Edgley Optima

Neil Auchterlonie

Dec 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/12/97

I am looking for plans on the Edgley Optima could any know of any plan
service or where I could find them .

Ken Duffey

Dec 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/12/97

Neil Auchterlonie wrote:

> I am looking for plans on the Edgley Optima could any know of any plan
> service or where I could find them .

I can't help with plans - but the name is OPTICA - it was an observation
plane.

Regards

Ken Duffey

Bullpup

Dec 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/14/97
to Neil Auchterlonie

Neil Auchterlonie wrote:

> I am looking for plans on the Edgley Optima could any know of any plan
> service or where I could find them .

Hello Neil,

As I guess you already know, the Edgley Optica was intended to provide a
slow-flying, fixed-wing, commercial alternative to helicopters in the
role of aerial surveillance, photography, etc., and was built in the
late 1970s/early 1980s by a small (very small) UK company at Old Sarum,
near Salisbury in Hampshire. As I recall, its most unusual feature was
the use of a ducted fan engine with the bulbous cockpit (2, or perhaps
3, seater side-by-side?) bolted onto the front (in profile it looked a
bit like an egg glued to the end of a loo roll tube!). Unfortunately
the pre-production machines had a habit of crashing, the last time with
fatal consequences, and the aircraft was abandoned.

Due to the machine's relatively short-lived existence I don't think
there are any scale model plans for it, and the full scale versions may
well have suffered the same fate as the aircraft. However, I'm told by
a helicopter-flying friend that Pilot Magazine carried at least two
articles/reviews of the aircraft back in the early '80s and might,
therefore, have some info (if not images) on the plans. Their address
is:

Pilot Publishing,
28 Old Town,
London SW4 0LB
UK

Tel: +44 171 498 2506
Fax: +44 171 498 6920

It might be worth dropping them a line.

--
Regards,

Bullpup

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
BRISTOL, UK - home of the 'Whispering Death' and Concorde
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bullpup

Dec 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/15/97
to bul...@dial.pipex.com

Bullpup wrote:

[snip]

> ........by a small (very small) UK company at Old Sarum, near Salisbury in Hampshire.

Whooops! Ever felt foolish?

"Never believe everything you read in the newspapers" is an adage which
should also apply to newsgroup messages penned in the early hours of the
morning by 'yours truly'.

Despite what I wrote earlier, Salisbury still lies within the County of
Wiltshire -- NOT Hampshire! My apologies for any confusion caused.

At times like this I wish I was on Prozac or something similar so I
could blame *it* for my error. As it is, I'll just put it down to
temporary mental instability brought about by the pressures of Christmas
shopping.

Rob de Bie

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

In article <34948C...@dial.pipex.com>, bul...@dial.pipex.com says...

>Bullpup wrote:
>>
>[snip]
>>
>> ........by a small (very small) UK company at Old Sarum, near
Salisbury in Hampshire.

I've lost the beginning of the thread, which was about drawings of the
Optica. I have a brochure of this aircraft, which a simple line drawing
of the aircraft, plus basic dimensions. Would that be sufficient?

Rob de Bie

--
"I don't know! I'm not some .. rocket .. uhhh .. some rocket ship or
something!" (Butt-head)

highfor...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2020, 2:09:15 AM3/31/20
I would live any tech literature for the Optics Aircraft.
..
I would prefer production drawings and.or intellectual rights and production rights for this aircraft.
..
If possible I would like to purchase the rights to build a modern version of this aircraft.
Anyone who can connect me with John Edgley it correct owners would be appreciated.
..
I have the funding and technical staff to pull this off..
..
Dave R. Mason PhD
High Forrest Technologies Group
highfor...@gmail.com