Tallmantz Phoenix P-1 Model

David T. Okamura

Jun 1, 2003, 11:34:56 PM6/1/03
A couple months ago, there was a long thread concerning the aircraft used in
"The Flight of the Phoenix". It was mentioned that no commercial model of
this plane existed, and that major kitbashing would be required. I made a
suggestion to Ed Bertschy, who is a very talented paper model designer in
Arizona. He became fascinated by the story of the Phoenix and its pilot,
the great air racer and Hollywood stunt pilot Paul Mantz.

The results of his research can be found at
http://home.earthlink.net/~eellbee/index.html. Bert has created a couple
Paul Mantz tribute pages on his website (I'm sure he'd welcome any
suggestions and additional links), but the last page features a downloadable
1:48 scale paper model of the Phoenix. While some parts might be a bit
challenging to cut out, the model itself is fairly simple and the
instructions are very good. (Plastic modelers might prefer to use the parts
as templates for sheet styrene.) Completed, it's an eye-catching model of a
surprisingly attractive aircraft, considering the Phoenix was deliberately
made to look like it was built from bits of wreckage.

You can also find Bert's other models, including the Hannibal Twin 8 from
"The Great Race" and a 1953 Dodge M-37 3/4 ton truck. (Bert's thinking of
not only making the tow truck version Jonathan Winters drove in "It's a Mad,
Mad, Mad, Mad World", but perhaps even the Twin Beech flying through the
Coca-Cola billboard from the same movie -- Mantz' partner Frank Tallman was
responsible for that classic stunt.) There's also a AQM-60 Ramjet Drone
with dolly and an incredible steam engine whose parts can actually move.
Don't try this last one as your first attempt at paper modeling!

I think even devoted plastic modelers will be impressed with Bert's
remarkable design skills and artistry. His site is worth a look.

--
David T. Okamura
dtok...@earthlink.net

Kenneth Bertschy

Jan 13, 2024, 5:27:50 PMJan 13
Hi, David,

Kenneth Bertschy

Jan 13, 2024, 5:31:23 PMJan 13
On Saturday, January 13, 2024 at 3:27:50 PM UTC-7, Kenneth Bertschy wrote:
> Hi, David,
This is Ed Bertschys' twin brother. Ed passed away two days ago. If you have any questions or clarifications on the model, you can contact me at ken...@cox.net.

Ken