SAd news, T&A Hobby Lobby in Burbank is shutting down

Reece Talley

Apr 29, 2006, 12:03:09 AM4/29/06

After what, 55 years at the same location, T&A Hobby Lobby is shutting its
doors for good. Tony, the owner is retiring. I don't have al the details but
for those of you who never visited this place, you dang sure missed one. One
look at the ceiling and all of the CL and RC models was amazing. he was a
big supporter of my school's rocket project each year. I could always count
on Tony to pass on building tips, advice and a huge discount to my kids.
Another B&M leaving us. Sad news indeed. Fred, did you know about this? I
know Tony always carried a supply of your egg lifters and other rockets. Do
you think I will be able to buy a few rockets directly from you?
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Fred Shecter

Apr 29, 2006, 6:01:02 PM4/29/06
Messages about this were posted on the SCRA YahooGroup a month ago as well
as the news that the rocket stuff was all gone.
I last saw Tony in January at the AMA Convention. He did not call me or
Martin to tell us about the closing.

The lack of "real" hobby shops is another reason I will not make kits
regularly anymore. I'll only make them by special order and with a *LOT* of
advanced notice and my OK.

I'll still sell parts mail order.
http://www.geocities.com/fredeshecter/prdctinf.pdf

Tony had a *LOT* of interesting customers over the years. Many TV and movie
stars as well as thousands of people who work in the entertainment industry.
I was in the store once when a TV star called him for R/C lessons. The
biggest hit on his business was Lockheed closing up and moving out of
Burbank. Also, Hobby People has a stoe right next to the flying field at
Sepulveda Basin and Gizmos Hobby opened up only a few blocks from his
location.

Pegasus is still there and much larger than ever since they moved into their
new building.
http://www.pegasushobbies.com/

--
-Fred Shecter
remove zorch two places to reply

Join the Revolution:
http://www.sirius.com

"Reece Talley" <om...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Fred Shecter

Apr 29, 2006, 6:03:38 PM4/29/06
Yes, I have some kits in stock at the moment even though I'm not making more
right now. E-mail me with waht you need and I'll let you know if I have them
in stock.

--
-Fred Shecter
remove zorch two places to reply
Current eBay auctions:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsassZshreadvector

Join the Revolution:
http://www.sirius.com

Kevin Trojanowski

Apr 29, 2006, 6:28:21 PM4/29/06
My wife read the subject over my shoulder as I was reading RMR, and
asked if it's really a hobby shop, or a porn shop....

-Kevin

Bob Kaplow

Apr 29, 2006, 9:00:05 PM4/29/06
In article <7MR4g.5937$8q.2138@dukeread08>, Kevin Trojanowski <tr...@excessbits.cox.net> writes:
> My wife read the subject over my shoulder as I was reading RMR, and
> asked if it's really a hobby shop, or a porn shop....

Don;'t know if it's at all connected, but several years at the RCHTA show,
there was a T&A exhibiting: Titanium and Aluminum. They made parts for RC
cars.

www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

All government programs have three things in common: a beginning, a muddle,
and no end.

Reece Talley

Apr 30, 2006, 12:09:59 AM4/30/06
Fred, I don't have your email. Please contact me at om...@comcast.net. I'm
going to need some kits for sure.

Alan Jones

Apr 30, 2006, 1:06:10 AM4/30/06

Did they sell the 36 Double D?

pratth...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2006, 2:26:48 PM4/30/06
Wow. That makes me feel old. I remember working with Tony on the indoor
RC flying exhibits at various hobby shows. He was very committed to
getting kids excited about modeling hobbies.

T&A stands for Tony and Addie, you clowns....Addie was Tony's mom and
partner in the business.

Doug Pratt
www.pratthobbies.com

Kevin Trojanowski

Apr 30, 2006, 5:08:16 PM4/30/06
pratth...@gmail.com wrote:

> T&A stands for Tony and Addie, you clowns....Addie was Tony's mom and
> partner in the business.

I assumed it was Trains & Automobiles, or Trains & Aircraft.

-Kevin

Fred Shecter

Apr 30, 2006, 6:43:54 PM4/30/06
Well, it's in my "reply to" (one you remove the "zorch" two places) and it's
also on my website that I provided a link to, but I will e-mail you directly
just for fun.

;)

--
-Fred Shecter
remove zorch two places to reply
Current eBay auctions:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsassZshreadvector

Join the Revolution:
http://www.sirius.com

"Reece Talley" <om...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Fred Shecter

Apr 30, 2006, 6:45:07 PM4/30/06
"Is" (I hope) since she was at the AMA show and looked as chipper as ever.

--
-Fred Shecter
remove zorch two places to reply
Current eBay auctions:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsassZshreadvector

Join the Revolution:
http://www.sirius.com

<pratth...@gmail.com> wrote in message

pratth...@gmail.com

May 1, 2006, 9:29:55 AM5/1/06
That's great! They made quite a team. It must have been hard for them
to decide to pack it in.

Makes me realize how out of touch I am with the model airplane world.
Leaving my job at the AMA and starting the rocket business 13 years ago
really cut me off from it.

I have some great memories of working trade shows and stuff, but I'm
happier in the rocket world. Planning for my Level 3, working with my
kids at Team America, firing hybrids...life is good.

Doug Pratt
www.pratthobbies.com

Andy Eng

May 1, 2006, 1:21:06 PM5/1/06
Reece,

Thanks for the news. Tony was a hoot and Addie something else too.
Always made it a point to swing by their shop when ever I was in the
area not so much for rockets but for glider info. He always took time
to show me a bunch about free flight gliders and it never really bugged
him that much that I was a rocket person... Last time I was there, he
did have some FSI F-100's in that cabinet of his and IIRC, he had a
nice Saturn V kit waaaay up there in the rafters. If you see them,
please pass along my regards from Houston.

Best,
Andy

Fred - Is that Captain fellow in Huntington Beach still in business?

Fred Shecter

May 1, 2006, 2:11:58 PM5/1/06
Captain Lou disappeared several years ago without a peep.

http://www.sirius.com/

"Andy Eng" <aeng...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Andy Eng

May 2, 2006, 1:52:00 AM5/2/06
Sigh... He was a one of a kind too...

Harry Nelson jr

Jan 29, 2019, 11:18:04 PM1/29/19
replying to Reece Talley, Harry Nelson jr wrote:
I was last In the t/a hobby shop wile I worked for Lockheed in Burbank CA in
the 1980s , I bought a b25 Mitchell medium bomber in Mexican colors. I have
yet to see another one ! A great place.

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/rockets/sad-news-t-a-hobby-lobby-in-burbank-is-shutting-down-81013-.htm

Harry Nelson jr

Jan 29, 2019, 11:18:06 PM1/29/19
replying to Fred Shecter, Harry Nelson jr wrote:
Hi do you happen to have a B45 tornado in 1/ 48 scale?

Brian Kreisler

Feb 24, 2020, 11:18:02 AM2/24/20
replying to Harry Nelson jr, Brian Kreisler wrote:
Use to go to T and A hobby lobby with my boys. Tony was always helpful, bought
many models there. Moved from Burbank and when I went back he had closed. I
bought my first high power rocket kit from him. Sure miss that place. Always
been heart broken I did not get to say good bye to him.