Solartex Fabric

Mike Berkau

Mar 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/15/97

Can anyone give me any recommendations on finishing Solartex fabric?
My wife found and surprised me with a 90% complete .28 sized Tiger
Moth for my birthday (is she great, or what?!) that is covered with
olive drab solartex. The instructions for the cloth are not with the
plane, and I seem to recall that solartex has to be clearcoated after
covering. Does the clearcoat have to be dope, or will polyurethane
work? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike Berkau (mike...@worldnet.att.net)

Ray Abadie

Mar 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/15/97

Mike,

You are correct, Solartex generally requires a clear overcoat for
dirt/fuel residue protection. I have used the "Perfect" line of
Polyuretahnes on it successfully. Their "Dead Flat Clear" is great on
scale weathered finishes (but it picks up fingerprint grease very
easily).

Good luck and have fun with the Tigee.

Regards,

Ray

Ken Baker

Mar 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/15/97

The following is taken from the directions on the sheet that comes with a roll
of Solartex:

Low heat ability so Solartex can be used on foam
Airtght and fuel proof when ironed in position
Fuel proof Resin Coating to protect faberic surfaces

No fuel proofing required under Solartex. Some fuel proofers applied over
solartex may cause the faberic to slaken and wrinkle. Do not use polyurethane or varnish
type proofers-they ar.e less fuel proof than the resin coating alredy on Solartex-it
does not adhere properly to the resin coated surface and may flake off after a time.

Finishing: SOLARTEX is completely fuelproof and air tight "as ironed-on".
Accumulation of dirt or fuel redidue can be removed by scrubbing with soapy water.Te
resin protecting the outer surface of the faberic is more fuel proof than any
fuelproofer available.

If anyone wishes to disagree don't yell at me but argue it out with the
manufacturer. The above came from their literature.

Ken Baker
Fredericton, N.B.

Richard Trost

Mar 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/15/97

Mike Berkau (mike...@worldnet.att.net) wrote:
: Can anyone give me any recommendations on finishing Solartex fabric?

Mike. I like to spray on a light coat of butyrate dope, etiher clear or
colored depending on whether you're happy with the Solartex color as is.
The dope shrinks as it dries, tightening up the fabric and makes it nearly
wrinkle proof. Solartex is really wonderful stuff to work with.

Regards, dick

-- ---

Dick Trost; rtr...@pacifier.com

Clay Howe

Mar 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/15/97

On Sat, 15 Mar 1997 05:26:49 GMT, mike...@worldnet.att.net (Mike
Berkau) wrote:

>Can anyone give me any recommendations on finishing Solartex fabric?

>My wife found and surprised me with a 90% complete .28 sized Tiger
>Moth for my birthday (is she great, or what?!) that is covered with
>olive drab solartex. The instructions for the cloth are not with the
>plane, and I seem to recall that solartex has to be clearcoated after
>covering. Does the clearcoat have to be dope, or will polyurethane
>work? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Mike Berkau (mike...@worldnet.att.net)

I've been flying a Senior Kadet that has solartex for over three
years, and never put anything on it... just plain solartex... but
this plane is electric powered, so maybe that might make a difference
as it isn't exposed to all that nasty, slimey stuff.

Bye, Clay

j. dolan

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97

Solartex Fabric
It does not have to be painted or fuel proofed, can be used as is.
If you want a good looking finish use Nitrate Dope for primer
coat then use Butrate for finish coat which will fuel proof.
The model you have is small and will fly much better if you
keep the weight down and painting will add weight. I think I
would fly it as is and skip the painting.

J.D.

Nigel Eaton

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97

In article <332a31a3...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>, Mike
Berkau <mike...@worldnet.att.net> writes

>Can anyone give me any recommendations on finishing Solartex fabric?
>My wife found and surprised me with a 90% complete .28 sized Tiger
>Moth for my birthday (is she great, or what?!) that is covered with
>olive drab solartex. The instructions for the cloth are not with the
>plane, and I seem to recall that solartex has to be clearcoated after
>covering. Does the clearcoat have to be dope, or will polyurethane
>work? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike,

I like your wife! *NEW* Solartex does not need further coating,
*OLD* Solartex does (which probably explains the contradictory
advice you'll receive....). I spoke to the guys who make this stuff a
while back and they told me that they changed the finish to avoid
having to use extra fuel proofer. As to how you tell which one you
have........

My only concern with your model is that a .28 Tiggie may be a bit
small, the extra weight of Solartex might take the edge off the flying
characteristics. I love 'tex but I think it is a bit heavy.

Hope you have fun with that Tiggie!

Nigel

--
Nigel Eaton
21st Century Programmers Do It With 4 Digits

Charles & Peggy Robinson

Mar 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/18/97

I've refrained so far but I'm gonna put in my 2 cents.

I've painted Solartex with Black Baron epoxy paint, Rustoleum enamels,
Red Devil enamels and several kinds of clear polyurethanes. All worked
well. Solartex will pick up grime that gets into the weave if not
clear-coated, Someone on this NG said to use oven cleaner to get black
exhaust residue off. I tried it but it didn't work.

I'm covering a 4-120 bipe right now; it will get a clear poly-u coat
once the decals are on it.
FWIW,
CR

John Hinze

Mar 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/18/97

Mike Berkau wrote:

> Can anyone give me any recommendations on finishing Solartex fabric?
> My wife found and surprised me with a 90% complete .28 sized Tiger
> Moth for my birthday (is she great, or what?!) that is covered with
> olive drab solartex. The instructions for the cloth are not with the
> plane, and I seem to recall that solartex has to be clearcoated after
> covering. Does the clearcoat have to be dope, or will polyurethane
> work? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike Berkau (mike...@worldnet.att.net)

Mike:
I used the same Solartex material this winter to cover a Goldberg
Anniversary Cub in the L-4 Military scheme. I had to reduce the iron
heat to 220 degrees F to keep from scorching, then tighened with the
heat gun.
As was suggested by several other Solartex experienced modelers in my
club I used Coverite Clear Flat epoxy to put on a light seal coat. The
fabrics texture pockets fuel residue and stains without it.
The material was very easy to use,seams are not obvious and the fabric
looks very realistic. I think you will be pleased if you take your time
during application.
Good Luck,
John Hinze

Steve Griffiths

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97

Clay Howe wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Mar 1997 05:26:49 GMT, mike...@worldnet.att.net (Mike
> Berkau) wrote:
>
> >Can anyone give me any recommendations on finishing Solartex fabric?
> >My wife found and surprised me with a 90% complete .28 sized Tiger
> >Moth for my birthday (is she great, or what?!) that is covered with
> >olive drab solartex. The instructions for the cloth are not with the
> >plane, and I seem to recall that solartex has to be clearcoated after
> >covering. Does the clearcoat have to be dope, or will polyurethane
> >work? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Mike Berkau (mike...@worldnet.att.net)
>
> I've been flying a Senior Kadet that has solartex for over three
> years, and never put anything on it... just plain solartex... but
> this plane is electric powered, so maybe that might make a difference
> as it isn't exposed to all that nasty, slimey stuff.
>
> Bye, Clay

You might not be aware that in UK there is a pre-finished version of
Solartex called "Glosstex". This is ready-coated with some form of
varnish or resin, which is not affected by the heat of application. I
believe it is proof to most fuels but you should check with the
manufacturer if it is important to you.