Old dry transfer letters don't work

Bill Bowden

May 28, 2008, 9:22:22 PM5/28/08
I have a collection of old Chartpak "rub on" letters and numbers of
various sizes. Unfortunately, they are so old (20 years or more) they
won't rub off anymore. A few of them still work with extreme pressure,
but most are permently attached to the sheet. I tried using a little
heat from a soldering iron without success.

Any idea how to get the old letters to transfer to a painted surface,
or should I just throw them in the trash?

-Bill

bluumule

May 28, 2008, 11:32:11 PM5/28/08
The carrier paper has bonded to the lettering, cut one away from the
sheet an try soaking it in water. This should rehydrate the paper.
Allow the paper to dry and try transferring it to a surface. If it
works you can soak the whole sheet. I had a similar problem a while
back and this worked for me.

maie...@netscape.com

May 29, 2008, 8:33:41 PM5/29/08
Take all of the sheets and decal stock to a color copier. Shoot some b/
w to make sure that they fit. Black items can be done ona a b/w
copier. White won't copy on either unless you shoot them onto a sheet
of white decal stock. When you get home carefully dust the finished
product with Glosscote or something similar.

I've done this with a score of ABT decals and have had great results.

Tom

Bill Bowden

May 31, 2008, 12:34:47 AM5/31/08

Tried soaking in water overnight without success. Also tried boiling
water with same result.

I found a couple websites that sell these things, but they don't
specify font variety or how many letters are included in the package.
You just have to guess at what you get.

I have GIF file of the logo and text I want to use, and converted it
to JPG, and then resized it with PhotoShop to fit the surface area.
I'm going to make a print tomorrow at Wal-Mart to see if the result is
something I can just glue on that doesn't look too tacky.

-Bill

som...@some.domain

May 31, 2008, 12:49:10 AM5/31/08
call me captain obvious, but did you try to ask them how many?
email or phone maybe?

Bill Bowden

Jun 1, 2008, 12:44:07 AM6/1/08
On May 30, 9:49 pm, some...@some.domain wrote:

Ask who? I have the file I need, the only question is who can do the
best job printing it. Most places I visit have broken printers and
don't know what's going on. It's hard to find a good printing service
that understands the problem. But I will keep looking.

-Bill

som...@some.domain

Jun 1, 2008, 1:50:53 AM6/1/08
i think i was answering someone else's question becuase i can't find your
post. tough day...

Playwoman

Oct 15, 2021, 1:18:04 PM10/15/21
replying to Bill Bowden, Playwoman wrote:
I tried soaking in rubbing alcohol, with no luck.

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/scale/old-dry-transfer-letters-don-t-work-100760-.htm