Aircraft Carrier Scale 1/72

Mikael Landin

Apr 7, 2003, 6:19:40 AM4/7/03
Hi, all
I have heard about a retired man re-making the aircraft carrier where he
used to serve, in 1/72 scale. The airplanes and figurines where bought but
the Carrier was built from the drawings,photos and memories. I think he
built this huge modell in his basement.
Is this true???
Is there any links or photos of this?
What Aircraft carrier was it?

Thx from Mikael

Frank May

Apr 7, 2003, 7:30:05 AM4/7/03
At one time & maybe now, there was a 1/72 fiberglass basic kit of the
Nimitz, IIRC. The hull was in 3 sections as was the deck & there was a
detail kit which had the island & a few other odds & ends. When finished
it was about 16' long & 4' wide. FSM had an article on a build-up some
time back & back in early '85, the now defunct, I think, Scale Ship
Modeler had an article or review of the kit. ISTR FSM also had an
article about a 1/72 scratchbuilt WWII Enterprise

RC Boater

Apr 7, 2003, 8:57:52 AM4/7/03
Not sure if this is the onte you're thinking of, but...

Go to www.modelwarships.com and click on "feature Articles". Scroll down a
bit, and you'll find a multi-part article by Bill Waldorf on his 1/72 scale
WW2 Escort Carrier USS Gambier Bay (CVE-73).

-Bill

-- Check out my USCG Model Kit list at
http://home.earthlink.net/~billkaja/kitlist.htm
"Mikael Landin" <mikael....@telia.com> wrote in message

Ed

Apr 7, 2003, 11:10:44 AM4/7/03
I remember when I was younger the Navy Recruiting office here had a large, I
think 1/72, USS Enterprise they would use for recruiting drives. It actually
had a section of deck that could be removed so an operator could sail it on
ponds and lakes. It was always cool to see, as my uncles business was next
door to it. It was mostly on a trailer when I saw it, but was abut 15-16
feet long.

Ed

Don Harstad

Apr 7, 2003, 12:01:51 PM4/7/03

"Mikael Landin" <mikael....@telia.com> wrote in message

There's a 1/72nd scale USS Nimitz (CVN 68) at Nimitz museum in
Fredricksburg, TX. It's a beautiful thing.

Don H.

Bill W

Apr 7, 2003, 1:43:32 PM4/7/03
Several computer crashes and lost bookmark files ago, I had a link to a site
in Japan (?) where a guy was in the process of making available a 1/72
Nimitiz Class card model.

HTH,

Bill W.

Maiesm72

Apr 7, 2003, 4:16:29 PM4/7/03
The company was called Super Ships. The subject was the USS Nimitz. They were
located in Lake Park, Florida.

The ads first ran in 1984. Only a handfull were produced and they are rarely if
ever found for sale. This is the largest kit ever produced in 1/72 (or probably
any other scale) scale.

Seveal people have done scratchbuilt aircraft carriers in 1/72. The latest is
shown in the current (May, 2003) issue of Fine ScaleModeler. This one is by far
the most unusual, the USS Wolverine paddlewheel Great Lakes training carrier.
It's almost eight feet long and sixteen inches wide.

In the same vein ESM 72 has listed 200 kits and models of 1/72 scale ships and
boats. The largest single producer was the now defunct Repilcas by Tyson which
produced "solid" ship models.

Tom

James Woody

Apr 7, 2003, 7:02:21 PM4/7/03
Bill, try the Paper links page on ipmsoc.org. I to remember one of our
club members talking about it.

Woody

Rob van Riel

Apr 8, 2003, 12:39:44 PM4/8/03
"Mikael Landin" <mikael....@telia.com> wrote in message news:<0hcka.4480$Du.1...@newsc.telia.net>...

Well, there was a scratchbuilt 1/72 Enterprise featured in FSM of
March 1997. Built by an older modeler, but no mention of it being the
ship he served on.

Rob

Bill W

Apr 8, 2003, 1:30:21 PM4/8/03
IIRC that guy was a dentist from somewhere in Europe...

Bill W

"Rob van Riel" <ro...@mail.com> wrote in message

William H. Shuey

Apr 8, 2003, 2:17:17 PM4/8/03
to Mikael Landin

And there was a big (1/72 ?) model of a modern carrier outside the Navy
Aircraft area at the National Air & Space Museum when I was there some
years ago.

Bill Shuey

jerry 47

Apr 9, 2003, 5:12:43 AM4/9/03
It's the Enterprise CVA(N) -65.
There are also large carrier models at the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola,
FL.
Jerry 47

"William H. Shuey" <whs...@starpower.net> wrote in message

Al Superczynski

Apr 8, 2003, 5:47:54 PM4/8/03
On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 14:17:17 -0400, "William H. Shuey"
<whs...@starpower.net> wrote:

>...there was a big (1/72 ?) model of a modern carrier outside the Navy
>Aircraft area at the National Air & Space Museum...

That one is 1/100 scale. Lots of very well done scratchbuilt
aircraft on it.

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.

Check out my want and disposal lists at "Al's Place":
http://www.network54.com/realm/modeleral/
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to,
and the critics will flame you every time."

Tim Holland

Apr 8, 2003, 7:24:07 PM4/8/03
Last time I was there it was 1 of every class CV or CVN we made. Real
impressive, and I think they were all the same scale, either 1/72 or 1/100.

Tim

"jerry 47" <gaho...@hiwaay.net> wrote in message

Apr 8, 2003, 7:49:28 PM4/8/03
i remember aircraft carrier models the navy ran in parades
in the 60's. they parked one in front of my high school for
a couple of days, but it was modern, so i didn't care at
that time. if it had been the langley........

John Alger

Apr 9, 2003, 8:22:09 PM4/9/03
"Mikael Landin" <mikael....@telia.com> wrote in message news:<0hcka.4480$Du.1...@newsc.telia.net>...
> Hi, all
> I have heard about a retired man re-making the aircraft carrier where he
> used to serve, in 1/72 scale.

There are a number of aircraft carrier models around in 1/72 scale.
The EAA museum has one - USS Enterprise CV-9 (featured in FSM some
time back - done by a number of IPMS guys in team style), also a 1/72
IJN Akagi at the Pearl Harbor Museum in Hawaii, at least one other USS
Enterprise, and the USS Wolverine, currently featured in FSM. Probalby
more I am not aware of.

John Alger
IPMS 10906
Charlotte NC

Meindert

May 18, 2003, 2:59:00 PM5/18/03
well, a couple of guys of the ship Special Interest Group of IPMS The
Netherlands are working on a.....

1/48 scale USS Enterprise... (26 feet in length...)

yep.... it will be made to float, cruise and a full complement of jets
of the sixties.... unfortunately no pics yet.

Meindert
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ipms

Eyeball2002308

May 18, 2003, 3:23:23 PM5/18/03
good lord...will they give rides???

seno...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2020, 6:30:38 PM4/23/20
The air museum at the Oakland Airport has a model of the USS Hornet with B-25s, I believe.

Mike Smith

Apr 28, 2020, 10:24:02 AM4/28/20
On Thursday, 23 April 2020 23:30:38 UTC+1, seno...@gmail.com wrote:
> The air museum at the Oakland Airport has a model of the USS Hornet with B-25s, I believe.

Well that's my next arrival airport in the US settled then!

Thanks

Cheers

Mike