Newbie airbrush woes

braf

Mar 22, 2002, 11:33:21 PM3/22/02

I'm not totally new to using an airbrush, but I've recently gotten a new
airbursh (Iwata HP-BCS vs. old Aztek) and a compressor (vs cans). I
didn't have much problems using the Iwata with cans. In fact, I liked it
a heck of a lot and thought it was worth shelling out for a compressor
(and I'm sure it is). I've been having trouble with it though.

My main problem is that when using the compressor, I get a heck of a lot
of mist coming out of the brush after I spray. I'll spray the model
piece I'm working on, but the air around me will be thick with
paint-thinner-mist. I really can't work like that (especially in my
basement... I've got to move to the garage if i can't figure this out),
and it's quite frustrating. I've never had this problem using
cans--airbrushing was a fairly clean activity. I don't have any cans
sitting around anymore to do any comparisons; and I feel silly buying
one when I have a compressor :P

I'm using Gunze Sangyo acrylics and rubbing alcohol as thinner. Can
someone suggest what might be causing this? Would this have something to
do with air pressure? Is it a side effect of letting too much paint out
of the brush? I never knew what the PSI of those cans were, but it was
generally quite forceful when the can was full. I have been getting the
impression that I may not be thinning enough due to guck around the
siphon-feed bottle's spout.

Another problem is that I suffered a mental lapse while purchasing my
airbrush and bought a siphon feed; I'd rather have a gravity feed for
modeling. One of my problems here is that when I take the bottle out,
there's still paint up the hole that the bottle plugs into. When I plug
in a bottle with cleaning solution, paint can come into the cleaning
solution. That's not good. I replace the bottle the recommended way;
that is to tilt the brush pointing up, pull the trigger back and tap the
end of the brush with my hand to get remaining paint into the bottle.
Does anyone have any tips or suggestions to replace bottles in a more
clean way?

Thanks for any advice.

Cfbush2000

Mar 23, 2002, 1:44:08 AM3/23/02
It sounds like you may be using to much pressure. I use between 15 - 20 psi
for most projects. I'm sure others will post more on psi settings.
HTH
Chuck
http://hometown.aol.com/cfbush2000/index.html

P.Olziersky

Mar 23, 2002, 8:33:08 AM3/23/02
Most probably too much pressure. Can't you tell by the force that the paint
is coming out of your brush? I used to have the same problem with cans. A
cloud of paint all around. I even got some flies killed that way. No sh*t! I
was spraying outdoors and they were flying around and after the session they
were dead on my bench. Anyway if the brush has a regulator turn it down to
10 PSI and work your way up. If your compressor is an "el cheapo" like mine,
then experiment with the bleed valve (a hollow screw usually on the top of
the compressor). That will let some air out and decrease the pressure.
ALWAYS wear a respirator, especially if you continue with that mist...

Can't help you with the bottom feed. May be sell it and buy a gravity one?
Pavlos

braf

Mar 23, 2002, 9:50:14 AM3/23/02
Cfbush2000 wrote:
> It sounds like you may be using to much pressure. I use between 15 - 20 psi
> for most projects. I'm sure others will post more on psi settings.

I'll try it out lower, but I thought I was doing it fairly low (like
around 20).

Chris

Mar 23, 2002, 10:37:47 AM3/23/02
I got a BCS last weekend (I also have a Paasche VL). I use Gunze
paints & rubbing alcohol also & I find the BCS works great with about
10 psi. It also seems more forgiving of paint/thinner ratios than the
Paasche.
As for the paint in the feed hole, I don't find it a problem, but you
could always stick a cotton swab up it.

Chris

C. Baltrinic

Mar 23, 2002, 11:14:30 AM3/23/02
On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 04:33:21 GMT, braf <f...@bar.foo> wrote:

One of the lastest issues of FINE SCALE MODELER has a long article on
cleaning airbrushes. It covers all types of airbrushes and paint
types. I think it would be worth your time to find a copy and read it.
I think it was the march or feb 2002 issue.

>My main problem is that when using the compressor, I get a heck of a lot
>of mist coming out of the brush after I spray.

Sounds like you are using much to high of an air pressure. Does your
compressor have a regulator? You should be spraying at 15-25 PSI
normally--I usually spray at 15-20psi

>Another problem is that I suffered a mental lapse while purchasing my
>airbrush and bought a siphon feed; I'd rather have a gravity feed for
>modeling. One of my problems here is that when I take the bottle out,
>there's still paint up the hole that the bottle plugs into.

That paint is kept there by a vacumm, before you remove the paint jar,
pull the trigger back and hold it there a few seconds to let the paint
drain back into the bottle (pulling the trigger back pulls the needle
back and breaks the seal wich releases the vacumm that holds the paint
there) It will also help to tilt the airbrush back a little while
doing this to get the help of gravity.

>in a bottle with cleaning solution, paint can come into the cleaning
>solution. That's not good.

The best way to clean this is not to use an airbrush bottle full of
thinner.

Get a 6 or 8 ounce plastic squeeze bottle and squirt thinner into the
siphon tube as you hold the airbrush inverted. You can just shoot a
stream of thinner into the airbrush cavity and spray it through. also,
you squeeze real hard and get a high pressure stream of thinner to
blast away that dried on paint which will require less "spraying"
which will result in less airborne paint thinner particles.

I get these bottles at rockler.com:
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/findprod.cfm?&DID=6&sku=1424

Qtips also help in cleaning. just remember, you can only use a Qtip
for a few seconds before it starts to leave cotton pieces inside the
brush, which is not a total disaster but should be avoided.

I replace the bottle the recommended way;
>that is to tilt the brush pointing up, pull the trigger back and tap the
>end of the brush with my hand to get remaining paint into the bottle.
>Does anyone have any tips or suggestions to replace bottles in a more
>clean way?

No,I never use bottles for painting models (well I did not use them
when I had a siphone feed) I now have a gravity feed. The only real
advantage to using bottles is when you are going to need a large
amount of paint. I guess they are great for T-Shirt airtists, but not
for me ;-P

>Thanks for any advice.

Hey, just a note. I have the Iwata HP-BCS and a gravity feed iwata
HP-BS. They are both excellent , but I use my HP-BS 95% of the time.
The only time I used the BCS is for realy big jobs like spraying an
aluminum finish on a 1/48 B-17 bomber or Clear coats during decaling.

The BS is much easier(meaning faster) to clean and do color changes

HTH