Yamaha TW200 ignition

Futility Man

May 6, 2020, 11:15:00 PM5/6/20
Does the TW200 have a magneto or does it run off the battery and charging
system? I ask because today I started one that had the deadest battery
possible.

My wife's TW has been sitting on the lift for a few years (the tag ran out in
'17) waiting for a carb rebuild. Yesterday I finally got around to it and got
it finished late in the evening. The battery was beyond dead so I put it on the
charger overnight and tried it this morning. Nothing, wouldn't even light the
neutral light. A voltmeter showed 12 volts nominal at the terminals but if I
turned on the ignition, it dropped to near zero.

It's a 96 model with electric and kick starter so just for the helluvit I tried
to kick it. It almost started. (the charger was still hooked up at this point).
I turned the choke off and kicked it again and it fired right up. I figured it
would die when I disconnected the charger but it didn't.

I rode it around a little, shut it off, and it was dead-dead again. But a
single kick and it started right up.

Is it running from a magneto like my grandson's TTR50 or am I kicking it hard
enough to generate enough juice to run the ignition?

The TW uses an odd size battery and nobody local has one that fits in the box.
Looks like I'll have to order one somewhere.

--
Futility Man

sturd....@gmail.com

May 8, 2020, 10:06:14 AM5/8/20
Futility Man asks:

> Does the TW200 have a magneto or does it run off the battery and charging
> system? I ask because today I started one that had the deadest battery
> possible.

Yes it's a generator (permananet magnet) and yes it will run with a totally dead battery.

Go fast. Take chances.
Mike S.