X-15 Boost Glider...DON'T!

Dean C. Pilato

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

>>I fly 1/2 A through D and would love to have an X-15 boost glider. Does
>>anybody know of one? Or am I going to have to design one myself?

A true scale X-15 would be *very* difficult to make into a glider, due
to it's horrible wing aspect ratio. A true scale X-15 will glide *very*
fast and land *very* hard. You're either going to have to make the wings
much larger or find a better subject.

--
Dean Pilato
Email d_pi...@michsb.trw.com

Brett Buck

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

Subject: Re: X-15 Boost Glider...DON'T!
From: d_pi...@vssi.trw.com (Dean C. Pilato)
Date: 20 Sep 1996 17:21:31 GMT

As I mentioned, I made an X-15 a while back and while it wasn't a great
glider, it wasn't TERRIBLE to the point of saying "DON'T".
The performance was about the same as the Centuri Space Shuttle mother
ship, and better than the orbiter. It's just a matter of keeping it light,
and not expecting to soar like a sailplane. It was MUCH better than my
HL-10 Lifting body
Mine had a scale size wing and horizontal tail, but it had a flat fin
instead of the wedge on the original.

Brett