PFM

LarEyman

Mar 2, 2004, 3:48:37 PM3/2/04
Does anyone know if PFM sound has a web site or anyone familiar with their
systems?

Larry at Papas Trains

Jim Bernier

Mar 2, 2004, 5:18:33 PM3/2/04
Larry,

I do not think the system has been built for years. They came out in
something like 1967/1968, IIRC. Here is a URL of a gut whe sells parts and
modifications:

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/DCC/pfmsound.htm

Jim Bernier

PEACHCREEK

Mar 2, 2004, 6:51:19 PM3/2/04
Contact Bon Longnecker via PBL. Bob is the creator of the PFM sound system and
had a much improved version on the market. Bob still does repairs.

The PFM sound system had a couple of real problems. Really cheap components,
primarily the potentiometers. They were cheap carbon pots nd got scratchy very
quickly. The real aficianados replaced these with wire wound pots.

The other problem was more insidious. The chuff circuit was prone to fail.
Seems that if you turned the DC voltage down to zero, but left a short across
the track (or a heavy load such as car lights) the sound circuit would die. I
have three systems upstairs in the store room with bad chuff circuits. Anyone
want a real deal on a used PFM Mark II sound system? As is.

BTW. No one, I mean no one, ever made a better whistle! Unlike DCC where you
access canned sounds, you could actually PLAY the whistle on the PFM system. I
miss that.

John Glaab
Peach Creek Shops

SleuthRaptorman

Mar 2, 2004, 10:01:32 PM3/2/04
PEACHCREEK wrote:
> Contact Bon Longnecker via PBL. Bob is the creator of the PFM sound system and
> had a much improved version on the market. Bob still does repairs.

And he is a great person to deal with. Helped me work through some
issues with a unit damaged in the mail.

> The PFM sound system had a couple of real problems. Really cheap components,
> primarily the potentiometers. They were cheap carbon pots nd got scratchy very
> quickly. The real aficianados replaced these with wire wound pots.
>
> The other problem was more insidious. The chuff circuit was prone to fail.
> Seems that if you turned the DC voltage down to zero, but left a short across
> the track (or a heavy load such as car lights) the sound circuit would die. I
> have three systems upstairs in the store room with bad chuff circuits. Anyone
> want a real deal on a used PFM Mark II sound system? As is.

You are speaking of the earlier systems. The Sound System ][ (sound
system 2), vintage 1980-85, fixed all of these problems, and also the
got rid of the electronic sound of the bell.

> BTW. No one, I mean no one, ever made a better whistle! Unlike DCC where you
> access canned sounds, you could actually PLAY the whistle on the PFM system. I
> miss that.

HERE! HERE! Oh for a DCC noise system that could even come close.

SleuthRaptorman

Mar 2, 2004, 10:03:55 PM3/2/04
LarEyman wrote:
> Does anyone know if PFM sound has a web site or anyone familiar with their
> systems?

Which system do you need to know about and what do you need to know?

There were basically three versions of the system.
The original sound system
the Mark II
and the Sound System ][

You can tell the sound system 2 because it had tape units that connected
to it. I've owned the Mark II and have two system ][s.

Troutlips

May 1, 2020, 2:18:04 PM5/1/20
replying to SleuthRaptorman, Troutlips wrote:
I have a SS 2 and the chuff quit last night. When placing .1 ufd. across the
track output I have no chuff.

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/trains/pfm-17859-.htm