What weight of tranny oil is best 80W or 10w40?

David Boudah

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
In my shop manuals for the KX60 and RM80, it says to use 10w40 motor
oil for the tranny. My local dealer however, insists that I should be
using BelRay Gear Saver Motorcycle transmission Oil SAE 80w gear oil
instead.

What is the deal with the different viscosity oils for the tranny and
do you think I ought to go with the dedicated tranny oil or heed the
shop manual and go with the same 10w40 I use in my car?

many thanks - db

MX Tuner

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
dbo...@ibm.net (David Boudah) wrote:

The automotive oil won't do any damage to any transmission parts. I
have heard the KX 60 water pump seals can be sensitive to what oil is
used. The wrong oils may contribute to early seal failure. I believe
the Bel-Ray gear lube was said to be a good one to use for this.

Bear lube and motor oils are rated on a different viscosity scale.

MX Tuner

Patrick Riley

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98

The Bel-Ray will work just fine. Definitely stay away from common motor
oil in the KX-60. If I had it all to do over again, I would run type-F
tranny oil in my KX-60s. I don't have any more KX-60s now, but they
were fun. I think we went through about 10 to 12 of them with my four
boys (I loose count :-)

Pat Riley

Jamers

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98

>Bear lube and motor oils are rated on a different viscosity scale.
>
>MX Tuner

What the heck is bear lube? I am envisioning claw marks on my back. What
is the correct viscosity to use for NW trailriding?

Jamers

MX Tuner

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
"Jamers" <jamers...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>>Bear lube and motor oils are rated on a different viscosity scale.

>What the heck is bear lube?

Damn spell checker. I guess "bear" is a word, though. Isn't it
supposed to know what I meant? Maybe that would be "thought checker".

>I am envisioning claw marks on my back. What
>is the correct viscosity to use for NW trailriding?

No, claw marks is what you get for NOT using bear lube.

MX Tuner

Ron Byrski

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
Bear lube is very good! I heard it was made from refined bear barf.

MSR man Dave #156
93 CR250R

Kevin Adams

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
On Sun, 13 Sep 1998 15:13:24 GMT, mxt...@mindspring.com (MX Tuner)
wrote:

--->dbo...@ibm.net (David Boudah) wrote:
--->
--->>In my shop manuals for the KX60 and RM80, it says to use 10w40 motor
--->>oil for the tranny. My local dealer however, insists that I should be
--->>using BelRay Gear Saver Motorcycle transmission Oil SAE 80w gear oil
--->>instead.
--->>
--->>What is the deal with the different viscosity oils for the tranny and
--->>do you think I ought to go with the dedicated tranny oil or heed the
--->>shop manual and go with the same 10w40 I use in my car?
--->
--->The automotive oil won't do any damage to any transmission parts. I
--->have heard the KX 60 water pump seals can be sensitive to what oil is
--->used. The wrong oils may contribute to early seal failure. I believe
--->the Bel-Ray gear lube was said to be a good one to use for this.
--->
--->Bear lube and motor oils are rated on a different viscosity scale.
--->
--->MX Tuner

True, the scales are different. 80 Wt gear lube is aprox equivalent to
50 Wt motor oil. When the first 'ground effects' started coming out on
big trucks, we had troubles with fuller transmissions overheating, due
to changes in airflow patterns under the chassis. One adjustment was
to relpace the 80-90 wt 'mineral' type gear lube with 50 wt motor oil.
I used to have a Phillips Petroleum oils handbook around here with a
graphic comparing the varius vescosity scales, but, alas, tis nowhere
to be found......

Kevin Adams

DSPARKX2

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
In article <35ff30a2...@news.arn.net>, wes...@hotmail.com~ (Kevin Adams)
writes:

>--->Bear lube and motor oils are rated on a different viscosity scale.
>--->
>--->MX Tuner
>
>True, the scales are different. 80 Wt gear lube is aprox equivalent to
>50 Wt motor oil. When the first 'ground effects' started coming out on
>big trucks, we had troubles with fuller transmissions overheating, due
>to changes in airflow patterns under the chassis. One adjustment was
>to relpace the 80-90 wt 'mineral' type gear lube with 50 wt motor oil.
>I used to have a Phillips Petroleum oils handbook around here with a
>graphic comparing the varius vescosity scales, but, alas, tis nowhere
>to be found......
>
>Kevin Adams

Interesting, I always wondered, cuz oils for different uses didn't seem
to be as thick/thin as labeled.

I've got another oil question....somebdy..anybody...
Lately the Mobil-1 ATF-F thread came back up. So I tried the ATF-F
in my 99yz125, it seems to work better than the 10-30w that I was
running, particularly since the bike is still new and notchy. Thanks
Tuner and Pat Riley for the experiment.
OK.. so my question...uh, almost forgot. When at the local auto-parts
store to get the ATF-F I also looked at Mobil-1, ouch $5 a quart. They had
three viscosities in stock to choose from. One was a 10 or 20-50w (don't
remember for sure), one was a 10-30w. And the last, which I'm puzzled
about, was a 0-30w. So I thought that's odd, how do you get an oil down
0w. It must go through the viscosity funnel awfully fast. Am I missing
something?? I don't think the stuff was mislabeled, they had a several
cases of it.

-dave-

C5FltEngnr

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98

Dave
You did not see a misprint. The reason you see these new THINNER oils is for
reduced parasitic drag. In other words it helps increase fuel milage. they came
out with them at the car manufactures request. You may have noticed that most
cars now call for 10W30,20 years ago it was 10W40. Soon it will be 0w30.
Have fun Mark
PS. I know that many GM manual trans. changed to tranny fluid. This im guessing
is also for fuel milage. But i wonder how well it handles the shock load, it is
much thinner and wouldnt seem to have as much cushioning effect JAT(Just A
Thought)
C5FLTENGNR
Ride Fast Ride Hard Ride BLUE

MX Tuner

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
c5flt...@aol.com (C5FltEngnr) wrote:

>I know that many GM manual trans. changed to tranny fluid. This im guessing
>is also for fuel milage. But i wonder how well it handles the shock load, it is
>much thinner and wouldnt seem to have as much cushioning effect

Volvo manual transmissions have used ATF (type F) for literally
decades. They are generally pretty reliable transmissions. Any
failures are normally on ultra high mileage cars where a bearing
fails, not gear teeth or synchronizers/

MX Tuner

C5FltEngnr

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
After making the post i started thinking about what i had said. There is
probably a lot more torque on a automobile transmission do to the amount of
torque they produce,and the amount they weigh.
Now i wonder why the bikes(2 stroke) dont come with this in the first
place?(AFT type F) When i get another 2 stroke i will have to try it. Dont
sound like there is anything to lose.

hite...@best.com

Sep 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/18/98
to dbo...@ibm.net
In article <35fbb581...@news2.ibm.net>,

dbo...@ibm.net (David Boudah) wrote:
> In my shop manuals for the KX60 and RM80, it says to use 10w40 motor
> oil for the tranny. My local dealer however, insists that I should be
> using BelRay Gear Saver Motorcycle transmission Oil SAE 80w gear oil
> instead.

> What is the deal with the different viscosity oils for the tranny and
> do you think I ought to go with the dedicated tranny oil or heed the
> shop manual and go with the same 10w40 I use in my car?
>
> many thanks - db

Gear oil and motor oil have different viscosity rating. Here is a chat that
show this. I hope the chart turns out ok.
_______________________________________________________________ | | | SAE
Gear Viscosity Number | |
________________________________________________________ | | |75W |80W
|85W| 90 | 140 | | |
|____|_____|___|______________|________________________| | | | | SAE
Crank Case Viscosity Number | | ____________________________ | | |10|
20 | 30 | 40 | 50 | | | |__|_____|____|_____|______| |

hite...@best.com

Sep 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/18/98
to wes...@hotmail.com

> True, the scales are different. 80 Wt gear lube is aprox equivalent to
> 50 Wt motor oil. When the first 'ground effects' started coming out on
> big trucks, we had troubles with fuller transmissions overheating, due
> to changes in airflow patterns under the chassis. One adjustment was
> to relpace the 80-90 wt 'mineral' type gear lube with 50 wt motor oil.
> I used to have a Phillips Petroleum oils handbook around here with a
> graphic comparing the varius vescosity scales, but, alas, tis nowhere
> to be found......
>
> Kevin Adams

It this the chart your looking for Kevin?

| |
| SAE Gear Viscosity Number |
| ________________________________________________________ |
| |75W |80W |85W| 90 | 140 | |
| |____|_____|___|______________|________________________| |
| |
| SAE Crank Case Viscosity Number |
| ____________________________ |
| |10| 20 | 30 | 40 | 50 | |
| |__|_____|____|_____|______| |
2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24 26 28 30 32 34 36 38 40 42

viscosity cSt @ 100 degrees C

hite...@best.com

Sep 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/18/98

> OK.. so my question...uh, almost forgot. When at the local auto-parts
> store to get the ATF-F I also looked at Mobil-1, ouch $5 a quart. They had
> three viscosities in stock to choose from. One was a 10 or 20-50w (don't
> remember for sure), one was a 10-30w. And the last, which I'm puzzled
> about, was a 0-30w. So I thought that's odd, how do you get an oil down
> 0w. It must go through the viscosity funnel awfully fast. Am I missing
> something?? I don't think the stuff was mislabeled, they had a several
> cases of it.
>
> -dave-

Multi viscosity oils are expected to work at different temps. The oil acts
like a 0w at cool temps and a 30w at high temps. When you start a cool engine
you want your oil to flow freely, so the oil has the characteristics of low a
viscosity oil . Then as the engine warms up, it desirable to have a thicker
oil. This is achieved thru the magic of polymers, a.k.a. plastics. Polymers
are added to give multi viscosity oils their characteristics. The problem
with polymers is they don't add the lubrication properties of the base oil.
Also, the wider the spread, 10w-30 vs. 20w-50, the more polymers are used. I
also read in one of the dirt bike rags that most motor oil have be
reformulated. More friction modifiers have been added to help fight friction,
but is not good for a wet clutch. And the amount of zinc has been cut in
half. Zinc is the last line of defense between metal to metal contact. I
don't know if this is true for the synthetics that are being made.
Personally, I stopped using motor oil in my CR500 after I changed the clutch.
Besides, a bottle of Golden Spectrol and Mobil 1 cost about the same. Golden
Spectrol was designed for your motor cycle transmission and Mobil 1 for your
auto engine. And both work great for there designed applications.

ted

Sep 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/19/98
I haven't seen 0-30w, but I run 5-30w Mobil 1 in my Vette.

Ted

hite...@best.com wrote in article <6tuk4t$nsd$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

Jay C

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
hite...@best.com wrote in message <6tui5r$lgi$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>Gear oil and motor oil have different viscosity rating. Here is a chat

that...

You must be from New England.

Jay C
'98 XR400

hite...@best.com

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98
In article <2rvN1.1271$ws.3...@news.cwix.com>,

"Jay C" <stumpy....@mci2000.com> wrote:
> hite...@best.com wrote in message <6tui5r$lgi$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>
> >Gear oil and motor oil have different viscosity ratings. Here is a chat

> that...
>
> You must be from New England.
>
> Jay C
> '98 XR400

Only if New England is a new county in California.