/27/18
to
On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 17:14:48 -0800 (PST), dave.s...@gmail.com
wrote:
I've ridden the Sierras with snow on the ground... Point the bike in
one direction, hit the snow bank, and drift in some way not supported
by physics! Scares the heck outta me! :-)

At least ya won't be overheating! :-)

XR650L_Dave

unread,
Nov 27, 2018, 2:55:16 PM11/27/18
to
As long as snow doesn't cover the whole damn cylinder. It was a lot of snow and some crusty stuff, good bit more than 1/2 throttle in second gear just to keep moving. Might be one of those ironic overheating situations.
I'm hoping we get snow, it gets warm, refreezes, and it turns all the way through to those little pebbles of ice the size of bean bag chair styrofoam balls, that stuff is really fun to ride on!

Futility Man

unread,
Nov 27, 2018, 10:17:07 PM11/27/18
to
On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 20:07:53 -0800, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>SNOW! I tried to ride in snow a couple of times. Maybe knobbies would
>work, but not trials tires.

I did it, and documented it. Never again.

https://www.facebook.com/jack.hunt.319/media_set?set=a.3931155560114&type=3

--
Futility Man

da...@sawtoothwebs.com

unread,
Nov 27, 2018, 11:55:14 PM11/27/18
to

The Real Bev

unread,
Nov 28, 2018, 2:03:44 AM11/28/18
to
Better than rocks! Well, maybe not...


--
Cheers, Bev
"To turn is to admit defeat." -- Hugh Grierson

john

unread,
Nov 28, 2018, 9:21:59 AM11/28/18
to
impressive dave, i used to ride a honda mt250 in the snow.
2nd gear 1/2 throttle most of the time. was fun in a wierd
sort of way. lately i've been enjoying snowmobiles east
of buffalo ny. it looks like this years crew have upgraded the
post ride beverage selections.. so i have that going for me.
i miss my xr600 for the rock steady performance but jim's
old gasgas ec250 is a bit more fun in the single track.
john



XR650L_Dave

unread,
Nov 28, 2018, 9:59:33 AM11/28/18
to
Hey, spikes are cheating!

I had my 650 out on a frozen lake, surprising amount of traction if you limited it to idle and just-off-idle.

XR650L_Dave

unread,
Nov 28, 2018, 10:03:27 AM11/28/18
to
I would probably have a nice light dirt-only bike (or a converted dirt bike) if the riding around here warranted it.

East of buffalo, yeah, I can see that area getting some snow!

Futility Man

unread,
Nov 28, 2018, 11:11:11 AM11/28/18
to
On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 23:03:42 -0800, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Better than rocks! Well, maybe not...

I got so cold, I permanently damaged my hands that day. Going up the mountain
was easy. The rear wheel would step to one side just a little and it would
climb crab-style. Coming back down the rear end would step out and just keep
coming around. I crashed so many times, I stopped counting.

Deeper snow was easier than packed. There had been an ice storm before the snow
so underneath was about an inch of glare ice. Thin snow would put me on the
ice, packed snow was just like ice. Fresh snow was easy if it was deep enough
to keep me off the ice.
--
Futility Man

The Real Bev

unread,
Nov 28, 2018, 12:48:09 PM11/28/18
to
True artistry seems to consist of making equipment do something really
well that it wasn't designed to do. Think about that for a while.
Violin-playing, for example. Capable of long sweeping sustained notes,
so the best players cram as many short notes into a time-chunk as
possible. I could go on.

Given the nature of your weather, you might consider taking up skiing.
Not that stupid x-country stuff (exercise in cold weather), but REAL skiing.

We note that I, a SoCalian lifer, ski.

Futility Man

unread,
Nov 28, 2018, 1:44:16 PM11/28/18
to
On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 09:48:06 -0800, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Given the nature of your weather, you might consider taking up skiing.

I have taken up side by side UTV riding on mountain trails and roads. I still
have a liter bike and that dirt bike, but I rarely ride them. My current ride
is a Kawasaki Teryx. It has a full cab with doors, windows, and a heater.
--
Futility Man

john

unread,
Nov 28, 2018, 3:16:53 PM11/28/18
to
it's about 3 hour drive to snowmobile heaven.. not a bad
trade off.



XR650L_Dave

unread,
Nov 28, 2018, 3:58:57 PM11/28/18
to
Nowadays I'm less than 3 from buffalo itself.
How far east of buffaloed buffaloes?

The Real Bev

unread,
Dec 15, 2019, 3:07:11 PM12/15/19
to
On 11/19/2018 01:18 AM, Volker Bartheld wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 23:01:47 -0800, The Real Bev wrote:
>> Facebook is sorely lacking. Would anyone else like to re-establish this
>> group? I "know" people who could be persuaded if there were a real
>> possibility. All it takes is a little typing...
>
> I'm not sure if I understand. Just type here what you'd otherwise like to
> type in Facebook. Problem solved.
>
> Volker,
> mounted Supermotard Wheels on his 1998 KTM 620 a week ago. That was
> sufficient to force arrival of snow and other Winter features.

Ah-HAH! I thought you were in one of the Mozilla groups, but I was
wrong. What's new?

There IS a RMD facebook thing, and that's where people are now...

--
Cheers, Bev
"Go back to sleep, citizen. Your government has
everything under control." -Bill Hicks

PymerOne

unread,
Apr 27, 2020, 1:21:29 PM4/27/20
to
On Wednesday, October 24, 2018 at 5:21:16 AM UTC+2, vstab...@gmail.com wrote:
> This used to be like the only dirt bike discussion board in like 1996-7.

So what??? i used to be alife and kicking in 1996!
Hiya all :) keep the shiny side up, 2smokes do the same as 4strokes in half the time ;)

Grtz, P1.

XR650L_Dave

unread,
Apr 27, 2020, 1:46:49 PM4/27/20
to
I changed the oil on the XRL Saturday. Rode the yard terrain a bit, some little steep hills next to the road, and a few small jumps. I have become a pathetic wad of putty.

sturd....@gmail.com

unread,
Apr 28, 2020, 10:17:55 AM4/28/20
to
XR650L_Dave brags:

> I changed the oil on the XRL Saturday.

Oh yea? Well I changed tires on the WR250. And replaced the brake snake I'd broken.

So there.


Go fast. Take chances.
Mike S.

john

unread,
Apr 28, 2020, 10:26:06 AM4/28/20
to
added some fresh gas to the GasGas and rode it.
almost popped a wheelie, but dug a mud trench instead
john
--
Why are frogs so happy? They eat whatever bugs them.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages