How to reset an old iPod touch 1G back to its default factory settings?

Ant

Oct 26, 2019, 3:40:54 PM10/26/19
How do I reset everything in a very old iPod touch 1G from 2008? I see
no reset back to default factory settings like in iPhones.

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
--
Why is this old ant still sick daily and almost all day, but with a nasty allergy (leaks, sneezes, and itches)? No cold, flu like from the end of August, etc. Also, minor muscle pain in left nipple area. Dang old body! :(
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org /

Ant

Oct 26, 2019, 5:27:27 PM10/26/19
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2019-10-26, Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> > How do I reset everything in a very old iPod touch 1G from 2008? I see
> > no reset back to default factory settings like in iPhones.

> Just couldn't bring yourself to type "reset iPod Touch" in a web
> browser, eh?

So, there's no way to reset in its iOS v3.1.3? iTunes' method doesn't
work due to its "There was a problem downloading this software for the
iPod '...' An unknown error occurred (400)..." error in iTunes as shown
in my http://screenshot.cz/6D/6DEWW/ituneserror.gif. I tried two updated
64-bit W7 HPE SP1 machines and a MacBook Pro's mac OS Sierra v10.12.6
with the same cable ISP. :( Did Apple remove this firmware or something?

nospam

Oct 26, 2019, 5:37:27 PM10/26/19
In article <G_GdnXgFauinJynA...@earthlink.com>, Ant
<a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> > > How do I reset everything in a very old iPod touch 1G from 2008? I see
> > > no reset back to default factory settings like in iPhones.
>
> > Just couldn't bring yourself to type "reset iPod Touch" in a web
> > browser, eh?
>
> So, there's no way to reset in its iOS v3.1.3? iTunes' method doesn't
> work due to its "There was a problem downloading this software for the
> iPod '...' An unknown error occurred (400)..." error in iTunes as shown
> in my http://screenshot.cz/6D/6DEWW/ituneserror.gif. I tried two updated
> 64-bit W7 HPE SP1 machines and a MacBook Pro's mac OS Sierra v10.12.6
> with the same cable ISP. :( Did Apple remove this firmware or something?

there's nothing to download, nor do you need to use itunes (although
you can).

on the ipod, in settings, there's a reset or erase all button. tap it
and wait for it to complete.

Ant

Oct 26, 2019, 11:39:03 PM10/26/19
It only offered me reset network and home screen layout, but not
everything like I see in iPhones' iOS.

nospam

Oct 26, 2019, 11:49:20 PM10/26/19
In article <x4-dnYjHL9HMjCjA...@earthlink.com>, Ant
<a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> > > So, there's no way to reset in its iOS v3.1.3? iTunes' method doesn't
> > > work due to its "There was a problem downloading this software for the
> > > iPod '...' An unknown error occurred (400)..." error in iTunes as shown
> > > in my http://screenshot.cz/6D/6DEWW/ituneserror.gif. I tried two updated
> > > 64-bit W7 HPE SP1 machines and a MacBook Pro's mac OS Sierra v10.12.6
> > > with the same cable ISP. :( Did Apple remove this firmware or something?
>
> > there's nothing to download, nor do you need to use itunes (although
> > you can).
>
> > on the ipod, in settings, there's a reset or erase all button. tap it
> > and wait for it to complete.
>
> It only offered me reset network and home screen layout, but not
> everything like I see in iPhones' iOS.

from iphone os 2, which should be the same or very similar to ios 3.1.3:
<https://www.imore.com/sites/imore.com/files/images/stories/2008/07/ipho
ne_20_settings_reset.jpg>

Ant

Oct 27, 2019, 12:42:31 AM10/27/19
Interesting. Yeah, I don't have "Erase All Content and Settings". I wonder why I
can't restore its iOS firmware from iTunes. Grr.

nospam

Oct 27, 2019, 9:56:33 AM10/27/19
In article <06-dnV0hoM6svSjA...@earthlink.com>, Ant
<a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> > > It only offered me reset network and home screen layout, but not
> > > everything like I see in iPhones' iOS.
>
> > from iphone os 2, which should be the same or very similar to ios 3.1.3:
> > <https://www.imore.com/sites/imore.com/files/images/stories/2008/07/ipho
> > ne_20_settings_reset.jpg>
>
> Interesting. Yeah, I don't have "Erase All Content and Settings". I wonder why I
> can't restore its iOS firmware from iTunes. Grr.

you should be able to do that as well.

Ant

Oct 27, 2019, 6:29:45 PM10/27/19
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> > Interesting. Yeah, I don't have "Erase All Content and Settings". I wonder why I
> > can't restore its iOS firmware from iTunes. Grr.

> you should be able to do that as well.

OK. I finally managed to reset everything back to defaults with a
downloaded iOS v3.1.3 firmware
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/iostimemachine/files/iPod%20Touch%201G/iPhone%20OS%203.1.3%20%287E18%29/
/ / http://www.whited00r.com/tools/iPod1,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw) to
restore via my 64-bit W7 HPE SP1 PC's iTunes. Also, the option shows up
in its stock firmware instead of Whited00r's v7.1. It's all good now. :)

nospam

Oct 27, 2019, 6:33:53 PM10/27/19
In article <_-KdnSmIMY_JhyvAn...@earthlink.com>, Ant
<a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> (https://sourceforge.net/projects/iostimemachine/files/iPod%20Touch%201G/iPhon
> e%20OS%203.1.3%20%287E18%29/
> / / http://www.whited00r.com/tools/iPod1,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw) to

that's not from apple.

you should get it directly from apple via itunes.

Ant

Oct 27, 2019, 10:42:00 PM10/27/19
Where? iTunes still fail with the same error from yesterday:
http://screenshot.cz/6D/6DEWW/ituneserror.gif. :( Does anyone have
Apple's hashes to compare with the ones I downloaded?

nospam

Oct 27, 2019, 11:09:38 PM10/27/19
In article <OIWdnX8FTOHuyCvA...@earthlink.com>, Ant
<a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> > you should get it directly from apple via itunes.
>
> Where? iTunes still fail with the same error from yesterday:
> http://screenshot.cz/6D/6DEWW/ituneserror.gif. :( Does anyone have
> Apple's hashes to compare with the ones I downloaded?

there are a few sites that list official apple download links, such as:
<https://www.iclarified.com/757/where-to-download-ipod-touch-firmware-fi
les-from>

Ant

Oct 27, 2019, 11:52:20 PM10/27/19

David Empson

Oct 28, 2019, 8:26:10 AM10/28/19
Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> > > Where? iTunes still fail with the same error from yesterday:
> > > http://screenshot.cz/6D/6DEWW/ituneserror.gif. :( Does anyone have
> > > Apple's hashes to compare with the ones I downloaded?
>
> > there are a few sites that list official apple download links, such as:
> > <https://www.iclarified.com/757/where-to-download-ipod-touch-firmware-fi
> > les-from>
>
> Thanks, but I don't see a v3.1.3 for 1G? I see v3.1.3 for 3G
>(http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iPhone/061-7473.20100202.4i44t/iPod3,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw).

3.x images for the first and second generation iPod Touch may have been
distributed via a different mechanism because they were paid upgrades
(as was 2.x for the first generation iPod Touch).

This discussion from a year ago shows the problem has been there for at
least a year.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8505805

This suggests that Apple no longer supplies a restore image of iPhone OS
3.x for the first or second generation iPod Touch. Apple is unlikely to
be interested in expending any effort to help with a model that stopped
getting new software versions over nine years ago and hasn't had
servicing support anywhere in the world for at least four years.

Installing an image from a third party source is likely to be your only
option for that iPod Touch, with the risk that it is not the genuine
article.

--
David Empson
dem...@actrix.gen.nz

nospam

Oct 28, 2019, 8:37:03 AM10/28/19
In article <1og6o6p.dp0yfi119be4nN%dem...@actrix.gen.nz>, David Empson
<dem...@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> 3.x images for the first and second generation iPod Touch may have been
> distributed via a different mechanism because they were paid upgrades
> (as was 2.x for the first generation iPod Touch).

true, but they later made it free.

> This discussion from a year ago shows the problem has been there for at
> least a year.
>
> https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8505805
>
> This suggests that Apple no longer supplies a restore image of iPhone OS
> 3.x for the first or second generation iPod Touch. Apple is unlikely to
> be interested in expending any effort to help with a model that stopped
> getting new software versions over nine years ago and hasn't had
> servicing support anywhere in the world for at least four years.

probably.