advice solicited

john

Apr 30, 2021, 9:16:46 PM4/30/21
okay i'm an older gentlemen rider
(yes i have hiking boots & 3/4 white helmet.)
i ride slow and such (most of the time)
and i'm being thrown into the street riding scene after a 30+ yrs absence.

new ride will be a Harley full dress big ass bike and i'm used to doing
slow TST 215lbs bike stuff and sporting a 800 lbs bike is well going to
be different.
planning on doing some parking lot figure 8's but what else should i do
to protect my stupid monkey butt self????????
yes i know llamas are out to get you (thank you rmd) so i'll stay off of
super hunky back roads. what else should i be doing to prepare for
exploding Tesla's & the like.
john
various toys (all out to get me)

The Real Bev

Apr 30, 2021, 10:21:05 PM4/30/21
I can't imagine anyone better able to give you advice than The Big Guy...

--
Cheers, Bev
Please hassle me, I thrive on stress.

Michael Sturdevant

May 1, 2021, 12:35:52 PM5/1/21
john asks:

> > planning on doing some parking lot figure 8's but what else should i do
> > to protect my stupid monkey butt self????????

Braking exercises. Get up to 10-15 mph, brake as hard as you can. Learn the limit
of traction on the front. If it has ABS, learn what that feels like. Up the speed and
do it some more. You want to gain confidence in your right hand being able to hold
the front wheel on the limit of traction. If it's sliding a little, you're there. If not keep trying.

On that thing, you may want to do the same exercises with the rear. It may not transfer
enough weight to the front to make the rear brake useless and if that's true, learn to use
what it's got.

TTr you can use for practice too. Get going 10-15 and lock up the front but stay on the gas.
Ride it around that way with the front sliding. In 2" snow it's easy. Will let you learn what a sliding
front feels like and how to keep riding (instead of falling) while it's sliding.

On another note, you might get a bandana and a Harley tattoo to protect you from a real
Harley guy.

Go fast. Take chances.
Mike S.

john

May 2, 2021, 9:53:09 PM5/2/21
front slides are very strange/scary, used to do those
in the snow with a 76 husky 360 (evil bike)
it's been since the 80's since i;ve street rode.. H-1,
rz350, kaw turbo, cb750, norton, they all had marginal brakes.
i plan to do the cones at the local parking lot or
drive it to my factory and practice there.. the braking
drills are on the list after i get a feel for the
clutch and the drag the front brake low speed stuff
john

john

May 2, 2021, 9:54:31 PM5/2/21
good idea, i'll call him after i pick it up.
john