Keeping the music on my iPod Touch

1 view

MalcolmO

Sep 22, 2014, 3:21:36 PM9/22/14
My iTouch 3rd gen is running iOS 5.1.1 (Hey! Software update says it's
up to date! Even though it will run 6.)

My problem (a common one, no doubt) is that the old iMac with which I
first paired my iTouch has died. I'm now using an old Mac Mini as my
main machine and when I plug the iTouch into it, iTunes wants to delete
the music I have on it. I don't want to do this. I fed my CDs into the
iTunes library of the old dead iMac and I _don't_ want to have to go
looking for my CDs again. I _never_ play any media anymore (except in
the car, where I have 3 CDs that are not on my iTouch.

I know this is the way it was designed to work (for the benefit of
someone other than the customer, er, I mean "end user") but I'm really
annoyed at having to put up with this for no other reason that my iMac
died. If it hadn't died, I'd still be using it, if only for the damn iTouch.

Is there a way for me to get the tunes from my iTouch into the iTunes
library on my Mac Mini? This is a perfectly reasonable request!
--
Malcolm

Bruce Esquibel

Sep 22, 2014, 4:13:48 PM9/22/14
MalcolmO <us...@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Is there a way for me to get the tunes from my iTouch into the iTunes
> library on my Mac Mini? This is a perfectly reasonable request!

I don't think so. Been there, done that, gave up.

There is "transfer purchases" in iTunes but since you ripped them yourself,
they aren't purchases it'll copy.

The thing is, what went wrong with the old Mac? If you get the HD out of it,
stick it in one of those usb cases and mount it on the new mac, all the
music is in the iTunes music folder.

Just saying, you don't need the mac, just the drive the iTunes was on.

If you want to risk a jailbreak, remember if something goes wrong, it'll
erase the iPod, you can get to the mp3 files on there, they are in:

/private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music

but the files names are like:

F40/ZKJF.mp3
F18/RKAP.mp3

so you can get them out, but will have to go through them to rename them.

Maybe there is a tool to read the database to map the names to the file
names, not sure.

It'll just be a lot easier to get the old drive mounted via a usb cabinet
provided that isn't what "killed" the old mac.

-bruce
b...@ripco.com

nospam

Sep 22, 2014, 6:27:14 PM9/22/14
In article <lvpsro$msi$1...@dont-email.me>, MalcolmO <us...@domain.invalid>
wrote:
it's very simple. connect the backup drive to the new mac and copy it.
done. you do have a backup, right? if not, losing music is the least of
your worries.

you can even migrate the new machine from the backup and everything
will be exactly as it was before, including syncing. backups are for
exactly this scenario.

if not, you may be able to boot into target disk mode and connect to
the imac depending on what's wrong with it. if that doesn't work, you
can remove the drive from the imac, but that can be a hassle depending
on which model it is.

there are also apps that can copy music off an ipod.

David Empson

Sep 22, 2014, 8:38:01 PM9/22/14
MalcolmO <us...@domain.invalid> wrote:

> My iTouch 3rd gen is running iOS 5.1.1 (Hey! Software update says it's
> up to date! Even though it will run 6.)

iOS 5.1.1 is the maximum for a 3rd generation iPod Touch.

The 4th generation iPod Touch can be upgraded to iOS 6 (but not iOS 7).

> My problem (a common one, no doubt) is that the old iMac with which I
> first paired my iTouch has died. I'm now using an old Mac Mini as my
> main machine and when I plug the iTouch into it, iTunes wants to delete
> the music I have on it. I don't want to do this. I fed my CDs into the
> iTunes library of the old dead iMac and I _don't_ want to have to go
> looking for my CDs again. I _never_ play any media anymore (except in
> the car, where I have 3 CDs that are not on my iTouch.

Assuming you don't have a backup of the old iMac (and its hard drive
died rather than some other aspect of the computer)...

Hunt down the "Senuti" application, which apparently can copy music off
iPods and similar. I've never tried it as backups of my computer have
covered any situation where I might have needed it.

--
David Empson
dem...@actrix.gen.nz

Jolly Roger

Sep 22, 2014, 9:46:48 PM9/22/14
On 2014-09-23, David Empson <dem...@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> Hunt down the "Senuti" application, which apparently can copy music off
> iPods and similar. I've never tried it as backups of my computer have
> covered any situation where I might have needed it.

I've used Senuti plenty of times over the years, and it always has
worked just fine for copying music off various iOS devices I've owned.

JR

MalcolmO

Sep 23, 2014, 10:23:22 PM9/23/14
> what went wrong with the old Mac?

No response to pressing the On button. Moved house. Had the computer on
the front car seat for an uneventful drive. Put computer on floor and
left country for a month. When I came home, computer wouldn't turn on.

> you don't need the mac, just the drive the iTunes was on.

Yeah. In the iMac. Requires a Torx driver. Hope to borrow one before the
end of time. I'm sure the drive will work.

> If you want to risk a jailbreak, remember if something goes wrong, it'll
> erase the iPod, you can get to the mp3 files on there, they are in:
>
> /private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music

I presume that's a path on the iPod. I'm not going to jailbreak it.

> a lot easier to get the old drive mounted via a usb cabinet

Will actually use a drive cable when I get the HD out. But it seems like
the Senuti software is the way to go, though I won't get my current Mac
to the Inet anytime soon.

Thanks for replying, Bruce.
--
Malcolm

MalcolmO

Sep 23, 2014, 10:31:25 PM9/23/14
> you do have a backup, right?

The dead iMac _is_ the backup. :)

> you can even migrate the new machine from the backup and everything
> will be exactly as it was before, including syncing. backups are for
> exactly this scenario.

Never thought of that! Thanks for that. I've been using the new Mini for
about a year and it's 2 OSes beyond the 17" half-a-soccer-ball flat
panel iMac. So when I _do_ get a Torx driver and get the drive out and
attached, I won't migrate, just drag and drop whatever I might still
have an interest in, like the iTunes library, though Senuti may be the
solution I've been looking for.

Thanks for the reply, nospam.
--
Malcolm

MalcolmO

Sep 23, 2014, 10:35:27 PM9/23/14
> iOS 5.1.1 is the maximum for a 3rd generation iPod Touch.

Oh! I'd thought sure that 6 was allowed on the 3rd. But because that was
when the wonky Apple Maps appeared, I held off. By the time I was ready,
the iMac had croaked. I thought maybe they'd stopped 'stocking' 6.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

> Hunt down the "Senuti" application

Ding, ding, ding. We presume we have the winning answer here. Thanks a
lot for that, David.
--
Malcolm

MalcolmO

Sep 23, 2014, 10:36:32 PM9/23/14
> I've used Senuti plenty of times over the years, and it always has
> worked just fine for copying music off various iOS devices I've owned.

And that testimony is why I expect to be a happy camper ere long.
Thanks, Roger.
--
Malcolm

nospam

Sep 23, 2014, 10:50:41 PM9/23/14
In article <lvtadj$npd$1...@dont-email.me>, MalcolmO <us...@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> > you do have a backup, right?
>
> The dead iMac _is_ the backup. :)

that's not a backup.

a backup would be a clone or time machine archive of its contents.

> > you can even migrate the new machine from the backup and everything
> > will be exactly as it was before, including syncing. backups are for
> > exactly this scenario.
>
> Never thought of that! Thanks for that. I've been using the new Mini for
> about a year and it's 2 OSes beyond the 17" half-a-soccer-ball flat
> panel iMac. So when I _do_ get a Torx driver and get the drive out and
> attached, I won't migrate, just drag and drop whatever I might still
> have an interest in, like the iTunes library, though Senuti may be the
> solution I've been looking for.

it's much better to migrate it, especially for the itunes library which
will keep the new mac as the 'host' for syncing. you can choose what it
migrates if you don't want everything.

> Thanks for the reply, nospam.

you're welcome.

MalcolmO

Sep 24, 2014, 4:55:44 PM9/24/14
On 23/09/2014 10:50 PM, nospam wrote:
> that's not a backup.
>
> a backup would be a clone or time machine archive of its contents.
> that's not a backup.
>
> a backup would be a clone or time machine archive of its contents.

I'm familiar with the concept; I was just being (perhaps less than) amusing.

> you can choose what it
> migrates if you don't want everything.

Didn't realize, never having migrated before. When the time comes, I'll
use your suggestion. Thanks again.
--
Malcolm