dirtbike cup holder?

john

Oct 20, 2021, 10:31:55 AM10/20/21
given the impending fall cool days.... i was wondering
if anyone has a good setup for taking along a 2-4 cup
thermos of hot chocolate or coffee. my initial thought
was strapping a Stanley thermos to the handle bars for
easy access while pausing to take in the fall foliage
but wondered if anyone else has a good workable
solution. (no i don't want to fill the radiator with tea,
it's a Spanish bike not British)
john

The Real Bev

Oct 21, 2021, 1:21:49 PM10/21/21
I suggest strapping a hunk of PVC pipe (cap at bottom, of course) large
enough to contain your thermos(TM) in some reasonable place. Perhaps
some sort of velcro strap at the top to keep the thermos from bouncing out.

Interesting factoid: People crazy enough to climb El Capitan used to
just drop paper bags of shit, which certainly annoyed those below. At
some point they were required to carry it with them and dispose of it
properly. Containers were fabricated from PVC pipe and filled with
plastic bags of shit. If a bag leaked, the thing was cheap enough to
just throw away rather than wash.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I believe that forgiving [terrorists] is God's function.

Volker Bartheld

Oct 21, 2021, 1:31:31 PM10/21/21
On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 10:21:46 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 10/20/2021 07:28 AM, john wrote:
>> given the impending fall cool days.... i was wondering if anyone has
>> a good setup for taking along a 2-4 cup thermos of hot chocolate or
>> coffee. my initial thought was strapping a Stanley thermos to the
>> handle bars for easy access while pausing to take in the fall
>> foliage but wondered if anyone else has a good workable solution.
>> (no i don't want to fill the radiator with tea, it's a Spanish bike
>> not British)
> I suggest strapping a hunk of PVC pipe (cap at bottom, of course) large
> enough to contain your thermos(TM) in some reasonable place. Perhaps
> some sort of velcro strap at the top to keep the thermos from bouncing out.

Or get ditch the GasGas, buy a decent quad (as any sane elderly person
would do) and throw your beverage in the trunk.

Vol"What's the problem with rucksacks?"ker

The Real Bev

Oct 21, 2021, 2:47:45 PM10/21/21
That too. I sewed a really nice one to hold my violin case and tennis
racket when I rode my Ducati to the local community college to play
tennis and in the chamber orchestra. I was good at tennis, but I
promised the orchestra director that I would play REALLY quietly.

Three recreational opportunities in one fell swoop. Life was good.

I also made a really nice 'cello case for my daughter out of a quilt and
some denim. I used to be good at shit.

--
Cheers,Bev
To define recursion, we must first define recursion.

john

Oct 21, 2021, 10:28:38 PM10/21/21
quad:
well i have a New-Holland diesel thing with a 9foot bush-hog on the back
does that count? wait the big guy would kill me if he knew i was on a
quad. i have an army sack that can fit two hard back guitar cases but
that's not really the look i'm going for (AKA James Bond villain guy on
bike with Tommy gun). ruck sack is fine until you fall off the bike
which i rarely do but ya know i'm old and thus getting more tipsy.

my gator has a cup holder but ya know it doesn't hop logs great and
sucks at the tight single track...

i like the pvc tube idea might have to fashion up something without
sharp edges. falling off the bike and hiting various parts on the bike
used to not concern me because you know chick dig scars mentality but
now i'm interested in being able to get my butt out of bed without the
help of hydraulics or a large man named Sven. So i look at every point
on a bike as a potential part to hit me as i tumble over.

john
man i wish i still healed fast like a teen age boy...

The Real Bev

Oct 22, 2021, 2:32:38 AM10/22/21
I know what a bush-hog is. I would be terrified to say anything but
YES. OF COURSE IT COUNTS, WHAT KIND OF IDIOTS DO YOU TAKE US FOR?

For the rest of you city people, imagine a weed-whacker spinning a chain
possibly designed to anchor a medium size cruise ship.

> wait the big guy would kill me if he knew i was on a quad.

We won't tell... for a price...

> i have an army sack that can fit two hard back guitar cases but
> that's not really the look i'm going for (AKA James Bond villain guy
> on bike with Tommy gun). ruck sack is fine until you fall off the
> bike which i rarely do but ya know i'm old and thus getting more
> tipsy.

I don't like carrying anything skiing that I could fall on and injure
myself with and have never done it. Even sunglasses, which took skin
off my face when I tried to plant it in the snow. It turns out that if
you fall at sufficient speed and your skis come off you can fall on a
binding and break two ribs before you roll another 100 feet.

> my gator has a cup holder but ya know it doesn't hop logs great and
> sucks at the tight single track...
>
> i like the pvc tube idea might have to fashion up something without
> sharp edges. falling off the bike and hiting various parts on the
> bike used to not concern me because you know chick dig scars
> mentality but

Yeah. Scrapes, bruises, the occasional temporary dislocation, but
nothing permanent. Scar from a hip replacement just isn't impressive to
anybody. Well, I guess if you give it reverse English -- "Look at that
sucker, it's eight
inches long and you can hardly see it!"

> now i'm interested in being able to get my butt out of bed without
> the help of hydraulics or a large man named Sven.

Rolling works better than sliding.

> So i look at every point on a bike as a potential part to hit me as i
> tumble over.
>
> john man i wish i still healed fast like a teen age boy...

My new hip healed fine. So did the ribs. It's the fucking disks that
refuse to get with the program...

--
Cheers, Bev
(On going to war over religion:) "You're basically killing each other

Michael Sturdevant

Oct 24, 2021, 4:33:16 PM10/24/21
john asks:

Camelbak. Put 2-3 cups of water in it as cushion, thermos on the side away from
your back. It'll act like a back protector.

Go fast. Take chances.
Mike S.

john

Oct 24, 2021, 9:31:44 PM10/24/21
hmmm, good idea kind of like gel pack in the shoulder
of shooting vest. i have a camelback that still stinks
like gator aid around here somewhere..
john
thinking about another week of fall foliage colors to go....