Recondition an xr200 or move on?

Lake

Jul 18, 2003, 2:44:34 PM7/18/03
I have a 1998 XR200. Being a middle aged 5'10", 200 lbs It is in need
of a rebuild (probabably from hauling my oversized a$$ around). I
have been using it to chase my pre-teen kids on their quads. I also
used to be able to tag along with my buddies on desert trail rides,
while they raced ahead on 4stroke 400+ machines, I could normally pull
up the rear and catch up while they were resting, or doubling back on
the group etc...

I know that I can send this to a shop and have it worked over engine
and suspension, but will it result in a reasonably fun bike for
someone like myself. A trail bike....

I have read that a xr400 has 28 hp stock and that the xr200 is about
20 hp stock? So can I get a hop up bore kit/engine work over on the
xr200 to get 28-30 hp and beef up the suspension to handle my weight?
I would use it for another season or two and buy a 400 type bike once
I feel more comfortable with my skills...

Eric Murray

Jul 18, 2003, 5:14:34 PM7/18/03
In article <522cd732.03071...@posting.google.com>,

Lake <sco...@mailandnews.com> wrote:
>I have a 1998 XR200. Being a middle aged 5'10", 200 lbs It is in need
>of a rebuild (probabably from hauling my oversized a$$ around). I

[..]

>I know that I can send this to a shop and have it worked over engine
>and suspension, but will it result in a reasonably fun bike for
>someone like myself. A trail bike....
>
>I have read that a xr400 has 28 hp stock and that the xr200 is about
>20 hp stock?

Whever you read that is lying like a dog. Even the mostly wildly
optimistic dyno wouldn't get more than about 15hp out of
an XR200 and on that dyno the XR400 would show 35hp.

> So can I get a hop up bore kit/engine work over on the
>xr200 to get 28-30 hp and beef up the suspension to handle my weight?

I don't think you can get an XR200 to make that kind of power on
any dyno that's even close to being accurate without spending more
money than an entire used XR400 would cost. Maybe a _new_ XR400.
Then there's the suspension and brake work it'd need... it barely
has enough suspension for the stock motor.

The XR200 is a foofoo trail bike based on what was originally
a 100cc utility bike motor in the early 70s. It's a tribute
to Honda engineering and over-building that it's
reliable at 200cc and 12hp. It's just not made to put out 30hp.
If you could get that much power out of it, it won't
be for long.

Buy a used XR400 and keep the 200 for your wife/kids/loaner bike
or sell it to someone else for their wife/kids.

>I would use it for another season or two and buy a 400 type bike once
>I feel more comfortable with my skills...

The 400 is probably fine for you, it's not a very fierce bike.
If the thought of it scares you get an XR250. It's worlds better
than the XR200 in suspension and handling and has a very sweet motor.

Eric

Slingblade

Jul 19, 2003, 12:25:42 AM7/19/03
Check out http://www.xrsonly.com

I just rebuilt my XR200 for about $400.

Its a 1984 model and this is its first rebuild. I figure $400 every
20 years aint that hard on the old wallet.

If you just like to put-put around and tractor up some hills...and are
a laid back rider....keep the bike.

I ride this bike often and its still fun.. if you can say the same
thing keep it.

Lake

Jul 19, 2003, 12:49:24 PM7/19/03
unitedt...@yahoo.com (Slingblade) wrote in message news:<f75456f5.03071...@posting.google.com>...

A few weeks ago I talked to the guys at xrsonly. It seemed like for
about a grand I could have the bike gone over top to bottom
mechanically, including suspension. If it would perform noticeably
better than when it was new, I bet I would still enjoy it. Being able
to charge down wide flat dirt roads at 40-50 mph is really all I am
looking for.

But I like the suggestion of the xr250. I have rode friends crf450,
yz250, yz426f and a drz400,... I feel really uncomfortable, like the
bikes are SO tall and powerfull!!! I just don't want to get into a
big bike I can't enjoy!

XRConnie

Jul 19, 2003, 8:45:50 PM7/19/03
Well..if you deside you dont want your XR200..I happen to know someone who
might want it......ME....I did a complete rebuild on my XR100 and am now
looking for a 200.:-)

Connie

90 XR100R

Slingblade

Jul 19, 2003, 10:50:39 PM7/19/03

> A few weeks ago I talked to the guys at xrsonly. It seemed like for
> about a grand I could have the bike gone over top to bottom
> mechanically, including suspension. If it would perform noticeably
> better than when it was new, I bet I would still enjoy it. Being able
> to charge down wide flat dirt roads at 40-50 mph is really all I am
> looking for.
>
> But I like the suggestion of the xr250. I have rode friends crf450,
> yz250, yz426f and a drz400,... I feel really uncomfortable, like the
> bikes are SO tall and powerfull!!! I just don't want to get into a
> big bike I can't enjoy!

Heres another suggestion:
Have it bored .30 over, have the heads ported and polished...and if
you want to splurge a little get a better exhaust. This will put you
near a 250 in terms of power.

I think XRsonly is a little steep on their labor....which is why you
were quoted over $1000

If I may make another suggestion: Start nosing around the local bike
shops...and talk to a mechanic for that shop...actually try to talk to
as many mechanics as you can....most of these guys (if not all of
them) are underpaid..
I have met some very good friends by talking to mechanics....and if
you pay them $10-$12 an hour to work on the bike at their home.....you
will have saved a fortune... plus helped them out, plus probably made
a great friend.

(also if you happen upon a Honda mechanic....he can get discount
prices for the parts there at the shop..and also save you a heap more
money if you plan on buying engine parts at the dealer)

I hope this helps..it has worked for me. Best of luck anyway you go,
you cant go wrong either way you go...

dsc

Jul 21, 2003, 4:11:07 PM7/21/03
sco...@mailandnews.com (Lake) wrote in message news:<522cd732.03071...@posting.google.com>...

> unitedt...@yahoo.com (Slingblade) wrote in message news:<f75456f5.03071...@posting.google.com>...
> > Check out http://www.xrsonly.com
> >
> > I just rebuilt my XR200 for about $400.
> >
> > Its a 1984 model and this is its first rebuild. I figure $400 every
> > 20 years aint that hard on the old wallet.
> >
> > If you just like to put-put around and tractor up some hills...and are
> > a laid back rider....keep the bike.
> >
> > I ride this bike often and its still fun.. if you can say the same
> > thing keep it.
>
> A few weeks ago I talked to the guys at xrsonly. It seemed like for
> about a grand I could have the bike gone over top to bottom
> mechanically, including suspension. If it would perform noticeably
> better than when it was new, I bet I would still enjoy it. Being able
> to charge down wide flat dirt roads at 40-50 mph is really all I am
> looking for.

Not money well spent in my opinion. The little XR is a capable bike in
stock form for playing around as long as the hills don't get too
long/steep and you don't try to set any speed records, etc. In fact it
can be a blat to putt around on... almost trials style. Worst part is
you still got double drum brakes. Once you get discs... you'll never
go back.

> But I like the suggestion of the xr250. I have rode friends crf450,
> yz250, yz426f and a drz400,... I feel really uncomfortable, like the
> bikes are SO tall and powerfull!!! I just don't want to get into a
> big bike I can't enjoy!

XR250 is a super bike for playing around. You may still find it a tadd
lacking on power at times, but it is light and nimble and handles
pretty well.

XR400 has ample power... although not explosive... which in your case
is probably what you want. It is fairly heavy and a bit more wallowie
than the 250 though.

The new 250s and 400s are so cheap... it doesn't make any sense to buy
a used one. I paid $5000 out the door for an XR4 in 1997... I'll bet
you can beat that today.

Or maybe the new 230 is to your liking... just a re-worked 200 as I
understand it.

Lee Bower

Jul 23, 2003, 1:55:26 AM7/23/03

"dsc" <Dudley....@eku.edu> wrote in message

I normally ride a '99 YZ250 (re-geared with FMF Gnarly pipe) on
technical/desert rides. I am also about 200# and 5' 11". I recently bought a
'91 XR200R as a buddy bike or for my girlfriend (now an ex). Just for kicks,
I took the XR on a technical ride (near Gorman, CA - Snowy/Miller Jeep/Piute
Creek). I love rocky, technical goat trails. I couldn't believe how much fun
the little XR is! Yes, the drum brakes suck. But the low-end power is
awesome! There was never a time (other than when I accidentally left the
choke part way on) that I felt that I needed more power - I would have liked
better/more suspension. I've ridden most of the 400 and 450 four-strokes,
and for technical riding, I can't see why anyone would waste the money. The
little XR was able to easily keep up with the bigger bikes - even on the
twisty fireroad! I have a newfound respect for little bikes and will spend a
lot more time riding the XR on technical rides.

Lee Bower

dsc

Jul 23, 2003, 10:40:00 AM7/23/03
I can't see why anyone would waste the money. The
> little XR was able to easily keep up with the bigger bikes - even on the
> twisty fireroad! I have a newfound respect for little bikes and will spend a
> lot more time riding the XR on technical rides.

Simple... one big long steep hill... and the little XR is in trouble.
They just don't hafe the power for a serious hill. They are also
lacking in the suspension department. Yet they are great trail bike
when used within their limitations.

James

Jul 23, 2003, 12:32:59 PM7/23/03
Maybe someone can give me a history lesson. Didn't XR200s used to be
designed as off-road racing models vs. now when they're intended to be
basically play bikes?

James
00CR250

unitedt...@yahoo.com (Slingblade) wrote...

Jeff Deeney

Jul 23, 2003, 12:56:58 PM7/23/03

"James" <midwestm...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Maybe someone can give me a history lesson. Didn't XR200s used to be
> designed as off-road racing models vs. now when they're intended to be
> basically play bikes?

In general, I think the design intent of all XR's has been a trail/play
bike. This isn't to say they can't be modified to be a good race bike.
The XR650R might be leaning away from play toward desert sled,
but it's still not in the same league with the lighter 4-strokes.

-Jeffrey Deeney- DoD#0498 NCTR UTMA BRC COHVCO AMA
'99 ATK 260LQ-Stink Wheels '94 XR650L-DreamSickle
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.

dsc

Jul 24, 2003, 3:13:05 PM7/24/03
midwestm...@yahoo.com (James) wrote in message news:<a2f72c3f.03072...@posting.google.com>...

> Maybe someone can give me a history lesson. Didn't XR200s used to be
> designed as off-road racing models

Not... not... not exactly... :) They haven't really changed all that
much since he first ones appeared with mono-shock in the early 1980s.

>vs. now when they're intended to be
> basically play bikes?

They have been somewhat "cheapened" since about 1994 or 1995. More
stamped steel part instead of cast aluminium... slightly lower seat
height, no head/tail light, etc.

mike...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2017, 8:38:51 AM2/23/17
XR Connie. I have an XR200 that needs an engine rebuild. I am in the same boat as our friend here. Could use advice on an inexperienced rebuild or perhaps sell it to one of you fine chaps to rebuild yourselves.

thac...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2020, 11:44:55 PM7/28/20
You have no idea what you are talking about. You would have to bore a 200 about 4mm over (.157") and put in larger valves and a bigger carb to get anywhere near the output of a 4 valve XR250.

Futility Man

Jul 29, 2020, 8:23:33 PM7/29/20
The chances of this still being a current problem since the original post in
2003 are quite slim.
--
Futility Man

sturd....@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2020, 11:47:28 AM7/31/20
Futility Man notes:

> The chances of this still being a current problem since the original post in
> 2003 are quite slim.

Oh I don't know. Why would anybody throw away an XR200? There's always a youngun around to show how to ride and it's perfect.

Go fast. Take chances.
Mike S.

The Real Bev

Jul 31, 2020, 2:34:12 PM7/31/20
On 07/31/2020 08:47 AM, sturd....@gmail.com wrote:
> Futility Man notes:
>
>> The chances of this still being a current problem since the original post in
>> 2003 are quite slim.
>
> Oh I don't know. Why would anybody throw away an XR200? There's always a youngun around to show how to ride and it's perfect.

I still have my 1980 KDX175 and my son got it running again several
months ago. I regret giving away my Ducati even thought I KNEW I was
never going to replace the clutch.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Futility Man

Jul 31, 2020, 5:10:58 PM7/31/20
On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 11:34:10 -0700, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I still have my 1980 KDX175 and my son got it running again several
>months ago. I regret giving away my Ducati even thought I KNEW I was
>never going to replace the clutch.

Ten years ago someone gave me a 1962 Rokon Trailbreaker. I never got it
running. Earlier this year I gave it back.
Three of my wife's bikes qualify for antique tags, one of mine will qualify next
year.

--
Futility Man

XR650L_Dave

Aug 3, 2020, 3:54:01 PM8/3/20
I started on an '82 XR200, piggy-back shocks. Trials-bike light and geared crazy low, perfect backwoods exploring bike.

Allan Grote

Dec 15, 2023, 2:16:11 PM12/15/23
To those looking to race a 200 XR, this isn’t what that bike was built for! Honda has plenty of race bikes available in all price ranges, the old adage of “SPEED COSTS MONEY, HOW FAST DO YA WANT TO GO” still holds. I’ll add, if you are riding for fun, and want to have fun for years and years, buy yourself a XR200. I tidy my original XR 200 from 1983 (new bike) to October 2020, when stolen by a massive forest fire that stole everything We had, leaving only ashes.
I’m presently building 4 XR’s and finished 2 additional CT90’s for my grand kids. At my point I; life, I’ve learned a lot, but pertaining to motorcycles, speed isn’t impressive, dependability and fun rule!
My objective, Have more fun every day, you nor I will ever know how many we have!

Allan Grote

Dec 15, 2023, 2:37:45 PM12/15/23
Very interesting, My little XR200 (non mono shock) that I rode in high mountains in Colorado, my house was at 8,800’ and was at the start of the trails I rode regularly in groups and sole rides well over 12,000’ on the snowmobile trails above Grand Lake, CO for nearly 40 years. Rarely ran out of power, braking wasn’t as good as modern bikes, but sufficient to have fun. I rode with several friends on their race ready 2 strokes, sure they pulled away, but no one complained about waiting… at the end of the day, riding a bike that’s 40 or 50 pounds lighter is a heck of a big advantage, plus much more fun!
One thing I learned, unless you want a room full of plastic mementos, buy a well made light bike that just doesn’t break. My 1983 XR200 dual shock made it nearly 40 years with only spark plugs oil changes and 4 or 5 sets of imported cheap tires. The day the fire took my Honda, it also took my 175 Enduro Yamaha, a very close chase for my favorite bike ever! But, I’m replacing the Honda…

Pothos

Dec 15, 2023, 6:54:30 PM12/15/23
I also had an '83 XR200, and decided to get it street legal. The XR's
fork, shocks, swingarm, kickstand, and exhaust system are installed on
my '79 XL185S.