Airbrushing With Oxygen

TOM

May 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/1/99
Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

Jonathan O'Connor

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
CO2 has got to be cheaper due to its use in soda fountains.
Also, any bottled gas will be completely dry.
Other than that, there should be no chemical effect or lack of one.
JO'C

Skydvr57

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99

>Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
>bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?

DONT use Oxygen. Thats a good way to die.
Never, Never use it. Oxygen and Oil do not mix. You dont even need a spark to
cause an explosion. My advise is stay with the compressed AIR!!!!

AJ Kleipass

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99

< JOKE >
How about using LPG or natural gas? If you keep the windows tightly shut
with a few scented candles burning you shouldn't have any problems with the
paint. One extra bonus to this is that, if your building a brass model, the
airbrush can double as a blow torch. :o)
< / JOKE >

A.J. Kleipass owin...@mindspring.com
How long ago a flag fell will not matter so long as there are railfans and
modelers to pick it up again and hand it off to the next generation.

TOM wrote in message <372BD215...@funtv.com>...

>Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
>bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?
>

><><><> TOM <><><>
>-----------------

john a dalton

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
TOM <tom...@funtv.com> wrote:

>Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
>bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?
>
><><><> TOM <><><>
>-----------------

...no, as long as there is no moisture in either...a water trap is
vital, unless you're in Laughlin, Nevada... :))

...btw, oxygen is very "dry" and highly "explosive"...i was joking
about using my oxygen generator for airbrushing...it was a "Sweetie"
thing, something else she was supposed to have caught me doing... :))

...big john... :))

MEAT7

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
>Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
>bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?
>
><><><> TOM <><><>

First of all, Oxygen is not inert. When used with acrylics, there shouldn't be
a problem, but when used with flammable paints, it could be problematic. Where
the solvents in those paints pose an explosion hazard in an enclosed space with
prolonged painting, they will displace the oxygen, reducing this hazard (but
increasing the exposure hazard). The local concentrations can be cured with
proper ventilation, but with gases other then air. The air circulation matters
become more critical, and more complicated with non-air gases.
Using oxygen to airbrush, means that you won't be displacing the oxygen, but
maintaining, or increasing it's concentration. Making for a potentially more
combustable mixture.
Venting and air circulation will easily prevent this.

Other gases:
Hydrogen. This is one to deninately avoid, highly explosive, and you would
need ~$1000 worth of stainless steel components to use it.
Nitrogen or Helium. Both of these are good options if using paints that aren't
sesnitive to moisture. They don't transport much water at all. Of course this
isn't much of an issue if you are using acrylics. But again, the problem of
displacing the oxygen in the local enviroment is an issue. Althought neither
is flammable.
Don't even think about chlorine...it will make you vomit for a while, before
you die.
Nitrous oxide will give you a good buzz, but is flammable (as used in 'nitrous
systems' in muscle car drag racing).
Any other gasses will probably be too expensive to consider.

Canned gas (I'm talking about cylinders, not those cans put out by Badger) does
have an advantage over using a compressor. The tanks don't make any noise for
one. And they also produce a very even pressure when regulated properly.
But when using canned gas, make sure that the Cyl. is secured properly. An
insecure K cyl. can fall over, break the vavle stem, and turn into a torpedo,
capable of punching a hole thru 6 feet of concrete.
The 'cans' can be refilled for about $12 (I think, depending on the gas, and
quality, althought I remember Helium 99.9999% being suprisingly cheap, for
now). The cyl. cost ~$50. The big exspence comes in getting the gas out of
the cyl. A good two stage regulator, brass, will run you about $400, stainless
steel is about `$700. And you may want to go to three stages to regulate the
pressure down to the ~15 psi for airbrushing (K cyls hold 2200 psi). Wall
mounted cyl brackets, and the equipment to handle the cyl properly will add to
this, depending on the cyl size. If you are using an air cyl, moisture and
hydrocarbon (oil) traps will be needed. The cost will vary depending on the
deree that you want to clean the air.

I hope that answers your question.

-Scott-

Michael Usoff

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99

TOM wrote:

> Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
> bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?
>
> <><><> TOM <><><>

> -----------------

You can always take a snort!! Get oxygenated!! :>)) Mike U.

Roe Thomas

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
to AJ Kleipass

AJ Kleipass wrote:

> < JOKE >
> How about using LPG or natural gas? If you keep the windows tightly shut
> with a few scented candles burning you shouldn't have any problems with the
> paint. One extra bonus to this is that, if your building a brass model, the
> airbrush can double as a blow torch. :o)
> < / JOKE >
>
> A.J. Kleipass owin...@mindspring.com

> Any one posting this in jest or not, I would like that person to try first. Roe From "The Great Land".

David A. Moss

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
Greetings from upstate New York;

As a Fire Marshal for a local volunteer fire department, I can make
a strong argument AGAINST using Oxygen as a propellant for any air
brushing operation!! It is flammable, and extremely dangerous to mix
with any oils or other foreign substances. Also how would you propose
to keep this container from possibly tipping over, knocking off the
valve assembly and instantly turning itself into a rocket that would
probably destroy your home as well as several of your neighbors. A
substitute would be a small air compressor with a storage tank. And a
whole lot safer :-)

Train Man

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
My uncle in Ca. used to be the kind of airbrush artist that painted
murals vans, t-shirts, and whatever else someone wanted painted. He used
CO2 when ever he needed to do something quick and didn't want to haul a
compressor. I would reccomend that over Oxygen simply because of the
possible explosion factor...

Jeff

TOM

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
AJ Kleipass wrote:

> < JOKE >
> How about using LPG or natural gas? If you keep the windows tightly shut
> with a few scented candles burning you shouldn't have any problems with the
> paint. One extra bonus to this is that, if your building a brass model, the
> airbrush can double as a blow torch. :o)
> < / JOKE >
>
> A.J. Kleipass owin...@mindspring.com
> How long ago a flag fell will not matter so long as there are railfans and
> modelers to pick it up again and hand it off to the next generation.
>
> TOM wrote in message <372BD215...@funtv.com>...
> >Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
> >bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?
> >
> ><><><> TOM <><><>
> >-----------------

Then you wouldn't have to use the wife's oven to cure the paint... :>))

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

TOM

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
john a dalton wrote:

> TOM <tom...@funtv.com> wrote:
>
> >Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
> >bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?
> >
> ><><><> TOM <><><>
> >-----------------
>
> ...no, as long as there is no moisture in either...a water trap is
> vital, unless you're in Laughlin, Nevada... :))
>
> ...btw, oxygen is very "dry" and highly "explosive"...i was joking
> about using my oxygen generator for airbrushing...it was a "Sweetie"
> thing, something else she was supposed to have caught me doing... :))
>
> ...big john... :))

Thanks a lot!!! I have all this tubing and valves from the hospital and
thought I could put it to use... Oh well, in th the collectible box it
goes... :>))

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

TOM

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
Michael Usoff wrote:

> TOM wrote:
>
> > Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
> > bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?
> >
> > <><><> TOM <><><>
> > -----------------
>
> You can always take a snort!! Get oxygenated!! :>)) Mike U.

Farm out... Man!

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

Hytekhik

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
> As a Fire Marshal for a local volunteer fire department, I can make
>a strong argument AGAINST using Oxygen as a propellant for any air
>brushing operation!! It is flammable, and extremely dangerous to mix
>with any oils or other foreign substances.

Jeez, you Yanks must use a different kind of Oxygen then we do down here. Our
oxygen supports combustion but is definitely NOT flammable....As a Fire
Marshall, you should be a little more familiar with the characteristics of what
you are using before you post something like that. Just my $0.02 worth.
Interactive Computer-based Personal Proficiency Training Software
Interactive Commercial/Industrial Safety Training Software
Sooner Information Systems, Ltd. http://www.sis-ltd.com/

Skydvr57

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99

>Jeez, you Yanks must use a different kind of Oxygen then we do down here. Our
>oxygen supports combustion but is definitely NOT flammable....As a Fire
>Marshall, you should be a little more familiar with the characteristics of
>what
>you are using before you post something like that. Just my $0.02 worth.
>Interactive Computer-based Personal Proficiency Training Software
>Interactive Commercial/Industrial Safety Training Software
>Sooner Information

Your right there, its not flammable! But it will support combustion. I have
seen things vaporize in front of your eyes, without a flame. It will also
create a flame of 3000 degrees. Stick to air, you might live longer, as well as
your neighborhood.
Scott

Charles F Seyferlich

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
TOM wrote:

> AJ Kleipass wrote:
> >
> > < JOKE >
> > How about using LPG or natural gas? If you keep the windows tightly shut
> > with a few scented candles burning you shouldn't have any problems with the
> > paint. One extra bonus to this is that, if your building a brass model, the
> > airbrush can double as a blow torch. :o)
> > < / JOKE >
> >
> > A.J. Kleipass owin...@mindspring.com
> > How long ago a flag fell will not matter so long as there are railfans and
> > modelers to pick it up again and hand it off to the next generation.
> >
> > TOM wrote in message <372BD215...@funtv.com>...
> > >Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
> > >bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?
> > >
> > ><><><> TOM <><><>
> > >-----------------
>
> Then you wouldn't have to use the wife's oven to cure the paint... :>))
>
> <><><> TOM <><><>
> -----------------

I use a tank of Acetylene as airbrush propelent. I paint, bake the paint
and barbecue dinner all in one step.

TOM

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99

Whoa, good idea!

Kids (and adults), don't try this at home... :>))

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

Stephen C. Morgan

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99

TOM <tom...@funtv.com> wrote in message news:372C6CA8...@funtv.com...

> john a dalton wrote:
> >
> > TOM <tom...@funtv.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
> > >bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?
> > >
> > ><><><> TOM <><><>
> > >-----------------
> >
> > ...no, as long as there is no moisture in either...a water trap is
> > vital, unless you're in Laughlin, Nevada... :))
> >
> > ...btw, oxygen is very "dry" and highly "explosive"...i was joking
> > about using my oxygen generator for airbrushing...it was a "Sweetie"
> > thing, something else she was supposed to have caught me doing... :))
> >
> > ...big john... :))
>
> Thanks a lot!!! I have all this tubing and valves from the hospital and
> thought I could put it to use... Oh well, in th the collectible box it
> goes... :>))
>
> <><><> TOM <><><>
> -----------------
Nothing wrong with using the tubing and valves.
Morgan

David A. McConnell

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
Hi TOM,

You could always try Nitrous Oxide.

Life is too important to be taken seriously

Remove xyzzy in E-Mail
(You're at the end of the road again)

TOM

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99

With a portable "power" bottle in a backpack, think how artistic the
taggers could be... Forget that spraycan stuff, they could use the real
thing... :>))

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

C.L.Zeni

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
Charles F Seyferlich wrote:

> TOM wrote:
> >
> > AJ Kleipass wrote:
> > >
> > > < JOKE >
> > > How about using LPG or natural gas? If you keep the windows tightly shut
> > > with a few scented candles burning you shouldn't have any problems with the
> > > paint. One extra bonus to this is that, if your building a brass model, the
> > > airbrush can double as a blow torch. :o)
> > > < / JOKE >
> > >
> > > A.J. Kleipass owin...@mindspring.com
> > > How long ago a flag fell will not matter so long as there are railfans and
> > > modelers to pick it up again and hand it off to the next generation.

> > Then you wouldn't have to use the wife's oven to cure the paint... :>))
> >
> > <><><> TOM <><><>
> > -----------------
>
> I use a tank of Acetylene as airbrush propelent. I paint, bake the paint
> and barbecue dinner all in one step.

And performs Urban Renewal of his neighborhood, too!
--
Craig Zeni - REPLY TO -->> clzeni at mindspring dot com

http://www.mindspring.com/~clzeni/index.html

Keep off the grass. Or at least don't inhale.

David Thuss

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
Jonathan O'Connor wrote:

Other than compressed air, compressed Nitrogen is your best choice.
It's dry, safe, and cost is relatively low.

--
Dave

It's all an illusion! (Henning)

TOM

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99

Don't they use nitrogen in passenger and military aircraft tires because
it doesn't change pressure with temperature?

I believe that NASCAR uses it in their tires for the same reason.

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

TOM

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
C.L.Zeni wrote:

Snips

> > I use a tank of Acetylene as airbrush propelent. I paint, bake the paint
> > and barbecue dinner all in one step.
>
> And performs Urban Renewal of his neighborhood, too!
> --
> Craig Zeni - REPLY TO -->> clzeni at mindspring dot com
>
> http://www.mindspring.com/~clzeni/index.html

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood,
A beautiful day for a...

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

patchell

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99

TOM wrote:>

> Don't they use nitrogen in passenger and military aircraft tires because
> it doesn't change pressure with temperature?
>
> I believe that NASCAR uses it in their tires for the same reason.
>
> <><><> TOM <><><>
> -----------------

Nope, PV=nRT applies to all gasses.

Visit:http://www.silcom.com/~patchell/

C.L.Zeni

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99

explosion that leveled Mr. Roger's house and his collection of clothing
from Frederick's of Hollywood. Would you kaboom mine?

Oh, did I say something wrong?

--
Craig Zeni - REPLY TO -->> clzeni at mindspring dot com

http://www.mindspring.com/~clzeni/index.html

Keep off the grass. Or at least don't inhale.

Joe Ellis

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
In article <372CE751...@funtv.com>, TOM <tom...@funtv.com> wrote:

> David Thuss wrote:
> >
> > Jonathan O'Connor wrote:
> >
> > > CO2 has got to be cheaper due to its use in soda fountains.
> > > Also, any bottled gas will be completely dry.
> > > Other than that, there should be no chemical effect or lack of one.
> > > JO'C
> >
> > Other than compressed air, compressed Nitrogen is your best choice.
> > It's dry, safe, and cost is relatively low.
> >
> > --
> > Dave
> >
> > It's all an illusion! (Henning)
>

> Don't they use nitrogen in passenger and military aircraft tires because
> it doesn't change pressure with temperature?
>
> I believe that NASCAR uses it in their tires for the same reason.
>
> <><><> TOM <><><>
> -----------------

Say WHAT?? If you've got a gas that can ignore the laws of thermodynamics,
I'm sure a LOT of folks would be interested.

OK, let's look at some things here, folks. There are a lot of gasses you
SHOULDN'T use, and a lot of reasons.

1) Oxygen: No, it's not flammable itself... but it IS an oxidizer (gee,
wonder where that word came from?) In high enough concentrations, some
exposed substances can visibly deteriorate, or burst into flame at lower
than normal temperatures. Substances that you would not normally consider
dangerous become EXTREMELY flammable in a high-oxygen atmosphere. (Anyone
_else_ around here remember Apollo One?)

2) Carbon Dioxide: Use only with adequate ventilation. Concentrations just
marginally above normal atmospheric levels can be mind-numbing... and even
fatal. Chemically inert, does not support combustion, and otherwise
harmless... unless levels are high enough to inhibit transfer of CO2 from
the lungs.

3) Nitrogen: Probably your best choice for a pure gas. Inert, safe, and
found in high enough levels in air that even use in an unventilated space
would probably not be dangerous... FROM THE STANDPOINT OF THE PROPELLANT.
The paint itself, however, is another story.

4) Helium: Readily available, inert, and harmless. Used in deep-diving
mixes to inhibit the bends (Nitrogen Narcosis). Of course, there is the
_wee_ problem of sounding like Donald Duck when you go to answer the
phone.

5) So what's wrong with air? Gas mix is right, it's cheaper to put a water
trap in the line than it is to rig all the special equipment for some of
this other stuff... and you can buy a tank cheap, and just run the
compressor to charge it when necessary.

--
Joe Ellis - The Synthetic Filker | _/_/_/_/_/_/_/
| _/ _/
TesserAct Studios | _/_/_/_/_/_/
365 Palm Springs Dr #106 | _/ _/ _/
Altamonte Springs, FL 32701 | _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/

TOM

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
patchell wrote:

> TOM wrote:>
>

> > Don't they use nitrogen in passenger and military aircraft tires because
> > it doesn't change pressure with temperature?
> >
> > I believe that NASCAR uses it in their tires for the same reason.
> >
> > <><><> TOM <><><>
> > -----------------
>
> Nope, PV=nRT applies to all gasses.

> Visit:http://www.silcom.com/~patchell/

What part of nope don't I understand?

Common English please... Some of us aren't as smart as you are.

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

TOM

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
patchell wrote:

> TOM wrote:>
>

> > Don't they use nitrogen in passenger and military aircraft tires because
> > it doesn't change pressure with temperature?
> >
> > I believe that NASCAR uses it in their tires for the same reason.
> >
> > <><><> TOM <><><>
> > -----------------
>
> Nope, PV=nRT applies to all gasses.

> Visit:http://www.silcom.com/~patchell/

Found this on an airliner newsgroup:

The FAA has required 100% nitrogen to be used in large aircraft tires
since about 1974. This was not a worldwide rule due to FAA lack of
authority.

Did a search here:

http://www.nascar.com/

They use it too... Luckily, some memories don't fade... As fast... :<((

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

Michael Usoff

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99

David A. Moss wrote:

> Greetings from upstate New York;
>

> As a Fire Marshal for a local volunteer fire department, I can make
> a strong argument AGAINST using Oxygen as a propellant for any air
> brushing operation!! It is flammable, and extremely dangerous to mix

> with any oils or other foreign substances. Also how would you propose
> to keep this container from possibly tipping over, knocking off the
> valve assembly and instantly turning itself into a rocket that would
> probably destroy your home as well as several of your neighbors. A
> substitute would be a small air compressor with a storage tank. And a
> whole lot safer :-)
>
> TOM wrote:
>

> > Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
> > bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?
> >
> > <><><> TOM <><><>
> > -----------------

I think, Tom was refering to small bottles of oxygen, not commercial
bottles. While oxygen is an aid to combustion, in and of itself, it is not
flammable without some supporting fuel. Large welding size tanks of oxygen
can be very dangerous, when the fitting is broken suddenly on a full
bottle, they contain pressures that can shoot it around like a rocket, even
punching holes in concrete block walls. Mike U.

Hudson Leighton

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99

> 5) So what's wrong with air? Gas mix is right, it's cheaper to put a water
> trap in the line than it is to rig all the special equipment for some of
> this other stuff... and you can buy a tank cheap, and just run the
> compressor to charge it when necessary.
>
> --
> Joe Ellis - The Synthetic Filker | _/_/_/_/_/_/_/
> | _/ _/

Well for one thing using C02 or Nitrogen is nice and QUITE!!!!!
no compressor grinding away in the corner, no oil or water in the
supply line.

Just open the valve, set the regulator, and away you go.

My last 20lbs of CO2 cost $6, which is the minumim charge at the
welding supply co. I use.

Also you would be amazed how long paint lasts with a nitrogen "head"
in the bottle.

--
http://www.skypoint.com/~hudsonl

Jason Davies

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
In article <372BD215...@funtv.com>, TOM <tom...@funtv.com> wrote:

> Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
> bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?
>
> <><><> TOM <><><>
> -----------------

NO!!!! Oxygen is extremely ert.

--
Jason Davies
Master Gizmologist

Donald Kinney

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99

TOM <tom...@funtv.com> wrote in message
> David Thuss wrote:
> > Jonathan O'Connor wrote:
> > > CO2 has got to be cheaper due to its use in soda fountains.
> > > Also, any bottled gas will be completely dry.
> > > Other than that, there should be no chemical effect or lack of one.
> > > JO'C
> > Other than compressed air, compressed Nitrogen is your best choice.
> > It's dry, safe, and cost is relatively low.
> > Dave

> Don't they use nitrogen in passenger and military aircraft tires because
> it doesn't change pressure with temperature?
>
> I believe that NASCAR uses it in their tires for the same reason.
>
> <><><> TOM <><><>
If they do it is because nitrogen will not freeze thus preventing ice
building up in the tires because of the lack of moisture.

Donald

Martin F. O'Rourke

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
Oxy is NOT inert. In the wrong hands it is extremely dangerous. Call
it Explosive or otherwise BOOM if conditions are right. Almost
everything burns around it, watch a flame welder sometime. Even
breathing it can be hazardous to your health. No joke.

Donald Kinney

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99

john a dalton <jape...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> patchell <patc...@teletrac.com> wrote:

> >TOM wrote:>
> >>
> >> Don't they use nitrogen in passenger and military aircraft tires
because
> >> it doesn't change pressure with temperature?
> >>
> >> I believe that NASCAR uses it in their tires for the same reason.
> >>
> >> <><><> TOM <><><>
> >> -----------------
> >
> > Nope, PV=nRT applies to all gasses.
>

> ...that's the sound it makes when you puncture a tire...
>
> ..."PV=nRT'fttttttttt....PV=nPRT'ftftftftft....flop flop flop flop...
>
> ...then you call your insurance agent and find out if you're covered
> or not...
>
> ..."covered for what?"..."a flat tire, sir"..."are you kidding
> me?"..."no, sir, it says here on the card to not move the car unless
> you call youir agent first"...that's for accidents"..."oh, in't a flat
> tire an accident?"..."no, son, it's not...an accident is a sudden and
> violent damage to the car"..."well, this flat tire was sudden and
> violent...it went PV=nRT'fttttttttt....PV=nPRT'ftftftftft....flop flop
> flop flop"..."hey, that was pretty good, son...do it
> again"...""PV=nRT'fttttttttt....PV=nPRT'ftftftftft....flop flop flop
> flop"..."want to be in a local commercial?"... :))
>
> ...big john... :))
Heard in the background: Crash!! "Yes sir, that was my car making that
other noise"...."Yes, sir, I left it in the middle of the street as the card
said not to move it"...."You'll be right out.."""

Donald

TOM

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
Donald Kinney wrote:

> TOM <tom...@funtv.com> wrote in message
> > David Thuss wrote:
> > > Other than compressed air, compressed Nitrogen is your best choice.
> > > It's dry, safe, and cost is relatively low.
> > > Dave
> > Don't they use nitrogen in passenger and military aircraft tires because
> > it doesn't change pressure with temperature?
> >
> > I believe that NASCAR uses it in their tires for the same reason.
> >
> > <><><> TOM <><><>
> If they do it is because nitrogen will not freeze thus preventing ice
> building up in the tires because of the lack of moisture.
>
> Donald

And it won't support combustion... A foreign 747 was knocked out of the
sky several years because of this... They had a severely dragging brake
which continued to heat the tire after raising the gear... when the tire
burned through, the 100++ PSI blast of air created a blow torch
effect... That comes from a NTSB site... Nitrogen is now required on all
commercial aircraft tires, world-wide...

Helium was suggested. While lighter, it is many times more expensive
than nitrogen and the weight savings probably isn't worth the expense!

Pretty neat, the stuff you can find by doing a search on the Internet!

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

TOM

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
Jason Davies wrote:

> In article <372BD215...@funtv.com>, TOM <tom...@funtv.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
> > bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?
> >
> > <><><> TOM <><><>
> > -----------------
>
> NO!!!! Oxygen is extremely ert.
>
> --
> Jason Davies
> Master Gizmologist
> Cream City Traction Club
> HTTP://www.execpc.com/~jdavies/cct.html

Reminds me of the sign: Be Alert... The world needs more lerts... :>))

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

BLowell632

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
>Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
>bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?
>
><><><> TOM <><><>
>-----------------

Tom, some people use CO2 or nitrogen with a suitable regulator instead of a
compressor. I haven't seen anyone do this for some time since compressors got
smaller, cheaper and quieter. Oxygen? Never heard of that being used to spray.
I would think oxygen plus solvent paint fumes=boom. I don't think I'd try it.

john a dalton

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
patchell <patc...@teletrac.com> wrote:

>TOM wrote:>
>>
>> Don't they use nitrogen in passenger and military aircraft tires because
>> it doesn't change pressure with temperature?
>>
>> I believe that NASCAR uses it in their tires for the same reason.
>>
>> <><><> TOM <><><>

da...@erinet.com

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
>> > CO2 has got to be cheaper due to its use in soda fountains.
>> > Also, any bottled gas will be completely dry.
>> > Other than that, there should be no chemical effect or lack of one.

>> Other than compressed air, compressed Nitrogen is your best choice.
>> It's dry, safe, and cost is relatively low.

>Don't they use nitrogen in passenger and military aircraft tires because
>it doesn't change pressure with temperature?
>
>I believe that NASCAR uses it in their tires for the same reason.

At the LA Olympics (1984?) the US team used helium in the cycling
tires (in special German-made tubes that cost about $400 each). They
won, too! Maybe somebody at NASCAR should consider this

Andy Harman

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
On 3 May 1999 02:25:06 GMT, blowe...@aol.com (BLowell632) wrote:

>I would think oxygen plus solvent paint fumes=boom. I don't think I'd try it.

Oxygen was the culprit in both the Apollo 1 fire that killed 3
astronauts on the ground and the Apollo 13 explosion on the way to the
moon. After the Apollo 1 fire, they did away with the high oxygen
content in the cabin air.

Andy

Please reply to aharman at hhcustom dot com
Visit the RPM Web Page at http://www.rpmrail.org
Or my personal site at http://www.hhcustom.com/nspmg

Rusty Keeney

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
On Sat, 01 May 1999 21:18:29 -0700, TOM <tom...@funtv.com> wrote:

>Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
>bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?
>
><><><> TOM <><><>
>-----------------

1. Oxygen ain't "inert"

2. Nitrogen is used in tires because it is relatively inert, and
won't cause deterioration of the material...

Lester D. Shubin

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
More likely they use it because it slows down oxidation of the tires.
Lester

Donald Kinney wrote:

> TOM <tom...@funtv.com> wrote in message
> > David Thuss wrote:

> > > Other than compressed air, compressed Nitrogen is your best choice.
> > > It's dry, safe, and cost is relatively low.

> > > Dave

> > Don't they use nitrogen in passenger and military aircraft tires because
> > it doesn't change pressure with temperature?
> >
> > I believe that NASCAR uses it in their tires for the same reason.

AJ Kleipass

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99

David A. McConnell wrote in message
<7gih92$1fu$1...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...

>Hi TOM,
>You could always try Nitrous Oxide.

From the sounds of it, he already is! :o)

AJ Kleipass

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99

Donald Kinney wrote in message <7gj4nf$66s$1...@news.ispn.net>...

>john a dalton <jape...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> ...that's the sound it makes when you puncture a tire...
>> ..."PV=nRT'fttttttttt....PV=nPRT'ftftftftft....flop flop flop flop...
>> ...then you call your insurance agent and find out if you're covered
>> or not...
>> ..."covered for what?"..."a flat tire, sir"..."are you kidding
>> me?"..."no, sir, it says here on the card to not move the car unless
>> you call youir agent first"...that's for accidents"..."oh, in't a flat
>> tire an accident?"..."no, son, it's not...an accident is a sudden and
>> violent damage to the car"..."well, this flat tire was sudden and
>> violent...it went PV=nRT'fttttttttt....PV=nPRT'ftftftftft....flop flop
>> flop flop"..."hey, that was pretty good, son...do it
>> again"...""PV=nRT'fttttttttt....PV=nPRT'ftftftftft....flop flop flop
>> flop"..."want to be in a local commercial?"... :))
>> ...big john... :))
>Heard in the background: Crash!! "Yes sir, that was my car making that
>other noise"...."Yes, sir, I left it in the middle of the street as the
card
>said not to move it"...."You'll be right out.."""
>Donald

By any chance is that driver's name Brad?
And was his girlfriend Janet in the car, which just got totaled?

MEAT7

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
> Nope, PV=nRT applies to all gasses.

Actually, PV = nRT only applies to ideal gasses. There is no such thing as an
ideal gas, so the formula doesn't actually apply to any gas. There is a
version of this equation that better approximates the behavior of ideal gases,
but I'm sure I would get flamed for using that many exponents on this news
group.

>Common English please... Some of us aren't as smart as you are.
>
><><><> TOM <><><>

Here's a quick run down on that formula...

Pressure * Volume = (n, the moles of the gas, i.e. how much you have) * R (the
ideal gas constant) * Temperature.

So if you increase something, like the Temperature, the Pressure or Volume has
to go up accordingly.
Or if the Pressuse goes down, something on the other side of the = must go
down, like the temperature. Which is why spray can cool off as you expend
them.
It actually does a half decent job of approximating the behavior of a gas at
Standard Temperature and Pressure (STP), 298K, 1 ATM, but the farther you get
from that, the less reliable the estimates are.

Gee TOM, you really seemed to have open a can of worms with a simple little
joke. :)

-Scott-

Gndlfstram

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
>Gee TOM, you really seemed to have open a can of worms with a simple little
>joke. :)

Do what you do best.

Jack "The trolley nut" Priller

Gndlfstram

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
>>Hi TOM,
>>You could always try Nitrous Oxide.
>>

>From the sounds of it, he already is! :o)

Nah, he's our supplier!

David Garbett Siviter

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99

AJ Kleipass wrote:

> David A. McConnell wrote in message
> <7gih92$1fu$1...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...

> >Hi TOM,
> >You could always try Nitrous Oxide.
> >

> From the sounds of it, he already is! :o)

If you've got the oxygen, you can always use it to get rid of the hangover
next morning.

David

TOM

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
> Gee TOM, you really seemed to have open a can of worms with a simple little
> joke. :)
>
> -Scott-

TOM Sorry... :<((

Next time, TOM ask Shep help with hairbrushing... Bet you not know Shep
have hair... Here, Look at tail... Oops, sorry, forgot to warn about
organic packing material, one of new enterprises TOM getting in to...
Shep Ships...

If you send me your expensive train dodad, TOM ask Shep to use his new
Shep Wrap on it... With Shep Wrap, buyer can always tell when package
arrive... Everyone in neighborhood know when package arrive... All can
share in joy of new train dodad!!!

Reminds TOM of question... You got log number for UPS?

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

TOM

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
Gndlfstram wrote:

> >Gee TOM, you really seemed to have open a can of worms with a simple little
> >joke. :)
>
> Do what you do best.
>
> Jack "The trolley nut" Priller

Guess TOM go fishing...

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

TOM

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
Lester D. Shubin wrote:

> More likely they use it because it slows down oxidation of the tires.
> Lester

Good point since airlines recap their tires several times...

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

TOM

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
Gndlfstram wrote:

> >>Hi TOM,
> >>You could always try Nitrous Oxide.
> >>

> >From the sounds of it, he already is! :o)
>
> Nah, he's our supplier!
>
> Jack "The trolley nut" Priller

Nitrous Oxide??? Oops... I've been supplying methane all this time!

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

TOM

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
David Garbett Siviter wrote:

> AJ Kleipass wrote:
>
> > David A. McConnell wrote in message
> > <7gih92$1fu$1...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...
> > >Hi TOM,
> > >You could always try Nitrous Oxide.
> > >

> > From the sounds of it, he already is! :o)
>
> If you've got the oxygen, you can always use it to get rid of the hangover
> next morning.
>
> David

Never thought about that!!!

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

Joseph David Farrell

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
Gee Tom, there is NO problem using oxygen, other than the incredibly
excplosive mixture created by having a flammable substance in a 100%
O2 envirnoment.

Feel free to use O2, just call the fire dept. BEFORE you start you
they can put you out.

Regards,

Joe

As fort he Nitrogen issue here, Nitrogen is used in tires because it
is NOT explosive, hasNOTHING to do with how it expands. As a gas, N2
follows Boyles Law just like any other gas. N2 displaces all the O2
and other oxidants and thus prevents explosions in hot tires. . .

Joe

TOM

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
Joseph David Farrell wrote:

> Regards,
>
> Joe
>
> As fort he Nitrogen issue here, Nitrogen is used in tires because it
> is NOT explosive, hasNOTHING to do with how it expands. As a gas, N2
> follows Boyles Law just like any other gas. N2 displaces all the O2
> and other oxidants and thus prevents explosions in hot tires. . .
>
> Joe

Thanks... That was pointed out to me in a post on Sunday...

Boy, something that started out as tongue-in-cheek sure snowballed...
:>))

Maybe this thread will get the "most posts" award... :>))

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

Christian Tucker

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
<><><>TOM<><><> commented

> Boy, something that started out as tongue-in-cheek sure snowballed...

I'm sure Marie Antoinette had similar reservations after her comment on
French Bread.

Christian
Brockport

Aredeer

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
Oxygen is not inert. it is highly FLAMMABLE!

TOM

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99

So now you're tellin' me there's sumptin' wrong with cake?

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

William Kaiser

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
TOM (tom...@funtv.com) wrote:
> Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
> bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?

To get this properly off topic...

There was a discussion some time ago on rec.crafts.metalworking about
starting a charcoal grill quickly. I believe the record was something
like 3 seconds from cold to ready to cook. They poured a couple of liters
of liquid oxygen on the chracoal and tossed in a match from a safe
distance. There were some pictures on a web site, quite spectacular.

To get back on topic...

Maybe that's what I need to burn anthracite in my boiler.

--
Bill Kaiser
wka...@mhc.mtholyoke.edu

There are three ways to do a job: good, cheap, and quick.
You can have any two.
A good, cheap job won't be quick.
A good, quick job won't be cheap.
A cheap, quick job won't be good.

TOM

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
William Kaiser wrote:

> TOM (tom...@funtv.com) wrote:
> > Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
> > bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?
>
> To get this properly off topic...
>
> There was a discussion some time ago on rec.crafts.metalworking about
> starting a charcoal grill quickly. I believe the record was something
> like 3 seconds from cold to ready to cook. They poured a couple of liters
> of liquid oxygen on the chracoal and tossed in a match from a safe
> distance. There were some pictures on a web site, quite spectacular.
>
> To get back on topic...
>
> Maybe that's what I need to burn anthracite in my boiler.
>
> --
> Bill Kaiser
> wka...@mhc.mtholyoke.edu

Bill,

You got this mess properly off topic in a most exquisite manner... I'm
proud of ya... :>))

This is another "Make My Day" post... :>))

Here in California, we have a Geico Insurance commercial about a guy
dumping several cans of charcoal lighter fluid in his barbecue... A shot
from the front of the house shows a small mushroom cloud rising out of
the back yard... :>))

Thanks for the "tickle!"

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

Beatnik81

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
I really don't have anything to say on this topic, but it has so many posts i
suppose i need to do my part. except, gee... nitrogen in my tires? i'll be
the envy of all my classmates... "ya, i'm a serious racer, i've got nitrogen
filled tires." "but will, you drive an '89 Civic..." "that's right..."
willimo

Peter Berghs

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
Here is the site for the BBQ lighting.

http://ghg.ecn.purdue.edu/

With enough oxygen you could probably get 90% slate coal to burn in your boiler. Or
just heat up the boiler hot enough, add oxygen, and burn the boiler on its own.

Peter B

William Kaiser wrote:

> TOM (tom...@funtv.com) wrote:
> > Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
> > bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?
>
> To get this properly off topic...
>
> There was a discussion some time ago on rec.crafts.metalworking about
> starting a charcoal grill quickly. I believe the record was something
> like 3 seconds from cold to ready to cook. They poured a couple of liters
> of liquid oxygen on the chracoal and tossed in a match from a safe
> distance. There were some pictures on a web site, quite spectacular.
>
> To get back on topic...
>
> Maybe that's what I need to burn anthracite in my boiler.
>
> --
> Bill Kaiser
> wka...@mhc.mtholyoke.edu

Frank A. Rosenbaum

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99

From Frank in White Plains, NY
New Email: f...@cyburban.com

TOM wrote in message <372CA6FE...@funtv.com>...
>Charles F Seyferlich wrote:
>>
>> TOM wrote:

>> > Then you wouldn't have to use the wife's oven to cure the paint... :>))
>> >
>> > <><><> TOM <><><>
>> > -----------------
>>
>> I use a tank of Acetylene as airbrush propelent. I paint, bake the paint
>> and barbecue dinner all in one step.
>
>Whoa, good idea!
>
>Kids (and adults), don't try this at home... :>))
>
><><><> TOM <><><>
>-----------------

Ok, Tom, Where *should* we try it?

TOM

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
Peter Berghs wrote:

> Here is the site for the BBQ lighting.
>
> http://ghg.ecn.purdue.edu/
>
> With enough oxygen you could probably get 90% slate coal to burn in your boiler. Or
> just heat up the boiler hot enough, add oxygen, and burn the boiler on its own.
>
> Peter B
>
> William Kaiser wrote:
> >
> > TOM (tom...@funtv.com) wrote:
> > > Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
> > > bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?
> >
> > To get this properly off topic...
> >
> > There was a discussion some time ago on rec.crafts.metalworking about
> > starting a charcoal grill quickly. I believe the record was something
> > like 3 seconds from cold to ready to cook. They poured a couple of liters
> > of liquid oxygen on the chracoal and tossed in a match from a safe
> > distance. There were some pictures on a web site, quite spectacular.
> >
> > To get back on topic...
> >
> > Maybe that's what I need to burn anthracite in my boiler.
> >
> > --
> > Bill Kaiser
> > wka...@mhc.mtholyoke.edu

Wasn't that one of those MST3K movies: "They Eat Their Boilers." ???

"I'm melting, MELTING..." (Evil Witch)

"You killed her, she's dead." (Palace guard played by Buddy Ebson)

Were off to see the Wizard,
The wonderful Wizard of Oz...

Thomas The Tank Cannibal

NURSE!!!

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

TOM

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
Frank A. Rosenbaum wrote:

> --
> From Frank in White Plains, NY
> New Email: f...@cyburban.com
>
> TOM wrote in message <372CA6FE...@funtv.com>...
> >Charles F Seyferlich wrote:

> shut
> with the
> model, the

> railfans and

> >> I use a tank of Acetylene as airbrush propelent. I paint, bake the paint
> >> and barbecue dinner all in one step.
> >
> >Whoa, good idea!
> >
> >Kids (and adults), don't try this at home... :>))
> >
> ><><><> TOM <><><>
> >-----------------
>
> Ok, Tom, Where *should* we try it?

At your "friend's" home... :>))

Well... After trying it, I'm sure he'll be your ex-friend... :>))

Boy, I sure started a firestorm (pun intended) with my post... I thought
Big John's post about using his oxygen generator for airbrushing just
seemed to hit an out of tune chord in what's left of my brain, and
Mother Nature sort of took its course...

Don't ask... Even I don't know what I was trying to do... I guess I was
waiting for the meds to ramp up... :>))

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

Michael Usoff

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99

TOM wrote:

> MEAT7 wrote:
> >
> > > Nope, PV=nRT applies to all gasses.
> >
> > Actually, PV = nRT only applies to ideal gasses. There is no such thing as an
> > ideal gas, so the formula doesn't actually apply to any gas. There is a
> > version of this equation that better approximates the behavior of ideal gases,
> > but I'm sure I would get flamed for using that many exponents on this news
> > group.
> >
> > >Common English please... Some of us aren't as smart as you are.
> > >
> > ><><><> TOM <><><>
> >
> > Here's a quick run down on that formula...
> >
> > Pressure * Volume = (n, the moles of the gas, i.e. how much you have) * R (the
> > ideal gas constant) * Temperature.
> >
> > So if you increase something, like the Temperature, the Pressure or Volume has
> > to go up accordingly.
> > Or if the Pressuse goes down, something on the other side of the = must go
> > down, like the temperature. Which is why spray can cool off as you expend
> > them.
> > It actually does a half decent job of approximating the behavior of a gas at
> > Standard Temperature and Pressure (STP), 298K, 1 ATM, but the farther you get
> > from that, the less reliable the estimates are.
> >

> > Gee TOM, you really seemed to have open a can of worms with a simple little
> > joke. :)
> >

> > -Scott-
>
> TOM Sorry... :<((
>
> Next time, TOM ask Shep help with hairbrushing... Bet you not know Shep
> have hair... Here, Look at tail... Oops, sorry, forgot to warn about
> organic packing material, one of new enterprises TOM getting in to...
> Shep Ships...
>
> If you send me your expensive train dodad, TOM ask Shep to use his new
> Shep Wrap on it... With Shep Wrap, buyer can always tell when package
> arrive... Everyone in neighborhood know when package arrive... All can
> share in joy of new train dodad!!!
>
> Reminds TOM of question... You got log number for UPS?
>
> <><><> TOM <><><>
> -----------------

Do I get to play straight man to Tarzan?? Or, must I wear a chimp coat?? Ooga
Balunga!! :>)) Mike U.

Michael Usoff

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99

Christian Tucker wrote:

> <><><>TOM<><><> commented
>
> > Boy, something that started out as tongue-in-cheek sure snowballed...
>
> I'm sure Marie Antoinette had similar reservations after her comment on
> French Bread.
>
> Christian
> Brockport

Not for long! She sure lost her head over that one! :>)) Mike U.

Michael Usoff

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99

TOM wrote:

> William Kaiser wrote:
> >
> > TOM (tom...@funtv.com) wrote:

> > > Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
> > > bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?
> >

> > To get this properly off topic...
> >
> > There was a discussion some time ago on rec.crafts.metalworking about
> > starting a charcoal grill quickly. I believe the record was something
> > like 3 seconds from cold to ready to cook. They poured a couple of liters
> > of liquid oxygen on the chracoal and tossed in a match from a safe
> > distance. There were some pictures on a web site, quite spectacular.
> >
> > To get back on topic...
> >
> > Maybe that's what I need to burn anthracite in my boiler.
> >
> > --
> > Bill Kaiser
> > wka...@mhc.mtholyoke.edu
>

> Bill,
>
> You got this mess properly off topic in a most exquisite manner... I'm
> proud of ya... :>))
>
> This is another "Make My Day" post... :>))
>
> Here in California, we have a Geico Insurance commercial about a guy
> dumping several cans of charcoal lighter fluid in his barbecue... A shot
> from the front of the house shows a small mushroom cloud rising out of
> the back yard... :>))
>
> Thanks for the "tickle!"
>
> <><><> TOM <><><>
> -----------------

I didn't think, there was enough oxygen left in the California atmosphere to
start a fire!! :>)) Mike U.

Michael Usoff

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99

TOM wrote:

> Peter Berghs wrote:
> >
> > Here is the site for the BBQ lighting.
> >
> > http://ghg.ecn.purdue.edu/
> >
> > With enough oxygen you could probably get 90% slate coal to burn in your boiler. Or
> > just heat up the boiler hot enough, add oxygen, and burn the boiler on its own.
> >
> > Peter B
> >

> > William Kaiser wrote:

> > > To get this properly off topic...
> > >
> > > There was a discussion some time ago on rec.crafts.metalworking about
> > > starting a charcoal grill quickly. I believe the record was something
> > > like 3 seconds from cold to ready to cook. They poured a couple of liters
> > > of liquid oxygen on the chracoal and tossed in a match from a safe
> > > distance. There were some pictures on a web site, quite spectacular.
> > >
> > > To get back on topic...
> > >
> > > Maybe that's what I need to burn anthracite in my boiler.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bill Kaiser
> > > wka...@mhc.mtholyoke.edu
>

> Wasn't that one of those MST3K movies: "They Eat Their Boilers." ???
>
> "I'm melting, MELTING..." (Evil Witch)
>
> "You killed her, she's dead." (Palace guard played by Buddy Ebson)
>
> Were off to see the Wizard,
> The wonderful Wizard of Oz...
>
> Thomas The Tank Cannibal
>
> NURSE!!!
>
> <><><> TOM <><><>
> -----------------

Oxygen and cannibals!! I' m too confused to go on, now where did I leave my brushes!!
:>)) Mike U.

Conn McCarthy

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99

TOM wrote in message <372CE751...@funtv.com>...

<snip>

>Don't they use nitrogen in passenger and military aircraft tires because
>it doesn't change pressure with temperature?
>
>I believe that NASCAR uses it in their tires for the same reason.
>
><><><> TOM <><><>

Nope. We use nitrogen in our aircraft tires because it does not contain any
water. Moisture in the air in the tires will condense and freeze at the low
temperatures experienced at high altitudes. I couldn't tell you if or why
NASCAR uses it.

David Thuss

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
William Kaiser wrote:
There was a discussion some time ago on rec.crafts.metalworking about
starting a charcoal grill quickly.  I believe the record was something
like 3 seconds from cold to ready to cook.  They poured a couple of liters
of liquid oxygen on the chracoal and tossed in a match from a safe
distance.  There were some pictures on a web site, quite spectacular.
Bill,  Couldn't access the 1996 archives to see if the pics are still there, but here's the site link.

Special "ON TOPIC" link
 HotAIR - Rare and well-done tidbits from the Annals of Improbable Research

--
Dave

 It's all an illusion!    (Henning)

GP305513

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
Seriously folks, all kidding aside. It is not advisable to use OXYGEN as a
propellant unless you have approved wirirng, etc. in the work area. (LOL)

As a fire investigator with 25 years experience, this could have disastrous
results.

Ask the poor guy that tried to light a cigarette once while still hooked up to
his nasal canulla supplying OXYGEN for his lung condition.

His decision cost him a long stay in the local brun center, and he didn;t have
to shave for a while either.

OXYGEN officially does not burn, but accelerates combustion, a lot. Think about
the potential ignition sources or spark producing devices in your home. I paint
in spray booth in my basement. There are a dozen or so ways that I could light
myself up, with little effort required.

Use the air, and buy an air dryer for the compressor.

Be safe not sorry......

PeterH5322

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99

Use the air, and buy an air dryer for the compressor.

I use CO2 for a variety of technical purposes, including airbrushing.

Although I did buy a new tank designed for CO2 purposes (a 35# aluminum tank),
I've also bought used tanks of several kinds, also with CO2 valves and have
paid the $18 hydro-testing charge to bet these tanks certified for use.

A CO2 tank as used in the carbonated beverage industry is very affordable, and
can often be picked up at swap meets and lfea markets for next to nothing. Make
sure the tank isn't stolen (hint: if it has the name of a local distributor
stamped on a ring around the neck, it may be stolen).

I use an oxygen regulator to which I have replaced the oxygen inlet fitting
with a CO2 ilet fitting.

Although I use this regulator for airbrushing, I also use it for many technical
functions, including blow-drying parts when I don't want to go out to the shop
and fire up the air compressor, operating some specialized electronics
desoldering equipment (requires about 60 PSI), using a nail gun (requires about
80 PSI), and, of course, the trusty IWATA airbrush (requires 15 PSI, or so).

All-in-all, I've found CO2 to be quite economical, quite safe, and as I use a
converted welding regulator, exceptionally flexible (both low PSI for
airbrushing and high PSI for technical use).

I concur that gases such as O2 are a serious mistake.

And unless one has access to a SCUBA-type air compressor, one can't get a
sufficient volume of compressed air (translates to high pressure) to make
compressed air worthwhile.

My $0.02 worth.

TOM

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99

TOM not need straight man... TOM laugh at own joke...

TOM not find log number for UPS yet... You help?

TOM

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99

Thank you for the information...

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

TOM

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
> Use the air, and buy an air dryer for the compressor.
>
> Be safe not sorry......

Good advice in an otherwise tongue-in-cheek thread...

I liked the one (don't try this... ANYWHERE!) about using LOX to crank
up the barbecue... :>))

Thank you for the "offical" reason for not using Oxygen...

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

TOM

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
Michael Usoff wrote:

> TOM wrote:
>
> > William Kaiser wrote:

> > > To get this properly off topic...
> > >
> > > There was a discussion some time ago on rec.crafts.metalworking about
> > > starting a charcoal grill quickly. I believe the record was something
> > > like 3 seconds from cold to ready to cook. They poured a couple of liters
> > > of liquid oxygen on the chracoal and tossed in a match from a safe
> > > distance. There were some pictures on a web site, quite spectacular.
> > >
> > > To get back on topic...
> > >
> > > Maybe that's what I need to burn anthracite in my boiler.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bill Kaiser
> > > wka...@mhc.mtholyoke.edu
> >
> > Bill,
> >
> > You got this mess properly off topic in a most exquisite manner... I'm
> > proud of ya... :>))
> >
> > This is another "Make My Day" post... :>))
> >
> > Here in California, we have a Geico Insurance commercial about a guy
> > dumping several cans of charcoal lighter fluid in his barbecue... A shot
> > from the front of the house shows a small mushroom cloud rising out of
> > the back yard... :>))
> >
> > Thanks for the "tickle!"
> >
> > <><><> TOM <><><>
> > -----------------
>
> I didn't think, there was enough oxygen left in the California atmosphere to
> start a fire!! :>)) Mike U.

Start? Yes...

Sustain?... Maybe... :>))

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

TOM

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
Michael Usoff wrote:

> TOM wrote:
>
> > Peter Berghs wrote:
> > >
> > > Here is the site for the BBQ lighting.
> > >
> > > http://ghg.ecn.purdue.edu/
> > >
> > > With enough oxygen you could probably get 90% slate coal to burn in your boiler. Or
> > > just heat up the boiler hot enough, add oxygen, and burn the boiler on its own.
> > >
> > > Peter B

> > Wasn't that one of those MST3K movies: "They Eat Their Boilers." ???
> >
> > "I'm melting, MELTING..." (Evil Witch)
> >
> > "You killed her, she's dead." (Palace guard played by Buddy Ebson)
> >
> > Were off to see the Wizard,
> > The wonderful Wizard of Oz...
> >
> > Thomas The Tank Cannibal
> >
> > NURSE!!!
> >
> > <><><> TOM <><><>
> > -----------------
>
> Oxygen and cannibals!! I' m too confused to go on, now where did I leave my brushes!!
> :>)) Mike U.

SHEP!!! Mike need brushes... :>))

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

Michael Usoff

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99

TOM wrote:

> Michael Usoff wrote:
> >
> > TOM wrote:

What kind of log are we looking for, Balsa, Mahogany, Oak, ETC? :>)) Mike U.

TOM

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99

TOM think must be ETC? log... It have that sound when TOM talk to them.

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

Alan Gilchrist

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
In Message <372BD215...@funtv.com>, TOM at tom...@funtv.com was saying
something about Airbrushing With Oxygen...

>Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
>bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?

Tom, don't use oxygen to spray with as it supports combustion, instead go
down to your local welding supply dealer and buy, lease or rent a cylinder of
carbon dioxide and a regulator to go with it.

Alan (remove ".NSPM" before replying via EMail)

| IRC: Channel: #ModelRails Server: IRC.Zuh.Net |
| ICQ: Nick: Grimmis UIN: #30624286 |

* <- Tribble # <- Tribble After Borg Assimilation

Alan Gilchrist

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
In Message <372BD6F7...@erols.com>, Jonathan O'Connor at
sha...@erols.com was saying something about Re: Airbrushing With Oxygen...

>Other than that, there should be no chemical effect or lack of one.

Be aware that oxygen supports combustion.

Alan (remove ".NSPM" before replying via EMail)

| IRC: Channel: #ModelRails Server: IRC.Zuh.Net |
| ICQ: Nick: Grimmis UIN: #30624286 |

* <- Tribble ° <- Tribble in Transporter.

John R Sheridan

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99

Andy Harman wrote in message <372d1a1a...@news2.one.net>...
>On 3 May 1999 02:25:06 GMT, blowe...@aol.com (BLowell632) wrote:
>
>>I would think oxygen plus solvent paint fumes=boom. I don't think I'd try
it.

>Oxygen was the culprit in both the Apollo 1 fire that killed 3
>astronauts on the ground and the Apollo 13 explosion on the way to the
>moon. After the Apollo 1 fire, they did away with the high oxygen
>content in the cabin air.

Actually, they did not switch to a normal Nitrogen / Oxygen environment till
the Space shuttle.

John Sheridan @ Microscale Decals
http://www.microscale.com

If I'm talking Decals, then i'm talking for Microscale,
Otherwise I am speaking for myself.

What I do to Spammers: http://microscale.com/images/N2.jpg
I am not a Member of the Lumber Cartel (tinlc) and I am not Unit #631
Fight Spam! Join CAUCE! http://www.cauce.org
Support the Ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide! http://www.cis.udel.edu/~way/DMRD/

John R Sheridan

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99

TOM wrote in message <372BD215...@funtv.com>...
>Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
>bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?

Just be sure to have plenty of open flames going and be sure to work in a
cramped area as well..........<grin>

Boom, there's always a boom............

TOM

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
Alan Gilchrist wrote:

> In Message <372BD215...@funtv.com>, TOM at tom...@funtv.com was saying
> something about Airbrushing With Oxygen...
>
> >Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
> >bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?
>
> Tom, don't use oxygen to spray with as it supports combustion, instead go
> down to your local welding supply dealer and buy, lease or rent a cylinder of
> carbon dioxide and a regulator to go with it.
>
> Alan (remove ".NSPM" before replying via EMail)
>
> | IRC: Channel: #ModelRails Server: IRC.Zuh.Net |
> | ICQ: Nick: Grimmis UIN: #30624286 |
>
> * <- Tribble # <- Tribble After Borg Assimilation

While your advise is solid, my bank account is not... So I decided to
get some kitchen sponges and kind do some of that antuquing stuff they
show on TV... I won't even have to weather it...

Seriously, thanks for the tip... Someone else also mentioned CO2... And
it sounds like the way to go in the absence of a compressor...

Now, all I have to do is get an airbrush, all the equipment, and get rid
of the nervousness and I'm set... Let's see, can you give me about ten
minutes here?... :>))

You see, the closest I ever came to "airbrushing" anything was using a
can of Rustoleum on my folk's lawn furniture... :<((

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

TOM

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
John R Sheridan wrote:

> TOM wrote in message <372BD215...@funtv.com>...
> >Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
> >bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?
> >

> Just be sure to have plenty of open flames going and be sure to work in a
> cramped area as well..........<grin>
>
> Boom, there's always a boom............
>
> John Sheridan @ Microscale Decals

Yeah, and then all those pieces start falling out of the sky through
that new hole in the roof... :>))

<><><> TOM <><><>
----------------

Greg Fretwell

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
The gas you want is nitrogen. It is cheap at the welding store. It is
basically air but clean. Co2 is a "dirty" gas according to my welding
shop and it will also sweat water as it boils. Oxygen and paint is a
torch, you could weld with it.
Greg

Patrick Thomas Syck

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99

ABSOLUTLY, DO NOT USE OXYGEN.

Hi concentrations of oxygen accelerates burning. The way you are sugesting, it would be 100% oxygen.
mixed with your paint. Using oxygen as the propellent would turn your air brush into a torch even if you use
water based paint.

It has been many years, but I still remember the science demo wher the teacher used steel wool as the fuel.
after fluffing it up, she lit it. There was only a slight red glow. Then with a hose on the end of a yard stick she
blew high purity oxygen on the steel wool. Fortunatly she had it behind a shield, because the steel woolburnt so
intensly it was almost an explosion.

Use one of the inert gases (nitrogen, carbon dioxid, etc), but besure you have a good supply of fresh air, as these
can displace the oxygen you need to breathe.

I say again, DO NOT USE OXYGEN TO PAINT WITH. It is an open invitation to desaster.

Grover Syck
sy...@ix.netcom.com

On Sat, 01 May 1999 21:18:29 -0700, TOM <tom...@funtv.com> wrote:

>Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
>bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?
>

><><><> TOM <><><>
>-----------------

Joe Ellis

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
In article <7go1ge$hop$1...@oak.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "John R Sheridan"
<jrshe...@earthlink.net> wrote:

<<snip>>

> Boom, there's always a boom............
>
> John Sheridan @ Microscale Decals

> http://www.microscale.com

No boom today, boom tomorrow.

<<snicker>> I hope I'm not the only one to recognise how appropriate that
_particular_ quote was, President... er, Captain... er... Mr. Sheridan!

So... when do we see decals for the Mars pnuematic tube cars?

--
Joe Ellis - The Synthetic Filker | _/_/_/_/_/_/_/
| _/ _/
TesserAct Studios | _/_/_/_/_/_/
365 Palm Springs Dr #106 | _/ _/ _/
Altamonte Springs, FL 32701 | _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/

Bellinis

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
The nitrogen you buy at the welding store is better than air for painting. It
is pure nitrogen,
also known as dry nitrogen (as in no water.)
It is under extremely high pressure however,
(about 2500 psi in fresh bottle if memory serves me correctly.) For that
reason, anyone wishing to use nitrogen should invest in an osha approved tie
down to secure the bottle, and protect the valve from being broken off.
Russ

Donald Kinney

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99

TOM <tom...@funtv.com> wrote in message

> John R Sheridan wrote:
> >
> > TOM wrote in message
> > >Is there any advantage to airbrushing with oxygen or other inert,
> > >bottled gas as opposed to compressed air?
> > >

> > Just be sure to have plenty of open flames going and be sure to work in
> > cramped area as well..........<grin>
> >
> > Boom, there's always a boom............
> >
> > John Sheridan @ Microscale Decals
>
> Yeah, and then all those pieces start falling out of the sky through
> that new hole in the roof... :>))
>
> <><><> TOM <><><>
> ----------------
Well, didn't someone ask here before how to make his layout work with a
pitched ceiling?

Donald

TOM

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99

I think you're right... But not a PATCHED cieling... :>))

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

LMLawler

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
Using oxygen poses several problems- Firstly is cost, secondly when you mix
petroleum products, the potential for violent, rapid oxidation is very high.
(ka-blewy) Try CO2, much safer.

TOM

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
bob wrote:

> In article <7glpe3$eqf$1...@hirame.wwa.com>, "Conn McCarthy" <j...@wwa.com> wrote:
> >temperatures experienced at high altitudes. I couldn't tell you if or why
> >NASCAR uses it.
>
> <delurk>
>
> NASCAR (and virtually all other cubic $ racing series) use pure nitrogen in
> the tires due to it's very predictable temperature/pressure characteristics.
> Regular air has way too many 'impurities' to be at all predictable.
>
> </delurk>

Ah Ha!!! You're the light at the end of the tunnel... :>))

Thank you for that tid bit!

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

bob

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99

Bellinis

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
The reason that race cars use nitrogen in tires is that pure nitrogen doesn't
change pressure with temperature like air does.
Russ

john a dalton

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
TOM <tom...@funtv.com> wrote:

>Ah Ha!!! You're the light at the end of the tunnel... :>))
>
>Thank you for that tid bit!
>
><><><> TOM <><><>
>-----------------

...interesting observation, what with the oxygen and all... :))

..."i can't see the other end of the tunnel, Tom"..."here, light this
Coleman lantern and hold it up high"... :)) ..."do you smell
anything?"..."nope...if there was anything leaking, we'd smell it for
sure"..."what about oxygen?"..."very funny"... :))

...big john... :))

john a dalton

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
bell...@aol.com (Bellinis) wrote:

...the real reason is it keeps fire ants from hiding in the tires and
eating them... :))

...down in Texas, they had to pressurize the underground telephone
conduits with nitrogen to keep the fire ants from eating the vinyl off
the wires...the vinyl is almost pure protein to a fire ant...vicious
little devils, too...their bite contains formic acid, same as a
rattlesnake...you drive along the highways, and there are big tanks of
nitrogen everywhere...

...big john... :))

JCNOPHD

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
<<the real reason is it keeps fire ants from hiding in the tires and
eating them..>>

Hummmm---wonder if I can figure out a way to pressurize my entire lawn with
nitrogen?

<<Vicious

little devils, too...their bite contains formic acid, same as a
rattlesnake.>>

Yes, they are! More than once I have "discovered" a new mound in the yard by
simply stopping to rest for a moment when mowing. Trust me, it's not a pretty
sight when a 64 year old tries to take his pants off while simultaneously
running for the house! This is one bit of nature I don't think I will try to
reproduce on my N-scale road.

It is loading more messages.