trails of our own

sturd....@gmail.com

May 12, 2020, 3:07:45 PM5/12/20
We bought 64 acres, a friend and I, just to make our own single track. It turns out that was fairly easy mostly - just ride it and then come back and snip the face slappers. One afternoon of swinging pulaski's to get down a steep embankment.

But now the women folk want hiking trail and that has turned out to be back breaking work. They want to be out in semi-open where they can see birds and that stuff requires snipping multiflora, cutting up logs we'd ride over on the bikes, filling wet spots with logs we cut, etc. Going this afternoon to get maybe another 100 yards cut. Geeze what I get myself into?

Go fast. Take chances.
Mike S.

Futility Man

May 12, 2020, 4:55:13 PM5/12/20
Building and maintaining trails is a never ending chore. Get yourself a compact
tractor, doesn't have to be new. 4wd is good but not essential. A front loader
is worth its weight in gold. Also you need a box blade and a brush mower at a
minimum. You'll use all of those things more than you think. The brush mower
comes in handy for the face-slappers on the trails as well as keeping fields
under control. You'll do more in 10 minutes with a tractor and brush mower than
you'll do in half a day by hand, giving you much more riding time and not
wearing you out.
--
Futility Man

The Real Bev

May 12, 2020, 6:04:31 PM5/12/20
For once I'm on your side!

--
Cheers, Bev
The volume of a pizza of thickness 'a' and radius 'z'

sturd....@gmail.com

May 12, 2020, 10:28:49 PM5/12/20
Futility Man notes:

> Building and maintaining trails is a never ending chore.

Yea no shit.

> Get yourself a compact
> tractor, doesn't have to be new. 4wd is good but not essential. A front loader
> is worth its weight in gold. Also you need a box blade and a brush mower at a
> minimum.

I have all those things and not as useful as you'd think. It's all wooded, at least it was 10-15 years ago before logging and is sorta again now. And cutting trail 5-6 feet wide like the brush hog and box blade and front end loader do is not what we want - then kwads can get down the trail and we've already chased a couple off with warnings about our shooting range.

We thought the same thing but the tractor is staying at home since it was way less useful than we thought for making TST.

One great revelation was just today when I looked up how to make your property a tree farm. It's all regulations and development plans - I do that crap for a living. Now to learn the difference between a silver maple and a sugar maple.

sturd....@gmail.com

May 12, 2020, 10:30:21 PM5/12/20
The Real Bev wibbles:

> For once I'm on your side!

You don't always love and support me? I'm quite disappointed.

Futility Man

May 13, 2020, 6:15:59 AM5/13/20
A silver maple grows quickly, drops limbs everywhere, and dies quickly. The
sugar maple doesn't.

My tractor has 5' attachments and all my trails will accommodate it, along with
my Kawasaki Teryx. I have dirt bikes but at 63 and counting, I don't ride them
much. Keeping the quads out by maintaining narrow trails is like selling all
your tools so they won't be stolen.

I had a neighbor that I caught riding a quad on my land. I told him he could
continue to ride there but no spinning, no digging out the trails. That worked
well for a little while and then I noticed he had put NO TRESPASSING signs on
the border between my place and his. He could ride my land but I was not to
touch his. So I added a steel chain and a 2' oak log across the trail. That
shit works both ways.

My place has 600 foot frontage on a river that's full of rainbow trout. His
does not. My place was the only point of access to that river that he had. His
selfish signs locked him permanently out of the river.

--
Futility Man

The Real Bev

May 13, 2020, 12:29:56 PM5/13/20
On 05/12/2020 07:30 PM, sturd....@gmail.com wrote:
> The Real Bev wibbles:
>
>> For once I'm on your side!
>
> You don't always love and support me? I'm quite disappointed.

Well sure, of course I love and support you no matter how wrongheaded
you are!

sturd....@gmail.com

May 13, 2020, 2:19:20 PM5/13/20
The Real Bev gushes:

> Well sure, of course I love and support you no matter how wrongheaded
> you are!

The feeling is mutual sweety.

sturd....@gmail.com

May 13, 2020, 2:22:07 PM5/13/20
Futility Man posits,

> A silver maple grows quickly, drops limbs everywhere, and dies quickly. The
> sugar maple doesn't.

I'll take that into consideration as I look at them.

> My tractor has 5' attachments and all my trails will accommodate it, along with
> my Kawasaki Teryx.

Mike are all 5' also but I don't want trails that wide. If they are that wide kwads WILL get on them. We make sure that lots of places on the trail are way too narrow and some points too hard for a kwad.

As for still riding, I am very lucky that in less than 60 days I turn 65 but today I'm blowing off work a bit early to ride my WR250 in the woods.

The Real Bev

May 13, 2020, 2:45:40 PM5/13/20
On 05/13/2020 11:19 AM, sturd....@gmail.com wrote:
> The Real Bev gushes:
>
>> Well sure, of course I love and support you no matter how wrongheaded
>> you are!
>
> The feeling is mutual sweety.

Kind of nice to be a grown-up, isn't it?

--
Cheers, Bev
*Are you *sure* there's a hyphen in "anal-retentive?"*

Futility Man

May 14, 2020, 7:05:26 AM5/14/20
On Wed, 13 May 2020 11:22:06 -0700 (PDT), sturd....@gmail.com wrote:

>today I'm blowing off work a bit early

I blew off work a bit early in 2017.

--
Futility Man

john

May 14, 2020, 12:47:24 PM5/14/20
good grief you two are going to break the 7th seal.
john
2020 here comes the aliens on dirt bikes.

XR650L_Dave

Aug 3, 2020, 3:56:49 PM8/3/20
You a new new guy or an old new guy?

Futility Man

Aug 4, 2020, 8:35:59 AM8/4/20
On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 12:56:48 -0700 (PDT), XR650L_Dave <dave.s...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>You a new new guy or an old new guy?

I've been here and reeky, under one name or another, since 1996.

--
Futility Man
www.huntslodge.com