AIR:Blue Angles Fat Albert decals

Jon B. Syvertsen

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

I took a second look at the instructions and decals of the kit. It labels
the Fat Albert as a MARINES aircraft! I thougt Blue Angels belonged to the
NAVY? The aircraft on the box has a U.S.Navy yellow marking on top of the
right wing. This is not in the kit.

Am I totally out of my mind, or is it just the decals/kit/instructions

Jon B. Syvertsen
--
For so long
We have done so much

Bruce Buchner

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96
Fat Albert is a Marine A/C. If you go to an airshow where they perform
you will note that one or two of the pilots are also Marines.

Bruce

James Corley

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

In <01bbdab6$7e8885c0$36f2...@samcs.telepost.no> "Jon B. Syvertsen"

<sa...@online.no> writes:

>I took a second look at the instructions and decals of the kit. It
labels
>the Fat Albert as a MARINES aircraft! I thougt Blue Angels belonged to
the
>NAVY? The aircraft on the box has a U.S.Navy yellow marking on top of
the
>right wing. This is not in the kit.
>
>Am I totally out of my mind, or is it just the
decals/kit/instructions

The aircraft is a USMC plaane, as they are the normal oeprator of the
type, but who do you think "owns" the Marines? (Don't let the
leathernecks here/see this......) It's the Navy. The pilots and crewmen
of the Blues, like many CVWs, are a mix of USN and USMC personnel. Of
course, the Navy dominates the mix, as it has a larger pool to draw
from, but the Corps is well represented.

As for the markings, I never really thought about it. They are wrong
for the current aircraft, as FA is now (AFAIK, unless it reverted) a
3-tone grey with low vis markings.

rhin...@aol.com

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

Fat Albert is a Marine A/C. If you go to an airshow where they perform
you will note that one or two of the pilots are also Marines.

Bruce

Not only one or two pilots, but the entire crew.

John

Duane P Mantick

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

jdco...@ix.netcom.com(James Corley ) writes:

<snip>

>As for the markings, I never really thought about it. They are wrong
>for the current aircraft, as FA is now (AFAIK, unless it reverted) a
>3-tone grey with low vis markings.

I have seen BOTH C130's at shows in recent years - the dull gray
one and the blue/yellow one. I sure hope that they haven't
retired the blue/yellow one.

In case any of you have never seen it, at some shows they let
the C130 do a JATO take-off which is VERY impressive for a big
bird like the Herk....loud, too.

Duane

Joe Hegedus

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

In article <01bbdab6$7e8885c0$36f2...@samcs.telepost.no>, "Jon says...

>I took a second look at the instructions and decals of the kit. It labels
>the Fat Albert as a MARINES aircraft! I thougt Blue Angels belonged to the
>NAVY? The aircraft on the box has a U.S.Navy yellow marking on top of the
>right wing. This is not in the kit.
>
>Am I totally out of my mind, or is it just the decals/kit/instructions
>
>Jon B. Syvertsen

Yes, the Fat Albert Herky-bird is a Marine aircraft.

Joe

Todd Enlund

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

rhin...@aol.com wrote:

>Bruce

>John

I believe that Bruce was referring to the Blue Angels pilots, not the
Fat Albert crew.

Todd Enlund
F-15 Weapons, LA Air Guard

"Bandits at 3 O'clock"
"Roger. What should I do 'till then?"

James A. "Tony" Crews

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

> you will note that one or two of the pilots are also Marines.
>
> Bruce

Bruce is right. The USMC is part of the Navy, but still retains status
as a separate service in some aspects. The Commandant of the Marine
Corps is a four star general and reports to the Chief of Naval
Operations. This is only natural for the Navy and the Marines since
their missions are so closely related. The Marine Corps, the Navy's
amphibious ground force, is a further extension of sea power in the big
scheme of things.

la...@aol.com

Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96

In article <57cop7$n...@mozo.cc.purdue.edu>,

wb9...@constellation.ecn.purdue.edu (Duane P Mantick) writes:

> I have seen BOTH C130's at shows in recent years - the dull gray
>one and the blue/yellow one. I sure hope that they haven't
>retired the blue/yellow one.

At the "Last Navy Airshow" at Miramar this year the C-130 was
yellow/blue/(white?). So it's still around.

Dale G Elhardt
LA...@AOL.COM
You're only young once, but you can always be immature.

George Nock

Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96

la...@aol.com wrote:

I read somewhere that when albert is in the shop they used the gray
aircraft for a while

Ken Koller

Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96

On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, George Nock wrote:

> la...@aol.com wrote:
>
> >wb9...@constellation.ecn.purdue.edu (Duane P Mantick) writes:
>
> >> I have seen BOTH C130's at shows in recent years - the dull gray
> >>one and the blue/yellow one. I sure hope that they haven't
> >>retired the blue/yellow one.
>
> >At the "Last Navy Airshow" at Miramar this year the C-130 was
> >yellow/blue/(white?). So it's still around.

> I read somewhere that when albert is in the shop they used the gray
> aircraft for a while

I have a shot of an all-over white Fat Albert. Is that the same as the Grey
one?

I also have a shot of two #7s parked next to each other at the NAS Point
Mugu a few years ago.

Ken Koller

* Fire/Rescue/EMS Photography *
* http://www.islandnet.com/~waynej/Ken_Koller/fireline.html *
* kko...@adnetsol.com *
* *
* "Now black is white and white is black, *
* got politicians smokin' crack *
* and John Paul's all bullet-proofed *
* it puts me through the roof." *
* -- Van Halen "Feelin'" *

Nick Kiriokos

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96
to sa...@online.no

"Jon B. Syvertsen" <sa...@online.no> wrote:
>I took a second look at the instructions and decals of the kit. It labels
>the Fat Albert as a MARINES aircraft! I thougt Blue Angels belonged to the
>NAVY? The aircraft on the box has a U.S.Navy yellow marking on top of the
>right wing. This is not in the kit.
>
>Am I totally out of my mind, or is it just the decals/kit/instructions
>
>Jon B. Syvertsen
>--
>For so long
>We have done so much
>With so little
>That we are now qualified
>To do anything with nothing

The Blue Angels are a combined Navy and Marine Corps team. "Fat Albert" belongs to the
Blues, but is marked with "MARINES" to symbolize the team effort.

Nick

les....@faa.dot.gov

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

In article <E1JAw...@news.dfrc.nasa.gov>, Nick says...

>The Blue Angels are a combined Navy and Marine Corps team. "Fat Albert" belongs to the
>Blues, but is marked with "MARINES" to symbolize the team effort.

BTW, the latest Meteor Productions update lists Cutting Edge as coming out with a 1:72 Fat Albert
sheet. Don't know if it includes "Marines."

BTW#2...What model C-130 *is* Fat Albert, anyway? Recommended kits?

Les

Jon B. Syvertsen

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

les....@faa.dot.gov skrev i artikkelen <57hreq$s...@lana.zippo.com>...
<snip>

> BTW#2...What model C-130 *is* Fat Albert, anyway? Recommended kits?
>
> Les

It is a KC-130F. However, my kit gives me alternate markings for USAF
C-130E and sevral other C-130Hs. Don't know if this is some shortcut, by
Italeri, but, if they are right, yoy can use any C-130E or H and also
KC-130F.

Jon B. Syvertsen - sa...@online.no

Martin Sagara

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

les....@faa.dot.gov wrote:
: In article <E1JAw...@news.dfrc.nasa.gov>, Nick says...

: >The Blue Angels are a combined Navy and Marine Corps team. "Fat Albert" belongs to the
: >Blues, but is marked with "MARINES" to symbolize the team effort.

: BTW, the latest Meteor Productions update lists Cutting Edge as coming out with a 1:72 Fat Albert
: sheet. Don't know if it includes "Marines."

: BTW#2...What model C-130 *is* Fat Albert, anyway? Recommended kits?

Les:

Testors used to sell the 1/72 Italeri C-130 in the Blue Angels scheme. I believe that Italeri
still sells the kit with these markings. I can't recall exactly, but I think the Testors/Italeri
kit is a C-130E.

BTW: Belated Congratulations on your "Jeopardy!" victory!

Martin Sagara "Never before have so many,
Research Associate understood so little,
Wings Over The Rockies Air and Space Museum about so much"
Hangar No. 1, Old Lowry AFB
Denver, Colorado USA James Burke speaking about
(303) 360-5360 technology in "Connections"
http://www.abwam.com/air&space
msa...@rmii.com

Ken Koller

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Todd Enlund wrote:

> rhin...@aol.com wrote:
>
> >Fat Albert is a Marine A/C. If you go to an airshow where they perform

> >you will note that one or two of the pilots are also Marines.
>

> >Not only one or two pilots, but the entire crew.
>

> I believe that Bruce was referring to the Blue Angels pilots, not the
> Fat Albert crew.

Blue Angel #2 is ALWAYS a USMC pilot. I wish they would put MARINES on
the side of #2 in the place of the NAVY markings.

The Fat Albert Crew is all USMC as noted above. What I wonder is if Fat
Albert ever passes gas to the Blues on long flights? Or the T-birds when
they go overseas, that would be a cool photo, a T-bird 16 on the boom.

Scott Sharkey

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

In article <57hreq$s...@lana.zippo.com>, les....@faa.dot.gov says...

>In article <E1JAw...@news.dfrc.nasa.gov>, Nick says...
>
>>The Blue Angels are a combined Navy and Marine Corps team. "Fat Albert"
belongs to the
>>Blues, but is marked with "MARINES" to symbolize the team effort.
>
>BTW, the latest Meteor Productions update lists Cutting Edge as coming out
with
>a 1:72 Fat Albert
>sheet. Don't know if it includes "Marines."
>
>BTW#2...What model C-130 *is* Fat Albert, anyway? Recommended kits?

My brother was the Navigator on Fat Albert for 3 years in 1990-93(?), during
which time they were flying the Blue/White one with 9806 on the tail (I think
that's a C-130F, but I'll ask him when I see him). Right after he left the
Blues, they turned in 9806 for a new plane. While waiting for the "new"
Albert, they flew a low-vis H model which had some paint work for the Angels.
Don't know if they have recently repainted that one to Blue/White, or if it's
still the low-viz gray. 9806 is now in the bone yard at Davis-Monthan, I
believe.

-Scott

Norman Filer

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

I am not sure that saying the BA Herky is marked with Marines because it
is a dual service team is entirely accurate. What Nick says is true, it
is a dual service team, but the suggestion that the Herk is marked
"Marines" as a courtesy is incorrect.

Fat Albert IS a Marine KC-130T (BuNo.149806). The Navy does not have
tanker Herks. This dual purpose bird makes life a whole lot easier for
the team. It provides en-route fuel as well as spares and a ride for the
support troops. Even occasionally provides a very spectacular RATO take
off demonstration of it's own.

I am probably one of the few who think the support birds make better
modeling subjects than the demonstration birds. In its original scheme
it was all white whith blue markings. However, that was a KC-130F BuNo.
150690, not the current bird. Also for at least one season it showed up
in the grey tactical scheme. It was so drab I didn't even bother to
photograph it. Now I wish I had.

James Corley

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

In <57hreq$s...@lana.zippo.com> les....@faa.dot.gov writes:

>BTW#2...What model C-130 *is* Fat Albert, anyway? Recommended kits?

KC-130F, but it is listed as a TC-130G.

Ken Koller

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

On 27 Nov 1996, Martin Sagara wrote:

> les....@faa.dot.gov wrote:
> : In article <E1JAw...@news.dfrc.nasa.gov>, Nick says...

> : >The Blue Angels are a combined Navy and Marine Corps team. "Fat Albert"
> : >belongs to the
> : >Blues, but is marked with "MARINES" to symbolize the team effort.

There are very few U.S. Navy C-130s, most are special mission aircraft,
LC-130s, EC-130s, DC-130s, etc. The Marine Corps are tasked with most of the
C-130 operations outside of the USAF. Fat Albert is a USMC aircraft, and
carries "United States Marines" on each side near the main landing gear
well. It carries an all marine flight crew. Unlike the F/A-18s used by
the Blues, the KC-130s, currently a KC-130T, used a Fat Albert are
standard fleet aircraft and are routinely rotated back to fleet sqaudrons
after the serve thier time as Fat Albert. There is also a large MARINES
on the lower left wing and upper right wing.

> : BTW, the latest Meteor Productions update lists Cutting Edge as coming out with a

> : 1:72 Fat Albert sheet. Don't know if it includes "Marines."
>

> : BTW#2...What model C-130 *is* Fat Albert, anyway? Recommended kits?

The original C-130 Fat Albert was a KC-130F, it is currently a KC-130T.
The decal sheet should have Marines decals, or else it will not be accurate.

> Testors used to sell the 1/72 Italeri C-130 in the Blue Angels scheme.
> I believe that Italeri still sells the kit with these markings. I
> can't recall exactly, but I think the Testors/Italeri kit is a C-130E.

Be carefull! The last I checked the Testors kit still included the old
style Blue Angels logo, with the A-4 silhouttes in the upper right hand
corner. To make it representative of the current Fat Albert, you're first
going to have to upgrade the kit to a KC-130T, I'm not sure what that
entails, I don't have any C-130 books that go past the H model, and
secondly you're going to have to either find a decal sheet that has the
F/A-18 silhouttes on the logo, or scan and print your own off of the
smaller logo included in the F/A-18 sheet.

I don't think the U.S. Navy flies/flew any straight E models, some of
thier Herks like the EC-130Q may have been modified E models.

Ken Koller

* Fire/Rescue/EMS Photography *
* http://www.islandnet.com/~waynej/Ken_Koller/fireline.html *
* kko...@adnetsol.com *
* *

* "The bubble-headed bleach blonde comes on at five *
* She can tell you about the plane crash with a gleam in her eye *
* It's interesting when people die *
* Give us dirty laundry." *
* -- Don Henly *

Ken Koller

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Norman Filer wrote:

> Fat Albert IS a Marine KC-130T (BuNo.149806). The Navy does not have
> tanker Herks. This dual purpose bird makes life a whole lot easier for
> the team. It provides en-route fuel as well as spares and a ride for the
> support troops. Even occasionally provides a very spectacular RATO take
> off demonstration of it's own.

I'd love to see a photo of a Blues a/c tanking off of Fat Albert.

> I am probably one of the few who think the support birds make better
> modeling subjects than the demonstration birds.

Like the T-birds' C-141? Kinda bland huh? I wish they would paint it
white.

Joe Hegedus

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

In article <Pine.BSD.3.91.961128...@adnetsol.adnetsol.com>, Ken says...

>I don't think the U.S. Navy flies/flew any straight E models, some of
>thier Herks like the EC-130Q may have been modified E models.
>
>Ken Koller

I am not sure if the Navy owns any Herky-birds at all now, or if they are all
USMC aircraft. But, I am quite certain that the Navy no longer operates the
EC-130Q, as these were all replaced by the Boeing E-6A "Mercury" several years
ago. Their East Coast alert facility is here at Pax, with the home base at Tinker
AFB, OK.

Also, careful with any of the C-130 kits out there, as I believe they all have the
early model nacelles ("A" model) that are a bit shorter than those of the "E"
models and later.

Joe

James Corley

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

In <57qleb$9...@lana.zippo.com> heg...@mail.ameritel.net (Joe Hegedus)
writes:

>In article
<Pine.BSD.3.91.961128...@adnetsol.adnetsol.com>, Ken
says...

>>I don't think the U.S. Navy flies/flew any straight E models, some of
>>thier Herks like the EC-130Q may have been modified E models.
>>
>>Ken Koller
>
>I am not sure if the Navy owns any Herky-birds at all now, or if they
>are all USMC aircraft. But, I am quite certain that the Navy no
>longer operates the EC-130Q, as these were all replaced by the Boeing
>E-6A "Mercury" several years ago. Their East Coast alert facility is
>here at Pax, with the home base at Tinker AFB, OK.

The USN still operates (last I knew) several C-130 variants in the
following units:
VR-22 "JL" C-130F, KC-130F
VXE-6 "XD" LC-130F, LC-130R
VR-48 "JR" C-130T
VR-54 "CW" C-130T
Blue Angels TC-130G

All of the EC-130Qs were supposed to convert to TC-130Qs, but only a
few (3? of 17) made the official change. My understanding is that the
EC-130Qs became, in effect, TC-130Qs when their equipment was taken for
installation in the E-6 airframes

>Also, careful with any of the C-130 kits out there, as I believe they
>all have the early model nacelles ("A" model) that are a bit shorter
>than those of the "E" models and later.

I was told by the local shopowner that the new AC-130U kit had fixed
taht problem AND corrected the windows of the flight deck, as well as a
few other areas. Too bad the Italeri J-bird is completely wrong, except
for a few USAF test variants, there won't be any "Short" Js, AFAIK, as
the USAF has chosen the -30 as the new standard!

John W. Alger

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

On Thu, 28 Nov 1996 16:45:29 -0800, Ken Koller
<kko...@adnetsol.adnetsol.com> wrote:

>I don't think the U.S. Navy flies/flew any straight E models, some of
>thier Herks like the EC-130Q may have been modified E models.

Ken, the EC-130Q was indeed a converted "E", and later (around 82) we
started getting birds based on the "H". This aircraft has now been
replaced by the E-6A "Mercury", which is a modified EC-135 with CFM-56
engines and all the TACAMO gear.

John Alger
CDR USNR
former VQ-3

Joe Hegedus

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

In article <57saua$9...@sjx-ixn9.ix.netcom.com>, jdco...@ix.netcom.com says...

>All of the EC-130Qs were supposed to convert to TC-130Qs, but only a
>few (3? of 17) made the official change. My understanding is that the
>EC-130Qs became, in effect, TC-130Qs when their equipment was taken for
>installation in the E-6 airframes

Could be. So, they are no longer EC-130Q's, or if there are they are parked out
in the desert. After the "Q"s were replaced, I lost track of where they were.

>>Also, careful with any of the C-130 kits out there, as I believe they
>>all have the early model nacelles ("A" model) that are a bit shorter
>>than those of the "E" models and later.
>>
>I was told by the local shopowner that the new AC-130U kit had fixed
>taht problem AND corrected the windows of the flight deck, as well as a
>few other areas. Too bad the Italeri J-bird is completely wrong, except
>for a few USAF test variants, there won't be any "Short" Js, AFAIK, as
>the USAF has chosen the -30 as the new standard!

Who makes the kit of the "U"?

Joe

Ken Koller

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

Yeah, I had the chance to go through the E-6 earlier this year. I can't
fathom how long the trailing antenna is.

Martin Sagara

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

I don't recall seeing anything in the thread about this so I'll post it anyway.

Golden Wings Decal produced a limited edition (2,000 copies) 1/72 sheet for
the Blue Angels C-130 back in 1983. It included markings for both the old
all-white and blue/yellow scheme. The tail numbers were 0690 for the white
scheme and 9806 for the blue/yellow scheme. The aircraft outlined in the
insignia are the A-4s. This sheet is probably unobtainable now but I thought
I'd mention it to make the discussion complete.

On a related note, Superscale (ex-Microscale) produced a 1/72 C-130 sheet (72-194)
that included markings for a 1975 C-130E Thunderbirds support aircraft. The aircraft
paint scheme is the standard three-tone Jungle camo with tail code LK and s/n 64-588

James Corley

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

In <32a1f69e...@news.usaor.net> jwa...@usaor.net (John W. Alger)
writes:

>On Thu, 28 Nov 1996 16:45:29 -0800, Ken Koller
><kko...@adnetsol.adnetsol.com> wrote:
>
>>I don't think the U.S. Navy flies/flew any straight E models, some of
>>thier Herks like the EC-130Q may have been modified E models.
>>
>Ken, the EC-130Q was indeed a converted "E", and later (around 82) we
>started getting birds based on the "H". This aircraft has now been
>replaced by the E-6A "Mercury", which is a modified EC-135 with CFM-56
>engines and all the TACAMO gear.
>
>John Alger
>CDR USNR
>former VQ-3

Not to doubt a former VQ-3 pilot, who flew the things, but IIRC the
EC-130Gs were "converted" C-130Es, while the Qs were "converted"
C-130Hs. I would prefer the term "Mission modified" rather than
"converted" as these a/c were new airframes with mission specific
equipment....I use converted to imply a change to an older, used
airframe.

James Corley

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

In <57t05l$m...@lana.zippo.com> heg...@mail.ameritel.net (Joe Hegedus)
writes:

>>I was told by the local shopowner that the new AC-130U kit ....

>Who makes the kit of the "U"?

AMT/Ertl

Steve Bridges

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

jdco...@ix.netcom.com(James Corley ) writes:

>I was told by the local shopowner that the new AC-130U kit had fixed
>taht problem AND corrected the windows of the flight deck, as well as a
>few other areas. Too bad the Italeri J-bird is completely wrong, except
>for a few USAF test variants, there won't be any "Short" Js, AFAIK, as
>the USAF has chosen the -30 as the new standard!

I have the AC-130U kit. While I haven't looked at the nacelles, all the
cockpit glass is now 1 piece, rather than just a windscreen and the
separate lower windows like the Testors/Italeri kit. Other than that, it
looks like almost the same molds as the Testors/Italeri kit.

Steve
--
Steve Bridges, Technology Conslt.| NCR Corporation
st...@law7.daytonoh.ncr.com | WorldWide Information Systems

Scott Sharkey

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

In article <329C89...@wport.com>, nfi...@wport.com says...

>I am not sure that saying the BA Herky is marked with Marines because it
>is a dual service team is entirely accurate. What Nick says is true, it
>is a dual service team, but the suggestion that the Herk is marked
>"Marines" as a courtesy is incorrect.
>
>Fat Albert IS a Marine KC-130T (BuNo.149806). The Navy does not have
>tanker Herks. This dual purpose bird makes life a whole lot easier for
>the team. It provides en-route fuel as well as spares and a ride for the
>support troops. Even occasionally provides a very spectacular RATO take
>off demonstration of it's own.

I asked my brother about this over the weekend.. he was FA's Nav in 86-88.
Fat Albert (9806) WAS a KC-130F - heavily modified -- so modified that my
brother said they spent months writing up the mods before they could turn it
back in to the fleet. I was wrong about the boneyard -- it went back to El
Toro. It is NOT equipped for air-air refueling, by the way. No room for gas
in the fuselage after all the spare parts, etc. My brother used to bitch
about the RATO shows because they had to unload everything for them, and that
took hours.

>I am probably one of the few who think the support birds make better

>modeling subjects than the demonstration birds. In its original scheme
>it was all white whith blue markings. However, that was a KC-130F BuNo.
>150690, not the current bird.

Correct! Also, I agree about the model!

>Also for at least one season it showed up
>in the grey tactical scheme. It was so drab I didn't even bother to
>photograph it. Now I wish I had.

They flew a "temporary loaner" while waiting for the new FA to appear. That
one had a tail marking of 791 and the name "Christine" in small letters near
the main door (named after the Steven King novel, because the a/c had a
reputation for "wierd" happenings in flight". It was gloss grey and white.
Later that season they switched to a drab tactical gray one, not sure of the
tail number. The NEW Fat Albert is a former Coast Guard H model, heavily
modified, and it's tail number is also 791, but not the same bird as the
loaner.

-Scott

Eduardo Mitchell

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

In article <steve.8...@law7.DaytonOH.NCR.COM>,
st...@law7.daytonoh.ncr.com says...
It sounds like the ESCI/AMT C-130 kit - nice sunk detail BUT HORRIBLE
nacelles (nothing like ANY variant that ever existed of the Hercules),
no-good props and to top it all, the one-piece cockpit windows which
STINK! for two reasons: A) The real Hercules has flat-panel windscreen,
the kit has them all follow the nose curve!! B) the shape of the above-
mentioned windcreen has NOTHING to do with the original...

Summa summarum: Italeri is still the best C-130 kit around - with easy to
correct defects (besides, only the Hercules buff might notice them) and
LOTS of wonderful aftermarket stuff.

Hate to cut up a kit like this - but forewarned is forearmed!

Cheers, Eduardo Mitchell (Gothenburg, SWEDEN)
--
"We should not allow a mine-shaft gap to develop!!!" Gen. Turgidson

James Corley

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

In <57v1g5$i...@coral.lanshark.com> ssha...@lanshark.com (Scott
Sharkey) writes:

>Later that season they switched to a drab tactical gray one, not sure
>of the tail number.

At one time, the triple-grey FA was TC-130G Bn151891. The TC-130G is an
EC-130G with all special equipment removed. This one, of course, was
modified to be FA. Dunno what happened to it, probably in the boneyard.
Not much use for TC-130Gs, except in the USMC RAG, VMGRT-253.

Scott Van Aken

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

>At one time, the triple-grey FA was TC-130G Bn151891. The TC-130G is an
>EC-130G with all special equipment removed. This one, of course, was
>modified to be FA. Dunno what happened to it, probably in the boneyard.
>Not much use for TC-130Gs, except in the USMC RAG, VMGRT-253.

I believe 151891 must have been a prototpe for 130 TACAMO as it was stationed
at Pax River for most of its life. VQ-3 also had the 1,500th Herc to be
built (I believe it was 161223). I was with the unit in the avionics vans
during its move from Guam to Hawaii. That fellow that mentioned the trailing
wire antenna would be surprised to hear that it was in excess of five miles
long to be a proper ground plane for VLF (Very Low Frequency) transmissions.
I frankly cannot imagine an E-6 being able to keep in a tight enough bank to
allow the antennas to properly align themselves.
As to the earlier post about the 130Q's, I do believe the Q birds were C-130H
airframes while the Gs were the 130E's. Both versions had uprated engines
required because of the strain of keeping the antennas properly positioned
without losing altitude. They also had no ramp mechanism and the ramps were
welded closed to hold the reel mechanism. It must have been quite a job to
get that reactivated after the transmitter was pulled out the aircraft.
Scott
Copyright Scott Van Aken, 1996
For Kit reviews and other airplane stuff, visit
http://members.aol.com/svanaken/index.htm
Now, back to reality, which is already in Progress
--Firesign Theater----

Martin Sagara

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

Martin Sagara (msa...@rainbow.rmii.com) wrote:
: I don't recall seeing anything in the thread about this so I'll post it anyway.

: Golden Wings Decal produced a limited edition (2,000 copies) 1/72 sheet for
: the Blue Angels C-130 back in 1983. It included markings for both the old
: all-white and blue/yellow scheme. The tail numbers were 0690 for the white
: scheme and 9806 for the blue/yellow scheme. The aircraft outlined in the
: insignia are the A-4s. This sheet is probably unobtainable now but I thought
: I'd mention it to make the discussion complete.

The latest Meteor Productions catalog update lists a Golden Wings Decal for
the Blue Angels C-130. I don't know if this is a reissue of the old sheet
or an updated one, but it is now availible again.

queen...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2020, 3:30:50 AM4/22/20
On Monday, November 25, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Jon B. Syvertsen wrote:
> I took a second look at the instructions and decals of the kit. It labels
> the Fat Albert as a MARINES aircraft! I thougt Blue Angels belonged to the
> NAVY? The aircraft on the box has a U.S.Navy yellow marking on top of the
> right wing. This is not in the kit.
>
> Am I totally out of my mind, or is it just the decals/kit/instructions
>
> Jon B. Syvertsen

queen...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2020, 3:31:47 AM4/22/20
its 2020

Mike Smith

Apr 28, 2020, 10:25:16 AM4/28/20
On Wednesday, 22 April 2020 08:31:47 UTC+1, queen...@gmail.com wrote:
> its 2020

The more things change . . .

Cheers

Mike

Ray S

Oct 14, 2020, 12:10:44 AM10/14/20
Caracal Decal has released an updated Fat Albert sheet with markings for the Skyhawk and Hornet teams for C-130. The Italeri kit and old superscale sheets only had the A-4 team markings.

Ray