Model Rocketry Laws in Mass.

downampney

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00
Does Massachusetts (or for that matter, any locality near Waltham) have
any goofy rules about model rockets? I'd like to take my kid's Alpha III
along when hie visits his buddy up there, and I have a Need To Know.

C. Wingate

Bill Spadafora

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00
On Sat, 03 Jun 2000 12:54:41 -0400, downampney <whi...@erols.com>
wrote:

Massachusetts follows NFPA 1122. Other than getting permission from
the property owner, you're in the clear.

Dave Pacheco

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
I don't know how close Waltham is to RI, but Rhode Island is
very....<<struggling to find the best appropriate word>>....strict
about it. My town (Cumberland) refused to let me launch (on town land,
anyway).

I told them I'd be launching a max of 1000 feet, and they said, "OK -
worst case scenario: it goes 1000 feet horizontally instead of
vertically and hits a building. No, sir, you can't do it."

<sigh>

Anyways, I'm sure your town is fine with it, but in Rhode Island you
need a permit from your local Fire Department (which I had BTW).
AFAIK, Massachusetts doesn't require this.

Sorry but I needed a place to vent ;-)

Enlightening us all on Sat, 03 Jun 2000 12:54:41 -0400, downampney
<whi...@erols.com> wrote:

>Does Massachusetts (or for that matter, any locality near Waltham) have
>any goofy rules about model rockets? I'd like to take my kid's Alpha III
>along when hie visits his buddy up there, and I have a Need To Know.
>
>C. Wingate

--David Pacheco
dp...@usa.net anythi...@modelrockets.8m.com
ICQ: 6568274 http://modelrockets.8m.com/
NAR#: 77711 G.Y.R.O. #135

Don't use the "From" address to reply. Use dp...@usa.net.

The problem with knowledge is that you don't need to be smart to have it.

Jon3854 II

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
Dave Pacheco wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't 1000 feet horizontally put the rocket
across state lines? :-)

John O'Donnell NAR 60742 L2 CSAR Sec #113

Dave Pacheco

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
Enlightening us all on 04 Jun 2000 05:16:43 GMT, jon3...@aol.com
(Jon3854 II) wrote:

>Dave Pacheco wrote:
>>I told them I'd be launching a max of 1000 feet, and they said, "OK -
>>worst case scenario: it goes 1000 feet horizontally instead of
>>vertically and hits a building. No, sir, you can't do it."
>

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't 1000 feet horizontally put the rocket
>across state lines? :-)

LoL! I know it was a joke, but it almost would be true because this
field is literally a stone's throw from my house, which is probably
close to 1000 feet of the line. Maybe I should use that in my defense:

Them: No, if it went that far that fast it could damage something
Me: Yes, but whatever it hit would be in MA so it's not your problem
anyways.

Nah, I don't think that would fly with them. ;-)

Beanboy

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
For what it is worth:

I've never asked permission to fly Estes stuff on public land here in MA. Why?
Mention rockets to a city or town official, and the answer would probably be
no, especially if one sounds young. Once about ten years ago, a cop asked me
to leave a multiuse field (empty) since neighbors across the field complained
and I left. I assume they must have had a bad experience with previous flyers.

Remember, this was just me with a couple of friends and one launch pad, flying
Estes stuff on Estes motors.

Latest run-in with a cop was when I walked into the construction area for a new
park last fall with rockets in tow. I asked if I could enter, dubious since
there was a big ol' no tresspassing sign at the time and heavy equipment parked
on the property, and he hesitated. He asked if they exploded and how the
neighbors might complain (although there isn't a private residence for about a
mile) and I gave him a quick lesson in electronic ignition and recovery
systems, and how the area is by far the best place to launch rockets. He let
us in =)

See the Millennium Park launch report for more info. on the soon-to-be 23 acres
of fields within the city limits of Boston.

-Beanboy

Beanboy

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00

Beanboy