Deceased Train Companies

Rathburne

Aug 12, 2002, 10:51:57 AM8/12/02
I was going through my boxes of old stuff trying to figure out what to
do with it. I compiled an interesting list of former Model Train
Manufacturers no longer around (I think). I am sure I am missing
some......?

E&B Valley
GSB
Ambroid
Robin's Rails
Roller Bearing Models
Silver Streak
Herkimer
Quality Craft
Ramaxx
McKean
Front Range
E&C Shops
AHM
Tyco
Revell
Cox
Aurora
Gloor Craft (?)
Alco Models (not brass but passenger cars)

Andrew S. Miller

Aug 12, 2002, 12:18:35 PM8/12/02
Some of these are re-rincarnated. See my annotations below.

To your list (off the top of my head) I can add KurtzKraft and Globe (a
name used briefly by Athearn when they were not sure plastic would sell!).

--
Regards,

Andy Miller
asmi...@mitre.org

Charles Callaghan

Aug 12, 2002, 12:53:19 PM8/12/02
How about Ulrich - I have several of their kits not yet made.

"Rathburne" <ffrat...@aol.com> wrote in message

Aredeer

Aug 12, 2002, 1:59:35 PM8/12/02
How about:
Binkley Kemtron
Laconia Akane
Main Line MEW
Arvid Anderson JC Silversides
Northeast 410 M
New One Dynamodel
Aristocraft LMB
Westside Howell Day
Olympia/Gem Airfix
Tenshodo Marnold
Suydam? Is Campbell still around?
Central Valley MB Austin
House of 4 Winds Max Grey
International Ken Kidder
AHM Arbor
Hallmark?
Olympic Express Hobbyline
Lindsay John English ( Bowser?)
AC Gilbert Trains, Inc.
American Beauty Train Miniature

There are more, but I'm tired.

Fred Dabney

Aug 12, 2002, 2:07:33 PM8/12/02

> E&B Valley
> GSB
> Ambroid
> Robin's Rails
> Roller Bearing Models
> Silver Streak
> Herkimer
> Quality Craft
> Ramaxx
> McKean
> Front Range
> E&C Shops
> AHM
> Tyco
> Revell
> Cox
> Aurora
> Gloor Craft (?)
> Alco Models (not brass but passenger cars)

You forgot:

Varney, Penn Scale Models, Penn Line, Binkley, Laconia,
American GK Loco, and a bunch of others.

Many of these lines still exist, either under new names or
the tools and/or models under different brands.

It would take a long posting to delineate them all.

Fred D.

Lunatickles

Aug 12, 2002, 3:37:25 PM8/12/02
I added a few that AFAIK are no longer with us.
Chuckles

"Rathburne" <ffrat...@aol.com> wrote in message
(added)
Globe
Mantua
Ertl
Penn Line
Kemtron
American Beauty
Varney
H.P. Products

Daniel A. Mitchell

Aug 12, 2002, 3:43:12 PM8/12/02
A few more (maufacturers or importers):

Megow, Varney, Garco, Pioneer, DeVore, Baker, Ulrich, Cascade Pacific,
Red Ball, Kaw Valley, General Models, Marx, Midlin, PFM, Max Gray,
Alpha, International, Sattler's, Ken Kidder, Balboa, Westside, Troller,
Magnussen, Suydam (some of their buildings are still around) ... and
many, many more.

Dan Mitchell
==========

EBTBOB

Aug 12, 2002, 5:14:54 PM8/12/02
Varney

Stephen Foster

Aug 12, 2002, 6:46:11 PM8/12/02
Some of these companies products are now still avialable under other labels.

Some of the old Kemtron stuff still avialable from Precision Scale.

Herkimer is still in business but they call it OK..... they also make model
airplane engines.

Bowser has much of the Penn Line stuff.

Bowser also has a few of Varneys old steam loco kits.

The old plastic kits are still around from different mfg for the most part.

--
Keep your rails shiny!

Stephen

"If it ain't steam, it's a powered boxcar"

All Points North Model RR Club (Houston TX)
http://www.allpointsnorthmrrc.org
"Lunatickles" <Pixe...@cox.delete.net> wrote in message

Rick Jones

Aug 12, 2002, 6:55:22 PM8/12/02
Rathburne wrote:

> Silver Streak

Still around as a division of Ye Olde Huff 'N' Puff and being sold
under the Silver Streak name AFAIK.

--
Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me

Peter King

Aug 12, 2002, 6:57:19 PM8/12/02

"Andrew S. Miller" wrote:

> Some of these are re-rincarnated. See my annotations below.

Andy, model railroad company liniage is not always what it appears to
be!

> > E&B Valley --- became Eastern Car works

Nope. ECW now owns the molds for many of the E&B Valley cars, but that's
it. In fact, E&B Valley actually became:

> > Robin's Rails

Both owned by Bill Glass, AKA Bondo Billy, who used to frequent this
newsgroup. By the time E&B Became Robin's Rails, his main business had
become custom decorating cars, primarily for Bev Bel. E&B stood for
Ellen & Bill, Robin is their daughter. Bill has no connection to ECW.

> > AHM ---became IHC -

No direct link between the two. Bernie Paul, owner of AHM, sold out to
General Hobbies. GH later went belly up, and Bernie somehow got the
remnents of it, including a lot of the inventory, and most of the old
lines, too. But the current IHC is not a direct corporate successor to
AHM.

> became Model Expo -- changes name with every
> > backrupcy!

The ONLY connection between AHM, IHC and Model Expo is that they were
all at one time importers of Rivarossi! When IHC had some sort of
falling out with Rivarossi, Model Expo became the importer.

> > Alco Models (not brass but passenger cars) -- became E&B Valley

Again, no. I forget which came first. I THINK E&B, but Bill Glass had no
connection to Alco.

> --
> Regards,
>
> Andy Miller
> asmi...@mitre.org

Peter King in NY

--
Charles M. Schulz 1922 - 2000.
Cartoonist, artist, illustrator, philosopher, humanitarian.

Brian Paul Ehni

Aug 12, 2002, 8:34:12 PM8/12/02
Quality Craft is still with us, at least they have new product announced at
Walthers. "O" gauge only now, though.
Brian

On 8/12/02 9:51 AM, in article
7f2c0704.02081...@posting.google.com, "Rathburne"

Brian Paul Ehni

Aug 12, 2002, 8:34:51 PM8/12/02
Add Mantua to your list.
Brian

On 8/12/02 9:51 AM, in article
7f2c0704.02081...@posting.google.com, "Rathburne"

Brian Paul Ehni

Aug 12, 2002, 8:37:00 PM8/12/02
IHC IS NOT Model Expo!

Brian

On 8/12/02 11:18 AM, in article 3D57DFDB...@mitre.org, "Andrew S.

rathburne

Aug 12, 2002, 9:01:58 PM8/12/02
Is YOHAP still around?
I used to deal with them 20 years ago and know the shop is still open in
Pennsylvania, but did not think they were making kits?

Paul Tackowiak

Aug 12, 2002, 9:21:23 PM8/12/02
I think you can add Mantua to that list - or are they carrying on under
chapter 11?

Howard R. Garner

Aug 12, 2002, 9:17:21 PM8/12/02

More for the list.

Olympic Cascadian
Olympic Express
Scotia Scale Models
Lytler & Lytler
Timberline
Magnuson

EBTBOB

Aug 12, 2002, 9:38:28 PM8/12/02
Mantua is now under the umbrella of Model Power. On their website they have
announced the engines from Mantua that they plan to produce in 03. They
include the 2-6-6-2 and a 2-6-6-0. When I emailed them and asked them about
the 2-6-6-0, they did not respond to that question.

Bob

Jim Bernier

Aug 12, 2002, 9:47:48 PM8/12/02
Model Power has picked up the Mantua line.....

Richard Rex

Aug 12, 2002, 11:15:21 PM8/12/02

Recently a friend of mine gave me what was left of his father's train
collection. So I have boxes of old HO trains 40 or 50 yeard old in all
kinds of condition sitting in my livingroom. But here are a few
manufacturers that weren't listed, and they are complete kits.

The Model Builder's Supply Co., Duarte, Calif.
It's a "Wood Side Ore Car" kit, all wood.

Alexander Scale Models, Grand Rapids, Michigan
"Little Hook" The Industrial Brownhoist 10-Ton Pillar Crane
Well after looking inside the box, it is not a complete kit.

Ambroid
Yes it has been mentioned, but it is a "H O Gauge Watermelon Car

Kit" "Authentic A C L Prototype"

Just a list from what I see in these old boxes:
Star Hobby Products, Brooklyn, NY
"Two Flashing Electric Billboards" "Ready Built" $2.50

Dyna-Model Products Company,76 South Street, Oyster Bay, NY
"Plumbing Supply House" $3.50

The Cliff Line, 7301 Atall Avenue, No. Hollywood, California
Scale Models, Kit # TC-50 Depressed Center Flat Car,
Sprung Trucks, Transformer Load.
But there is a metal steam locomotive inside, in parts, inside
the box.

Laconia HO Gauge Car Kit, Laconia Industries, Franklin, N. H.
"Central Vermont Milk Reefer"
Box is empty

Hi-Ballers Corporation, 1817 W. Verdugo Ave. Burbank, Calif.
"Golden Eagle Fast ... can't read the rest. But inside the box is
another metal steam locomotive in parts.

Then a woman I used to date gave me her past husbands train stuff, all
Varney HO Model Trains. Quite a few cars and locomotives, but I have
no interest in these old models since tomorrow I am going to purchase
a Athearn, Genesis, SD-70-MAC locomotive for my undersized layout.

Dick Rex
NMRA, SER Division .

Michael Senchuk

Aug 13, 2002, 12:26:21 AM8/13/02
I believe Suydam is still around in a different incarnation - "Alpine" comes
to mind, but I could be wrong (and I'm sure I'll be told if I am).

--
Michael L. Senchuk
Chief Engineer, Reckless & Veiled Railroad

EBTBOB

Aug 13, 2002, 6:51:03 AM8/13/02
Richard,

I am curious. Do you still have the Varney stuff? I would be interested
in any boxcars or tank cars you might have.

Bob Rule, Jr.

A.W.Gonya

Aug 13, 2002, 11:05:34 AM8/13/02
Gloor Craft is still in Business.

Trainman

Aug 13, 2002, 12:38:49 PM8/13/02
Herkimer is still around. Revell doesn't make US HO anymore, but they do
sell European made plastic kits.

Silver Streak is now part of Ye Olde Huff 'n' Puff.

Just off the top of my head, a few adds to the list (some of the kits are
still around under other names.)

Varney
Penn Line
Binkley / Laconia
Mainline
Hobbyline
Ulrich (recently started up again)
Walthers (items that were actually MADE by Walthers, not the stuff today
that's "jobbed out")
American Beauty Lines.

Don

--
don.de...@prodigy.net
http://www.geocities.com/don_dellmann

Trainman

Aug 13, 2002, 12:41:36 PM8/13/02
The "Cannonball Car Shops" PS-1 Boxcar and steel reefer are the old Kurtz
Kraft dies.

Speaking of CCS brings to mind the many manufacturers of the "Red Ball"
line. (Howell Day, M. Dale Newton etc.)

Globe was originally a separate company based out of Chicago. The line
(including the venerable F-7) was sold to Athearn in the mid to late 1950's.

Don

Andrew S. Miller <asmi...@mitre.org> wrote in message

Trainman

Aug 13, 2002, 12:44:56 PM8/13/02

Peter King <fsh...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

Wasn't Bernie the original owner of Aristo Craft before it bacame AHM?

The original PRR P-70 coaches offered by Alco (as B&O cars as I recall)
became the E&B Valley ones. Whether Bill bought the dies from Alco or not I
don't know. They WERE the same kit though.

Trainman

Aug 13, 2002, 12:46:44 PM8/13/02

Michael Senchuk <mic...@qazam.com> wrote in message

Alpine does indeed have some of the old Suydam kits (after a short time as
"California Model Company".

A lot of people forget that BEFORE Suydam some of the kits were sold by
"Ayers" and "Tru-Scale".

Trainman

Aug 13, 2002, 12:54:31 PM8/13/02

Richard Rex <dpi...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Recently a friend of mine gave me what was left of his father's train
> collection. So I have boxes of old HO trains 40 or 50 yeard old in all
> kinds of condition sitting in my livingroom. But here are a few
> manufacturers that weren't listed, and they are complete kits.
>
> The Model Builder's Supply Co., Duarte, Calif.
> It's a "Wood Side Ore Car" kit, all wood.

Ed Suydam

> Alexander Scale Models, Grand Rapids, Michigan
> "Little Hook" The Industrial Brownhoist 10-Ton Pillar Crane
> Well after looking inside the box, it is not a complete kit.

Alexander is still around (at least as of a couple years ago)
I need one of the "little Hooks" right now AAMOF, there's a place on the
layout waiting for it.

> Ambroid
> Yes it has been mentioned, but it is a "H O Gauge Watermelon Car
>
> Kit" "Authentic A C L Prototype"

Ambroid kits were actually made by Northeastern. The entire "1 of 5000"
line was eventually reissued by Northeastern.

The entire "Heritage line" was eventually reissued by Quality Craft/Gloor
Craft.
(That's what first soured me on "imited runs"

> Just a list from what I see in these old boxes:
> Star Hobby Products, Brooklyn, NY
> "Two Flashing Electric Billboards" "Ready Built" $2.50

Star MAY have become Ideal, I'm not sure though (we're talking 48 years ago
here)

> Dyna-Model Products Company,76 South Street, Oyster Bay, NY
> "Plumbing Supply House" $3.50

I THINK Dyna Models is still around, they were in the mid 90's.

> The Cliff Line, 7301 Atall Avenue, No. Hollywood, California
> Scale Models, Kit # TC-50 Depressed Center Flat Car,
> Sprung Trucks, Transformer Load.
> But there is a metal steam locomotive inside, in parts, inside
> the box.

Some of the Cliff Line cars MAY have made it to the RedBall line.

> Laconia HO Gauge Car Kit, Laconia Industries, Franklin, N. H.
> "Central Vermont Milk Reefer"
> Box is empty

Laconia merged with Binkley sometime in the late 1950's.

> Hi-Ballers Corporation, 1817 W. Verdugo Ave. Burbank, Calif.
> "Golden Eagle Fast ... can't read the rest. But inside the box is
> another metal steam locomotive in parts.

That one I don't remember.

> Then a woman I used to date gave me her past husbands train stuff, all
> Varney HO Model Trains. Quite a few cars and locomotives, but I have
> no interest in these old models since tomorrow I am going to purchase
> a Athearn, Genesis, SD-70-MAC locomotive for my undersized layout.
>
> Dick Rex
> NMRA, SER Division .

So ship it here! I still USE a lot of that stuff.

PaulS178

Aug 13, 2002, 4:50:35 PM8/13/02
>> Manufacturers no longer around (I think). I am sure I am missing

It seems that there are a lot of you guys interested in the great old
manufactures. Have you heard of the "HO Scale Collectors and History", special
interest group? They cover all those manufactures with a quarterly magazine
and its inexpensive to. If anyone interested, e-mail me at: paul...@aol.com.

Hdgdn

Aug 13, 2002, 5:14:39 PM8/13/02
> Dyna-Model Products Company,76 South Street, Oyster Bay, NY
>> "Plumbing Supply House" $3.50
>
>I THINK Dyna Models is still around, they were in the mid 90's.

Is it the same Dyna Models of Sangerville Maine? If so, I think they are still
around but not very active, (sort of like me!)
James F. Hodgdon Jr.
Hodgdon Scale Models

Jeff Scarbrough

Aug 13, 2002, 6:23:26 PM8/13/02
On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:38:49 GMT, "Trainman"
<dom.de...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>Just off the top of my head, a few adds to the list (some of the kits are
>still around under other names.)

Besides Alco Models, there was Alco Engineering, of Decatur, Georgia.
They made brass freight car kits...

When I discovered their existence in an old issue of MR, I discovered
that we both had the same address! Apparently they operated out of
the basement of a house I later rented. No evidence of any leftover
brass when I lived there though...

Jeff Sc.
Non-Ferrous, Ga.

Fred Dabney

Aug 13, 2002, 8:05:00 PM8/13/02

> Besides Alco Models, there was Alco Engineering, of Decatur,
Georgia.
> They made brass freight car kits...

They had, for a time, the old Varney parts and kits. Life-Like
got most of the late ready to discard stuff, and then, later
Bowser got much of the line, along with Penn Line, Penn
Scale Models and still later Cal-Scale as well as some
other parts catalogs.

Fred D.

Peter King

Aug 13, 2002, 8:22:56 PM8/13/02

Trainman wrote:

stuff deleted...

> Wasn't Bernie the original owner of Aristo Craft before it bacame AHM?

I seem to recall some connection between him and Aristo, the old stuff
made by New One Models. But I'm a little fuzzy on that.

> The original PRR P-70 coaches offered by Alco (as B&O cars as I recall)
> became the E&B Valley ones. Whether Bill bought the dies from Alco or not I
> don't know. They WERE the same kit though.

As I said, I'm fuzzy on the order. E&B was active in the '80s. I THOUGHT
Alco lasted longer than that, but I'm not sure. You may well be right.
(Although I'm pretty sure you ARE right about the kits being the same.

> Don

Rick Jones

Aug 13, 2002, 9:46:50 PM8/13/02
rathburne wrote:

> Is YOHAP still around?
> I used to deal with them 20 years ago and know the shop is still open in
> Pennsylvania, but did not think they were making kits?

Don't know for sure. I think they were still listed in the last
Walther's catalog I bought a couple years back. It's in storage so I
can't pull it out to look.

Rick Jones

Aug 13, 2002, 9:57:38 PM8/13/02
Rathburne wrote:

> I was going through my boxes of old stuff trying to figure out what to
> do with it. I compiled an interesting list of former Model Train

> Manufacturers no longer around (I think). I am sure I am missing

> some......?

A couple that I own which haven't been mentioned yet-
Railmaster (not the same one that operates out of New Zealand; this one
was, I think, somewhere in Colorado)
Golden West Models (I have some reefers made by them)

Trainman

Aug 14, 2002, 2:18:13 AM8/14/02

Peter King <fsh...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

I seem to recall that when MR reviewed the E&B Valley Kits in "Trade Topics"
they mentioned that it was the same model previously released by Alco.

Of course then they went on to become "Easter Car Works". I don't know if
they're still around or not, I do have one of their streamlined pullmans in
my passenger train.

Bob Boudreau

Aug 14, 2002, 6:21:57 AM8/14/02
Trainman wrote:

> hat it was the same model previously released by Alco.
>
> Of course then they went on to become "Easter Car Works".

Wasn't that firm owned by Peter Rabbit?

:)

Bob Boudreau

Andy Harman

Aug 14, 2002, 9:16:59 AM8/14/02
On 12 Aug 2002 07:51:57 -0700, ffrat...@aol.com (Rathburne) wrote:

>I was going through my boxes of old stuff trying to figure out what to
>do with it. I compiled an interesting list of former Model Train
>Manufacturers no longer around (I think). I am sure I am missing
>some......?

Amazing though how many of the products are still around:

E&B Valley--> Robins Rails --> ConCor
E&B Valley--> Eastern Car Works
GSB-->Keystone
Front Range-->McKean-->SkyLim-->E&C Shops-->LBF-->infinity and beyond!
AHM(Rivarossi)-->Rivarossi-->Model Expo-->Walthers
AHM(Mehano)-->IHC
Mantua-->Tyco-->Mantua-->Model Power
Revell-->ConCor
Cox-->Walthers
Aurora-->Polar Lights
Alco Models--> Eastern Car Works

I can't speak to the wood kits, not sure who owns what there any more.

Andy
Please reply to aharman at hhcustom dot com
Visit the RPM Web Page at http://www.rpmrail.org
Or my personal site at http://www.hhcustom.com/nspmg

Bob Boudreau

Aug 14, 2002, 10:15:28 AM8/14/02
Andy Harman wrote:

> Front Range-->McKean-->SkyLim-->E&C Shops-->LBF-->infinity and beyond!

I was told recently that some of the Front Range freight car dies went to
Accurate Finishing who then became Accurail.

Bob Boudreau
Canada

Tom Brown

Aug 14, 2002, 1:16:41 PM8/14/02
"Trainman" <dom.de...@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:<UJa69.3960$3Q4....@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>...

> Michael Senchuk <mic...@qazam.com> wrote in message
> > I believe Suydam is still around in a different incarnation - "Alpine"
> comes
> > to mind, but I could be wrong (and I'm sure I'll be told if I am).
> >

> > --
> > Michael L. Senchuk
> > Chief Engineer, Reckless & Veiled Railroad
> > http://www.heatherandmichael.com/recklessandveiled/
> > mic...@qazam.com
> >

> Alpine does indeed have some of the old Suydam kits (after a short time as
> "California Model Company".
>
> A lot of people forget that BEFORE Suydam some of the kits were sold by
> "Ayers" and "Tru-Scale".
(Snip) and if I recall correctly true scale then some other outfit
sold what have become many of the Walthers Line of MOW Cars. Many,
but not all of them were initially True Scale. A lot of this stuff
winds up at walthers (as a current kit, or the ownership of the
remains whether or not on the market. Another example of this was the
BART models with the rare aluminum craft kit, which finally became the
current plastic kit. I was told once that when a rail hobby company
got hard up, they usually sold out what was left to walthers even if
they did not put the kits on line. I seem to recall that red ball went
that route, but it has been a long time.
Tom (Please no spam)

Trainman

Aug 14, 2002, 1:10:30 PM8/14/02

Bob Boudreau <"railfan "@ NO SPAM canada.com> wrote in message

50,000 comedians out of work............... <G>

rathburne

Aug 14, 2002, 5:30:37 PM8/14/02
Oh yeah, Train Minature, now Walthers....

Andy Harman

Aug 14, 2002, 7:37:57 PM8/14/02
<dom.de...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>Varney
>Penn Line
>Binkley / Laconia
>Mainline
>Hobbyline
>Ulrich (recently started up again)

Some of these older names almost have to be traced on a
product-by-product basis. Sort of like "What happened to the '61
Yankees" and document all the trades and where all the players went.
A good chunk (the chunky metal chunk) of Varney's product line went to
Bowser who apparently held it for years before re-releasing anything.
Some of it went to Life-Like, mainly the plastic stuff.

I've always wondered how many tools existed for the shorty passenger
cars. I've always had a soft spot for the heavyweight John English
pot metal cars. AFAIK the English/Hobbyline cars consisted of only a
coach and a combine. Penn Line seems to have cloned these cars in
plastic, and those cars may be the ancestors of the present cars in
the Life-Like toy line. Varney also had some similar cars but I've
never gotten my hands on any.

Andy Harman

Aug 14, 2002, 7:41:13 PM8/14/02
On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 22:23:26 GMT, cros...@charter.net (Jeff
Scarbrough) wrote:

> When I discovered their existence in an old issue of MR, I discovered
>that we both had the same address! Apparently they operated out of
>the basement of a house I later rented. No evidence of any leftover
>brass when I lived there though...

Well ok, here's a story: I ran into my older half-sister one time in
a restaurant. We aren't exactly close... don't hate each other but
don't have a lot to talk about either. I hadn't seen her for quite a
few years. Anyway, while talking to her in the restaurant I found out
she worked in the same building as I did... and we both had been
working in the same 4-story modest-sized building for at least two
years. Never saw each other in the whole time....

Stephen Foster

Aug 14, 2002, 8:02:16 PM8/14/02

> Oh yeah, Train Minature, now Walthers....

Only Walthers seldom runs these cars any more.... sigh....

--
Keep your rails shiny!

Stephen

"If it ain't steam, it's a powered boxcar"

All Points North Model RR Club (Houston TX)
http://www.allpointsnorthmrrc.org

Trainman

Aug 14, 2002, 8:57:15 PM8/14/02

Andy Harman <owata...@not.net> wrote in message

> On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:38:49 GMT, "Trainman"
> <dom.de...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
> >Varney
> >Penn Line
> >Binkley / Laconia
> >Mainline
> >Hobbyline
> >Ulrich (recently started up again)
>
> Some of these older names almost have to be traced on a
> product-by-product basis. Sort of like "What happened to the '61
> Yankees" and document all the trades and where all the players went.
> A good chunk (the chunky metal chunk) of Varney's product line went to
> Bowser who apparently held it for years before re-releasing anything.
> Some of it went to Life-Like, mainly the plastic stuff.
>
> I've always wondered how many tools existed for the shorty passenger
> cars. I've always had a soft spot for the heavyweight John English
> pot metal cars. AFAIK the English/Hobbyline cars consisted of only a
> coach and a combine. Penn Line seems to have cloned these cars in
> plastic, and those cars may be the ancestors of the present cars in
> the Life-Like toy line. Varney also had some similar cars but I've
> never gotten my hands on any.
>
> Andy

In plastic, the Varney cars were the Penn Line ones. That'how Life Like got
them.

On my layout however, there's still a couple of the original Varney
Cardstock & Wood 60' cars.

They seem to be patterned after the C&NW "Utility" cars (as offered by
Walthers), which would make sense as at the time (late 1940's) Varney was in
Chicago.

Trainman

Aug 14, 2002, 9:00:26 PM8/14/02

> On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 22:23:26 GMT, cros...@charter.net (Jeff
> Scarbrough) wrote:
>
> > When I discovered their existence in an old issue of MR, I discovered
> >that we both had the same address! Apparently they operated out of
> >the basement of a house I later rented. No evidence of any leftover
> >brass when I lived there though...
>
> Well ok, here's a story: I ran into my older half-sister one time in
> a restaurant. We aren't exactly close... don't hate each other but
> don't have a lot to talk about either. I hadn't seen her for quite a
> few years. Anyway, while talking to her in the restaurant I found out
> she worked in the same building as I did... and we both had been
> working in the same 4-story modest-sized building for at least two
> years. Never saw each other in the whole time....
>
> Andy

In college I dated a girl for four months before I found out she was "pen
pals" with my SISTER.

Another time Lexy and I rented a townhouse. AFTER we rented it, we found
out the landlord was her Uncle. (her aunt's first husband, whom most of the
family never knew she had even been married to.)

Tom Brown

Aug 14, 2002, 11:27:20 PM8/14/02
I wanted to mention that I keep the old Walthers Catalogs for
reference on this stuff, I think Ihave them back to about 1954 for HO
only.

The other interesting thing about these kits in the increase in prices
and the mutations over the years. I guess I outta get my 2001 and
2002 catalogs.

Tom

(Please no spam)

androoh&traceah

Aug 15, 2002, 8:37:33 AM8/15/02
ARISTOCRAFT?

Aredeer wrote:

> How about:
> Binkley Kemtron
> Laconia Akane
> Main Line MEW
> Arvid Anderson JC Silversides
> Northeast 410 M
> New One Dynamodel
> Aristocraft LMB
> Westside Howell Day
> Olympia/Gem Airfix
> Tenshodo Marnold
> Suydam? Is Campbell still around?
> Central Valley MB Austin
> House of 4 Winds Max Grey
> International Ken Kidder
> AHM Arbor
> Hallmark?
> Olympic Express Hobbyline
> Lindsay John English ( Bowser?)
> AC Gilbert Trains, Inc.
> American Beauty Train Miniature
>
> There are more, but I'm tired.

Trainman

Aug 15, 2002, 9:30:12 AM8/15/02

Tom Brown <ki...@eudoramail.com> wrote in message

I do the same thing, although mine are pretty much falling apart from
constant use over the years.
Mine only go back to to 1970 though (except for one from 1959, comb bound).

Trainchasr

Aug 15, 2002, 3:02:53 PM8/15/02