Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Dismiss

Model Railroader magazine: 75-year collection on DVD-ROM

1,019 views
Skip to first unread message

Mark Mathu

unread,
Mar 30, 2012, 12:23:54 AM3/30/12
to
So which of you early adopters out there already got a Model
Railroader magazine DVD? What are your thoughts on the product?

http://www.kalmbachstore.com/15120.html

__________
Mark Mathu
Whitefish Bay, Wis.

Matt

unread,
Mar 30, 2012, 10:11:02 AM3/30/12
to
Having had all but the last 2-3 years worth of MR here at the house for
the last 15+ years, I'll pass (finally managed to give them away). Yes,
there were many good articles, many good layout pictorials, many
interesting track plans, etc. etc. etc., but as a resource for the club
I belong to, it was a bust - no more than half a dozen issues were ever
borrowed from the collection during those 15 years.

DVD might be different if the search capabilities are good, but even
then, as an individual, I really would have no need for the vast
majority of plans, etc. available. Could be a good club resource though.

Matt

Nick Fotis

unread,
Apr 4, 2012, 10:15:45 AM4/4/12
to
Personally, I am interested (I am happy enough with the equivalent
Trains product).

Having all these issues available in your computer is a nice thing (and
in the Trains DVDs there is a search facility, so I suppose this will be
included in the MR version)

For people with space problems, it will be great. The Trains version had
even advertisers and subscription coupons in the digital edition -
exactly as if you had the printed edition.

N.F.

Mark Mathu

unread,
Apr 5, 2012, 2:58:31 AM4/5/12
to
On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 17:15:45 +0300, Nick Fotis <nick....@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Having all these issues available in your computer is a nice thing (and
> in the Trains DVDs there is a search facility, so I suppose this will be
> included in the MR version)


Based on the context your reply, I assume you do not have the Model
Railroader magazine DVDs... the search function is one of the features
I am most leery about, considering some of the comments on
kalmbachstore.com:

"The search engine is not the best. " - Mr Train

"The basic search engine is awkward, but usable. " - Jim Moore

"The search doesn't really work like I thought it would." - Larry
Wolohon

"Yes the search functions should have been professionally done. To not
search by author is again inexcusable." - David Mead

__________
Mark Mathu
Whitefish Bay, Wis.
The Green Bay Route: http://www.greenbayroute.com/

Graham Harrison

unread,
Apr 5, 2012, 5:23:45 PM4/5/12
to

"Mark Mathu" <ma...@mathu.com> wrote in message
news:44gqn79ie58tj2smr...@4ax.com...
The whole implementation of the Trains DVD leaves something to be desired.
It works but it could be much better. And the thing the really irritates
me is that they haven't thought "what next?". It's all very well having
all the issues up until <insert date - I've forgotten> in electronic format
but how do I get electronic versions of subsequent issues? They've just
introduced e-magazine versions but I'm not clear whether a subscription I
buy for just one year will still be available to me if I choose not to
subscribe for the following year. Also there is now a gap between the DVD
and the e-magazine.

Nick Fotis

unread,
Apr 6, 2012, 5:55:16 PM4/6/12
to
Agreed that the search mechanism is not a brilliant piece of engineering :-)
It takes some time to get used to its quirks.

It works, though, if you are satisfied by full text search, plus some
more criteria (basically years/issue numbers, if I remember well).
If you want a more advanced mechanism, though, you are out of luck.

It would be nice to have a way of updating the DVD edition every 2-3 years.
I haven't got any e-magazine copies (I still prefer to get the hardcopy
print version - if the e-magazine is appreciably cheaper, I may bite -
and my renewal time is approaching)

I am seriously thinking of ordering the MR DVD edition myself. I have
stopped getting the regular issues.

N.F.

Wolf K

unread,
Apr 6, 2012, 5:58:32 PM4/6/12
to
What's the format of the files?

Wolf K.

John Haskey

unread,
Apr 6, 2012, 6:51:20 PM4/6/12
to
In article <9GJfr.38492$Mc4....@unlimited.newshosting.com>,
Wolf K <grey...@ruddy.moss> wrote:
>
>What's the format of the files?
>
>Wolf K.

I believe they are encrypted PDFs only readable with their viewer app.

---john.

mumbles

unread,
Apr 8, 2012, 7:27:03 AM4/8/12
to

"Graham Harrison" <edward.h...@remove.btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:8vmdnbuLyfj5kOPS...@bt.com...
>
They've just introduced e-magazine versions but I'm not clear whether a
subscription I
> buy for just one year will still be available to me if I choose not to
> subscribe for the following year.

If you are refering to the service they provide through Zinio,then yes the
issues you buy will still be available even if you stop subscribing.You can
also download the issue onto more than 1 device,eg an ipad plus a pc plus a
smartphone.

Neil.


Graham Harrison

unread,
Apr 8, 2012, 11:58:09 AM4/8/12
to

"mumbles" <n...@home.com> wrote in message
news:7Cegr.159235$jE5....@fx15.am4...
Good. Thank you for that nugget.

Mark Mathu

unread,
Apr 10, 2012, 12:00:05 AM4/10/12
to
On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 00:55:16 +0300, Nick Fotis <nick....@gmail.com>
wrote:

> It works, though, if you are satisfied by full text search, plus some
> more criteria (basically years/issue numbers, if I remember well).
> If you want a more advanced mechanism, though, you are out of luck


Does the full text search include the text in advertisements?

Widow in Texas

unread,
Dec 10, 2012, 12:18:02 PM12/10/12
to
replying to Matt , Widow in Texas wrote:
I got the Model Railroader 75 year collection set for my husband for Father's
Day and he enjoyed it immensely...then he passed away on 9/9/12 ...do you know
of anyone I could sell this to?

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/trains/model-railroader-magazine-75-year-collection-on-dvd-rom-67785-.htm
using PolytechForum's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
rec.models.railroad and other engineering groups

Wolf K

unread,
Dec 12, 2012, 9:58:52 AM12/12/12
to
On 10/12/2012 12:18 PM, Widow in Texas wrote:
> replying to Matt , Widow in Texas wrote:
> I got the Model Railroader 75 year collection set for my husband for
> Father's
> Day and he enjoyed it immensely...then he passed away on 9/9/12 ...do
> you know
> of anyone I could sell this to?

I'm interested, what do you want for it? If we can make a deal, I'll
mail you a money order before you ship it. Use wek...@sympatico.ca to
reply to this post.

--
Best,
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.ca

Mark Mathu

unread,
Dec 17, 2012, 2:21:09 AM12/17/12
to
On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 09:58:52 -0500, Wolf K <wek...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> I'm interested, what do you want for it? If we can make a deal, I'll
> mail you a money order before you ship it. Use wek...@sympatico.ca to
> reply to this post.


I just got my copy last month, so obviously I am not interested in
this one. But I'd like to interject that I am happy with the DVDs;
has been fascinating reading the articles and advertisements from the
1940s (especially the editorials) as the war began and limits appeared
on modeling materials.

I wish the format were a bit more portable (I wish I could have it on
our iPad or my daughter's Nook as opposed to having to sit at a desk
to read the articles).

My biggest concern before I bought the DVD was the thoroughness of the
search algorithm. Now that I've used it for a month, I'm satisfied
with it.

Wolf K

unread,
Dec 17, 2012, 9:38:03 AM12/17/12
to
On 17/12/2012 2:21 AM, Mark Mathu wrote:
> I just got my copy last month, so obviously I am not interested in
> this one. But I'd like to interject that I am happy with the DVDs;
> has been fascinating reading the articles and advertisements from the
> 1940s (especially the editorials) as the war began and limits appeared
> on modeling materials.
>
> I wish the format were a bit more portable (I wish I could have it on
> our iPad or my daughter's Nook as opposed to having to sit at a desk
> to read the articles).
>
> My biggest concern before I bought the DVD was the thoroughness of the
> search algorithm. Now that I've used it for a month, I'm satisfied
> with it.
>
> __________
> Mark Mathu
> Whitefish Bay, Wis.
> The Green Bay Route:http://www.greenbayroute.com/

Thanks for the review, Mark. Can one print the articles? It would be
handy if wanted to follow one of those early scratch-building articles. ;-)

I agree, Kalmbach should make it easy to use the content on other
platforms. But I suppose they're a little paranoid about not being able
to control copies of the DVDs. Silly, really, there are lots of paper
copies still floating around, and scans/photocopies are easy enough to get.

Mark Mathu

unread,
Dec 17, 2012, 11:58:47 PM12/17/12
to
On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 09:38:03 -0500, Wolf K <wek...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> Thanks for the review, Mark. Can one print the articles? It would be
> handy if wanted to follow one of those early scratch-building articles. ;-)


Yes... the printing interface is a standard Windows print dialog box
with all the familiar features. An 8.5x11 page prints slightly
smaller than that and the extra white space on the lower margin is
used for a Kalmbach copyright notice.

mopguy

unread,
Oct 30, 2020, 9:18:05 PM10/30/20
to
replying to Matt, mopguy wrote:
You want to sell it or make a copy for a price?

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/trains/model-railroader-magazine-75-year-collection-on-dvd-rom-67785-.htm


mopguy

unread,
Oct 30, 2020, 9:18:07 PM10/30/20
to
replying to Widow in Texas, mopguy wrote:
I will buy it.

Artschmidt40

unread,
May 9, 2021, 1:18:04 PM5/9/21
to
replying to Widow in Texas, Artschmidt40 wrote:
You certainly could sell it to me. Would you consider $250 as a price. Art
0 new messages