O engine?

Jonathan Zalger Mr.

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
Has anybody ever tried an O engine? Is there any engine more
powerful?

Please give all thoughts.
Boris

-**** Posted from RemarQ, http://www.remarq.com/?a ****-
Search and Read Usenet Discussions in your Browser - FREE -

Tom Binford

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
"Jonathan Zalger Mr." wrote:

> Has anybody ever tried an O engine? Is there any engine more
>
> powerful?

The largest certified motor is an N. I have flown O motors, but this was
before the certification requirements were in place. They are awesome,
but at over $1000 per shot, it's not something I do often.
Tom

Thomas Engelhardt

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99

"Jonathan Zalger Mr." schrieb:

> Has anybody ever tried an O engine? Is there any engine more
>
> powerful?
>

> Please give all thoughts.
>
> Boris

An ad in HPR for rocket videos once said something about a rocket called
'Stratospheric Dreams' flying on an S motor with 320 lbs. of propellant.
Definitely the most powerful one I've heard of.

Thomas
TRA #7290

Shwheels

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99

>"Jonathan Zalger Mr." schrieb:
>
>> Has anybody ever tried an O engine? Is there any engine more
>>
>> powerful?
>>

>From: Thomas Engelhardt

>An ad in HPR for rocket videos once said something about a rocket called
>'Stratospheric Dreams' flying on an S motor with 320 lbs. of propellant.
>Definitely the most powerful one I've heard of.

It was also a spectacular CATO.

Tracy Hill

Thomas Engelhardt

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99

Shwheels schrieb:

Darn.
Is there any motor bigger than N (except the one from the OuR Motor team)
that didn't CATO ? Everything I read in HPR indicates that at the BALLS
launches, almost every second motor bigger than N or so CATOes...

Thomas
TRA #7290

Steve Bloom

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99

Thomas Engelhardt wrote in message
<3752F934...@stud.uni-goettingen.de>...

>Darn.
>Is there any motor bigger than N (except the one from the OuR Motor team)
>that didn't CATO ? Everything I read in HPR indicates that at the BALLS
>launches, almost every second motor bigger than N or so CATOes...
>
>Thomas
>TRA #7290

Thomas, The video sold by Ky Michelson of LDRS 18 has several launches of
"P" motors. There's at least 3 or 4 that don't blow up (none of them do).
I think it was at BALLS 8 which is on the same video. They use the "P"
motors to lob bowling balls.

Steve Bloom
Seattle Area Rocketeer
Skunkworks West
http://www.everett.net/users/bloomer/index.htm
For despaming: Remove the pluralizing letter from bloomers

Paul J

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
In article <7iv9i4$3r0$1...@eskinews.eskimo.com>, Steve Bloom
<bloo...@everett.net> writes

>>Darn.
>>Is there any motor bigger than N (except the one from the OuR Motor team)
>>that didn't CATO ? Everything I read in HPR indicates that at the BALLS
>>launches, almost every second motor bigger than N or so CATOes...
>>
>>Thomas
>>TRA #7290

The RRS built 'S' motors that didn't cato

>Thomas, The video sold by Ky Michelson of LDRS 18 has several launches of
>"P" motors. There's at least 3 or 4 that don't blow up (none of them do).
>I think it was at BALLS 8 which is on the same video. They use the "P"
>motors to lob bowling balls.

Yeah, I was there, the success rate for motors 'N' and above seems to be
going up to almost 100%. A few years ago almost every attempt to fly an
'N' or bigger ended in a cato...at BALLS 8 there were about three 'O's a
couple of 'N's and I think four 'P's and every one worked...well the
RocketDyne 'O' almost blew up on the pad...lets just say it had a 'Hard
start' than blew propellant chunks bigger than the nozzle throaght
through the nozzle throaght but carried on flying.

JJ and Rick Loehr (sp?) seem to be the pair that make all the 'P's for
BALLS...and they seem to have got it down to a fine art....

I'm having a 'P' made for BALLS 10 next year....with some special
propellant in it >:-)

Ooooooh..you people don't know what's coming :-)

WA HA HA HA!!!! (evil 'I'm going to take over the world' style laugh)

>Steve Bloom
>Seattle Area Rocketeer
>Skunkworks West
>http://www.everett.net/users/bloomer/index.htm
>For despaming: Remove the pluralizing letter from bloomers

Ben

----------
Ben Jarvis
----------

Technical Director C4 ltd
'Industrial Fire and Brimstone'

Tripoli cert level 3
UKRA cert level 2
MARS flight crew

Mark Clark

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
I have flown bowling balls with O and P ARM motors (Rick and JJ) they work
great, never had or heard of a CATO with one of these. If you need to put a
bowling ball to 25,000 feet + these are the motors for you.
Also for NS per $ big motors cannot be beat.
There ARM full P motors are to be used in a 3' diameter Mosquito being built
as a group project by Arizona high Power Rocketry Ass., Tripoli prefect 50.
The sound of a big motor igniting is unforgetable.
Mark Clark

Paul J

Jun 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/5/99
In article <1dY53.14780$4b.3...@news2.giganews.com>, Mark Clark
<mark...@starlink.com> writes

>I have flown bowling balls with O and P ARM motors (Rick and JJ) they work
>great, never had or heard of a CATO with one of these. If you need to put a
>bowling ball to 25,000 feet + these are the motors for you.
>Also for NS per $ big motors cannot be beat.
>There ARM full P motors are to be used in a 3' diameter Mosquito being built
>as a group project by Arizona high Power Rocketry Ass., Tripoli prefect 50.
>The sound of a big motor igniting is unforgetable.
>Mark Clark

Hey Mark, what's the score on the Jurasic Mosquito? Is there a planned
launch date yet?

Oh and I was gonna ask, your bowling ball rocket at BALLS last year, it
seemed incredibly short given the length of the motor, how long was that
motor and what was the total impulse...was it 55KNS?

Just interested as a potential future participant of said event (bowling
ball lofting that is :-)

Cheers

Ben

PS: Hopefully I'll remember to arm my timers :-)

--
Paul J

Mark Clark

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
The J. Mosq. project is actually starting to get moving again. Jim
Cornwell got married in may of last year and that put it on hold for a
while, and then the persons house that we were to work at broke a water line
in the attic! We were beginning to think that God was opposed to the
project. The panels that the body tube is made from (6) were done during
the first effort. The nose cone foam core is done and was coated with
something, an eternity of sanding is now in order. Right now the structural
design for the fins is the hold up, launch weight of 900 lbs. and all of it
will be on one fin when it lands. There is no date set, when it is done we
will fly it, JJ isn't going to make the motors until we have a real date,
don't want to store them. It will probably fly at the BALLS on whatever year
it is done, most launch organizers will whine about the 210,000 NS of power.
Ah the stubby P rocket! This thing had no empty space in it. From the
bottom, a boat tail 12" long, 60" of body tube, and 28" of nose cone, 100"
total. The motor, ~45k NS, is 5' long and 5" in dia. The bowling ball is
sitting on the top of the motor and in the nose cone! The main chute for
the ball, 28', is in a ogive shaped deployment bag in the cone.Parachute for
the booster, 15', is in the space between the ball and the thrust bulkhead
.Ejection charge is in the cone tip blowing every thing back with the nose
cone chute acting as the drogue for the main. All the space between the
motor mount tube and the body tube is foam filled with a cavity to hold the
Cambridge will it is being destroyed. The next on I build will be about 3-4
inches longer, the chutes have to be vacuumed into the deployment bags and
if they are removed at the launch site they won't go back in. Lift off
weight including ball, chutes, motor, 125 lbs.
If you want to build a bowling ball rocket contact me and I can tell you
what not to do.

Mark C

Chris Taylor

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
I would make it come down front first

THis way only the fronr of the rocket has to feel that much force and you
could strengthen that better than you could a fin

--
Trust me, you can e-mail me without mods :-)

Thanks
Chris
http://www.nerys.com/rocketry/
http://www.nerys.com/myjeep/

Mark Clark <mark...@starlink.com> wrote in message

epb...@icloud.com

Aug 9, 2020, 5:26:29 PM8/9/20
On Monday, May 31, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Shwheels wrote:

> >"Jonathan Zalger Mr." schrieb:
> >
> >> Has anybody ever tried an O engine? Is there any engine more
> >>
> >> powerful?
> >>

> >From: Thomas Engelhardt
>
> >An ad in HPR for rocket videos once said something about a rocket called
> >'Stratospheric Dreams' flying on an S motor with 320 lbs. of propellant.
> >Definitely the most powerful one I've heard of.
> >

> It was also a spectacular CATO.
>
> Tracy Hill

As a kid I had a DVD called LDRS and it had that rocket on it. Any idea how to find a copy of that?