EMD BL2

Bobby Young Jr.

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
Hi all...

Does anyone know if any company makes a EMD BL2? Have they ever been
modeled? If so who makes them?

Thanks...

Bob Young Jr.
http://members.tripod.com/byoungjr

Charles F Seyferlich

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99

In HO AHM once made one and more recently Proto 2000 made one. The P2K
is the better one.

Paul Charland

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
Bob,

The Life Like BL-2 was and still may be available in B&M!!!

Paul

Demetre Argiro

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
Bobby Young Jr. wrote:

> Hi all...
>
> Does anyone know if any company makes a EMD BL2? Have they ever been
> modeled? If so who makes them?

Tough luck Kiddo. You shoulda' decided to come into the hobby sooner. BL2s
are out of production and NO! you can't get one. If you'd had any sense you
wouldn't have waited so long to get interested in trains and you wouldn't have
missed out. Life-Like made a fantastically beautiful BL2 many years ago at
the beginning of their Proto 2000 era. It's your fault that you missed it.
Everybody knew about it and the smart ones got theirs. If you want to be in
this hobby you better get on the ball and be quick about it or you'll get left
at the station again. Not that anybody cares. Model railroading is a dog eat
dog hobby these days. The sooner you realise that, the better. There's no
room here for wimps and crybabies. The manufacturers control your buying.
You don't have anything to say about it. They make what they want, when they
want. Either you line up and pay the price or else get lost. Somebody else
will take your place in line. The model makers are in business to make money.
Maybe you need to make more money. They don't care if you want a BL2. Next
time pay attention and pay up. You need to keep track of what's going on in
the industry, read the trades and follow announcements. In other words get
your head out of your ____!

There! I just thought I'd save some of you pro limited production types the
trouble of answering Bobby's question.
Anyone who agrees with what I wrote above is a total ass.
I already sent Bobby an Email telling him to expect this.

Bobby, the BL2 was made several years ago by Life-Like very early in the
evolution of their Proto 2000 line. It was a fine model. I have several but,
sadly, they are no longer available and there is no indication that they will
be re-run. You may get lucky if you work real hard and keep a sharp eye out.
There is a remote possibility that you may find one in a hobby shop, maybe
new, maybe used, or perhaps someone here may be willing to sell you one. I
wish you luck.

I am so glad you posted this message right smack in the middle of a raging
debate over limited production. You are an unwitting victim of that
mentality. You weren't here back then when the BL2 was made. You have come
into the hobby since that time. I have some bad news for you. It is extremely
likely that you will not be able to get a BL2. Life-Like has the molds,
therefore it is extremely unlikely that anyone else will go to the risk and
expense of making their own. At the same time Life-Like did not sell BL2s at
the speed they wanted and sort of got burned a little. As a result it is very
probable that they will never re-run the model. But, they might, so nobody
else will. You ever heard of Catch 22? Well you're caught in it with the
BL2. That's what happens with limited production.

Donald Lodge

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
In article <382C6399...@sympatico.ca>, p.charlieATsympaticoDOTca wrote:

>Bob,
>
>The Life Like BL-2 is still advertised as available by some of the hobby
shops that advertise in Model Railroader and Railroad Model Craftsman. Get
the latest issues of both and do some homework.

Happy hunting!

Don Lodge

Phil Rowe

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
There are 2 "undecorated" BL2's on Ebay at this time, 1 @ $39 and 1 2
$49.

If that helps any.

Phil Rowe

"Bobby Young Jr." wrote:

> Hi all...
>
> Does anyone know if any company makes a EMD BL2? Have they ever been
> modeled? If so who makes them?

Don Dellmann

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99

Bobby Young Jr. wrote in message <80hlo4$o8f$1...@autumn.news.rcn.net>...

>Hi all...
>
>Does anyone know if any company makes a EMD BL2? Have they ever been
>modeled? If so who makes them?

Life Like produced one a while back as part of their "Proto 2000" line.
(see a pic of one on my webpage,
http://www.geocities.com/don_dellmann/trains.html ) Also, back in the late
60's, and through the 70's, AHM imported a Rivarossi model, nowhere near as
nice, and a typical "cheap" drive, pizza cutter flanges and all.)

Brass models were also available from possibly more than one importer (the
only one I can document was "Custom Brass")

I don't know of any in current prodction, but you may be able to find one at
a swap meet or still in a dealer's stock. I got mine about three years ago,
a dealer had a number of them and was closing them out at $30 each. (They
sold new when introduced in 1992 for about $80-90).

Don't let anybody con you into paying "collector" prices though. Many
people are trying to "jack up" the prices of used equipment by claiming
theiy're "rare" or "collectable", when in reality, there are an awful lot of
them out there, so with some shopping, you should be able to find one at the
right price.

Don

Bobby Young Jr.

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
Stupid me...I'm looking for the BL2 in HO..

Thanks for all the good info so far...

JIMBEAR <rib...@home.com> wrote in message
> You don't mention what gauge you're looking for, but Brooklyn
> Locomotive Works has N scale Life Like BL2s in C&O, Rock
> Island, and Western Maryland for $19.95
>

> Bobby Young Jr. <byou...@rcn.com> wrote in message

> > Hi all...
> >
> > Does anyone know if any company makes a EMD BL2? Have they ever been
> > modeled? If so who makes them?

JIMBEAR

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99

Paul Charland

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
Hi Demetre,

I'm glad I read your entire post!!! I'm sure that finding a BL-2 is going to be
hard, but who knows what lurks in the depth of hobby shops that are off the beaten
path, the Shadow knows!!!

Paul

Demetre Argiro wrote:

> Bobby Young Jr. wrote:
> >
> > Hi all...
> >
> > Does anyone know if any company makes a EMD BL2? Have they ever been
> > modeled? If so who makes them?

Paul Charland

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
Hi JIMBEAR,

Who is Brooklyn Locomotive Works? I'm in N-scale!

Paul

JIMBEAR wrote:

> You don't mention what gauge you're looking for, but Brooklyn
> Locomotive Works has N scale Life Like BL2s in C&O, Rock
> Island, and Western Maryland for $19.95
>
> Bobby Young Jr. <byou...@rcn.com> wrote in message

> > Hi all...
> >
> > Does anyone know if any company makes a EMD BL2? Have they ever been
> > modeled? If so who makes them?

JIMBEAR

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
Sorry. I forgot to include the URL for Brooklyn
Locomotive Works. It's www.blwnscale.com

Demetre Argiro

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
Paul Charland wrote:
---- snip-----

Hey Paul, send me an Email with your address so I can talk to you. I keep
getting return to sender, fatal error through my Emailer.

john a dalton

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
"JIMBEAR" <rib...@home.com> wrote:

>You don't mention what gauge you're looking for, but Brooklyn
>Locomotive Works has N scale Life Like BL2s in C&O, Rock
>Island, and Western Maryland for $19.95

...Jim...THANKS !!! for the lead...just what i was looking for...
:))

...big john... :))

Bob Boudreau

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
I'm really amazed at some of the prices quoted in this thread for the
BL-2. As someone said there seems to be many around, even where I live
in eastern Canada, going for $35.00 or less. They never sold very well
and have been discounted since they were released; most people ignore
them.

I bought one when they first came out at a local craft/hobby shop for
$40.00 Canadian (that's a little over $20.00 in U.S. money nowadays).
This was their regular price, and not a sale. Unlike many modelers, I
have actually seen and photographed BL-2's at the Bangor & Aroostook
roundhouse at Northern Maine Junction, which is about 150 miles from
where I live, so the model means something to me.

The two units I have are lettered for the BAR, one of the very few
railroads that bought them. I won the second one in a model contest
where prizes are donated by local dealers. This is one way they dump
their unsold models like the BL-2. One was factory painted for the BAR
and the other I painted to match the unit I photographed. Wish there
would have been decals available for the unit on which they had
lettered "American Railfan"!

So I suggest keep on looking and don't consider paying some of the
outrageous prices for "collectors items".

--
Bob Boudreau
Saint John, N.B. Canada

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Paul Charland

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
Boston and Maine of course!!!

Paul

Andy Harman wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Nov 1999 13:18:59 -0500, "Bobby Young Jr."
> <byou...@rcn.com> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know if any company makes a EMD BL2? Have they ever been
> >modeled? If so who makes them?
>

> Any particular road name?
>
> Andy
> Please reply to aharman at hhcustom dot com
> Visit the RPM Web Page at http://www.rpmrail.org
> Or my personal site at http://www.hhcustom.com/nspmg

nos...@nospam.com

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
In article <80iph8$gmc$1...@autumn.news.rcn.net>, Bobby Young Jr. <byou...@rcn.com> reshaped the electrons to say:

> Stupid me...I'm looking for the BL2 in HO..

> Thanks for all the good info so far...

Go to shows, you should be able to find one there. They were still pretty
common at some shows a few years ago, and in fact, I think our local hobby
shop even has one (they did about a month ago)

Fred

Bill Hirt

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
"Bobby Young Jr." wrote:

> Stupid me...I'm looking for the BL2 in HO..

Try Zientek's Trains in Chicago (check the Hobby Shop list for their phone
number). When I was there this spring, they had BL2's, GP18's and FA2's.
They also had Kato GP35s and NW2s in the original paint schemes. They also
had a bunch of the original Stewart runs. No credit cards though.

Bill

S C Sillato

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
Bob Boudreau (arai...@my-deja.com) wrote:
: I'm really amazed at some of the prices quoted in this thread for the

: BL-2. As someone said there seems to be many around, even where I live
: in eastern Canada, going for $35.00 or less. They never sold very well
: and have been discounted since they were released; most people ignore
: them.

Many of us bought them at closeout sales for $19.95(US) and stripped the
drives out of them for use in repowering Athearns. I sold all my shells
and frames for $10. Good deal for those who liked BL2's and I get a
repower kit for under $10.

: So I suggest keep on looking and don't consider paying some of the

: outrageous prices for "collectors items".

If I would have known people would pay $50 for some of the roadnames I
would have bought more. I still see them at train shows for $30 to $40.
--
Steve Sillato NYC, LV, GBW & ALCo fan
Forty is the old age of youth, fifty the youth of old age.

S C Sillato

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
Paul Charland (p.ch...@sympatico.ca) wrote:
: Hi Demetre,

: I'm glad I read your entire post!!! I'm sure that finding a BL-2 is going to be
: hard, but who knows what lurks in the depth of hobby shops that are off the beaten
: path, the Shadow knows!!!

Hard? Depends on your definition. Or how much you want to spend. There
are at least 2 or 3 listed on Ebay every week. Every train show I've been
to this year has had at least a couple.

Yes, you might not find them at your local store, but I'll bet your local
store doesn't have 90% of what is shown or advertised in the latest issue
of Model Railroader. This is not an easy hobby when it comes to getting
everything you want. But, that's life, enjoy what you can and don't worry
about the rest....<g>

john a dalton

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99

...ah, the bootiful BL2...i have 18 of'em, thanks to Steve Sillato...
:))

...and 12 GP-18's, too... :))

...THANKS !!!, Steve... :))

...big john... :))

Chuck/Cynthia

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99

"Bobby Young Jr." wrote:

> Hi all...
>

> Does anyone know if any company makes a EMD BL2? Have they ever been
> modeled? If so who makes them?
>

> Thanks...
>
> Bob Young Jr.
> http://members.tripod.com/byoungjr

AHM imported one but I wouldn't consider it worth looking
at train shows to find.
The P2K model (limited release of course) is a much better
model although not quite up to their more recent releases.
Pretty much gone from the shelves but sometimes found used
or nearly new at swapmeets. Probably worth 25 to 40 $
depending on how badly you want it.

Chuck P.

Paul Charland

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
Nobody wanted the little guys when they were new, but I could sell 50 today if I had
them!!!!

Paul

Paul Charland

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
Had an AHM one back in the late '70's, terrible details cast on. Have to
be a real diehard BL-2 fan to look for one today!

Paul

DJunction

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
have a Rock Island BL2 Proto 2000 used
HO no box ex condition. $30.00 plus UPS
contect Stan Slade 716 385 5570 if
interested.

S C Sillato

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
john a dalton (jape...@mindspring.com) wrote:
: ssil...@gcfn.org (S C Sillato) wrote:

: >of Model Railroader. This is not an easy hobby when it comes to getting

: >everything you want. But, that's life, enjoy what you can and don't worry
: >about the rest....<g>
: >--
: >Steve Sillato NYC, LV, GBW & ALCo fan
: >Forty is the old age of youth, fifty the youth of old age.

: ...ah, the bootiful BL2...i have 18 of'em, thanks to Steve Sillato...
: :))

: ...and 12 GP-18's, too... :))

: ...THANKS !!!, Steve... :))

Geez John, I remember sending you some LL FA2 carcasses but I don't
remember BL2's...????

Bill

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
Paul:

Brooklyn Locomotive Works does N Scale. A lot of it Peter Postel is the
owner. They have been in business over 20 years. Never heard a bad word
said. I've been dealing with the since 1991. A really good mail order
firm and good prices. They have a monthly 32 page newsletter and a mail
order auction, Legacy Locomotives, BLW exclusive freight cars and
building kits, and more! They adverise in N Scale magazine. Here's the
url:
sa...@blw.com

Bill
My N Scale Page:
http://www.geocities.com/billsralroad/

Ian Stradling

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
In article <382C9A16...@mindspring.com>, Demetre Argiro
<argi...@mindspring.com> writes

>Bobby Young Jr. wrote:
>>
>> Hi all...
>>
>> Does anyone know if any company makes a EMD BL2? Have they ever been
>> modeled? If so who makes them?
>
>Tough luck Kiddo. You shoulda' decided to come into the hobby sooner. BL2s
>are out of production and NO! you can't get one. If you'd had any sense you
>wouldn't have waited so long to get interested in trains and you wouldn't have
>missed out.

Well now, isn't that a fantastically well reasoned way to welcome people
to the hobby?

Hey it's your fault your favorite engine isn't available.

Am I alone in finding this concept rather repulsive?
Despite your note that you had informed the original poster by E-mail, I
find your attitude rather inappropriate for a forum that would have new,
young modellers who might also be looking for a BL2 reading it. We have
to encourage these people to search for what they want, not just tell
them 'tough you're not old enough to own one'.

Quite simply, not everyone has the choice to buy at the time of release
and a collection of one of everything by P2K just in case I want it
later would be rather expensive. Not everyone was born at the right
moment to have the disposable income to purchase at the time. People
change interests with time. That covers just two reasons why someone
might want something now they didn't buy ten years ago.

>Everybody knew about it and the smart ones got theirs.

Why? They hung around for much longer than current P2K products do.

>room here for wimps and crybabies. The manufacturers control your buying.
>You don't have anything to say about it. They make what they want, when they
>want.

This is simply an untruth.

There are many factors that affect the choice of prototypes by the
manufacturers. If they get it wrong they will lose huge amounts of
money and be stuck with inventory. The manufacturers do market research
into what is likely to sell, then they produce it. Maybe you are giving
them control of what you buy by not telling them what you would like?

>Bobby, the BL2 was made several years ago by Life-Like very early in the
>evolution of their Proto 2000 line. It was a fine model.

There's the second hand market, that manages to turn up anything I want,
often at a reasonable price at which I am prepared to cut and detail the
shell.... Also, a regular check of e-bay will probably produce one at
some point, just watch the price, don't pay too much.

Maybe someday P2K will re-run the BL2, but it really does have quite a
limited market appeal, unlike the GP series units which have survived to
many hundreds of railroads and paint schemes from coast to coast. I
suspect they would sell faster if another run was done, as when the
originals came out most of us expected a 'Life-Like' model (where the
motor drives the gear around the axle as the unit remains stationary),
so we didn't buy one. I finally bought mine about two years ago.

Finally, I do agree that the limited production concept has been taken
to extremes by P2K on their recent releases. I know why they are
running to limited production, but their production runs have been
seriously short on some models. They also seem to have developed a
annoying habit of producing two road numbers for one road in the same
batch. Would seem better to re-run the scheme with a different road
number in a later batch.

Now, please can we continue as reasonable adults around here.
Manufacturers are unlikely to take you seriously if you just rant and
rave at them.
If you want a re-run, collect together a firm order then go to the
manufacturer and say we want to buy $$$$ of this unit. If the numbers
are right, they might go for it.
If you think they're under-running production and you have genuinely
missed out because of it, write to them saying "I was unable to obtain X
because my model store was told you were out of stock, but you
advertised it in this months' M.R."

They like your money, they don't like missing getting it. They certainly
wouldn't be keen on having the magazine printing your letter, as I'm
sure the publishers have a policy on advertisements that will deal with
people advertising things they can't supply.

Being polite costs nothing.
--
Ian Stradling
r...@faradawn.demon.co.uk

Bill

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
Now I've given the e-mail address instead of the URL for Brooklyn
Locomotive Works! This is the url (I promise!):
http://blwnscale.com

Bill
My N Scale Page:

http://www.geocities.com/billsrailroad/

Bill

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
Yikes!

I put an incomplete ur for Brooklyn Locomotive Works on my reply. Here
it is again:
sa...@blwnscale.com

Sorry!

Bill

Alan Arthur

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
BL-2s by AHM turn up on ebay auction pretty often and less often the
ones by P2K. The P2K one may have the problem of cracked axle gears as
have 2 of mine but it's an easy fix with Athearn wheelsets.

Paul Charland

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
Really need to change out both truck as the P2K model had Blomberg M trucks
instead of the correct B type, still Athearn trucks though.

Paul

Jack Mason

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
Saw one at Valley Model Trains in Wappingers Falls, NY
914-297-7511 but it was a steep $99 so I passed. Saw ont at
Bellows Falls VT. at the GREEN MT. RR gift shop several years
ago, they might still have it (that was $65, passed on that one too).

Loose Caboose in Bogota, NJ had several BL2's a couple of months ago
at $60 but I understand he may let them go for less. 201-342-8880.

Good Luck,
Jack

Paul Charland <p.ch...@sympatico.ca> wrote in article
<382D5D92...@sympatico.ca>...

> Boston and Maine of course!!!
>
> Paul
>
> Andy Harman wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 12 Nov 1999 13:18:59 -0500, "Bobby Young Jr."
> > <byou...@rcn.com> wrote:
> >

> > >Does anyone know if any company makes a EMD BL2? Have they ever been
> > >modeled? If so who makes them?

Don Dellmann

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99

Alan Arthur wrote in message
<8776-382...@storefull-121.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

BL-2s by AHM turn up on ebay auction pretty often and less often the
ones by P2K. The P2K one may have the problem of cracked axle gears as
have 2 of mine but it's an easy fix with Athearn wheelsets.

Is that what causes a slight "bucking" when working hard on an upgrade? If
so, I'm FGLAD to know Athern parts will fit.

Don

Don Dellmann

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99

nos...@nospam.com wrote in message <80j5n2$72n$1...@news.wmich.edu>...

>In article <80iph8$gmc$1...@autumn.news.rcn.net>, Bobby Young Jr.
<byou...@rcn.com> reshaped the electrons to say:
>> Stupid me...I'm looking for the BL2 in HO..
>
>> Thanks for all the good info so far...
>
>Go to shows, you should be able to find one there. They were still pretty
>common at some shows a few years ago, and in fact, I think our local hobby
>shop even has one (they did about a month ago)

HOBBYTOWN OF BOSTON! TODAY!!!!! at their display at Milwaukee's "Trainfest"
had a LARGE NUMBER of BL-2's, "P-2000" shells on HOBBYTOWN drives, $100 a
pop. How many should I pick up for you tomorrow? :-)

Don

P.S., SAME BOOTH! About the same price, drive and nice Polyester resin
body, Baldwin BP-20 A's, AND wasn't it just yesterday in this newsgroup
that somebody said they'd never see a Plastic DL-109 in HO?

Don

Don Dellmann

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99

Jack Mason wrote in message <01bf2e32$4d0244a0$45452cd8@jack>...

>Saw one at Valley Model Trains in Wappingers Falls, NY
>914-297-7511 but it was a steep $99 so I passed. Saw ont at
>Bellows Falls VT. at the GREEN MT. RR gift shop several years
>ago, they might still have it (that was $65, passed on that one too).

I just posted another message to this effect, but $99 (actually $100) FULL
LIST will get you one brand new from Hobbytown Of Boston on a HOBBYTOWN
drive! (Old timers in HO will know what I mean).

They're at TRAINFEST this weekend, have about a dozen on display.

dON

Paul Charland

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
$99 for a BL-2! I have one, ok it's HO not N! I only paid $30 Canadian for
the one I have! Someone trying to retire on BL-2's! Even $65 in the Falls is
a bit steep, but then they are running a gift shop (tourists!).

Paul

Jack Mason wrote:

> Saw one at Valley Model Trains in Wappingers Falls, NY
> 914-297-7511 but it was a steep $99 so I passed. Saw ont at
> Bellows Falls VT. at the GREEN MT. RR gift shop several years
> ago, they might still have it (that was $65, passed on that one too).

Paul Charland

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
Hi Ian,

Don't know if you received or read Demetre's entire post! First half was for
someone else's benifit, second half explains it, and also lets us all know that he
e-mailed Bob directly before posting!

Paul

Ian Stradling wrote:

> In article <382C9A16...@mindspring.com>, Demetre Argiro
> <argi...@mindspring.com> writes
> >Bobby Young Jr. wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all...
> >>

> >> Does anyone know if any company makes a EMD BL2? Have they ever been
> >> modeled? If so who makes them?

Demetre Argiro

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
to Don Dellmann
> HOBBYTOWN OF BOSTON! TODAY!!!!! at their display at Milwaukee's "Trainfest"
> had a LARGE NUMBER of BL-2's, "P-2000" shells on HOBBYTOWN drives, $100 a
> pop. How many should I pick up for you tomorrow? :-)

Now, If they can just keep the supply of shells. Their drive is one of the
best in the world. Smoother than a con-man's speil and tougher than a Waffle
House T-Bone. I have some that are as old as I am and are in perfect condition.

> P.S., SAME BOOTH! About the same price, drive and nice Polyester resin
> body, Baldwin BP-20 A's, AND wasn't it just yesterday in this newsgroup
> that somebody said they'd never see a Plastic DL-109 in HO?

Yeah, that was me, but you're paraphrasing out of context. Hobbytown has a
resin shell that I haven't seen, but which I've been told isn't too hot, that
runs on their PA1 chassis. Mark Castiglione at Branford Hobbies has a DL 109,
also in resin, that sits on a modified Athearn mechanism. I have it and it's
real darn good. It's also real darn pricey too, but worth it if you want a
really good custom made piece. Sorta like brass, only in resin. My remark
dates to 1995 at the NMRA Atlanta convention. I asked about the possibility of
a Proto 2000 DL109. A "high placed source" at Life-Like responded "Never!"
To which I replied, "So, when Hell freezes over, huh?" to which he responded,
"Not even then."

john a dalton

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
ssil...@gcfn.org (S C Sillato) wrote:

>john a dalton (jape...@mindspring.com) wrote:
>: ssil...@gcfn.org (S C Sillato) wrote:
>
>: >of Model Railroader. This is not an easy hobby when it comes to getting
>: >everything you want. But, that's life, enjoy what you can and don't worry
>: >about the rest....<g>
>: >--
>: >Steve Sillato NYC, LV, GBW & ALCo fan
>: >Forty is the old age of youth, fifty the youth of old age.
>
>: ...ah, the bootiful BL2...i have 18 of'em, thanks to Steve Sillato...
>: :))
>
>: ...and 12 GP-18's, too... :))
>
>: ...THANKS !!!, Steve... :))
>
>Geez John, I remember sending you some LL FA2 carcasses but I don't
>remember BL2's...????
>--
>Steve Sillato

...no, no, perhaps i should explain further...you ENCOURAGED me and
EDUCATED me about the possibilities of BL2 and GP-18 ownership..."from
tiny acorns big oaks grow"... :))

...by the by, the FA2 shells i bought from you, the ConCor SP Daylight
fantasy schemes, now glide smoothly around my layout...they wake up
everybody in ZENIVILLE, at dawn every morning, to the tune of
"Daylight Comes But Once A Day"... :))

...thanks again, Steve...big john... :))

Andy Harman

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
On Sat, 13 Nov 1999 23:41:28 -0600, "Don Dellmann"
<dom.de...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>P.S., SAME BOOTH! About the same price, drive and nice Polyester resin
>body, Baldwin BP-20 A's, AND wasn't it just yesterday in this newsgroup
>that somebody said they'd never see a Plastic DL-109 in HO?

I saw those at the Division 3 show last week in Dayton. They have got
to be the worst looking shells I've seen in any kind of plastic,
resin, or whatever. Fred Becker could make a better shell with a bar
of soap and a butter knife. Resin models have come a long way since
the first crude ones... these folks need to get some serious lessons
from Mssrs. Westerfield, Lofton, and Holthaus (the guy who does
incredible 1/25 scale cars in resin which are often better than the
styrene stuff that is available).

JIMBEAR

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
I'll second that. I placed an order last Friday the 5th and it was
delivered on Tuesday the 9th. That's good service!
The on-line catalog is @: www.blwnscale.com

Bill <billsr...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> Paul:
>
> Brooklyn Locomotive Works does N Scale. A lot of it Peter Postel is the
> owner. They have been in business over 20 years. Never heard a bad word
> said. I've been dealing with the since 1991. A really good mail order
> firm and good prices. They have a monthly 32 page newsletter and a mail
> order auction, Legacy Locomotives, BLW exclusive freight cars and
> building kits, and more! They adverise in N Scale magazine. Here's the
> url:
> sa...@blw.com
>

> Bill
> My N Scale Page:

> http://www.geocities.com/billsralroad/

LAWRENCE B. PLATT

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99

In a previous article, ssil...@gcfn.org (S C Sillato) says:
>: ...ah, the bootiful BL2...i have 18 of'em, thanks to Steve Sillato...
>: :))
>
>: ...and 12 GP-18's, too... :))
>
>: ...THANKS !!!, Steve... :))
>
>Geez John, I remember sending you some LL FA2 carcasses but I don't
>remember BL2's...????

But Steve, don't you remember? You were telling everybody that Big John
wanted BL2 shells. I sent him two myself! I still have some undecs that
have never been out of the box, but I wouldn't let them go for what I paid,
even if I got accused of gouging 8^)!!

Larry
--
Lawrence B. Platt, aka "LB" email: pla...@aztec.asu.edu
Phoenix, Arizona

Peter King

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
It seems unlikely that P2K will rerun the BL-2 because of lack of
demand, but I wonder if they would consider putting them in one of their
sets? As early P2K models, they're really more P1K quality. They could
sell some in sets,a nd run a few more to sell singly. HMMMMMM.

Peter King in NY

Don Dellmann

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99

Demetre Argiro wrote in message <382E466C...@mindspring.com>...

>> HOBBYTOWN OF BOSTON! TODAY!!!!! at their display at Milwaukee's
"Trainfest"
>> had a LARGE NUMBER of BL-2's, "P-2000" shells on HOBBYTOWN drives, $100 a
>> pop. How many should I pick up for you tomorrow? :-)
>
>Now, If they can just keep the supply of shells. Their drive is one of the
>best in the world. Smoother than a con-man's speil and tougher than a
Waffle
>House T-Bone. I have some that are as old as I am and are in perfect
condition.

>> P.S., SAME BOOTH! About the same price, drive and nice Polyester resin
>> body, Baldwin BP-20 A's, AND wasn't it just yesterday in this newsgroup
>> that somebody said they'd never see a Plastic DL-109 in HO?
>
>Yeah, that was me, but you're paraphrasing out of context. Hobbytown has a
>resin shell that I haven't seen, but which I've been told isn't too hot,
that

I responded to Demetre via e-mail re: the paraphrase.

As far as the shells, I went back and looked at them again today. They're
not what you'd expect in a RTR model, but the basic body is there, and a
good looking model is easily obtainable without and really exotic modelling
skills. The trick is, they DO require some work to build, but after all,
isn't that what this hobby is about?

I got quite a chuckle out their EMD "BL-T" too. A center cab, 6 wheel truck
"transfer loco" (I didn't mention they also have the baldwin {or was it
Lima} centercab) with "BL-2" style hoods. I was informed however that EMD
did indeed catlog it in 1948/49, even though none were ever built.

Don

S C Sillato

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
LAWRENCE B. PLATT (pla...@aztec.asu.edu) wrote:

: In a previous article, ssil...@gcfn.org (S C Sillato) says:
: >: ...ah, the bootiful BL2...i have 18 of'em, thanks to Steve Sillato...
: >: :))
: >
: >: ...and 12 GP-18's, too... :))
: >
: >: ...THANKS !!!, Steve... :))
: >
: >Geez John, I remember sending you some LL FA2 carcasses but I don't
: >remember BL2's...????

: But Steve, don't you remember? You were telling everybody that Big John
: wanted BL2 shells. I sent him two myself! I still have some undecs that
: have never been out of the box, but I wouldn't let them go for what I paid,
: even if I got accused of gouging 8^)!!

: Larry

Heck, I'm suppossed to remember stuff that long ago?? I'm lucky if I can
remember what I had for breakfast! My daughter says I'm having a "senior
moment"; serves me right, I used to tease my dad about his memory lapses.
Looks like it runs in the family....<g>

Fred Dabney

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
>> BL-2s by AHM turn up on ebay auction pretty often and less often the
>> ones by P2K. The P2K one may have the problem of cracked axle gears as
>> have 2 of mine but it's an easy fix with Athearn wheelsets.
>
>> Is that what causes a slight "bucking" when working hard on an upgrade?
If
>> so, I'm FGLAD to know Athern parts will fit.
>
>I've got one that seems to be "out of round". You can kind of hear the
wheel
>"thump" while it's running. Would this also be that, or just a bad
wheelset?
>(I haven't taken it apart, and its currently packed away somewhere)
>
>Fred

A common problem with drives that have hollow axle gears that stub axles
attached
to the wheels insert into is the axle gears shrinking, splitting. If you
don't
want to take the engine apart to diagnose, try rotating the wheel in the
truck
with a thumb.

If the wheel can rotate, it's amost certainly split. It's usually cheap and
easy to fix. For the Life Like, it should be warranty and free- contact
them.
For Athearn, they cost about a buck and a half for six. They have them in
both
the version for the old outside bearing trucks, as well as for the newer
ones
with plastic sideframes.

Sometimes this causes bad, "lumpy" running. Other times, the engine seems
run ok but has no power, and if you try to clean wheels they just sit there
even though the motor is turning.

Fred D.

nos...@nospam.com

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
In article <80ligi$4n7q$1...@newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com>, Don Dellmann <dom.de...@prodigy.net> reshaped the electrons to say:

> Alan Arthur wrote in message
> <8776-382...@storefull-121.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

john a dalton

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
"JIMBEAR" <rib...@home.com> wrote:

>I'll second that. I placed an order last Friday the 5th and it was
>delivered on Tuesday the 9th. That's good service!
>The on-line catalog is @: www.blwnscale.com

...they sure have a nice website...i may get seriously into N after
looking at the pictures and prices... :))

...lawdy, lawdy, miss clawdy, where am i gonna put it all ?...i just
won $500 on the Georgia scratchoff lottery...i wonder how much of an N
layout i can do with it ?...engines and rolling stock and all ?...i
can do the scenery with DPM kits...hot dog !!!...

...anybody wanta do me a list of recommended stuff to buy for a good
basic N layout ?... :))

...THANKS !!!...big john... :))

...ps...i just noticed the last issue of MR had "N" printed all over
the cover...let's see now....hmmmm...this is fun... :))

john a dalton

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
pla...@aztec.asu.edu (LAWRENCE B. PLATT) wrote:

>In a previous article, ssil...@gcfn.org (S C Sillato) says:
>>: ...ah, the bootiful BL2...i have 18 of'em, thanks to Steve Sillato...
>>: :))
>>
>>: ...and 12 GP-18's, too... :))
>>
>>: ...THANKS !!!, Steve... :))
>>
>>Geez John, I remember sending you some LL FA2 carcasses but I don't
>>remember BL2's...????
>
>But Steve, don't you remember? You were telling everybody that Big John
>wanted BL2 shells. I sent him two myself! I still have some undecs that
>have never been out of the box, but I wouldn't let them go for what I paid,
>even if I got accused of gouging 8^)!!
>
>Larry

>--
>Lawrence B. Platt, aka "LB"

...HEY, LARRY !!!...gosh, they sure look good... :))

...thanks again !!!...big john... :))

john a dalton

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
ssil...@gcfn.org (S C Sillato) wrote:

>LAWRENCE B. PLATT (pla...@aztec.asu.edu) wrote:
>
>: In a previous article, ssil...@gcfn.org (S C Sillato) says:
>: >: ...ah, the bootiful BL2...i have 18 of'em, thanks to Steve Sillato...
>: >: :))
>: >
>: >: ...and 12 GP-18's, too... :))
>: >
>: >: ...THANKS !!!, Steve... :))
>: >
>: >Geez John, I remember sending you some LL FA2 carcasses but I don't
>: >remember BL2's...????
>
>: But Steve, don't you remember? You were telling everybody that Big John
>: wanted BL2 shells. I sent him two myself! I still have some undecs that
>: have never been out of the box, but I wouldn't let them go for what I paid,
>: even if I got accused of gouging 8^)!!
>
>: Larry
>

>Heck, I'm suppossed to remember stuff that long ago?? I'm lucky if I can
>remember what I had for breakfast! My daughter says I'm having a "senior
>moment"; serves me right, I used to tease my dad about his memory lapses.
>Looks like it runs in the family....<g>
>--
>Steve Sillato

...hey, this "short term memory lapse" is a scary business...i'm
experiencing it somewhat, as is Sweetie...i have to make notes about
everything...she's in the middle of building our new house, and when
the truck-full of whatever shows up unexpectedly, it scares her...then
she reads her notes and voila', there it is... :))

...but i can tell you, minute-by-minute, what happened August 14th,
1954... :))

...geez...big john... :))

Mountain Goat

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
On Sat, 13 Nov 1999 23:43:01 -0600, "Don Dellmann"
<dom.de...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>Alan Arthur wrote in message
><8776-382...@storefull-121.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...
>BL-2s by AHM turn up on ebay auction pretty often and less often the
>ones by P2K. The P2K one may have the problem of cracked axle gears as
>have 2 of mine but it's an easy fix with Athearn wheelsets.
>

>Is that what causes a slight "bucking" when working hard on an upgrade? If
>so, I'm FGLAD to know Athern parts will fit.

The cause and fix is the same as Athearn's, needs additional washers
on the end of the worm shaft on the top of the truck to take up the
excessive 'end play'. No surprise really LL took an Athearn GP-38-2
chassis to China and had them 'clone' it. That explains the Blomberg
'M' trucks on the BL-2 by the way. The LL engines usually suffer less
from this due to the tighter manufacturing tolerances.

S C Sillato

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
[...]

Short term loss, my a**! I can't remember stuff short, medium OR long
term!

All this from a guy who was accused of having a photographic memory in
high school. I used to be able to read a book and memorize everything I
needed to know. I never took notes, memorized everything written on the
blackboard. Had great comprehension when I read. Interestingly enough, I
hated memorizing poems, plays, etc. Couldn't stand it. Never would do
it; just plain ornery.<g>

Now, I read something and forget what I read 2 days later...<g> One nice
thing about it is that I can't hold a grudge anymore...I forget what made
me mad...<g>

C. Zeni

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99

I think he was pulling your leg on this - I fabricated the semi-original
BLT (see http://www.mindspring.com/~clzeni/leaguemodels.html it's about
2/3s down the page) several years ago. The Hobbytown fellow came to a
show here last year, I showed him my engine and fed him the line about
it being a non-production catalog item...he liked that.
--
Craig Zeni - REPLY TO -->> clzeni at mindspring dot com
http://www.mindspring.com/~clzeni/index.html

They can't break you if you don't have a spine...

Fritz Milhaupt

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
nos...@nospam.com wrote:

> I've got one that seems to be "out of round". You can kind of hear the wheel
> "thump" while it's running. Would this also be that, or just a bad wheelset?
> (I haven't taken it apart, and its currently packed away somewhere)

When I pulled my BL2 out of storage about a year ago, it had the same
symptoms. It was a split axle. While I had the loco apart, I replaced
the axle in the other truck too- all I had to do was dig a pair of
Athearn axles out of the parts and scrap box and press the wheels onto
them.

If I go ahead and change the focus of my planned layout from the Detroit
area to New Buffalo and north, I'll be needing that BL2 for teh LaCrosse
branch...

-fm
Webmaster of the Pere Marquette Historical Society Web site at:
http://www.rust.net/~milhaupt/pmhs/

If you feel compelled to contact me via e-mail, shoo away the "llama."
in the address shown in the header.

Asa Worcester

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
If anyone wants a plastic DL-109, FL-9 HH-660 or an EP-5, check out

www.newhaventerminal.com

Just saw them this past weekend at the New Haven Historical Society show and
they are terrific.

Regards,
Asa

>P.S., SAME BOOTH! About the same price, drive and nice Polyester resin
>body, Baldwin BP-20 A's, AND wasn't it just yesterday in this newsgroup
>that somebody said they'd never see a Plastic DL-109 in HO?
>

>Don

tshr...@my-deja.com

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
I think www.rrcrossing.com had several of them listed in HO. $35 or so
plus shipping.

I was looking for one also, but didn't like the prices. Found an AHM
shell that I can improve at a train show yesterday. Anybody know what
athearn frame this BL-2 shell might fit over with minimum modifications?

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Demetre Argiro

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
to tshr...@my-deja.com
tshr...@my-deja.com wrote:

>. . . . . Anybody know what

> athearn frame this BL-2 shell might fit over with minimum modifications?

None of them. The GP7 is probably your best bet. The F7 unit will work also
if you stretch it. It's not hard to do if you have a steady hand and a good
eye. An inexpensive set of Dial calipers would be an asset, but not a
necessity. You do need to know how to drill and tap as well as have a few
basic tools, but they are not hard to get. Figure out which way you want to
go and if you still want some help eMail me and we'll talk about it. I've
modified Athearn mechanisms to fit under all kinds of non-Athearn shells as
well as dozens of kitbashes. It's something I like to do.

David Thuss

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
john a dalton wrote:

> ...but i can tell you, minute-by-minute, what happened August 14th,
> 1954... :))
>
> ...geez...big john... :))

August 14th, 1954: West Wildwood New Jersey summer house. Waiting for dad to
arrive from work in the city on the 5:58. I was great to watch the Pennsylvania &
Reading Seashore Lines steamers rumbling across the bascule bridge and into the
station every evening. It was right around that time that we started to see RDC
cars on the commuter runs...and less steam. It was a long time ago, but when I
close my eyes I can still smell the smoke and feel the ground rumble.

--
Dave

It's all an illusion! (Henning)

Ken Freeman

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
to S C Sillato
My daughter says I'm having a "senior
> moment"; serves me right, I used to tease my dad about his memory lapses.
> Looks like it runs in the family....<g>
> --
You mean like those "memory lapses" that your Uncle Nunzio used to have
whenever he was being "interviewed" by the local constabulary?
"I doan remembah"

Demetre Argiro

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
to Andy Harman
Andy Harman wrote:
> . . . . . . . .
> For far less money than any drive solution for the AHM shell, one can
> obtain a complete P2K loco.

True, but that's not what he wanted to know. I assume he already knows that.
Maybe he wants to DO it...... just because. If all Todd wants is a BL2 then,
most certainly, that is the way to go. You are 100% correct. As usual, I
might add. But it could be that he has a higher motive. We have certainly
established here that we all don't enjoy the hobby the same way. It sounds
like a "fun" project to me. One that will go a long way toward providing a
chance to learn how to DO it instead of where to buy it. Next time he may
want to make something that can't be bought for any amount. He will know how.

If I give you a fish, you have a meal.
If I teach you how to fish, you can feed yourself forever.

I wish I'd said that!

Andy Harman

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 15:51:51 -0400, Demetre Argiro
<argi...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>>. . . . . Anybody know what
>> athearn frame this BL-2 shell might fit over with minimum modifications?
>
>None of them. The GP7 is probably your best bet. The F7 unit will work also
>if you stretch it.

Actually.... the wheelbase on the P2K BL2 is even longer than a
GP38-2. I had thought they copied the drive entirely just changing
the frame/fuel tank, but the sideframes are an odd hybrid with no
prototype... not Blomberg M's, just double-class Blomberg-B's with a
strut on one side and only one brake cylinder. Either way, a geep or
an F-unit drive is WAY too short for a BL-2, unless AHM's shell is
that far off!

For far less money than any drive solution for the AHM shell, one can
obtain a complete P2K loco.

Andy

Andy Harman

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 22:26:05 -0400, Demetre Argiro
<argi...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>> For far less money than any drive solution for the AHM shell, one can
>> obtain a complete P2K loco.
>

>True, but that's not what he wanted to know.

True, and you just clipped that last line, not the part above it (4x
as much text) which _did_ tell him what he wanted to know.

>If I give you a fish, you have a meal.
>If I teach you how to fish, you can feed yourself forever.

And you've got competition down at the lake :-)

William Banaszak

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
tshr...@my-deja.com wrote:

> I think www.rrcrossing.com had several of them listed in HO. $35 or so
> plus shipping.
>
> I was looking for one also, but didn't like the prices. Found an AHM
> shell that I can improve at a train show yesterday. Anybody know what

> athearn frame this BL-2 shell might fit over with minimum modifications?
>
> Thanks
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I used a Athearn GE U-Boat "B" chassis and replaced the truck frames
with Blomberg types.

Bill Banaszak

S C Sillato

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
Ken Freeman (kfre...@netacc.net) wrote:
: My daughter says I'm having a "senior

Ummmm.... Could be. Forgot all about Nunzio...wonder wher he is now?<g>

Frank A. Rosenbaum

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
August 14th, 1954? Well I was 1year, 3 months and 9 days old. What do you
want to know?
--
From Frank
New Email: faros...@earthlink.net
S C Sillato wrote in message <80p1sm$9...@acme.freenet.columbus.oh.us>...

Peter King

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
> On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 15:51:51 -0400, Demetre Argiro
> <argi...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >>. . . . . Anybody know what

> >> athearn frame this BL-2 shell might fit over with minimum modifications?
> >
> >None of them. The GP7 is probably your best bet. The F7 unit will work also
> >if you stretch it.

I find this kind of funny. A year ago, everyone was snarfing up every
$20 BL-2 they could find, to strip its innards to put into Athearns. Now
there's a ton of BL-2 shells out there, people are going to be looking
for cheap Athearn mechanisms to put under them.

Can you imagine? What goes around DOES come around!

Peter King in NY

Andy Harman

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 19:23:41 -0500, Peter King <fsh...@prodigy.net>
wrote:

>I find this kind of funny. A year ago, everyone was snarfing up every
>$20 BL-2 they could find, to strip its innards to put into Athearns. Now
>there's a ton of BL-2 shells out there, people are going to be looking
>for cheap Athearn mechanisms to put under them.
>
>Can you imagine? What goes around DOES come around!

Well maybe in another few years railfans will be ripping the
Fairbanks-Morse OP prime movers out of tugboats to put back into the
locomotives sitting empty in museums. Hey, I understand the original
Deltic is back in operation in the U.K.... after haveing been walled
into a museum at one point. Now there must be an interesting sound -
a 3-crank, triple O-P engine.

Rusty Keeney

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 16:50:33 GMT, tshr...@my-deja.com wrote:

>I think www.rrcrossing.com had several of them listed in HO. $35 or so
>plus shipping.
>
>I was looking for one also, but didn't like the prices. Found an AHM

>shell that I can improve at a train show yesterday. Anybody know what

>athearn frame this BL-2 shell might fit over with minimum modifications?
>

>Thanks

Don't think it'll fit on an Athearn (maybe a GP38-2), but I've got two
on Atlas G40 chasses.

Fritz Milhaupt

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99

When I performed my AHM BL2 rebuild a few years back, I used a modified
Athearn 4-axle U-boat frame. I cut the ends off and body-mounted the
couplers. I may have had to grind down the sides of the fuel tank a bit.

The body got new fans, exhaust stacks, headlights, a steam generator
exhaust stack, grabs, handrails, and completely new pilots with MU and
steam generator hoses.

I think teh paint was barely dry when P2K brought out their BL2...

C. Zeni

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
Andy Harman wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 19:23:41 -0500, Peter King <fsh...@prodigy.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I find this kind of funny. A year ago, everyone was snarfing up every
> >$20 BL-2 they could find, to strip its innards to put into Athearns. Now
> >there's a ton of BL-2 shells out there, people are going to be looking
> >for cheap Athearn mechanisms to put under them.
> >
> >Can you imagine? What goes around DOES come around!
>
> Well maybe in another few years railfans will be ripping the
> Fairbanks-Morse OP prime movers out of tugboats to put back into the
> locomotives sitting empty in museums. Hey, I understand the original
> Deltic is back in operation in the U.K.... after haveing been walled
> into a museum at one point. Now there must be an interesting sound -
> a 3-crank, triple O-P engine.

The original Deltic, "Deltic", is not running but was moved to a new
display site. However, there are a couple of later deltics being used
in regular mainline service by Virgin, as I recall. Haven't hit
uk.railways of late, though.

I have a wav clip of an accelerating deltic. Sounds very deep and
throaty, without any thumpa thumpa at all.

--
Craig Zeni - REPLY TO -->> clzeni at mindspring dot com
http://www.mindspring.com/~clzeni/index.html

In dog years, I'm dead.

Fred Dabney

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
>When I performed my AHM BL2 rebuild a few years back, I used a modified
>Athearn 4-axle U-boat frame. I cut the ends off and body-mounted the
>couplers. I may have had to grind down the sides of the fuel tank a bit.
>
>The body got new fans, exhaust stacks, headlights, a steam generator
>exhaust stack, grabs, handrails, and completely new pilots with MU and
>steam generator hoses.
>
>I think teh paint was barely dry when P2K brought out their BL2...

I've always wondered who to thank. I didn't think it was because someone
at LL liked me, and I'd given up aspirations of making anything of my
old AHM clunker.

Fred D.

Demetre Argiro

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
to Fred Dabney
Fred Dabney wrote:

> >When I performed my AHM BL2 rebuild. . .I think the paint was barely dry when P2K brought out their BL2...

I've decided that the totally sure-fire way to get a manufacturer to make a
model is to salvage and rebuild an AHM, or other, clunker. Right after I
spent $$$$$ and Kilohours kitbashing the FM C-Liner into an A-B-A CPA/B24-5
set, taking mucho pictures and keeping copious notes, Model Railroader
published a how-to article from somebody else and Life-Like announced.
What the Hell!!!!
I think I'll scratchbuild an Alco DL109, or mebbe a Baldwin DR6-4-1500. No,
wait, I know- an Ingalls 4S. Yeah, that's it a 4S. Ha ha ha, now what did I
do with all those old Penn-Line passenger cars. . . . . . . .

CT

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
> I think I'll scratchbuild an Alco DL109, or mebbe a Baldwin DR6-4-1500.
No,
> wait, I know- an Ingalls 4S. Yeah, that's it a 4S.

You DO know that the 4S will be soon?

Christian is always redundant
Brockport, NY

Don Dellmann

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99

Demetre Argiro wrote in message <383342C0...@mindspring.com>...

>Fred Dabney wrote:
>>
>> >When I performed my AHM BL2 rebuild. . .I think the paint was barely dry
when P2K brought out their BL2...

>I've decided that the totally sure-fire way to get a manufacturer to make a
>model is to salvage and rebuild an AHM, or other, clunker. Right after I
>spent $$$$$ and Kilohours kitbashing the FM C-Liner into an A-B-A CPA/B24-5
>set, taking mucho pictures and keeping copious notes, Model Railroader
>published a how-to article from somebody else and Life-Like announced.
>What the Hell!!!!
>I think I'll scratchbuild an Alco DL109, or mebbe a Baldwin DR6-4-1500. No,
>wait, I know- an Ingalls 4S. Yeah, that's it a 4S. Ha ha ha, now what did
>do with all those old Penn-Line passenger cars. . . . . . .

Believe it or not, there IS an Ingalls body available in resin. I can't
think of the guy's name right now, but I'll post it when I do. I'm trying
to track it down again, he's here near Milwaukee, I want to post it for the
thread on "HO ship models" because he also has an HO version of a Great
Lakes Bulk Carrier, specifically the "Edmund Fitzgerald" of Gordon
Lightfoot's song fame.. .

Don

S C Sillato

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
: > I think I'll scratchbuild an Alco DL109, or mebbe a Baldwin DR6-4-1500.

: No,
: > wait, I know- an Ingalls 4S. Yeah, that's it a 4S.

It's been done. Saw a scratchbuilt one at a show last year. Fellow was
selling a friends stuff. The modeler hadn't fitted a drive but the shell
was pretty complete. Not a bad job. Almost bought it as a curiousity,
but forgot about it and left the show without it. Remembered it when I
was halfway home. If I ever see it again it's coming home with me.<g>

Andy Harman

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
On Wed, 17 Nov 1999 20:38:21 -0500, "CT" <ctuc...@rochester.rr.com>
wrote:

>You DO know that the 4S will be soon?

Yeah but its just the B-unit....

Fritz Milhaupt

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99

Well, that project _is_ the one I mention when someone asks me what I
mean when I refer to "Dabney's Corollary of Murphy's Law"...

Fritz Milhaupt

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
Andy Harman wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 1999 20:38:21 -0500, "CT" <ctuc...@rochester.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
> >You DO know that the 4S will be soon?
>
> Yeah but its just the B-unit....

And the 4S B unit would be the only thing on wheels that would look
stranger than a BL2 B unit. The BL2 B unit would probably end up looking
like Jim Teese's "Southern" BL3, which looked like one of those
streamlined "butter dish" Borden's milk cars.

C. Zeni

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
Fritz Milhaupt wrote:

> Andy Harman wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 17 Nov 1999 20:38:21 -0500, "CT" <ctuc...@rochester.rr.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >You DO know that the 4S will be soon?
> >
> > Yeah but its just the B-unit....
>
> And the 4S B unit would be the only thing on wheels that would look
> stranger than a BL2 B unit. The BL2 B unit would probably end up looking
> like Jim Teese's "Southern" BL3, which looked like one of those
> streamlined "butter dish" Borden's milk cars.

Not this one:

http://www.mindspring.com/~clzeni/blt3.jpg

unless the butter's gone waaaay bad.

discussions of said beast on this list was Jim's inspiration for his...

Demetre Argiro

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
to Don Dellmann
Don Dellmann wrote:

> . . . . . he also has an HO version of a Great
> Lakes Bulk Carrier, specifically the "Edmund Fitzgerald". . . .

Let's see now......In HO scale that would be about the size of a Dodge Neon?
Should fit in very nicely on the average home layout:-)

piete...@my-deja.com

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
So there's a use for all those old AHM shells - providing the high short
hood ends for a fleet of Sou. BL-2 A-B-A lash ups!

Pieter

In article <3833FF...@mindspring.com>,

--
Pieter Roos
Visit my Railroad Home Page at:

piete...@my-deja.com

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
In article <8103ab$6at6$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>,
"Don Dellmann" <dom.de...@prodigy.net> wrote:
<SNIP>

> Believe it or not, there IS an Ingalls body available in resin. I
can't
> think of the guy's name right now, but I'll post it when I do. I'm
trying
> to track it down again, he's here near Milwaukee, I want to post it
for the
> thread on "HO ship models" because he also has an HO version of a
Great

> Lakes Bulk Carrier, specifically the "Edmund Fitzgerald" of Gordon
> Lightfoot's song fame.. .
>
> Don

An Ingalls? That info was posted at the beginning of the month... let's
see, (quick Deja.com search on "Ingalls")... there it is, from Bill
Wade, and I quote "Resin Unlimited web site -
http://www.resinunlimited.com/ Go to PRODUCTS - LOCOMOTIVE"

Pieter

Demetre Argiro

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
to S C Sillato
S C Sillato wrote:

> It's been done. Saw a scratchbuilt one at a show last year.

Oh, I've seen several over the years. I'm not trying to make a model that no
one else has ever made. Jack Castleberry, a fine modeler and master
scratchbuilder from Mobile Ala., (home of the 1900) built one in O scale out
of styrene over 20 years ago that even today rivals the finest brass. But if
<<< I >>> built one, it would take me six months and Athearn or Life-Like
would release a mass production one a week before I got the thing finished and
the first draft off to the publisher. It's happened before! So I figure
that's how I'll get multiple issues of models that I want really bad. It
seems to work for me.

Try it yourself. Who knows what will crawl out of the woodwork? .....Hmmmmmm
That Midwest unit that they made for the Burlington is gonna get on the list too.........

Demetre Argiro

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
Demetre Argiro wrote:

> Let's see now......In HO scale that would be about the size of a Dodge Neon?.....

Sorry group I seem to have made a computational error. It wouldn't be that
big. It would only be about as large as a Honda Aspencade. Sorry if I caused
anyone any alarm.

Erik Meltzer

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
Hi!

I'm new here, let me introduce myself... German H0 modeller,
era 3 (1950-65) Deutsche Bundesbahn.

Demetre Argiro wrote:
> <<< I >>> built one, it would take me six months and Athearn or Life-Like
> would release a mass production one a week before I got the thing finished and
> the first draft off to the publisher. It's happened before! So I figure
> that's how I'll get multiple issues of models that I want really bad. It
> seems to work for me.
> Try it yourself. Who knows what will crawl out of the woodwork? .....Hmmmmmm
> That Midwest unit that they made for the Burlington is gonna get on the list too.........

So it's not just me. Good. When I had everything together for
my Deutsche Bundesbahn class 78, and work could begin, a mass
production model was announced. Same for class 55 (same maker too).
I'm away from attempting to build locos now... focusing on goods
vans. Less danger of being counterfeited there ;-)

Yours,
Erik.
--
A smoking corner in a restaurant is akin
to a pissing corner in a swimming pool.

S C Sillato

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
Demetre Argiro (argi...@mindspring.com) wrote:

: S C Sillato wrote:
: >
[...]

Already done it. You all can thank me for the LL GP20. I started bashing
one out of a GP18 a year before the P2K GP20 was announced.

I'm about to start pulling the parts together for a C-430, any bets on
someone bringing one out in the next two years???<g>

Don Dellmann

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99

C. Zeni wrote in message <3833FF...@mindspring.com>...

>Fritz Milhaupt wrote:
>>
>> Andy Harman wrote:

>> > Yeah but its just the B-unit....
>>
>> And the 4S B unit would be the only thing on wheels that would look
>> stranger than a BL2 B unit. The BL2 B unit would probably end up looking
>> like Jim Teese's "Southern" BL3, which looked like one of those
>> streamlined "butter dish" Borden's milk cars.
>
>Not this one:
>
>http://www.mindspring.com/~clzeni/blt3.jpg

Looked at this picture, that is EXACTLY what "Hobbytown Of Boston" currently
offers in Resin as a "BLT"
(and I DON'T mean the sandwich <G>)

Don

Don Dellmann

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99

piete...@my-deja.com wrote in message <811daq$1v6$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

>In article <8103ab$6at6$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>,
> "Don Dellmann" <dom.de...@prodigy.net> wrote:
><SNIP>
>> Believe it or not, there IS an Ingalls body available in resin. I
>can't
>> think of the guy's name right now, but I'll post it when I do. I'm
>trying
>> to track it down again, he's here near Milwaukee, I want to post it
>for the
>> thread on "HO ship models" because he also has an HO version of a
>Great
>> Lakes Bulk Carrier, specifically the "Edmund Fitzgerald" of Gordon
>> Lightfoot's song fame.. .
>>
>> Don
>>

>An Ingalls? That info was posted at the beginning of the month... let's
>see, (quick Deja.com search on "Ingalls")... there it is, from Bill
>Wade, and I quote "Resin Unlimited web site -
>http://www.resinunlimited.com/ Go to PRODUCTS - LOCOMOTIVE"

That's the One! Check out the bulk carrier too, an 8' long excuse to build
the Walther's Ore Dock.

Don
don.de...@prodigy.net
http://www.geocities.com/don_dellmann/trains.html

Demetre Argiro

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
to Erik Meltzer
Erik Meltzer wrote:
. . . . . . .
There is some comfort in knowing that I'm not alone.

> A smoking corner in a restaurant is akin
> to a pissing corner in a swimming pool.

All I can say to that is AMEN!
Your English is outstanding:-)
I should be able to reply in Deutsch as well:-(

Demetre Argiro

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
to S C Sillato
S C Sillato wrote:
. . . . . . . .
> I'm about to start pulling the parts together for a C-430, any bets on
> someone bringing one out. . . . . . . .

I hate to tell you this, but Tyco has had one out already for years. Comes
ready to run with couplers and everything.

OUCH! Don't hit me again! I was only kidding.........

If Atlas did it It would be very hard to resist.
If Athearn did it I would faint dead away, since I don't think they have ever
done anything Alco except the DL304/DL305.

TOM

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
"C. Zeni" wrote:

> Fritz Milhaupt wrote:
> >
> > Andy Harman wrote:

> > > Yeah but its just the B-unit....
> >
> > And the 4S B unit would be the only thing on wheels that would look
> > stranger than a BL2 B unit. The BL2 B unit would probably end up looking
> > like Jim Teese's "Southern" BL3, which looked like one of those
> > streamlined "butter dish" Borden's milk cars.
>
> Not this one:
>
> http://www.mindspring.com/~clzeni/blt3.jpg
>
> unless the butter's gone waaaay bad.
>
> discussions of said beast on this list was Jim's inspiration for his...
> --
> Craig Zeni

From the end, it kinda lookks like a tank car with a cab... :>))

No, wait!!! I LIKE tank cars... REALLY, I do, and think of the money a
railroad could save if they transported bulk commodies with out
locomotives!!!

Incoming!!! :>))

<><><> TOM <><><>
-----------------

JOHN J. OLSON & DEBBIE NIESS

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
The two HO scale S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald's I have on order, for customers,
from Walthers (Resin Unlimited) measure 8 1/2' long. Sure hope they come in
sections- not in one piece!!! John- Jim's Junction

----------
In article <3833F9F3...@mindspring.com>, Demetre Argiro

Charles A Davis

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99

Whew!!!

It WILL fit in the garage.

Jim Six

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
Guys,

I see that there are tons of BL2 messages. Don't have time to read them
all, but believe me, don't waste your time putting an Athearn mechanism
under the P2K BL2 body. It is a whole lot easier to simply replace the P2K
trucks with Athearn Blomberg-B trucks that snap right in place. I have 3
P2K BL2s that I have done this with and they run perfectly -- just as good
as the newer P2K diesels.

Jim Six

Peter King

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
JOHN J. OLSON & DEBBIE NIESS wrote:

> The two HO scale S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald's I have on order, for customers,
> from Walthers (Resin Unlimited) measure 8 1/2' long. Sure hope they come in
> sections- not in one piece!!! John- Jim's Junction

It does! In fact, if you don't want the full ship, you can buy the bow
and stern, and as many center sections as you want.

Besides, have you ever seen a cardboard box that's 9' long?

Peter King in NY

Peter King

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
Jim Six wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I see that there are tons of BL2 messages. Don't have time to read them
> all, but believe me, don't waste your time putting an Athearn mechanism
> under the P2K BL2 body. It is a whole lot easier to simply replace the P2K
> trucks with Athearn Blomberg-B trucks that snap right in place. I have 3
> P2K BL2s that I have done this with and they run perfectly -- just as good
> as the newer P2K diesels.
>
> Jim Six

But Jim, part of what sparked this thread is the fact that there's a TON
of BL-2 bodies out there, because all of the mechanism have been
scavenged to replace Athearn mechanisms. If we don't make a concerted
effort to get Athearn mechanisms under all of those BL-2 shells, the
country will wind up seriously out of balance. Everything will tip, and
California will wind up all over the East Coast. California oranges
mixed with Florida oranges. UP yards in Norfolk. Avacado all over
EVERYTHING! Think of what a mess that would make!

Peter King in NY

Jim Six

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
Gulp . . . 8~( Guess this is what I get for not reading all 1000 of
those BL2 messages.

Jim

Andy Harman

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99
On Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:06:59 -0400, Demetre Argiro
<argi...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Let's see now......In HO scale that would be about the size of a Dodge Neon?
>Should fit in very nicely on the average home layout:-)

As long as the layout isn't built in a Dodge Neon...

Actually the full-length 1/87 Fitz would overhang a queen size bed a
few inches, unless you lay it diagonally...

Also love the line about it being "compatible" with the Walthers ore
dock. I guess if you've got a 4x8' section of your "train" layout you
can afford to devote to a boat, it would be compatible with that. And
the best thing about the 1/87 Fitz is your kids can ride downstream in
it!

Don't get me wrong, I love full scale modeling... but at the same time
I have to temper my desire to model "Chicago".

john a dalton

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99

>Peter King wrote in message <3835D71A...@prodigy.net>...

>>But Jim, part of what sparked this thread is the fact that there's a TON
>>of BL-2 bodies out there, because all of the mechanism have been
>>scavenged to replace Athearn mechanisms. If we don't make a concerted
>>effort to get Athearn mechanisms under all of those BL-2 shells, the
>>country will wind up seriously out of balance. Everything will tip, and
>>California will wind up all over the East Coast. California oranges
>>mixed with Florida oranges. UP yards in Norfolk. Avacado all over
>>EVERYTHING! Think of what a mess that would make!
>>
>>Peter King in NY

...then there's the avocado PITS to dispose of... :))

...they could always use them as aggregate in the repaving of
I-40...it would provide a decided improvement over the existing
pavement... :))

...big john... :))

It is loading more messages.