Accupaint - mixing with other brands

J Barnstorf

Aug 6, 2006, 4:04:41 PM8/6/06
Are there any other brands of paints / thinners that I can mix with
accupaint? I have some accupaint and one pint of the thinner. Considering
how hard it is to get both the paint and the thinner, I wanted to be able to
use up the last of my supply before I 'retire' that paint source.

The problem is that I don't have any white and I need to 'whiten' some of
the colors I have left. Once this last bottle of thinner is done I'll just
toss the remaining paint in the trash (unless there's an alternate thinner
anybody can suggest). I checked Walthers online and even they seem to have a
hard time keeping that stuff stocked.

Any suggestions?

Peter W.

Aug 8, 2006, 11:00:04 PM8/8/06

Not recommended.
AccuPaint has its own unique chemistry. You can add a bit of acetone
to thin it (as the original thinner contains acetone too). But not too
much as it will make it too "hot" for styrene.

FWIK, it is not really a paint but some sort of ink. That is why it
dries so hard. It is like a thin layer of plastic (instead of just
being a paint).

George Bishop has a very spotty production record. But he still puts
out a batch from time to time.

Get in touch with Wayne from Modeler's Junction.
http://modelersjunction.com . He stocks those paints (and knows
George). Last time I was there (2 weeks ago) he had several bottles in
stock. He might have the thinner too. And I'm pretty sure he had some
bottles of white and black there.

Wayne is a really nice guy and he will have no problem shipping those
paints to you.

AccuPaints are awesome!

Peteski

jason

Jun 22, 2023, 9:45:06 PM6/22/23
Can anybody tell me what color accupaint AP-32 is also AP-1, AP-25 ?
next qustion what would a substitute in Tru color paint?
I woulden't have started this project knowing now about this pain debacle,

--
For full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/trains/accupaint-mixing-with-other-brands-43618-.htm