Whatever happened to Novus?

Essence

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
Does anyone know if Novus, maker of Saucer Tri-pack is still running a
business?

- Nick

--
Come visit Essence's Model Rocketry Reviews: http://fly.to/EMRR
Submit a rocket product review:

es-sence(es'uhns)- the basic, real, and invariable nature of a thing.

Mike Lee Kochel

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
Sorry, but after the initial wave of RMR buyers, no one else did much and I
just couldnt make any more. Besides, that Artcor stuff, which is very
important to my type of kits, is discontinued and harder to find.

Its not those saucers I really wanted you all to have, but rather Novus gliders
themselves and Marauders - all of which are makeable without glue too.

Am still sitting on enough stuff to make a lot of other stuff for this NG if
the interest ever surfaces. But....I *really* need those of you who got my
original kits to please fly them and post the results here. Any small kit
maker NEEDS word of mouth in a niche market such as this....just ask Rob or
Doug! Even negative responces are helpful as they enable the kitter to see
what hes doing wrong and correct it.

BTW, I still may make a 72" Deltie just for the heck of it.....

Dave Johnston

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99

>Mike Lee Kochel wrote ....

Hi there Mike,
I don't post much but read all. I make way more responses that end up in the recycle bin than actually get posted. In light of this
thread however, I do want to relay the following recent events.

I built your 24-40 saucer two weeks ago. It was your D-saucer design that got me gliding in the first place. I thermaled that one
away after a few flights. Still having the pod, it wasn't long until a clone was flying. I love that glider.

The 20" disc on the 24-40 is 'real cool', and the performance is unbelievable.

--Flight #1---- Sunday, Aug. 29, Edmonton, Alberta at the ERG 'Berkley farm' launch site -- 77º --- winds next to nil ----
I arrived early and was all set up by the time Dirk and Carter arrived. Their eyes were wide as they drove in. The 24-40 was sitting
on the launch pad ready to go. And this one is named. The pod's nose cone was a natural; a Spalding Star-Flite #3.
The 'Star-Flite 3' really boosted up nice on an E-30, to about 700'. Note the use of a single-use motor (chickened out with the RMS
remembering the saucer's little sister). The maiden flight was gorgeous with the arrow straight boost producing about three and half
rolls (not loops --- a nice slowww spin on its way straight up). It levelled out, arced over and popped its pod. The pod came down
quick enough on its 5x50 mylar streamer and the glider immediately levelled out and just hung there like on a string. I'm still
waiting for it to come down( just kidding). It did however put in a really impressive glide, circling around, descending and
circling. It did 'sense' the breeze as it was slowly making its way to a solitary grove of rocket eating trees. Sure enough,
Star-Flite 3 did a classic landing right on top of one of the trees. Dirk's sharp eye is responsible for the first recovery of SF3.
Well that and an axe.

--Flight #2---- as close as possible right behind #1 ( that is --- as long as it takes to stuff a streamer in and put together my
first RMS of the day)(no guts, no glory)
Set launch rod angle to -5º and 5-4-3-2-1 and an E-28 boost, this time arcing and rolling out towards 'safer' recovery. Oops, too
much arc (should have had only 2º offset from vertical). Pod came off at ejection, which wasn't at near the altitude of the first
launch, and it came straight down into an adjacent barley field. I took a bearing on it and continued to watch another magnificent
glide. It glided over 1/2 a mile making its final approach (oh, no) into the barley field. Carter had a good bearing on it and from
the edge guided me right to the landing site. The pod was recovered on a later foray into the barley field, in fact, Dirk made a hat
trick recovery, picking up three models (or parts thereof) in one fell swoop through the barley.

There was a bunch of great flying throughout that day, Greg, Dirk, Carter and myself burning a bunch of AP, with some awesome
flights by all, but for me, the apogee was reached with my Star-Flight 3.

Dave Johnston
CAR S382

Chris Taylor Jr.

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
Gliders

I WANT THEM I WANT THEM :-)

Do you have plans ? make up some nice plans put a price tag them and make
some money

I would buy them ! since I will take a glider anyway I can get it :-)

--

-----
Trust me you can Mail me without Mods

Chris
http://www.nerys.com/rocketry/
http://www.nerys.com/myjeep/
Dave Johnston <dav...@telusplanet.net> wrote in message

Jeffrey D. Gortatowsky

Sep 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/24/99
Now looky here Mike Lee Kochel aka AstronMike, I did about as much as
anyone could do to promote Novus Aerospace and the Novus-D and
Maxi-Maurader in particular here on RMR and on the net.

IIRC the one thing that held N.A. back was the lack of "kit polish". Not
that it bothered me, but it bothered some. AND the lack of a glitzy
online place to SEE the product.

If anyone want to SEE what Mike makes I can post pics of the Novus-D,
Maxi Maurader and Saucers (aka Flying Tortillas) to a.b.m.r.

Jeff "one of the first N.A. customers over a 1.5 years ago!" G.

Mike Lee Kochel wrote:
> original kits to please fly them and post the results here. Any small kit
> maker NEEDS word of mouth in a niche market such as this....just ask Rob or
> Doug! Even negative responces are helpful as they enable the kitter to see
> what hes doing wrong and correct it.

--
Jeff Gortatowsky

This message has been packed using modern automated machinery. Packed
by weight not volume, some settling of contents may have occurred during
shipment.
Email: mrro...@home.com or: http://members.aol.com/myhprcato
NAR: 70988 SR Ins. Level 2 TRA: 5678