Grrr. Humbrol Satin Clear on Tameo Rubber ++ungood.

1 view

ALLEN & SUE TREUHAFT

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
I have no idea on what to do about your current problem,
but I can make a suggestion for the future. I have been
first coating the Tameo rubber, in fact all tires - even resin,
with Testors Glosscote lacquer; applying the decals and
after drying coating with Testors Dullcote Lacquer. Try
doing a sidewall with one quick stroke of a wide brush.
This method has worked beautifully for years.

P.S. Aren't Tameo's newer kits fabulous?

Allen

Tom Davies <t...@smartchat.net.au> wrote in message
> Wanting to protect the decals on the tyre of a Tameo 1/43rd F1 kit, and
> unable to find Tamiya or Gunze Acrylic satin clear, I used Humbrol
> 'Super Enamel'. 24 hours later the tyre wall is still shiny and tacky.
>
> What should I do?
> a) wait for it to dry?
> b) try to clean it off? (although I assume it has affected the rubber)
> c) chalk it up to experience
>
> Who makes a good satin clear which is rubber and decal friendly?
>
> Thanks for any comments.
>
> Tom

Tom Davies

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99

DNSH

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
Tom,

I've used Testors Dullcote on all of my Tameo 1/43 tires with no problems. I
feel it gives a nice sheen. If you want it glossier, you could mix Glosscote
and Dullcote to get the sheen you want. BTW, if you need tires to replace the
bad ones, I may have what you need. Let me know.

Dan Hartz

Tom Davies

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
to DNSH
[cc'd via email]
Dan,
Thanks for the offer -- I'd only done one, and I managed to wipe it off
about 24 hours after I'd applied it by wiping firmly with a cloth --
didn't even lose the decals.
I'll try Testors Dullcote -- I don't want the tyres very glossy, in
fact I think I'll leave the contact area of the tyre in its post-600
grit sanded state. The decals do need to look more integrated though.

Tom

Tom Davies

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
ALLEN & SUE TREUHAFT wrote:

> I have no idea on what to do about your current problem,
> but I can make a suggestion for the future. I have been
> first coating the Tameo rubber, in fact all tires - even resin,
> with Testors Glosscote lacquer; applying the decals and
> after drying coating with Testors Dullcote Lacquer. Try
> doing a sidewall with one quick stroke of a wide brush.
> This method has worked beautifully for years.

Hi Allen,

Thanks for the tips. What's the reason for the initial Glosscote step?

> P.S. Aren't Tameo's newer kits fabulous?

I'm working on my first one, a 1995 Ligier (TMK 201). It seems pretty
good (although the shade of blue on the decals for the rear wing don't
seem to match the colour chip very well). I chose this kit because it
was on special and was recommended as a fairly simple kit for a first
attempt.

What's the difference between this and the newer Tameo kits?

Tom