iPod Touch 1G's App Store crashes?

Ant

Aug 22, 2018, 4:59:39 PM8/22/18
Earlier today, I booted up my decade old iPod Touch 1G from the closet.
After power charging its battery back to life to 100%, I went to play
with it. However, its App Store app crashes. Does anyone else have this
problem too if they still have it?
--
Quote of the Week: "Look not to the windmill's turning while the ant still burrows." --unknown
/\___/\Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org / http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o o| | ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and URL/link.
\ _ /
( )

Bruce Esquibel

Aug 25, 2018, 12:59:43 PM8/25/18
Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:
> Earlier today, I booted up my decade old iPod Touch 1G from the closet.
> After power charging its battery back to life to 100%, I went to play
> with it. However, its App Store app crashes. Does anyone else have this
> problem too if they still have it?

For what it is worth, I have a 2nd gen (ios 4.2.1) and the app store app
works, but nothing really to download, "incompatable with this ipod" for
pretty much everything.

Can still copy stuff to it from iTunes.

-bruce
b...@ripco.com

Ant

Aug 25, 2018, 1:54:43 PM8/25/18
Hmm. I guess only iPod Touch 1G's App Store crashes and is fully
unsupported. :(

David Empson

Aug 26, 2018, 4:54:51 PM8/26/18
Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:

> Bruce Esquibel <b...@ripco.com> wrote:
> > Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:
> > > Earlier today, I booted up my decade old iPod Touch 1G from the closet.
> > > After power charging its battery back to life to 100%, I went to play
> > > with it. However, its App Store app crashes. Does anyone else have this
> > > problem too if they still have it?
>

> > For what it is worth, I have a 2nd gen (ios 4.2.1) and the app store app
> > works, but nothing really to download, "incompatable with this ipod" for
> > pretty much everything.
>
> > Can still copy stuff to it from iTunes.
>
> Hmm. I guess only iPod Touch 1G's App Store crashes and is fully
> unsupported. :(

Describing it as an "iPod Touch 1G" is only part of the question. Which
OS version is it running?

The original iPod Touch shipped with iPhone OS 1.1, and there were paid
options to upgrade it to iPhone OS 2 and iPhone OS 3.

App Store didn't exist until iPhone OS 2, so the questions are whether
it is running 3.x, and whether it is running the final update of the
major version (2.2.1 or 3.2.2).

You should be able to see which version it is running by going into
Settings > General > About, or by plgging it in to a computer running
iTunes.

Once you know the version, you need to find someone with an original
iPhone or iPod Touch running the same version (or an iPhone 3G/3GS or
2nd/3rd generation iPod Touch that wasn't fully updated) and see whether
App Store works for them. Finding someone is going to be the problem.
I'd start with a Google search for any complaints with similar symptoms
in recent years.

The problem might be that App Store no longer supports some very old iOS
versions (I don't recall seeing anything about that). The chances of it
working are better if your iPod Touch's OS is up to date.

It could just be a problem with your iPod and it needs to be erased and
restored using iTunes.
--
David Empson
dem...@actrix.gen.nz

Ant

Aug 27, 2018, 6:29:18 PM8/27/18
David Empson <dem...@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
> Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:

> > Bruce Esquibel <b...@ripco.com> wrote:
> >

> > > For what it is worth, I have a 2nd gen (ios 4.2.1) and the app store app
> > > works, but nothing really to download, "incompatable with this ipod" for
> > > pretty much everything.
> >
> > > Can still copy stuff to it from iTunes.
> >
> > Hmm. I guess only iPod Touch 1G's App Store crashes and is fully
> > unsupported. :(

> Describing it as an "iPod Touch 1G" is only part of the question. Which
> OS version is it running?

The latest one: iOS v3.1.3.

> The original iPod Touch shipped with iPhone OS 1.1, and there were paid
> options to upgrade it to iPhone OS 2 and iPhone OS 3.

Paid? Seriously?

> App Store didn't exist until iPhone OS 2, so the questions are whether
> it is running 3.x, and whether it is running the final update of the
> major version (2.2.1 or 3.2.2).

> You should be able to see which version it is running by going into
> Settings > General > About, or by plgging it in to a computer running
> iTunes.

iOS v3.1.3. :)

> Once you know the version, you need to find someone with an original
> iPhone or iPod Touch running the same version (or an iPhone 3G/3GS or
> 2nd/3rd generation iPod Touch that wasn't fully updated) and see whether
> App Store works for them. Finding someone is going to be the problem.
> I'd start with a Google search for any complaints with similar symptoms
> in recent years.

That is why I was asking in here, Apple's forum, and Reddit. ;)

> The problem might be that App Store no longer supports some very old iOS
> versions (I don't recall seeing anything about that). The chances of it
> working are better if your iPod Touch's OS is up to date.

> It could just be a problem with your iPod and it needs to be erased and
> restored using iTunes.

Yeah, if no one has this issue. :(
--
Quote of the Week: "One day he sprained an ankle rather than crush an ant." --Les Miserables

nospam

Aug 27, 2018, 7:19:11 PM8/27/18
In article <YPydnTNBAd6k5hnG...@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:

> > The original iPod Touch shipped with iPhone OS 1.1, and there were paid
> > options to upgrade it to iPhone OS 2 and iPhone OS 3.
>
> Paid? Seriously?

yep. blame sarbanes-oxley, which forced them (and others) to charge for
'new features'.

Ant

Aug 28, 2018, 5:35:23 PM8/28/18
[sighs]